Quantcast Ohana menu change

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ohana menu change

I'm not sure when this happened, it may be old news. But, we ate at Ohana last Thursday (6/12), and noticed a few changes. First, they have bread again. It's not the same as before, but still good. I think it's got a touch of pineapple flavor to it. Second, the shrimp is back on the skewers, apparently replacing the pork sausage. It has a special barbeque-like sauce/rub that's a little spicy but definitely good. Third, the scalloped potatoes have been replaced with an asian style noodles with vegetables. I tried my best to find something good about them, but IMHO, they were a sad replacement for the potatoes. Everything else though, was great.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I had heard that they had taken the potatoes off the menu. When I told my oldest DD, she was very sad...they were her favorite thing on the menu.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IloveDisney71 View Post
    I had heard that they had taken the potatoes off the menu. When I told my oldest DD, she was very sad...they were her favorite thing on the menu.
    Apparently, a lot of people are upset about it. Our server said it was the second version of the noodles and that they haven't been getting good reviews. So, cross your fingers, and maybe they'll bring them back.
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

So shrimp is back on the menu? For sure?

That's fab news!!! It was on the menu the last time i was in Florida, 2004, and all i ate was shrimp and sirloin. I'm back again this coming September and had opted out of eating at Ohana because they'd replaced the shrimp with sausage - think i might need to change my mind!
    Pop Century '08
    Disneyland Resort Paris '07
    Coronado Springs '04
    All Star Movies '02
    Wilderness Lodge '00
    Off Site '92
    Off Site '90

Post Thanks / Like

I too am sad to hear about the potatoes. If people keep complaining than maybe they will come back. I understand that they need to change the menu sometimes, but we love everything there. I just wish that they would bring back the wontons that they had for appetizers. They were AWESOME!
    Too many to count-my grandparents lived in Winter Haven.
    Off site 10/95, 5/98, 12/07
    CBR 5/00, 5/01
    POFQ 5/01,12/04
    FWC 12/02
    CSR 12/03
    YC 1/05
    POR 12/05
    AKL 1/06, 1/07
    CR 1/04
    ASM 12/07
    5/02 Magic Eastern
    5/09 Magic Western

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear about the potatoes. They were still served back in January and I filled up on those. I was glad the shrimp were back on the skewers.

DVC Member at the Boardwalk since 1998
    6/99 Old Key West
    6/00 Boardwalk
    6/01 Wilderness Lodge
    6/02 Boardwalk
    7/03 Beach Club
    7/04 Beach Club
    7/05 Saratoga Springs
    6/06 Boardwalk
    1/8-1/12/08 Boardwalk
    10/27-10/30/09 Boardwalk
    12/18-12/22/09 Boardwalk

10/24-10/30/15 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mulan View Post
    I too am sad to hear about the potatoes. If people keep complaining than maybe they will come back. I understand that they need to change the menu sometimes, but we love everything there. I just wish that they would bring back the wontons that they had for appetizers. They were AWESOME!
    Bring back the potatoes and the wontons !
    CR 1978
    CR 1983
    CR 1984
    POLY 1996
    POLY 2005
    POLY 2006
    POLY 2007
    POLY 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brinkz View Post
    So shrimp is back on the menu? For sure?
    The Shrimp never left the menu. They just took them off the skewers and baked them in the oven. They would bring them to you in a bowl. Now, they're cooking them on skewers on the grill an bring them to your table that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach48 View Post
    Bring back the potatoes and the wontons !
    They still have the wontons, just not the potatoes.
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I know I will probably get slammed for this, but I really disliked the potatoes! I cannot tolerate onions, so they were not an option for me. So I look forward to any alternatives they may come up with, but they have to be good and tasty!!

I am glad to hear that there is shrimp back on the skewers, my DD loves shrimp!

We have ressies there in August, can't wait to see how it has changed since the last time we ate there, which was over 2 years ago.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I want my potatoes, the shrimp were still good even in the bowl. I hope they did not take the sausage off, thats was good also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disney323 View Post
    I hope they did not take the sausage off, thats was good also.
    No more sausage. That was gone, too, when we ate there on June 7. I did miss the potatoes!! The noodles were pretty terrible...soggy, mushy, and little to no flavor. They've replaced the wontons with pork dumplings, which I didn't really like, but my DBF said he thought they were pretty good. I didn't try the shrimp (just can't get past their little legs still hanging on! ). Everything else was great, though, especially the steak, turkey, and banana bread pudding for dessert! That dessert is enough to keep me coming back!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    Apparently, a lot of people are upset about it. Our server said it was the second version of the noodles and that they haven't been getting good reviews. So, cross your fingers, and maybe they'll bring them back.
    I hope they will figure it out before Dec...
    Amy
    80 Camping ºoº
    89 Offsite ºoº
    05 ASM ºoº
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laprana View Post
    The noodles were pretty terrible...soggy, mushy, and little to no flavor. They've replaced the wontons with pork dumplings, which I didn't really like, but my DBF said he thought they were pretty good.
    Agreed, the noodles were soggy, mushy and almost flavorless. I liked the dumplings, but not quite as much as the wontons.
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elmjimmlm View Post
    I hope they will figure it out before Dec...
    Me, too! I'm excited about DH eating there for the first time, and want it to be great like it was when I've gone. Will miss the potatoes!
    Not big on noodles.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

oh no not the potatoes, those were the one thing that my family constantly had to ask for more of! They were sooo yummy. NO NOODLES, ick! I hope they bring back those dang potatoes!
    SSR 07
    BC 07, 08, 09
    Grand Flo 94, 06, 07
    Poly 91 & 2006
    WL 2005, 2006, 08
    Ft. W. Cabins 93 & 2004
    P.O. Riverside 2000
    AKL 98
    AKL- Kidani village 09
    CR. 97
    Yacht Club 95
    Dixie Landings 92
    Fort Wilderness Campground 89

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems that almost everyone is upset over the potatoes being gone, but please don't let that discourage you from dining at Ohanas. May 31 was the first time that I had ever had dinner at Ohanas. I cannot compare it to the old Ohana's dinner, but with our dining experience for that meal, it was my family's favorite meal the entire week. Yes, there are no potatoes, but if you can get past that fact, the rest of the meal is absolutely divine! Here is a picture of the pork pot stickers and chicken wings. That alone is very tasty and extremely filling! Also, here is how the shrimp comes out! I know most people don't like change, but even with the one missing menu item, the dining experience was still phenomenal. I give this meal a . We are planning to eat there again when we go back in November.
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

Question Shrimp question...

Do the shrimp come already pealed or are they still the peal and eat variety? I loved the shrimp when we were there last September so I hope the skewered kind are as good as before. We'll be dining there in October. Can't wait!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by January-2007 View Post
    Do the shrimp come already pealed or are they still the peal and eat variety? I loved the shrimp when we were there last September so I hope the skewered kind are as good as before. We'll be dining there in October. Can't wait!
    Yes, the shrimp are still served with the peels on (see upper left corner of DS's plate for pic) The shell and tails are on, but lucky for you, somebody else took the heads off for you!
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

I have always loved O'Hana's and am very torn about the menu changes . Even though they are individually good, I did not enjoy my meal as a whole. There were two major issues I had that will probably keep me away in the future

1st is almost everything on the menu now has a sweet taste or sauce. When the meal started, I loved the slightly sweet bread, and thought the new dumplings, with their sweet sauce were one of the best things on the menu, but add the very sweet salad dressing, the slightly sweet noodles (that I also loved) and the sweet taste of the chicken wings, and I was beginning to feel "off." Then when the meat came, I found the shrimp too spicy to eat without wiping each one off (my two girls who LOVE seafood wouldn't even eat them) and the other meats to be very dry. The only option, dipping them in sauce which 2 out of three had a sweet underlying taste. By the time the bread pudding came--something I had been looking forward to since our last visit--I could barely eat any. Even though I ate a full meal, I left feeling unsatisfied.

My 2nd issue goes back to the shrimp. I know everybody loves it, but I have a son with seafood allergies. When the cook came out, he told us our son could eat anything except the skewers brought around. Our waitress would bring special skewers that would not have touched the shrimp. This seemed like a good idea, except that our waitress was also given several other tables including one very big one, and never brought meat. There was also no indication at our table that somebody had an allergy, so every time someone came by with meat, we had to make sure and catch them before they got to my son. As soon as we told them, they would walk away, but my son still didn't have meat. Finally, our waitress came by with one skewer of turkey and gave him a piece. She was obviously so over-worked we finally gave up and ordered him chicken fingers off the children's menu, so he could eat as well.

This is the only time we've ever had a problem on Disney property in regards to my son's allergies. I am really hoping they find a better system for the skewers.

Of course even if they do, there would need to be food changes or I am really going to miss O'Hana's. . It still has some of the best food. I honestly would be happy if they just maybe gave choices for the salad and added something that was not sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

We ate there in Nov 07. Why don't I remember the potatoes? I most certainly would have eaten them? Did they only have them for dinner? We had breakfast and lunch there??
    Very sad, now I won't be able to experience them at all!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: