Quantcast Is Poly worth the price?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Is Poly worth the price?

As we are planning our next trip for summer '09, there is a part of me that really wants to stay at the Poly. We haven't been since summer '07 ( a really long break for our fam), and I want to stay somewhere nice. Preferably a MK resort or an Epcot resort. As I look at the prices it's hard for me to decide if a room at the Poly is worth so much more than say the WL. We have eaten at 'Ohana many times and I just love the theming, setting, and location of the resort. There is a part of me, however, that can't decide if it is worth so much more than some of the other Deluxe resorts. I'm torn and can't decide what to do. WL or Poly? Another option I'm considering is AKL which is gorgeous, but seems so far from everything. Since we are going in summer, and our DS will be 8, I want to be near either MK or Epcot, and I want an awesome pool. I'm also looking into DVC points, but that's for a whole different forum. Help! Sorry to ramble, but I want this next trip to be truly awesome since it will have been two years between trips. What do you think? What would you do? All advice is welcome.
    Thanks!
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I would say that it is all relative to your individual situation. If the actual cost of the Poly is not a burden why not try it? The resort would be a very special vacation indeed. Who can beat the monerail and proximity to the MK. On the other hand the WL is a lovely resort with great proximity to the MK as well. The cost is much less too a great incentive. Our children are young and I will be pregnant on our next trip so proximity to the MK and Epcot is key as well as the ease of travel inbetween the two. But, for you and a DS 8 you'd be fine at either. You could always try for a discount to help ease the cost. Everyone here raves about both resorts so I do not think you can go wrong.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We love the Poly and for us the price is definitely worth the benefits that we get. Why not have Magical Journeys price you out the trip at both WL and Poly and see what the actual difference will be. If you can afford to do it then I'd say go for it!
    Poly Concierge Jan. 2000 - Poly Concierge Jan. 2004 - Pop Century Nov. 2004 (1 night) - CBR Nov. 2004 - Poly Club Level Jan 2010. Wyndham Bonnet Creek December 2013!!

Post Thanks / Like

It all comes down to how many of the extra amenities that Poly has to offer that you and your family will actually use. The best thing to do is sit down with your family and make a list of what things you absolutely must have in a resort and then a second list of what you would like in a resort. Once both lists are compiled go down the list of must haves, if that gives you a clear indication of what type of resort you want. If that still doesn't clear things up then go to the list of what you would like to have. I am pretty certain that by the time you get to the end of the second list your mind will be made up!

Also, don't forget that if you do stay elsewhere you can always come to the Poly to enjoy the restaurants and atmosphere.

Post Thanks / Like

For us the poly is a splurge, not something we can generally afford, but with a disocut rate in vlaue season, it comes close enough into our range to make a go of it....will be there (for the first time as an official guest) the first four days of January 09....woohoo!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at Pop the first time we took the kids down and thought, "this is great, we love it" THEN, my in laws splurged and took us all to the Poly in October and man oh man, that was the good life. Needless to say, we're going back next Thanksgiving and saving up for the POLY!
    You're going in another year, you'll have time to put a little bit away each week to stay if that's where you really want to go. To me, the monorail sold it!
    Nicole

Windsor Hills Resort 13'
    Poly Thanksgiving 09'
    Polynesian 08'
    Pop Century 07'
    Off Site 04'
    Off Site 97'
    Off Site 89'
    Off Site 86'
    Off Site 83'
    Polynesian 79'

Post Thanks / Like

We are staying at the Poly for the 1st time this October as well (actually our 1st trip to WDW in general). This isn't a trip that will be repeated anytime in our near future. We have an 8 year old and 17 year old (both boys) and we wanted our "One time" in WDW to be really memorable. Having everything so close will cut down on our stress level and even though we waited an additional year for this trip JUST so we can stay there, I know it'll be well worth it. Our kids will always remember their trip and part of our vacation is "where" we stay. I say Go For It!!

Post Thanks / Like

Within the past year I have stayed at both the POLY and WL, and personally I much prefer the WL hands down! I think the thyming of WL is better and enjoyed the rooms more there as well. So since it cost's more to stay at the Ploy, the choice is clear for me. But then again thats my humble opinion.
    Dec '10 - WDW/POR
    Jun '10 - DCL North European Capitals
    Nov '08 - WDW/Pop Century
    Jun '08 - WDW / Wilderness Lodge
    Sep '07 - Disney Cruise (Land & Sea)
    May '07 - Disneyland Paris
    Jan '07 - WDW / Offsite
    Nov '06 - WDW / Wilderness lodge
    Sep '06 - Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same way you feel, but I am like this everytime we are ready to book our next trip. The Poly is my dream resort to stay in. I would love to just stay there ONE time (as hard as that would probably be after staying there). I'll get quotes for the Poly, and the price just blows me away, so then I'll shorten the days to see if its reasonable and it is still soooo expensive!!!

So every trip I visit the Poly to just walk around, or make an ADR for breakfast. I always say that this is my favorite wdw resort, eventhough I've never stayed there yet lol. Next year I think I will book the Poly, but since I know how expensive it will be...I will save better so that I can fulfill my dream. Do what your heart is telling you to do. If money is a real issue, than I'd probably go for maybe WL or Beach Club. WL is a gorgeous hotel!
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The Poly is definitely worth it and that's because of the ambiance that is unmatched. It also has the best transportation options of any hotel and the view from the Poly beach is, IMO, the best on the property. Terrific for watching the fireworks.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

God - I hope it's worth is as we're staying there for the first time in October!!!!

My Magical Journies TA emailed me last week and told me she could save us $1000 if we stayed at the cabins at FW. to us $1000 is HUGE but we just couldn't do it. We want the convenience of the Poly and the setting of the Poly. I hope we aren't disappointed!

Post Thanks / Like

The Polynesian is our favorite resort for a number of reasons:
    • Monorail access to MK and other resorts
    • Quick walk to TTC to catch monorail to Epcot
    • Wonderful dining, shopping and bar/lounge options, both at the Polynesian and other monorail resorts
    • Large rooms, tropical theming, beautiful beach, and lush grounds make it feel like a vacation within a vacation

We stayed at the AKL in June, and while we really did enjoy many things about the resort, we felt a little too far away from the action.

We will stay at the WL in October for the first time, so I can't make a comparison between it and the Polynesian yet.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

If you look at my signature you'll see that I've stayed mostly at the value resorts. But we splurged for Christmas this past year and stayed at the Poly and we LOVED it! It was beautiful. We loved having access to the monorail. It was such a quick trip to the MK and we just walked over to the TTC to catch the monorail to Epcot. My DH doesn't care for the buses too much, so he really LOVED the monorail perk! You will still have to catch a bus to AK and DHS (and you'll make a stop at the GF to pick up guests there - I was surprised that deluxe resorts shared buses). If you can afford it, I say go for it. We may never be able to stay there again, but we will cherish the memories of our stay there. Make sure you catch Wishes from the beach and try a Lapu Lapu and the tonga toast - YUM!
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FreFam5 View Post
    God - I hope it's worth is as we're staying there for the first time in October!!!!

My Magical Journies TA emailed me last week and told me she could save us $1000 if we stayed at the cabins at FW. to us $1000 is HUGE but we just couldn't do it. We want the convenience of the Poly and the setting of the Poly. I hope we aren't disappointed!
    One hundred per cent guaranteed, you won't be disappointed!!
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

How much more is a week at Poly than WL (approximately)?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to tell you that I thought the very same thing. We had stayed at the poly for the three times and this summer couldnt afford it. We stayed at the pop and while the pop was very clean we wished we were at the poly the whole time. Next time we stay at disney we want to be at the poly. The reason we love poly is because of the monorail and its in the center of the action. (ask my tired feet from walking to the bus and they will tell you the same thing..)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FTDW Poly 08 View Post
    How much more is a week at Poly than WL (approximately)?
    On the main Disney page, They list the 2008 Rates for Poly starting at $340 / night and
    WL starting at $225 / night.

Post Thanks / Like

LOVE THE POLY! LOVE THE POLY!! LOVE THE POLY!!!

No prejudice here...lol !

Actually, we haven't stayed at the AKl or the WL so I cannot help with the comparison. However, we have stayed at several other WDW resorts and for DH, DD and I, the Poly wins hands down. The amenities, location and overall feel of the resort are perfect for our family.

It's all about what you can afford and what will make your vacation perfect for your family. If going to the Poly will stretch your budget, then go elsewhere. You don't want to spend your vacation worrying about the budget.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I'm probably not a good choice to answer this question, but I'm going to anyway.

Is the Poly worth that much more, to me NO.

But then to me, NONE of the Deluxe Resorts are worth that much more. The moderates are plenty nice for me, and I'm also perfectly happy in the value resorts.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Totally worth the $$$.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: