Quantcast How close to your date do you wait to purchase your flight tickets?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How close to your date do you wait to purchase your flight tickets?

I am patiently waiting for a DING that is good for our trip How close to your date do you wait to purchase your air fare? Or how close to your date did you get a DING that worked for your dates?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Generally, I start getting uncomfortable if I pass the 3 month mark and I haven't sewed up my air fare.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We used Airtran instead of SW. I don't have a particular time that I book my flights. I just check everyday and wait for cheap prices. I ended up booking my return flight about two weeks after I booked in March when the price dropped to $55. About a month later my Arrival flight dropped to $79 so I booked that figuring it won't go any lower since it's on a Saturday and also because of all the cost of fuel hype is causing rates to rise.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

DINGs are only released 2 (sometimes 3) months in advance, as they really want to sell the tickets at full price! And then they only release them on flights that haven't sold well. I would suggest looking on the SW website for the dates and flights that you're interested in now. Check to see what price category is available. If the lowest price isn't available, it's unlikely that there will be a DING for that flight.

In addition, if you buy now, and a DING later becomes available, you can rebook the flights and get a credit for the difference in price. You will have a year to use the credit.

Post Thanks / Like

We booked our upcoming trip 7months in advance. With today's economy and airline issues, if you can find a good fare-- lock it in. I realize not everyone plans a trip that far in advance. We always have and have never ended up changing our plans. Of course, in our household Disney trips are a very high priority. Mark
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Gottaluvgoof Guest

We have gone to DW each September for the past 4 years and normally, we booked on a Ding fare in July. This year though, I am not willing to risk it with the airlines and the fuel costs. We actually went ahead and booked back in April. It was a Ding rate, but not nearly as good as we had gotten in the past. I think last year we paid $158 round trip and this year we got it for $200. I'm glad we did book though, because for the flights I want right now, there has been nothing lower than $291. We fly out very early in the a.m., and fly home on the last flight at night. (More time in the parks )

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't Wait

I booked as soon as the rates opened up for my trip about 6 months out. I also used a ding fare. We got 2 round trips from phoenix for $252 each. If I were you I would book as soon as possible. Just my
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

I generally grab the best fare as soon as possible about 6 months or so out. However this year prices were not so great, so I waited for the Ding fares. And I waited, and waited...

Finally less than 2 months out I got the Ding fare I waited for! Roughly $410 RT for all three of us! I am glad I waited!! (I did have a small credit with SW to use also )

Good luck and have a great trip. Sometimes it pays off when you wait a bit!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    ș0ș Monica ș0ș

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

We purchased our airfare in May, and are going to wdw in November. I was gonna wait till the end of June for SW to come out with their schedule, but I ran into some dirt cheap airfare from a site and grabbed it as soon as I found it...$169 roundtrip/pp with taxes and fees!!!

I was afraid to look on SW website when the prices came out but I'm so glad that I didn't wait...The SW airfare is much higher than expected. I guess I got lucky this year!
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I booked on day one back in June for our trip in November. The reason is that we only have 5 days there and our flight times are critical. I booked one-way tickets on SW. If they have a lower fare, I can cancel and rebook the individual leg.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I booked our tickets in June for our Dec. trip with SW.
    I did it as soon as they were released and got the Wanna Go Price.
    While I always hunt for the cheapest price, flight times and travel times are equally important because we have two kiddos that travel as well.
    Also since very few still have direct non stop flights like SW still does, that was also a factor.

We wanted to leave noonish going and leave in the evening coming home.

I got just the flights we wished for at SW.
    DIrect flights that are only 90 minutes long.
    Leaving at 12:30 on the way down and departing at 505pm coming home.
    We are paying $200 round trip, so I think that is pretty good.
    So by booking early I got the price, flights and times that I wanted.
    And if SW reduces the price on our flights before then, I can rebook and they will credit me the difference.
    Kim, Mom of Two Russian Angels

Post Thanks / Like

I booked our flights with SW when the Dec. dates were released in late June. They came to about $225 each (Round trip, including taxes and fees). I have since checked to see if the rates have changed, and they've gone up in price. I'd book asap if you can get a decent price.

Post Thanks / Like

My family usually waits until 3 months or so ahead of time, we just keep checking every day until we see a good price. However, this time around the prices went from $99 on Jetblue from NY to MCO and then they shot up to $139 and $154 Needless to say, I wish we booked it sooner.

Update: I just checked the flights I'm taking and the price of the trip coming back went from $154 to $194. So we're lucky there.

Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

with prices going up, up, up, I say Book NOW!
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I bought tickets last month for our trip in April 2009. Saw a great price and grabbed it without thinking twice!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

I usally book airline travel as soon as possible. I fly SWA and if a lower fair comes out I can change it without penalty.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually have my plane ticket booked but not my reservations! We knew WHEN we wanted to go, so we started immediately looking for plane fare after we were sure everything was good (days off work for everyone going, etc.).

We booked our December flight in May - we mainly fly NW and found a flight only $30 a piece more than we paid last year.

Like everyone says, if you see a good flight, GET it.

Now..if only those December packages would come out, then we can get EVERYTHING wrapped up...
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

We booked ours in May for an August 1st trip on SW - they were having a Mother's Day special. I have not seen one "Ding" special since - and the price has gone up over $250.00! With gas prices going up, I'd say a soon as you can! Good luck! 19 days and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone further clarify Southwest's policies and cite this information from their website?

From what I'm reading here, you can book early and if the price goes down, change to the lower rate without penalty. Is this correct? Or does it count as a cancelled reservation and you'll pay again for the lower fare but have one year to use the higher fare.

Please advise.

Post Thanks / Like

If you book with Southwest and then later find that your flight is less expensive, they'll issue you a credit for the difference. You then have one year (from the original booking, I think) to use that credit toward purchase of another flight.
    Rhonda

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: