Quantcast Thoughts on Cape May Cafe?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Thoughts on Cape May Cafe?

Well, we have an ADR for the Cape May Cafe @ the BC, primarily b/c it sounded yummy, and having never been there before, we thought it'd be a great way to check out the hotel and see their Christmas displays, as well as those over at the YC.

But, a few recent posters have mentioned that their experience there recently wasn't that great, so I'm doubting our choice now, and wondering if we should just hit Beaches & Cream for lunch, and do Boma (or something similar) for dinner instead.

So - any opinions on Cape May out there??
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been there for breakfast & dinner.

The breakfast is just ok - they took a lot of my favorite foods (french toast sticks & hash rounds) off the buffet to the point of not being worth it for me. The character interaction is great and there's lots of other food choices.

I enjoy the dinner - I am not a seafood eater but there's plenty there to enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

My family and I love Cape May Cafe. Most of my group are big into seafood and love the peel and eat shrimp, and grab big bowls of oysters and clams. I myself am not a huge seafood fan, but still I find there is plenty to enjoy.

My only complaint is the lack of desserts, but everyone is always so full afterwards that that is not really so important

While I find many buffets at disney to be subpar, Cape May is delicious and worth a try. Its a don't miss for us!
    SSR 07
    BC 07, 08, 09
    Grand Flo 94, 06, 07
    Poly 91 & 2006
    WL 2005, 2006, 08
    Ft. W. Cabins 93 & 2004
    P.O. Riverside 2000
    AKL 98
    AKL- Kidani village 09
    CR. 97
    Yacht Club 95
    Dixie Landings 92
    Fort Wilderness Campground 89

Post Thanks / Like

been for both breakfast and dinner

breakfast is good

it was one of my favorite dinner buffetts in disney, we booked adr for there when i go in august
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Blythe, Cape May Cafe is too spotty to recommend. I've had meals there ranging from excellent to bad, with the worst happening last month. Unless you really like buffets and already have a reservation at Boma - Flavors of Africa, I'd skip Cape May and try Beaches & Cream Soda Shop for lunch instead.

The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

It's been several years since I've eaten at the Cape May Cafe for the dinner buffet, but I did enjoy my meals there very much. I do agree with the lack of selection for desserts as a previous poster mentioned. To be honest, I think I like Boma better. For me, Boma is a must-do.

DVC Member at the Boardwalk since 1998
    6/99 Old Key West
    6/00 Boardwalk
    6/01 Wilderness Lodge
    6/02 Boardwalk
    7/03 Beach Club
    7/04 Beach Club
    7/05 Saratoga Springs
    6/06 Boardwalk
    1/8-1/12/08 Boardwalk
    10/27-10/30/09 Boardwalk
    12/18-12/22/09 Boardwalk

10/24-10/30/15 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

I like Boma better. It feels more upscale and unique. My husband really likes Cape May buffet for dinnerbecause he loves the oysters, clams, and mussels, which are hard to come by in Indiana. The holiday decor at Y&BC is nice. Wemet Minnie and Mickey in the lobby dressed in their christmas outfits while waiting to be seated at Cape May last christmas.

Post Thanks / Like

Default cape may not my kind of cafe

Chef mickey's breakfast is far better than Cape May's so I could never pay such a close price and miss out on the better menu. Dinner, we would not do at Cape May's because we don't eat that stuff. Bummer. I wish we had a better buffet at BC, since that's where we are staying. 1900 park fare has a great breakfast though.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Never eaten at Cape May. I didn't care for Boma.

Course you could always skip both of them and join us at Ohanas or Kona??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tink&Goofy View Post
    Never eaten at Cape May. I didn't care for Boma.

Course you could always skip both of them and join us at Ohanas or Kona??
    When are you going there? (if it was in your PM, forgive me... I can't remember right now... )

We changed our Spoodles ressie to Boma... couldn't resist all the reviews. ('cept yours, T&G ) Spoodles will have to wait 'til next time! We'll just head over and check out the Boardwalk after dinner... from what I've heard, we'll have to walk off all that food, anyway...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cape May

We only tried the Cape May buffet once- and although we probably should give them a second chance, there are too many other choices at WDW that are much better. We love seafood but found all the items at the buffet to be very overcooked (yet everything was at room temp- not hot or cold as appropriate). Plus the clams were sandy as well as being tough. If you want seafood, visit one of FL's coasts! Or vacation in Maine.

On the other hand, we love Boma and have dinner there every trip. The food is delicious & served properly, with a nice variety of items (this rotates nightly). We did not find the food too spicy or exotic (as some posters have complained over the years). Our only complaints are that it's so popular (hard to get ADR's sometimes) plus the restaurant can be very noisy (too much wood and not enough sound-absorbing material??)

An added plus to Boma is visiting the AKL- wonderful at Christmas for the decorations.

Post Thanks / Like

I think its worth a try. We have had both breakfast and dinner at Cape May cafe and have enjoyed it both times. My DD must've had 6 bowls of clams!! Not the best seafood in the world, its just good, but worth a visit.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Cape May's food has drastically gone down hill. Specifically their clams, which now are only available in big pots of hot water, so basically they now taste like hot watered-down clams. They use to have them also available in some type of garlic butter juice, but no more. I can understand them offering them BOTH ways, but to take either one of them away would be wrong IMO, because some people can't eat butter/garlic, but some people prefer the taste of that type of seasoning. They still offer a hot butter sauce on the side, but it doesn't taste the same b/c the clams have been sitting in that hot water for a long time and the short time of you putting your own butter sauce on it just does not cut it.

Cape May has made several changes over the past few months. We have eaten their in April, May, and June. In April they actually had these neat little ready-to-go pails made up of clams that people could just grab instead of having to scoop out their own clams. I guess that was just a "test" thing that didn't pan out for them b/c it was not available that way in May or June.

But in June they only will serve watered-down clams per the manager.

Post Thanks / Like

we go to dinner here at least once every trip, primarily because we have found the wait service to be surprisingly good, even by disney standards for a buffet service. boma was good too but as a previous poster said, it was crowded and louder than i expected. the kids liked the desserts - all the little torts and treats were nicely kid sized.

either way, i don't think you'll be disappointed. enjoy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cape May Buffet

We recently ate at Cape May buffet. I thought it should get two . We really enjoyed it. There are a lot of choices and all we had was cooked to perfection. There was plenty of desserts to choose from too. We liked it. Can't wait to go again.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Post Thanks / Like

We enjoyed this place very much. We thought the food selection was plenty and the variety was excellant. We would go again in a heart beat and highly recommend it. The only thing I do not like about this place is that the buffet does not flow easy. It is in a large square and hard to tell where the line starts. Some people don't care if they cut right in front of you.

Boma and Beaches and Cream are two other not to miss places though.
    Too many to count-my grandparents lived in Winter Haven.
    Off site 10/95, 5/98, 12/07
    CBR 5/00, 5/01
    POFQ 5/01,12/04
    FWC 12/02
    CSR 12/03
    YC 1/05
    POR 12/05
    AKL 1/06, 1/07
    CR 1/04
    ASM 12/07
    5/02 Magic Eastern
    5/09 Magic Western

Post Thanks / Like

We almost always make this one of our stops for dinner. Breakfast is average, but dinner is good. It's not high end seafood but more like a red lobster or any other chain restaurant. Mussles, clams, chowder, salads and many other things are good.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it's very hit and miss.

We have been so many times in the last few years and it's been everything from just okay to excellent.

I can't figure out why food that is exactly the same comes out so different each time.

I will say that I cannot stand the way that the buffet is set up. It's so clogged and no one ever knows where the lines starts or stops.
    Disney Annual Passholder for 10 years and counting....

Post Thanks / Like

Cape May is my family's favorite! We have been ther multiple times and have never been disappointed. DD7's only dining request for our next trip was that we eat there twice. We are a big fan of buffets (DD likes adult food more than kids food) and Cape May is much better than most at Disney. DH loves the carving stations. I love the clam chowder. (and I am from new england) DD makes a meal out of the clams and shrimp. The salad bar is great too. I also remember enjoying the desert bar. We haven't been to Boma yet, (trying it next trip) so I really can't compare. I definetly say give Cape May a try. I hope you like it as much as we do!
    Past Disney Trips
    multiple times as a child all off site.
    CBR x2 as a teenager
    2004 Sept. -offsite first trip with DH and DD
    2006 May- POFQ -Grand Gatherings with the whole fam.
    2007 Dec- POFQ -with the inlaws
    2008 Dec -CSR
    2009 Sept- OKW
    2010 CSR

Post Thanks / Like

We really enjoyed the seafood for dinner last summer, but the service was awful! We also waited a long time past our ADR time with a hungry group and a tired 4 1/2 DD. It was NOT a good experience (not even including the rude guest at the table next to us!)
    Good luck!
    Jen
    S-O-UTH F-L-O-R-IDA! South Florida, South Florida, GO BULLS!!!

August 2008: Port Orleans Riverside
    July 2007: Polynesian
    Feb. 2006: Pop Century
    Before that many day trips and too many to list!!! I've been going since I was 3!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: