Quantcast CSR / CBR -vs- OKW

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default CSR / CBR -vs- OKW

My fiance and I are in the early and oh-so-hopeful planning stage of a trip to the World for early '10 -- we have not yet been to WDW together and are looking to stay on-site for at least a full week sometime between mid-January and early February.

CSR or CBR are the resorts that I am leaning towards looking into, while my fiance is pushing for OKW (he has stayed there previously some years ago, but he mentions walks on Old Turtle Pond Road more than the resort itself). I have never stayed at any of the three and have several questions ...

Transportation
    It seems inevitable that we will either rent a car or make the drive to the World, but in the event that we don't, how does the bus service at each resort compare?

Lodging
    Which building(s) would we be better off requesting at each of the resorts? How are the rooms at CSR / CBR in comparison to the studios at OKW? Also, if the concierge is still available at CBR, is it worth it? (We do plan to make use of the resort, rather than to simply use it as a bed and a shower.)

Food
    How do the food and the dining areas at each resort compare?

Thanks for all advice in advance, it's more than appreciated!
    I don't like formal gardens. I like wild nature. It's just the wilderness instinct in me, I guess.

There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main.

-- Walt Disney --

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You didn't ask about this aspect, so I'm guessing it's not much of a concern, but as far as cost goes, OKW considerably more expensive, while CSR/CBR are moderate resorts. As such, you'll probably find the "quality" level of OKW to be slightly better in most aspects, however you really can't go wrong with any of the Disney owned properties.

This is just my personal speculation, as I've never stayed at any of the three, but as a higher priced offering, OKW is probably likely to have a more "adult" and/or quieter crowd than the potentially more family-friendly CSR/CBR.

As for consierge at CBR, I don't believe that is available, but I could be wrong about that.

For more specifics on each resort, here are Intercot's links to each resort, which have information about dining, bus transit times, detailed room descriptions, etc.

CBR: http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disn...ch/default.asp
    CSR: http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disn...gs/default.asp
    OKW: http://www.intercot.com/resorts/dvc/...st/default.asp
    "If we can dream it, we can do it!"
    POP!- September 13 - 22, 2008!

lilolvr Guest

I love CSR for the atmosphere, great CM's and the deluxe-lite feel. CSR offers a spa, salon, full menu room service and fitness center not to mention a terrific main pool area and the best transportation that is not shared with any other resort.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid I can't speak to OKW, but we have stayed at both CBR and CSR in the past. Both are lovely resorts, with similar amenities, but we do prefer CSR. Our preference is mostly due to the theming, or "look & feel" of the resorts. CBR is nice, but CSR is beautiful (especially at night), and looks to us like a deluxe, not a moderate. (Since it is a convention resort, it also offers more amenities, such as a spa, than the other moderates.) Look at photos of both resorts and see what you think. Does one look more inviting than the other?

In our experiences, we've found the bus service at CSR and CBR to be pretty similar. In the past, CSR offered a bus to the Boardwalk area (which was wonderful), but they have since done away with this.

The food courts at the resorts are different - CBR's is set up in standard food court fashion, while CSR's Pepper Market is set up in a manner which results in an automatic 10% gratuity charge if you dine in. (I might be in the minority, but I'm not really a fan of Pepper Market, both in terms of the set-up and the food. It's very hit or miss.) Both resorts have grab & go locations adjacent to the food courts, and I believe CBR's was slightly larger than CSR's, with a better selection. I'm afraid I can't say too much about the sit-down options at either resort. We have never dined at Shutters at the CBR, and our only experience with Maya Grill was the breakfast buffet (great atmosphere in the restaurant, but very average food).

In terms of room locations, on our last CBR trip we requested Aruba, and we wound up there (I'd have to look up which building - I think it might have been 53). It was a short and scenic walk across the island (Caribbean Cay) to get to Old Port Royale, and the bus stop was just a few minutes' walk away, as well. When we stayed at CSR on our honeymoon, we requested the Casitas section, and I highly recommend that section of the resort, especially if you are a couple looking for a romantic atmosphere. It is spectacularly themed, with beautiful fountains everywhere, and colorful buildings that look pretty amazing at night. We were in Casitas 2, which really was ideal. We were maybe a minute's walk to the bus stop, the quiet pool and laundry were a stone's throw from our door, and the walk to El Centro was under 5 mins. On our last trip, which was our first stay at CSR with small children, we decided to request the Cabanas area, since it would put us much closer to the main pool and playground. I believe we were in building 9A - less than 5 mins. to El Centro, less than 5 mins. to the Dig Site, and the bus stop was maybe a minute's walk across the parking lot. While I think the Casitas area is by far the prettiest of the resort, the Cabanas section is lovely as well, with a look that is more relaxed and informal than that of the Casitas.

As for the rooms, the room size at CBR is slightly larger, but they are very similar otherwise. The only suggestion I have is to consider requesting a king bed room. If it's just the two of you, it will be both more comfortable and more luxurious.

Hope this helps. Have a great time planning your trip!
    11/08: CBR, Off Site (fam)
    11/07: CSR, Off Site (fam)
    2/06-3/06, 12/06: Off Site (fam)
    10/04: CBR
    5/02: ASMu
    12/01: Off Site
    6/01: CSR (honeymoon)
    3/97: Grovesnor
    2/92, 6/94: CBR
    4/90, 2/91: Off Site
    2/89: HoJo (DD), Off Site
    8/88: Buena Vista Palace