Quantcast Sneakers or flip flops? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone on another post recommended TEVA flip flops because of the comfort (they have arch support) so I bought a pair (OK, two pair...) I have been wearing them to test if they are comfortable throughout the day with lots of walking/standing.

Yep, they passed the test!
    Faith! Trust! And Pixie Dust!

POR 2008
    Offsite 2007
    CBR 1996

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I always wear sneakers as that is what my feet need and feel most comfortable in.

My teen girls, on the other hand, wore flip flops on our last trip and were fine with it. The only thing is their feet were FILTHY at the end of the day. I don't think they got the dirt completely off all week!

21 days and counting!
    Diane

Past trips to WDW:
    12/12 CBR with free dining
    5/10 CBR with free dining
    4/09 CBR couples only trip for 20th anniv.
    9/08 Pop with free dining
    5/07 Pop
    4/05 Pop
    12/04 Pop
    4/04 Pop
    12/02 AS Sports
    4/02 AS Movies
    3/00 Ft. Wilderness Cabins

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sneakers or flip flops?

I have worn all sorts of foot wear in the parks including running sneakers and the cheapo rubber flip flops. I think it depends on the weather, time of year and how long a stretch you will be on your feet walking in the parks. It also depends on the construction of our foot and how much of things like arch support you need. Lately I have been wearing nice sort of sneaker-shoes when I will be walking distances in the parks. Sometimes I get Born's (which work well for my foot) and on the last trip I worn Privos. They make so many comfortable walking shoes and sandals now that there is much to pick from. Basically I prefer to have my foot covered and to have slip ons vs anything I have to tie/buckle.

Post Thanks / Like

I only wear my New Balance running sneakers in WDW. I have two pair that I alternate. I love flip flops and wear them at home but, my knee would never allow me to wear them in the parks all day. I do bring a good pair, my Ocean Pacific ones are my favorite at the moment, to wear to the pool and around the resort at night.
    My husband and kid also wear a good pair of sneakers.
    My kids brought their Crocs last year for the pool etc, but ended up wearing them in the parks on a few days and said they were very comfy. My husband bought a pair of Crocs Off Roads this summer and I can almost guarantee those will be going to WDW this December. He swears by them.

It is all about what you are most comfortable in. As a few others have said, just don't bring anything that hasn't been broken in. You will not be a happy camper.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care what people say about Crocs, they're all I wear in the parks now! And I wear them WITH socks! Oh my goodness, someone send the fashion police! Oh and they're purple too.

I really don't care what others think about my foot ware; it's all about how comfortable I am.

I have New Balance sneakers as a back-up, but I prefer the Crocs.

I couldn't imaging wearing flip flops in the parks all day. Ouch! I hate flip flops though; I don't like having anything between my toes.

I wear Teva sandals at the water parks.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to mix up the footwear. Flip-flops or sandals during the day and canvas shoes (with gel inserts) during the evening. Sometimes I will wear the canvas shoes all day but... smelly! I wore the flip-flops in the rain once and only once. They were so slippery I could barely walk. How do those of you who use flip-flops in the rain keep them on?

Post Thanks / Like

My girls and I prefer flip flops, we are most comfortable in good flip flops. I do get worried about our toes in crowded areas though...my son prefers his crocs, and my DH is a sneaker guy! I really think its all about comfort with the amount of walking involved, that there is not a "right" answer. I have to say tho..I wore my flip flops over to MK by myself one day last week to upgrade our Park Hoppers to AP's. It was pouring. My flip flops became really slippery, and I almost broke my neck. I ended up taking them off and walking barefoot to guest relations, then remained barefoot to the boat launch back, all the way back to the Poly! I saw others in flip flops doing the same.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

I have had that happen with regular flip flops and have walked barefoot across the parks to exit before, cringing all the way about all the germs I was picking up. But I washed my feet immediately afterwards really, really well. I don't have the problem with slippage with my Fit Flops. The soles and bottoms are designed so your foot doesn't slip in them. Of course I haven't walked in flooding rains with them. I would probably wear my Crocs on the days that it was raining just in case because they wear better in the water. And the water drains off and you don't have to worry about walking in wet sneakers all day. Miserable!
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is different, but as a podiatrist I would say that one should generally avoid a flat flip flop with no support in favor of a well-structured supportive sneaker. Will people tell me they feel great in flip flops? Sure, but long term as one gets older the tendons in one's lower leg will thank you for being in the supportive shoe.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with supportive shoes but I also wear flip flops or sandals in the park. I work outside in my regular life and on vacation the toes see sun the whole trip...LOL. But I do bring my sneaks cause you never know.
    POR 04/2018
    CB - 01/2018
    Contemporary - 12/2017
    Poly - 06/2017
    GF - 08/2009
    BW - 07/2008
    Contemporary - 11/2007
    Poly - 02/2007
    POR - 12/2004
    Contemporary - 12/2003
    Dixie Landing - 12/2002, 12/2001 8/2000
    Contemporary - 12/1999
    Dixie Landing - 5/1998, 5/1997

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald A View Post
    Everyone is different, but as a podiatrist I would say that one should generally avoid a flat flip flop with no support in favor of a well-structured supportive sneaker. Will people tell me they feel great in flip flops? Sure, but long term as one gets older the tendons in one's lower leg will thank you for being in the supportive shoe.
    That is what I like about my Fit Flops, they have the support that most sneakers have. The soles aren't flat. It is like wearing a convertible sneaker.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

I live in my flip flops also but I can't do them in the park. But, I will wear them everywhere else. So, in the park I wear a pair of open back keds. They have support like a tennis shoe but the back doesn't rub a blister on the back of my foot

LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

i just went and bought a new pair of new balance 811s for our trip in 2 days, ive already started wearing them to break them in but they are great
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big flip flop fan during the warm weather months but I would say bring both. I wore flip flops for two days and I couldn't get over the feet and leg pain I had at the end of the day from all the walking I did. I ended up wearing sneakers for the remainder of the trip because I had better support with the sneakers.
    Sept 1994 - Off site
    July 1998 - Off site
    May 14 - 22, 2004 - Pop Century
    May 26 - June 3, 2006 - Polynesian
    Oct 18 - 24, 2008 - POR
    Oct 21 - 27, 2012 - Pop Century
    Oct 18 - 26, 2014 - Pop Century
    May 28 - June 4, 2016 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I am an old navy flip flops girl, they are so comfortable for me. Just whatever you do, don't wear crocs
    Dec 27- Best of Both Worlds Tour, Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus with Jonas Brothers
    Mar 21- Look Me In The Eyes Tour, Jonas Brothers with Rooney
    Aug 27- Burnin' Up Tour, Jonas Brothers with Demi Lovato, The Veronicas, and BIG ROB!

march 09 SENIOR TRIP

Post Thanks / Like

I usually wear tennis shoes, but the ones I bought last year for work offer no water proofing whatsoever. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen. So I'm just going to be wearing my Teva's for this trip and maybe my Birki's, both of which are completely waterproof and extremely comfortable. And I'm diabetic so I have to be careful of my feet, so making sure my foot isn't going to get tired or hurt easily is every important.
    First Trip to Disney World; age 4 1/2; 01/89 CBR
    15+trips staying at CBR, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings, AsSp, AsMu, AsMo, POP!, GF, WL, Fort Wilderness.
    Resent Trips;
    03/04; POP!
    03/05; POP!
    06/06; POP! (Honeymoon!)
    03/07; AsMo
    09/08; AsMu

Post Thanks / Like

I alternated between my flip flops and sneakers last year. Only wear your flip flops if you are totally used to wearing them all the time and they are use to wearing you!! Don't forget sunscreen for the tops of your feet and it might be a good idea to throw a few bandaids in your pocket/purse in case your feet aren't as "conditioned" as you thought. I didn't have any problems and we were moving pretty quick and non-stop for 8 days.
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that it's definitely a personal decision. I rarely wear sneakers, and live through the summer either flip-flopped or barefoot. I've done Disney plenty of times in flip flops, as well as in comfortable, fairly flat slides.

As the PPs said, take your flip flops, but bring a back-up too. If you aren't used to walking very long distances in a single day, the flip flops might take a toll on you. Better safe than sorry.
    I don't like formal gardens. I like wild nature. It's just the wilderness instinct in me, I guess.

There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main.

-- Walt Disney --

Post Thanks / Like

SNEAKERS!!!! I've witnessed way too many people losing a flip flop or 2 while running to and/or boarding a ride!
    10/91-Honeymoon YC Concierge
    6/92, 5/93, 9/95, 9/99-YC
    9/00-BWI,YC
    6/01-AKL,YC
    9/02-BCV,YC
    5/03-BCV
    8/03-WLV,BWV
    1/04-HH,BWV,OKW
    6/04, 5/05-BWV
    8/05, 11/07-SSR
    2/09-BCV
    11/09-BCV
    5/11-AKL
    4/12-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I go with sneakers during the long park days and then switch over to something more casual for later in the day. Switching shoes always seems to help the feet feel better for the long haul over our stay.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing" WED

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: