Quantcast Harness For Toddler

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Harness For Toddler

Does anybody know where I can get a nice good quality harness for a very active 2 year old? We will be traveling to the world in January and I will be taking my own stroller, but he is very active and independant and I want to be able to let him walk but still have control over him. Has anybody used one of these and found a good one that would work for something like this?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Salisbury, Md 14 hours, 21 minutes or 903.36 miles From Disney
    Post Thanks / Like

We used the lil animal back pack type harnesses last year and they were great for our DD's. it allowed them to get up and walk and not wander off to far. only thing is they can get a lil hot where the pack sits on their back so we would make sure that when they sat in teh stroller they did not have it on . theyactually used the animal part as a pillow when in the stroller. you can find them in walmart in the baby section, we have the dog and the monkey.
    ºoº Josette ºoº
    ~*~Next up~*~
    November 2015
    Surprise trip(Pop Century)

Just because I cannot see it, doesn't mean I can't believe it! -Jack Skellington

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thanks for bringing up this topic (BeccaO) and thank you (tinklover) for your response. We have an active 2yr daughter and we were wondering the same thing.
    °o°°o°°o°°o°°o°°o°°o°°o°°o°°o°°o°°o°°o°°o°°o°
    Kevin
    CSR - Dec 2014
    CSR - Dec 2013
    POP - Oct. 2012
    POP - Dec. 2010
    AKL - Dec. 2008
    BC - Nov. 2004
    Holiday Inn - Oct. 1992 [Honeymoon]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to harness bash, but I just wanted to point out something many harness users overlook. A kid on a harness can be a trip hazard for the elderly or for adults with mobility issues. My mom is somewhat unsteady on her feet and it is hard for her to quickly react when a kid on a harness jumps across the path. Please pay attention to your kids and to the potential danger a harness can cause. I've seen a few close calls and I know harnesses always make my mom nervous.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I come from a family that has used a harness for years. We have never had an issue with using one, it's not like a dog leash where you allow the child to be 10 feet in front of you, you allow the child freedom but at the same time keep them close. I was actually prepared for some negative feedback from this post, many people against harnesses have never raised an active 2 year old.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one for our very active 18 month old for our January trip. I got it at Target. It's a very cute animal one like one of the previous posters said.

Good luck! Have a magical vacation!!
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

You actually can also make your own if you need to. When our 2 oldest children were young these things weren't being made commercially yet. So I took a heavy duty piece of rope (so it couldn't cut into them) fashioned a harness that wrapped over the shoulders between the legs and around the waist to tie in back. (the one between the legs was a much thinner piece of rope.) Then my wife sewed some quilt lining to some fabric and then sewed that around the ropes so they were comfy and away we went!! I realized several years later that I should have patented my design!

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the harness being too hot, you could always bring an ice pack in a cooler and just put it in the backpack. Or even some frozen or cooled juice boxes or capri suns if you have a fridge in your room.
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Disney Doll for making sure we remember, "Safety 1st!"

Most of the newer animal/backpack harnesses are not very long. I think the older harnesses were a bit longer. I was one of those "harnesses are horrible!" people when I was a teen. It only takes one second of losing a child to change your mind, (unless, of course, you have perfect children ). It's the worst feeling in the world! In terms of safety, a harness also prevents small children from darting in front of people.

I just have to add...I have a SNL: Best of Mike Meyers DVD. One skit has him as an ADHD kid in a harness attached to a metal jungle gym at a playground. Nicole Kidman plays the little girl talking to him. I can just picture him running away from the jungle gym and being jerked back by the harness over and over again! I have an irreverent sense of humor and I busted up laughing when I saw that skit.
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousefever View Post

I just have to add...I have a SNL: Best of Mike Meyers DVD. One skit has him as an ADHD kid in a harness attached to a metal jungle gym at a playground. Nicole Kidman plays the little girl talking to him. I can just picture him running away from the jungle gym and being jerked back by the harness over and over again! I have an irreverent sense of humor and I busted up laughing when I saw that skit.
    That is one of my favorite skits ever! Wasn't he wearing a helmet too?? I know- inappropriate but really funny!
    More than 12 times at the world and counting!

Once-a yuoo gu svedeesh, yuoo nefer gu beck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousefever View Post

I love that skit!

We purchased a harness for our 2 year old and 1 year old in September from wal-mart. It is back and light weight (which is nice on those hot days), and has a removable leash for when you’re on rides. You can leave the actual harness on, but remove the leash. Munchkin makes this particular harness it was only about 6 or 7 dollars. We loved this harness! We also inside the harness sewed a label with our child’s name and an emergency contact number incase they ever do get away. Hope the info helps!
    Next Visit: Fall 2013

Now approaching the Carousel of Progress

We have 999 happy haunts here, but there's room for a thousand. Any volunteers?? If you should decide to join us, final arrangements, may be made at the end of the tour.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank-you all so very much for the great info!!! We will be going in January when the weather is usually quite a bit cooler, so I don't think I will have to worry about the sweating under the harness. The post about the SNL skit made me laugh out loud!!!! I vividly remember that skit, we used to make fun of my nephew because he would get hyper after eating chocolate which was part of that skit also and my sister used a harness on him. What a great flashback!!!! Again, safety is always fore-front in my mind no matter what the case. I now have enough info to go ahead and purchase a harness for our trip in 35 days!!!!!! Soon it will be time for me to do the single digit dance!!!! Thanks to all!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I actually bought a plain harness at Walmart (just plain black straps-no backpack) because I was also worried about my son taking off. It ended up I didn't need it (this trip), but it was less expensive than the backpack type....
    Tam
    12/03-offsite 6/04-offsite
    11/04-FW Campground
    6/05-offsite
    12/05 Magical Gathering!-House rental
    6/06-offsite 10/06-offsite
    1/08-First trip with baby!!
    Universal-11/08 HRH. Added MVMCP and a day at Epcot for my Disney fix!
    1/2010, 11/10-offsite

6/16-Booked at POP

Post Thanks / Like

I always use the harness on my son when we go to the mall or someplace where there are lots of people. He usually is very good about walking with me but as all toddlers are he gets distracted easily and will try to wander.

When it is said about people with mobility problems, etc, while I do understand that I am going to be selfish and a little like House and say I would rather have my child safe and not run away or have a chance to get lost in a crowd or, get kidnapped than worry about somebody falling down.

Post Thanks / Like

The nice thing is that we can accomplish both goals at once! We can safely harness kiddos while making sure that they are not crossing the path of others! It's a win-win, instead of an either-or!
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I never said it was an either or and I do make sure I reel in my son when he tries to run wild while in the harness.

If it is at a crowded Disney or a crowded mall at Christmas, my single concern would be my son and not necessarily somebody else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    When it is said about people with mobility problems, etc, while I do understand that I am going to be selfish and a little like House and say I would rather have my child safe and not run away or have a chance to get lost in a crowd or, get kidnapped than worry about somebody falling down.
    If your child causes a person with mobility problems to fall most likely they would be falling ONTO your child so I mention that as much for the children as for the people with mobility issues and yes I do think your stance is a bit selfish. For those of you who are keeping your child close anyway or who are using newer shorter harnesses, thank you! Like I said before I have seen some close calls where parents think that because their kid is wearing a harness that they don't have to watch as carefully when the reverse is probably true. Harness does not automatically guarantee safety. I'm not saying anything negative about harnesses or whether I would or would not use one, I just want people to be careful and use them safely. By the way, I am a parent of a toddler so I understand the concern.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

We used two different types both from babies r us, one was a basic harness and the other was a wrist strap with tether. Both worked great when DD was 2 1/2. She was one of those kids that would just barrel off at something and not look back. I had to travel alone with DD many times to visit DH in military, I never went anywhere without them.
    WORK TO PAY FOR DISNEY
    2020 June SOG
    2017 MNSSHP POP
    2014 August Shades of Green
    2012 August POP
    2008 September POP
    2007 April Shades of Green
    2004 April Shades of Green
    2001 March Shades of Green
    1998 December Shades of Green
    1995 March off site

Post Thanks / Like

Our first trip with our 4 year old I bought one from the gift shop at ASM but it isn't like the one attached to a backpack...It attached to your wrist and your childs...That way was easy so if they were tired of holding your hand you could just give them a little slack and they could walk on their own...It gave me a little peace about walking through big crowds and not losing her...
    Amy
    80 Camping ºoº
    89 Offsite ºoº
    05 ASM ºoº
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to go to youtube and look up that SNL skit, sounds hilarious!
    I am not expecting my first little one until January, so I won't have to worry about this for two years or so, but I did make an impromptu harness one time. I was teaching 2nd grade and I had this student who was always wandering away from the class, refusing to come in off the playground, etc. I had even had to have a conference with his parents about it. One of our field trips that year was to a very crowded venue with a lot of walking. I could just imagine this kid wandering off and getting lost and then me having to call the cops and the parents and explain what had happened. I cut a piece of yarn and told him before we left, "If you wander away from me even one time, I will tie one end to your wrist and one end to my wrist and we will be attached all day long because I don't want to risk losing you or you getting hurt." He was a perfect angel and I didn't even need to think about using it!

Unfortunately you can't reason with an active two year old that way!

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: