Quantcast I finally rode the re-furbished Spaceship Earth

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I finally rode the re-furbished Spaceship Earth

I was able to ride Spaceship Earth last week for the first time since the controversial refurbishment, here is my opinion.

I really liked the changes they made to the first half of the ride. The updates were wonderful the ride was very up to date. I think we rode it four times allowing me to really enjoy the great detail that was paid to each scene (I especially liked the scene in the garage where the PC is being created).

One scene that struck me as odd though was with the advent of the printing press. I didn't find the paper boy in the corner with his back to the riders that odd, I assume he is supposed to be selling to the street scene depicted behind him. What had me puzzled was from all of the times I've ridden SE I assumed this was the early 1900's. The scene and clothing the boy is wearing reminds me of New York city in the 1900 - 1910 range but the news paper headline is the Civil War is over. The scene doesn't strike me as 1865.

The narration by Judy Dench was a major let down. She doesn't have the same commanding style Jeremy Irons has. I tried very hard to give her a fair chance before judging but even after four times riding she just seemed out of place. To be fair, Jeremy Iron narration was an A+ so comparing anyone to him would most likely have been a let down.

And then the ending, let me first start by saying my kids loved it and wanted to ride SE over and over again just because of it. My impression was it's cute but it doesn't fit the ride. The whole first half of the ride is a build up of how communication developed over the years with a very serious tone to it. The ending is a cartoonish look into my future with no relevance. It seems like two different ride styles. I would relate it best by saying if it were in film the first half was Gladiator with Russel Crowe while the ending was Bugs Bunny in a bull fighting skit. They just don't fit well together.

I'd give the refurbishment of the first half an A+, the second half a C (would be an F if not for my kids) and the narration a B-.

On a side note, do you think the imagineer's were trying to appease the Horizon's fans by giving us the ability to finish the ride by choosing our future during the end part of the ride?
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G View Post
    On a side note, do you think the imagineer's were trying to appease the Horizon's fans by giving us the ability to finish the ride by choosing our future during the end part of the ride?
    Who knows what they're thinking nowadays!
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, I think the Imagineers aren't being permitted to actually execute a whole lot of projects these days ($$$) ... just dream them up. So an idea that's infectious in the Imagineerena probably finds its way out in funny ways sometimes.

If they were going to upgrade SE, then I think it's wonderful that they gave the narrative job to a woman, for once. And Dame Judy is as authorative as they come, even though her voicebox doesn't resonate as prior readers' did.

As for the ending, I prefer something interactive to just watching still-lifes pass by the car in reverse. And as for the 1950s-Warner-Bros-Style animation (personally I love the style, so I'm sold on that), even though it doesn't match the rest of the ride in style (what could?), I think someone had a wonderful idea and executed it in a very cute, very interesting manner. I'm in the technology field, and the fact that one snapshot can produce four faces paired properly (and pretty much only faces) and stuck on the figures on the little screen is a blast.

Knowing how hard jobs can be and how hard life is sometimes, I'd rather not castigate someone for changing something from what it used to be. I'm fine with the ride (we rode it four times our last trip, mainly because of the ending). I can live with it all and find what to appreciate in its own right.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

I was really dreading the refurbishment after reading all the reviews but when we rode in June I didn't think it was as bad as I expected. And like the above poster, my older kids loved it and rode it over and over again (9 and 12 years old).
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the new SSE is GREAT!! Defiently a well-worth and long overdue rehab. I found the end of the ride to be very enterntainment and well-done, it is supposed to be fun and at the same time interactive. I also like the post-show as the postcard email is always a great souvenier to find in your inbox when you get home, and the best part its a FREE picture! I think SIEMENS is a great sponsor.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff G, thanks for your personnel view on SE. Sooo many people have dissed it badly, and sometimes not very constructevly.

We all loved the ride, even though I still have fond memories of the way it was. But I was getting tierd of the old ride after riding it a gzillion times.

My DD9 and DS7 too loved the ending. Your Buggs Bunny comparison was wonderful. Couldnt have put it better myself
    1991 CBR
    1996 ASS
    2006 PC
    2008 PC
    2010 BC
    Next visiting May 2012 YC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by btharvey View Post
    Knowing how hard jobs can be and how hard life is sometimes, I'd rather not castigate someone for changing something from what it used to be. I'm fine with the ride (we rode it four times our last trip, mainly because of the ending). I can live with it all and find what to appreciate in its own right.
    First, let me state that I was being fair by praising the first half of the ride with the change made and I also offered that my kids really enjoyed the ending.

That said, I was offering my opinion on the ride. I wasn't ripping the ride, I was simply stating how I felt about the changes. Just because some one put hard work into making this doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm sure a lot of hard work and effort went into Stitches Great Escape but I still cannot stand it.

In MY opinion the I don't like the ending. I did my best to detail why and as stated above my kids loved it. One positive note, in the past this was a once and done ride for my family even had I wanted to ride it again. Now my kids were bugging to ride it again.

Quote Originally Posted by hardingella View Post
    Jeff G, thanks for your personnel view on SE. Sooo many people have dissed it badly, and sometimes not very constructevly.

We all loved the ride, even though I still have fond memories of the way it was. But I was getting tierd of the old ride after riding it a gzillion times.

My DD9 and DS7 too loved the ending. Your Buggs Bunny comparison was wonderful. Couldnt have put it better myself
    I too love Spaceship Earth and it will continue to be a must ride. The old ending did need an update. There are so many great possibilites and to me the imagineers took an easy way out. A cartoon of me going on a vacation on a solar powered ship just didn't do it for me. My biggest ppoint is it just doesn't flow with the majesty of the rest of the ride.
    '94 & '97 Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, I remember when everyone was complaining about Jeremy Iron's narration relacing Walter Cronkite.
    FatherForce
    91 - Off site
    94 - Dixie Landings
    95 - Wilderness Lodge
    97 - Grand Floridian
    01 - Boardwalk/Animal Kingdom Lodge
    03 - AKL/Polynesian
    04 - AKL/All Star Movies
    05 - Grand Californian
    06 - WL/3 Day Disney Cruise
    07- Dixie Landings (PORS)
    09 - Ploy
    Jan 7-12 2013 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

My 7 YO niece loved it! I was shocked and thought she would be bored. She can't wait to go back and ride it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review! I can't wait to ride it in a few months.

The last time I rode it was in 2001 - can't remember if it was Irons or Cronkite doing the end narration
    One little spark of inspiration, is at the heart of all creation.
    - Dreamfinder

July 1976 - offsite
    June 1988 - offsite

June 1991 - Disney's Village Resort
    June 1993 - Dixie Landings

June 2001 - offsite

APRIL 2009 - PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE
    Dec 2010 - Somewhere in the World, probably POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wickster1970 View Post
    Thanks for the review! I can't wait to ride it in a few months.

The last time I rode it was in 2001 - can't remember if it was Irons or Cronkite doing the end narration
    Walter Cronkite was replaced by Jeremy Irons in 1994. I was lucky enough to ride SE a week before they refurbished it in 1994 it so I've been able to hear Cronkite, Irons & Dench.
    '94 & '97 Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by btharvey View Post
    IMHO, I think the Imagineers aren't being permitted to actually execute a whole lot of projects these days ($$$) ... just dream them up.
    1) Maybe.
    2) But, I seriously think it is a case of imagination going atrophy.
    3) The creativity just doesn't exist any longer.
    4) Given a budget, one can do a lot if one is creative enough.
    5) Sure, there a couple of rides done nicely as of late.
    6) But, even odds say you have to get 1-out-of-10 right.
    7) But, I can lay a lot of blame on Imagineers for
    . . . California Adventure - do I need to explain?
    . . . Disney Studios Paris - looks like a row of military quonset huts
    . . . Disney Hong Kong - way too small, way not enough rides
    . . . Disneyland Paris - will never make money
    . . . Animal Kingdom - big, but few attractions

NOTE: I have heard that there is a morale issue among Imagineers. IF that is true, one can easily deduce it is because they realize the poor job done in the new-parks development arena.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the new version of SSE also. The scene that the OP refers to with the boy selling papers that state the Civil war has ended had me perplexed for a different reason.
    In the scene there is an African American man that appears to be the editor type of the paper.
    According to my history books this war was fought to free the slaves and there weren't any minorities with this type of power. I could be wrong but this is what struck me as odd. It was great to see that Disney is including a diverse group but it didn't seem historically accurate.

Also, the yellow tights with the black go go boots were a riot!
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

DisneyNut2005 Guest

Thumbs up

I agree with Btharvey and Aurora.

I like the SSE rehab and I feel that it does not deserve the bashing that it gets so often from the Internet minority.

In addition to the things that were mentioned in the above mentioned posts, another thing that I personally like about the SSE updates is the fact that the guests can now choose to hear the narration in one of several specific foreign languages.

After all, WDW IS visited by people from all over the world, so doing anything that breaks down any language barriers to allow non-English-speaking guests to enjoy its experiences even more is a plus in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

I like this ride and was disappointed when it was closed in 2007. I was wondering if i would even notice the differences. I hope so.
    Countless Disneyland trips
    May 2000 Honeymoon 1st DW Trip
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site
    Christmas 2012 Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNut2005 View Post
    I like the SSE rehab and I feel that it does not deserve the bashing that it gets so often from the Internet minority.

Wow! Because I give my opinion of a refurbished ride and I state I don't like one part of it I'm the internet minority bashing?

I love WDW and most things there. If you read most of my posts I am fair and in most cases in favor of most things at WDW to a fault.

It does seem that more people like the change than not. That doesn't mean I have to join the cattle stampede and follow along. I am very frustrated that I offered a fair opinion of the ride changes and this is the 2nd attack I've gotten for that. Did you not read that I rode this 4 times? I don't dislike the ride but I was disappointed with the ending.
    '94 & '97 Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) Maybe.
    2) But, I seriously think it is a case of imagination going atrophy.
    Why would "imagination" atrophy? There are new, fresh Imagineers in the ranks, and some older hands, I'm sure, who have proven their worth ...

3) The creativity just doesn't exist any longer.
    Again, why would you say that? Just look at Expedition: Everest, or some of the other attractions in AK ...

4) Given a budget, one can do a lot if one is creative enough.
    Having until (very) recently worked in a creative agency, if there's anything that I've learned, it's that often constrained budgets are what yield the most CREATIVE ideas! Never believe anyone that throwing more cash at a problem will produce a more "creative" result.

Personally, I can't WAIT to see the refurbed SSE!! I am a huge Dame Judy fan, and while I loved both the Cronkite and Irons narration, I'm looking forward to the new spiel.
    1978-1990, 2000, 2001: WDW - Off-property
    2004: WDW - Ft. Wilderness
    2005: WDW - Pop Century
    2006, 2007: DLR
    Oct 2008: WDW - Ft. Wilderness
    Oct 2009:WDW - Our Disney wedding at the WDW Swan & Dolphin
    July 2010: DLR - Off-property
    Oct 2010: DLR - Day trip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazypoohbear View Post
    In the scene there is an African American man that appears to be the editor type of the paper.
    According to my history books this war was fought to free the slaves and there weren't any minorities with this type of power. I could be wrong but this is what struck me as odd. It was great to see that Disney is including a diverse group but it didn't seem historically accurate.
    It might be a reference to Frederick Douglass (quite the story really) though his paper apparently stopped in 1860. There were other black papers during that time.

JeffG, i think you wrote a very good and fair review. I'll be riding SSE in about two weeks and will be interested in seeing how it works for me. Thanks for the reviews.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like Spaceship Earth anymore. I won't go out of my way to avoid it, but it's no longer a "must ride". If I ride it, fine. If not, no big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I think JeffG's review is extremely fair, and my feelings about the refurbished ride were fairly similar.

I really enjoyed the changes to the first half of the ride. I was pleased with Judi Dench's narration (I can't say that I preferred either it, Walter Cronkite's, or Jeremy Irons' versions).

As for the ending... the first time we rode in Feb., we thought it was funny and clever. The second time we rode in Feb., it was cute enough. But we had a strong feeling it would get a little old on subsequent rides. And when we rode a couple times in June, we were pretty tired of it.

We could hear loud peals of laughter from the riders around us. We don't have kids yet, but I know my nieces and nephews would love the ending. And I understand that a very great number of WDW guests will ride SSE only once or twice in a decade, or even in a lifetime, in which case the ending would be fabulous.

I do not believe that having a negative impression of the new ending of SSE -- and expressing it quite reasonably -- qualifies as "bashing."

I enjoy reading different people's perspectives about WDW on Intercot... whether or not I agree with them.

I also feel that's the wonderful thing about WDW -- there's a little something for everybody.
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: