Quantcast Tidbits October 2008

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Tidbits October 2008

Tidbits
    October 2008

Third Tweak a Charm?

10/27/08Entertainment Cast are reporting that a third iteration of the "Dream Come True" parade will be debuting at the Magic Kingdom in Early 2009. Cast Rehearsals for a new parade tentatively title "Celebrate Dreams Come True" have been reportedly scheduled for January 2009. Beyond some minor troupe changes the biggest changes from the second iteration will reportedly be made to the "It Was All Started with a Mouse" and the "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes" floats.

These new reports appear to confirm the that previously announced plan to bring the Parade of Dreams to the Magic Kingdom have at least been postponed if not canceled.

Mission: Possible

10/27/08Limited Guest Test Runs began over the weekend. Based on reports of the Guest and Cast Test Runs, it appears that the operation of the permanent attraction will be quite different than the trial version in 2006. Rather than a continues adventure, these test runs have been presented as a collection of individual adventures. According to the reports, Guests pick up a Kimunicator at the headquarters in Innoventions or at one of the carts around World Showcase and are placed in a virtual queue. When it is their turn, their Kimunicator becomes active and they are instructed which pavilion to go to. Once the mission in that pavilion is complete, they can end their adventure or request to be placed back into the queue for another adventure at one of the distribution areas. Unlike the test run in 2006 which was continuous, it appears that the permanent version will have Guests participating off and on for as long as they wish. According to Epcot Cast, the attraction is scheduled to officially debut November 12, 2008.

10/22/08
    Cast Only Test Runs for the
    Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure at Epcot are currently underway. Based on these test runs it appears that Guests will use Kimmunicators that look like flip cell phones and will be able to start and end their adventure at any of the pavilions participating in the adventure. Each participating pavilion has unveiled a Kimmunicator Distribution Cart which reportedly appears to operate as both the pick-up and return station for the devices. Additionally, Cast Training for the attraction has begun. Although an official start date has yet to be announced, Epcot Cast have reported that the attraction could debut for Guests as early as next week.

Announced Details on the attraction and description of the 2006 Test Run can be found in
    New Ultra-Interactive Attraction at Epcot

Passholder Perk

10/19/08 Disney's Animal Kingdom has instituted a new program exclusively for Passholders. The park will now feature a Passholder exclusive speaker series on select dates through-out the year. The first event in the series was held on October 18, 2008 on the topic of "The Year of the Frog". Passholders should watch the Passholder website for information on future event dates and topics.

Gazing into a Crystal Book?

10/19/08 The first purchasers of Birnbaum's Official Guide to Walt Disney World 2009 have potentially been given a preview of two major happenings planned for the Magic Kingdom in 2009. According to the book, Space Mountain will be closed for refurbishment "for much of 2009" and the Parade of Dreams parade will debut as the new afternoon parade at the Magic Kingdom park at an uncited date in 2009. Both of these items have been previously reported by Cast being in the planning stages. Although these published statements present a moderate likelihood for these events to occur, plans may have changed since the guide went to print. Specific to the parade change, there has been some doubt cast on these plans still being in motion due to this change not being mentioned along with the other new entertainment announced for 2009 at the Magic Kingdom earlier this month.

Character Changes

10/19/08 Character Cast have reported that Disney's Hollywood Studios will be discontinuing its evening Character Meet & Greet around the park's iconic Sorcerer's Hat. In lieu of this offering, Character Cast report that a similar line-up of assorted Characters will begin meet and greet appearances in the post-show area of the Magic of Disney Animation attraction once daily circa 5:00 pm. Although a specific date was not reported, the change is expected to take place during the week of October 20, 2008. The change over is scheduled to be be initiated October 24, 2008. (*info clarified 10/23, Thanks Joel )

10/12/08 Goofy’s Beach Blast Breakfast at the Cape May Café in Disney’s Beach Club resort has changed it’s character line-up. The breakfast has retired Chip and Dale and introduced Donald Duck. Goofy and Minnie Mouse remain part of the line-up.

A Whirlwind of Change

10/12/08 As the refurbishment of Primeval Whirl progresses, the extensiveness of the work is becoming more apparent. With much of the attraction’s track above the construction walls, it has been visible that cranes are removing large sections of the track. There have still been no details released in regard to the aim of the refurbishment.

A Larger Voyage

10/12/08 Effective March 1,2009, the Magical Fireworks Voyage will no longer be exclusive to Grand Gathering parties and will become available to all Guests regardless of party size. The cost for this revised experience will be $53.99 for Guests 10 and up and $30.99 for Guests ages 3 – 9 years old.

Curtain Call

10/12/08 It has been internally announced that FastPass distribution has been suspended at show based attractions from October 1, 2008 through September 30, 2009. The affected attractions include Mickey’s PhilharMagic, Stitch’s Great Escape, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, The Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Lights, Motors, Action!, Honey, I Shrunk the Audience!, and It’s Tough to be a Bug. A reason for the suspension was reportedly not cited.

Cars on the Move

10/12/08 The new themed Cars meet and greet has opened in the former location of the Al’s Toy Barn façade. The new meet and greet location features a façade of Luigi’s Casa Della Tires. The new meet and greet has been re-dubbed “Meet the CARS” and is currently operating intermittently from 10:00 am till 6:00 pm daily.

Would you like (more than) fries with that?

10/12/08 Two of McDonald’s Three French Fries kiosks will be expanding their menu in Late 2008 and Early 2009. It has been internally announced that PetriFries at Disney’s Animal Kingdom will close for refurbishment November 2 –21, 2008 and Frontierland Fries at The Magic Kingdom will be closed for refurbishment now through January 10, 2009; both locations will re-open with expanded menus serving McDonald’s brand fries, wraps, and chicken nuggets. When PetriFries re-opens, it will do so with a new name to reflect its expanded offerings – TriloBites. It has not yet been announced if Frontierland Fries will re-open with a new name; however, it has been announced that the location will re-open with a new building-shaped kiosk and a small seating area to the side.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Closing the New World of Tomorrow

10/12/08 Epcot Cast have reported that the Epcot “Creating the New World of Tomorrow” Gallery located in Innoventions has closed. The gallery, which operated for approximately one year, featured artifacts and history from the theme park’s first 25 years as part of the park’s subdued 25th Anniversary celebration. It has not been announced how this space will be used in the future.

Dino Details

10/12/08 New details have been announced regarding the T-Rex Restaurant scheduled to open on October 14, 2008 in the Downtown Disney Marketplace. The restaurant will operate 11:00 am till 11:00 pm Sunday through Thursday and 11:00 am till Midnight on Friday & Saturday. The Build-A-Dino Workshop by Build-A-Bear is currently schedule to open with the restaurant. The location has been announced to not participate in the Disney Dining Plan package add-on, however the location will be honored as part of the Premium, Platinum and Wine and Dine Vacation Packages. Annual Passholder and Disney Vacation Club member related dining discounts will be accepted beginning January 5, 2009.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the updates.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

That's sort of odd news about the Fast Pass suspension ... could it be a cost cutting effort? Seems like they could save some CM's manning the Fast Pass stations and also save the paper, wear and tear on the machines, etc.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.

To be honest, I've always felt it was odd for show based attractions to have FP anyway.
    ºoº Joe ºoº
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it will make too much of a difference without the show FPs. There were days where they wouldn't have any out.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tidbits October 2008: Updated 10/12 with T-Rex, FastPass, & Character Updates + More

Thanks for the update. I agree that there is no loss to discontinuing the fastpass on these venues. We just got back from DW and scouted out the new t-rex. It looks to be a good addition for people with children and has a similar feel as Rainforest Cafe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    That's sort of odd news about the Fast Pass suspension ... could it be a cost cutting effort? Seems like they could save some CM's manning the Fast Pass stations and also save the paper, wear and tear on the machines, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHORTY View Post
    Thanks for the report.

To be honest, I've always felt it was odd for show based attractions to have FP anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    I don't think it will make too much of a difference without the show FPs. There were days where they wouldn't have any out.
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMommie View Post
    Thanks for the update. I agree that there is no loss to discontinuing the fastpass on these venues. We just got back from DW and scouted out the new t-rex. It looks to be a good addition for people with children and has a similar feel as Rainforest Cafe.

Thanks Jason! I agree with everyone else...those attractions really didn't need FP...
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

"TriloBites" - that is too funny!
    "Believe me, it's the most exciting and challenging assignment we have ever tackled at Walt Disney Productions."
    Walt Disney speaking on the future Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks Jason!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update. It's been a while.

I think suspending or discontinuing FastPass on those attractions is a great move on Disney's part. If it is a cost cutting thing, I think it's a smart move. It's a move that goes almost unnoticed and has little if any effect on the guest. It's also encouraging to see that they're looking at all kinds of ways to cut cost.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jason!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

The saddest tidbit for me was the end of the World of Tomorrow site.Last month when I visited WDW this was one of my favorite new things.I loved seeing many of the things I bought in EPCOT back in the 80's under glass as exhibits now.I mostly loved seeing the robot and a few other itmes from my favorite-now gone-exhibit,'Horizons'.
    I would love for both MK and EPCOT to establish a permanent 'museum' of the parks to show the progress of each park over the many decades.
    1981(FW) 1982(FW) 1983(FW) 1984(FW) 1985(FW)
    1986(FW) 1987(FW) 1989-2x(FW) 2004(ASMO)2008(CSR)

You can't just let it go...not even on your birthday.

Post Thanks / Like

T-Rex not being part of the MYW DDP? Have they done that with any other place? Only counting them on the Premium, Platinum, etc plans?
    May your lines be short; the magic be plenty; and may you always remember to gather your belongings before exiting your vacation.

And many others ongoing....
    Poly/AKL Dec '09
    CSR: Dec '02
    WL: Dec '01
    WL: Oct '00
    BW: Oct '99
    Offsite(blech): '93

Post Thanks / Like

i think the fast pass thing makes sense, since (in my opinion) some of those shows aren't that busy when i've gone in past years, the fast pass seems to be a waste. the only show that i did really like it for, was voyage of the little mermaid. that show seems to have a long wait for me, and always seems to fills up fast

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

**Update**

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

......They got rid of the Fantasmic meets? Seriously? And moved them indoors....how stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the updates.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I know the rumors about Space Mountain have been floating around for awhile. We'll be in Disney the 9th-16th, and Splash Mountain will be down for refurb the whole time. I hope Space Mountain won't be down then also--I personally don't like roller coasters, but the other people in my group would be disappointed to have them both down at the same time. I hope they at least wait until the end of the splash refurb to close space.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: