Quantcast Party's Over For Disney's Pleasure Island

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Party's Over For Disney's Pleasure Island

Wow! Had a lot of good times here. Hope they have something good planned!

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The party's over for six nightclubs at Disney's Pleasure Island.

The clubs in Downtown Disney are scheduled to close Saturday. The nightlife corridor at the Disney complex opened in 1989 and over the years, gathered a loyal following of tourists and locals -- especially for its "New Year's Eve Every Night" celebration.

Disney officials remain hush-hush about the future of Pleasure Island, saying only that an announcement will be made in the "near future."
    Last edited by DoomBuggyDude; 09-26-2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Direct link to non-Disney
    "Now is the best time of our lives"...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This will truly be missed by many.

Just so more people know about it
    over in Fla., I'm going to move this
    to the Disney World section.

Some Anaheim folks may not be so
    sure what this is all about.
    Tonight, the part of Al will be played by a tall, dark and sinister ugly man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggyDude View Post
    This will truly be missed by many.
    1) But, not missed by very many.
    2) Or, it would not be closing.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Oh it's not closing because people don't like it.

Disney makes more money on the third party stores like Sosa Cigars and Harley. So, that's why they are planning to close it - get more money with less expenses to them.

They don't pay for anything other than rent taxes and they receive a portion of the revenue.

Also, apparently they were lining up at 9:30am for Adventurer's Club.

Which reminds me - time to call the Duck Phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Ill miss the old days
    Dis will make money from the outsourcing
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Truly a sad day.

Last night DH and I were watching TV, and around 11:00pm it dawned on me that the AC was having it's final club initiation that night. We both actually got bummed out, and then had some Cabo Wabo in honor of the AC, and a big Kungaloosh.

I wasn't thinking....we should have bought the stuff to make Kungalooshes, not Waboritas, but it's the thought that counts.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) But, not missed by very many.
    2) Or, it would not be closing.
    You probably haven't been there much.

It was packed every night we went last December. Didn't matter if it was Monday night or Saturday.
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Had a few friends try to go last night... it was completely sold out.

Had massive fireworks from what I heard from my friend's place.
    Day trips:
    WAAAAAY too many to count...

AKL Mar 7-9 One Year Anniversary!

Post Thanks / Like

I was there last night and it was just so sad to say goodbye to such a wonderful place. We got there at 6:30 (doors opened at 6) and the club was already at capacity. We're lucky we showed up when we did, because even though we stood in line for 2 1/2 hours, we were able to get inside and catch Hathaway's mask room show, Samantha's Caberet, the Maid's sing along and the Christmas show. Everything else we had to watch from outside, including the final hoopla, which we watched projected on a sheet hung in the Salon. I was glad to be a part of the final party, but it was so packed that the experience was compromised. I will be missed by those who truly appreciated innovative and creative night-time entertainment. I've been watching You tube videos since I've been home and I think its only making me more depressed- RIP Adventurers Club.

Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you, but always dress for the hunt.
    First Trip- Oct 1978 (9 months old)
    Last Trip- Everett's Summer Vacation June '10
    Next Trip- Everett's 1st Food and Wine Oct '10
    Oct 4-6
    58 trips in between

Post Thanks / Like

I am one of the people who will truly miss it!

Our next trip won't be complete without a visit to Pleasure Island! Such good times..
    Disneyland - California: Countless times as a kid
    WDW (1st trip): 05.30.07 - 06.06.07, POP Century
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 06.15.08
    Disneyland - California: 05.27.09 (celebrating 24th birthday)

Upcoming trips:
    12.09.2009 - 12.10.2009, Disneyland - California

Post Thanks / Like

We got there at 12:45 in the afternoon and waited the 5+ hours to get in and see everything for one last time.

It was worth every second! The Adventurers Club will be missed more than anything else on Disney property.

The Hoopla (HOOPLA!) was one for the records and will remain in my memories forever. There wasn't a dry eye around me when it was over.

I just wish they hadn't fastpassed the closing. They only gave us a couple of months to say goodbye. Terrible. Truly a tragedy (From the bottom of my heart).

KUNGALOOSH!!
    i stopped counting.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

I asked about this months ago and a person from their executive offices contacted me and told me that they were adding new exciting options to PI in response to guest feedback. I asked what these things would be and was told "new dining and shopping experiences". I told him that the last thing we needed was more resteraunts and gift shops. I asked what us adults would do when the kids go to bed and he said for live music we could go to House of Blues on Sundays. I said thats it? and he said that the resteraunts also had bars in them. I can go to the local TGI fridays for that. My wife and I always enjoyed our options. She would go to 8Trax for a bit while I went to the Rock club and enjoy the live local bands. We would always meet up later and hit the comedy warehouse and AC. Looks like I will have to try out CityWalk now. He also told me this would be more family friendly. Personally my kids are in bed by 9 pm after a long day in the parks and I dont think young kids should be out late. PI was supposed to be the 1 place adults could go to to enjoy some time alone. Thanks again Disney. At least we had many good years there..especially all the new years eve parties attended.
    73-4-5-76Cntpry-77-8-9Polnsyn-80-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-90-1-2 Disney villas-93-4-5-6-7-8 Crbn Bch-99 Grnd Flrdin -00 Anml Kngdm Ldg-01 Wldrns Ldg-02 Brdwlk-03Cntpry-04 Sratga Sprngs-05 Saratoga -06 Sratga -07 Grand California -07 Sratga- 08 Sratga- 09 Wldrns. Ldg.- 10 Treehouse villas

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that there were a lot of unhappy people who couldn't get in because the place filled up and nobody was leaving to allow others a chance to get in.
    It's crazy how long people stood in line well before it opened just to get in.
    I thought it felt weird walking through PI 2 years ago when all the construction walls were up. Once everything is gone it's going to feel really odd. PI will be missed mainly because we're just used to it being there.
    ºoº Joe ºoº
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

One of my CM friends told me that they are going to try to build another adult themed area that will almost be like another theme park, and they might try to move the AC there. He said it would be expensive to get in though. Who knows how true that is...
    If we can dream it, then we can do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have pictures or videos of the final night?
    If we can dream it, then we can do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BWayGrl View Post
    Does anyone have pictures or videos of the final night?
    I found a lot of videos on You Tube.
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I was there Thursday the 25th. Seeing how packed it was on that night we decided not to go back for Fri or Sat. We did stop over in the afternooon on Sat after the Rainforest Cafe (around 3 pm) and the line was already long. People were sitting under umbrellas playing cards on the sidewalk. I asked a person in line how long they had been there and he told me noon but others had lined up at 8 am.

I think it's so sad that there is no place that adults can go after 9 pm. Seeing how my BF and I have no kids, we'll be spending more time at Citywalk when we visit. Making things more "family friendly" is a deturrent for us and I'm sure to all of those honeymooners they get so much money from.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BWayGrl View Post
    One of my CM friends told me that they are going to try to build another adult themed area that will almost be like another theme park, and they might try to move the AC there. He said it would be expensive to get in though. Who knows how true that is...
    I would LOVE that, I always thought P.I. was way underpriced anyway, since most clubs around here are $10-15 each, so to get into all the disney clubs for $20 ( is this correct??? I forget, we've had premium APs for years now) was a bargin at twice the price. I'd gladly pay $50/nt if they would just open up PI (or something like it) again. Ahhh, too dream!

Post Thanks / Like

Sniffle--You are right about nothing to do for adults. My wife and I do have 2 small kids but usually go to Disney with my parents. We always hit PI at least 2 nights per visit. I told the gentleman from Disneys executive offices that it was very nice of Disney to be sending Universal their bussiness. When he asked what Imeant I told him I would now be spending my evenings at Citywalk as well. And DISNEY_BARBIE..They werent really underpriced at PI. They made so much in the sale of the booze you would think they wouldve been cheaper to enter to encourage people to come. In anycase there are no longer anyplace in Disney for grownups to kick back and have some adult time. LIKEthey really need more resteraunts and gift shops.
    73-4-5-76Cntpry-77-8-9Polnsyn-80-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-90-1-2 Disney villas-93-4-5-6-7-8 Crbn Bch-99 Grnd Flrdin -00 Anml Kngdm Ldg-01 Wldrns Ldg-02 Brdwlk-03Cntpry-04 Sratga Sprngs-05 Saratoga -06 Sratga -07 Grand California -07 Sratga- 08 Sratga- 09 Wldrns. Ldg.- 10 Treehouse villas

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, since we'll have our own car this trip, I would like to head over to City Walk and check it out. Going to the Boardwalk and hitting the family friendly night spots aren't exactly what we're looking for.
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: