Quantcast Question about Animation Characters at the Magic Kingdom - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnnetteFan View Post
    I don't think the original poster meant that they literally knew a female who was playing Goofy and other tall characters, they just meant that they knew females who were that height. At least I interpreted it that way.

It isn't a "dumb" question when people are curious about what goes into bringing the characters to life. I can easily see how people would be curious about it, it's a very cool and fascinating thing for someone who doesn't get to see it on a daily basis.

I think "preserving the magic" means different things to different people. Some people consider it more magical to think of the characters as the characters and to other people it's very magical to realize that there might be a person who is able to make that character come to life for them. After being a CM the magic certainly wasn't ruined for me so I can see how it isn't any different for other people who are being realistic about the characters and want to know how the whole process works. Just because people don't always play pretend doesn't mean the magic isn't there for them. Just my opinion at least.
    Thank you, AnnetteFan. That was a very cool and rational response. As one of this forum's moderators that does not like the tone of some of the responses in this thread, I really appreciate what you just said.

This is a discussion board, and people come here for answers to things they are curious about. Our youngest boards members are 13. I think they all know there lurks a human in the center of those character outfits. So this discussion is not inappropriate at all, and neither is it "dumb". Anyone that is not interested in a certain topic can move on. Also, sarcasm or sarcastic humor, can be tricky in a written forum. You don't have the benefit of facial expressions, tone of voice and body language to help you interpret the intent of the reply. So it can come off as a little mean or short tempered. Let's play nice people, the character forum is usually a happy place. Thank you!
    Last edited by ChipnDaleGal; 07-30-2008 at 05:29 AM.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know. At 13, they may know. But we should still try to keep the magic alive. Even with the backstage tours, you have to be at least 16.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

On a different note, along the same line...

I just found out that one of our local graduates will be working as a CM this year and will likely be a character that will not be in full costume like Mickey or such, but possible a princess or something along that line. I don't think she will find out until she gets there. This young lady's parents live next door to my parents. When we go in December, if we can find out ahead of time where she will be, will it be hard to talk to her with out breaking the magic and but also let her know we are from her home town and neighbors?

'90~Grosvner Hotel
    '94~Shades of Green
    '03~Off property
    '05~Off property
    '06~youth trip off property
    '06~All Star Movie Resort

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever."
    ~ Tinkerbell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fairies*n*fireflies View Post
    On a different note, along the same line....
    When we go in December, if we can find out ahead of time where she will be, will it be hard to talk to her with out breaking the magic and but also let her know we are from her home town and neighbors?
    I don't think so. If you see her, just tell her you are from ____, and you know Mr. and Mrs. ___ (her parents).
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    I don't know. At 13, they may know. But we should still try to keep the magic alive. Even with the backstage tours, you have to be at least 16.
    Like I said before, what counts as magic? I honestly find it way more magical knowing that people like myself are dealing with really icky and annoying conditions to bring the characters to life for children and guests in general than it is for me to pretend that they're just walking talking cartoon characters. It's pretty much up to the person asking the question what is magical and what isn't, I can't think of anything more magical than the fact that there's a living and breathing human being willing to wear an uncomfortable costume and act out a character for the sake of guests.
    I ran away from college and joined the Mickey Mouse Club!

Post Thanks / Like

I feel it's magical that the kids believe the characters are alive. I love looking at the kids, and seeing their faces light up and hearing them shout the character's name, and so on. That, to me, is magical. And I hate it when adults try to ruin it for them.
    Cruises:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    I feel it's magical that the kids believe the characters are alive. I love looking at the kids, and seeing their faces light up and hearing them shout the character's name, and so on. That, to me, is magical. And I hate it when adults try to ruin it for them.
    Again, it is only the youngest children that believe that character is the real thing when they meet them. Our members have to be 13 to register. No one is spoiling any magic here by discussing the issue of people playing the characters. The whole magic of interaction with characters is the joy and innocence associated with it. I get a rush every single time I see Chip and Dale "live and in person", and I do realize it is a person in there giving me that joy. But in that moment I can suspend my belief and get that pure moment with my favorite chipmunks. As long as those wonderful cast members put their heart into their performances the Magic is there, at least for those that want to see and feel it.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    There are younger people on the boards too.

Besides, it doesn't matter how old they are. Walt wanted the magic preserved.

I was actually using light sarcasm. I've responded to several posts of the same nature in the same manner (how does "Mickey" breathe?, Is "Mickey" really hot in his clothes? and the OP for those never took it the wrong way. This is the first time.

So I apologize if it was taken the wrong way. I suppose a lot of the people here on the boards just know me a bit better than some of the newer folks and they know I meant no harm.
    I have been a lurker on these boards for several years before actually posting. I know Captain from the numerous dialogues on the boards and I would have to agree that she never has meant to be rude or negative. If the OP poster took it that way, then I believe that she took it the wrong way. Since the OP is relatively new, we should take that into consideration and if she has valid questions about how things really work, invite her to Private Message one of the CM's.
    I do agree that I like to keep my magic up front and personal. Donald is not a costume, he is a Duck!
    DDuck66
    Disney Veteran

2000- Once
    2001- Twice
    2002- Three Times
    2003- Three times
    2004 Twice
    2005 Twice
    2006- October and Christmas
    2007- The year of the annual pass!!!
    2008- Concierge at the POLY!!!!
    2009- Birthdays in January and March!!!!
    2010- Lots of trips..Too many to count!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think this conversation has run its course and really no longer is relating to the original question. So I am closing it down. Thanks to all who participated.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: