Quantcast Going back to Maine this summer!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Going back to Maine this summer!

Okay, so my WDW plans were a bust this year, so we decided that staying home all summer while waiting and saving for next year would be prudent. The only problem was that this plan really didn't sit well with me at all. Therefore, we decided another New England trip would be the way to go!

I'll be honest. With the exception of WDW, I could happily make a lifetime out of summer trips around New England, and if forced to narrow it further, NH or ME would suit me just fine.

We decided on Old Orchard Beach, ME, which narrowly beat out our other options, the White Mountains, NH and Mystic, CT. If I had the time and money, I'd visit all three!

Unfortunately, due to a late start and a variety of other issues, we weren't able to get into a prime spot near the beach, but we booked a delightful looking hotel in nearby Biddeford. This is good because we actually only plan on spending one or two of our six days (weather permitting) on the beach anyway. What the hotel lacks in character, it makes up for in convenience and amenities, not to mention I got a $40 a night government discount!

Aside from the beach, famous pier, and nearby amusement parks, we are considering a whale watch , a Portland Sea Dogs baseball game, the Portland Children's museum, and Maine Wildlife Park as options. I'm also hoping to stop by York on the way home to visit the Nubble Lighthouse for sentimental reason. (We went there last summer.)

I can't wait to start making more concrete plans. Only 8 weeks to go!

Anyway, sorry for this rambling post, but I got kinda excited after thinking that we'd be home all summer.

Tell me what you think!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that funny, we are going to ME in July to OOB and staying in Biddeford as well.....with Intercot friends, DWHUBBY and DisneyWhirled. Great choices. Hope you have a blast!! Have a red hot dog for me. You should check out the Portland Headlight in Cape Elizabeth, it's an awesome lighthouse you see pictures of all over the place.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Your plans sound awesome... we are headed to Maine this summer, too!! We usually spend a week up off of Brunswick on Orr's Island, with an overnight stop on the way there in York, my "home away from home". (grew up going there every summer -- but our cabanas on the rocks overlooking the Nubble are long gone... ... and we lived in Nashua, NH for 6 years, so we were there as often as we could be -- I miss that!!)
    But, we decided to take the girls on a longer trip to Disney this year in December, so we gave up our week in heaven for another week in the same, just a totally different kind of week!
    But, like you, staying home all summer didn't feel right, so we're doing a 3-night/4-day trip to York, staying at the Katahdin Inn on York Beach. (The big yellow farmhouse overlooking the beach, on the right as you're at the beach - you should try it sometime, the prices can't be beat - even in-season, their rooms are $129/night -- off-season, they drop as low as $69!!)

Anyway - I hope you guys have a terrific time... we haven't been to OOB yet, but someday hope to visit it!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, we are going to Maine too 4th of July week. We are staying in Kennbunkport at the Cabot Cove Cottages and both my brothers have rented homes nearby with their families. We do this every year - we had a house in Maine growing up and spent a lot of time there. It is really beautiful up there. We also visited the White Mountains in NH this past winter for the first time, and I'm sure we'll be back - it was great.
    Disney Villas 1986/CR 1988/Dolphin 1992/POR-GF 1996/WL 1997/CBR 1999/WL 2001/BC 2003/POFQ-HHR 2004/BWV-VWL 2005/POLY 2006/ AKL 2006/YC 2007/Wonder-BCV 2008/WL-BLT 2009/POLY 2010/BWV-Dream 2011/CSR 2012/ YC 2013/YC 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinmickey9170 View Post
    Isn't that funny, we are going to ME in July to OOB and staying in Biddeford as well.....with Intercot friends, DWHUBBY and DisneyWhirled. Great choices. Hope you have a blast!! Have a red hot dog for me. You should check out the Portland Headlight in Cape Elizabeth, it's an awesome lighthouse you see pictures of all over the place.
    I'm a bit obsessed with lighthouses right now after our visit to the Nubble Last year, so Portland Headlight is on the top of my "must do" list. It's my goal to visit every lighthouse in NE in my lifetime.

We'll be visiting Portland at some point, so stopping by the lighthouse should be easy to fit in.

Thanks for the reply. Enjoy your trip too!
    Viva Darth Macho!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    Your plans sound awesome... we are headed to Maine this summer, too!! We usually spend a week up off of Brunswick on Orr's Island, with an overnight stop on the way there in York, my "home away from home". (grew up going there every summer -- but our cabanas on the rocks overlooking the Nubble are long gone... ... and we lived in Nashua, NH for 6 years, so we were there as often as we could be -- I miss that!!)
    But, we decided to take the girls on a longer trip to Disney this year in December, so we gave up our week in heaven for another week in the same, just a totally different kind of week!
    But, like you, staying home all summer didn't feel right, so we're doing a 3-night/4-day trip to York, staying at the Katahdin Inn on York Beach. (The big yellow farmhouse overlooking the beach, on the right as you're at the beach - you should try it sometime, the prices can't be beat - even in-season, their rooms are $129/night -- off-season, they drop as low as $69!!)

Anyway - I hope you guys have a terrific time... we haven't been to OOB yet, but someday hope to visit it!
    When we visited York last year, I thought to myself that I could easily make it a "home away from home," so I can totally understand your love for it.

I couldn't get enough of the Nubble myself. The thought of a room overlooking it sounds exciting. Some day I'd like to stay at the Anchorage (We had to stay next door at the Sea Latch because we got a late start with our plans last year too) so that I can have a balcony overlooking the beach and the Nubble in the distance.

Thanks for the reply, and enjoy your visit.
    Viva Darth Macho!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySue View Post
    Wow, we are going to Maine too 4th of July week. We are staying in Kennbunkport at the Cabot Cove Cottages and both my brothers have rented homes nearby with their families. We do this every year - we had a house in Maine growing up and spent a lot of time there. It is really beautiful up there. We also visited the White Mountains in NH this past winter for the first time, and I'm sure we'll be back - it was great.
    I haven't been to Kennebunk, but we might take in a whale watch out of there, so maybe it will be our first visit.

I can't wait to go to the White Mountains in the fall or winter some day. All my visits have been in the summer. I love New England!
    Viva Darth Macho!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so happy to hear that you guys love Maine and I want to welcome you to my wonderful state. We live 20 minutes from Brunswick and my DH builds and remodels houses on all the islands in Harpswell Orr's and Bailey Islands as well as Cundy's Harbor. No matter how many times I see the coast of Maine it is just as beautiful every time. I hope you all have a wonderful time here.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Portland, ME (1421 miles from the Magic!!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerfreak View Post
    I'm so happy to hear that you guys love Maine and I want to welcome you to my wonderful state. We live 20 minutes from Brunswick and my DH builds and remodels houses on all the islands in Harpswell Orr's and Bailey Islands as well as Cundy's Harbor. No matter how many times I see the coast of Maine it is just as beautiful every time. I hope you all have a wonderful time here.

Agreed!
    Hope everyone has great vacations in 'vacationland'!!
    We've had beautiful weather lately, and although the ocean is still abit cold, it's starting to warm enough to actually go IN.

Please, let us Mainers know if you need any help in your travel planning.

See ya real soon!
    "Veggie, veggie! Fruit, fruit!"
    Next Trip: April 2013 - POP
    Previous Trips: 11/12 – ASMu; 8/12 – ASMu; 2/12 - CSR; 12/08; 9/08; 5/08; 2/08 - POFQ; ‘06; ‘05; ’04- ASMu; ‘02-Offsite; ‘01-ASMo; ‘00; ‘99; ‘97-SOG; ‘96-FW Cabin; ‘94-CBR; ‘92-CBR; ‘90-CBR; ‘88-Poly; ‘86-Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerfreak View Post
    Hmmm.... I'll have to keep you guys in mind if we ever get a chance to build on my mom's land in York...

Quote Originally Posted by chick20679 View Post
    We've had beautiful weather lately, and although the ocean is still abit cold, it's starting to warm enough to actually go IN.
    ... I'll never forget the first time I took my DH to Maine... and went running into the ocean... he ran in after me, then stopped dead in his tracks, with this PRICELESS look on his face... I think he immediately thought he'd married an ice princess, as he would go no further than his calves (although he does now, 15 years later... ) and couldn't figure out how I'd just run in so far!!

Can't wait to get there...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

We went to Wells Beach a few years ago and had a very nice vacation. My DS who was about 3 at the time, really enjoyed getting wet in the ocean. My BIL took him in. There was no way I was going in! Ha ha. Way too cold for me. But, my Florida-born little guy didn't mind the cold water. I swear, he was a fish in a previous life. He'd swim in a puddle if I let him!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess Maine's the place to be this summer! We're going in the middle of August to Bar Harbor. I have never been there - never seem to make it past the shopping in Kittery... We're only spending 4 days up there but plan to do a whale watch and drive out to Campobello Island. It looks really quiet out there. I'd love any ideas about Bar Harbor and the island from any Maine residents!
    Next Trip: 2019-Yacht Club
    Resorts Stayed At Since 1994
    :
    Yacht Club (9 times)
    Beach Club (10 times)
    Animal Kingdom Lodge (1 time)
    Caribbean Beach (3 times)
    Dixie Landings (1 time)
    Contemporary Resort (1 time)

1987 Disney Music Days-Marched in EPCOT!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDale2708 View Post
    I guess Maine's the place to be this summer! We're going in the middle of August to Bar Harbor. I have never been there - never seem to make it past the shopping in Kittery... We're only spending 4 days up there but plan to do a whale watch and drive out to Campobello Island. It looks really quiet out there. I'd love any ideas about Bar Harbor and the island from any Maine residents!
    How exciting! At the moment, my dream outside of WDW vacation is to go to Bar Harbor. I've done a fair amount of research and there's a LOT to do there. I hope someday to spend a good two weeks there on vacation. I hope you have a great time, and please let me know how things worked out. Maybe write a trip report?
    Viva Darth Macho!

Post Thanks / Like

We'll be in Wells at the end of August. It's our second vacation home, with WDW rating first. I love it there. We alternate WDW years with Wells vacation years. Sounds like you're getting ready for a fun time, DarthMacho.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I too want to welcome you all to our beautiful state. I live in Brunswick, close to Cook's Corner. We have about equal distances between Bailey, Orrs, etc. and Popham beach and the two forts there. I consider myself incredibly blessed and if you ever want some inexpensive things to do around here, give me a shout. Have great trips, all of you
    °o° Traci ¨¨*:•

Next up, hopefully, Just me & my Honey Sept. 9-14 ASMu celebrating 30 yrs and my b-day. Thanks Denise from MJ :) for the help so far & answering all my stupid questions.

Countless previous trips

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Another Mainer welcomes you fellow Intercotees to our beautiful home state.

I've been to Bar Harbor many times and we also went to Campobello Island last summer. I'd be happy to give suggestions for dining and places to stay in the area. Just PM me or reply to this thread.
    Meg
    DVC Owner at AKV and BCV
    Upcoming Trips
    6/11--AKV & BCV with Kim & Gary
    8/11--Alaska on the Disney Wonder
    6/12--AKV with Jess, BCV just the two of us
    6/14--AKV & BCV just the two of us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post

Okay, so my WDW plans were a bust this year, so we decided that staying home all summer while waiting and saving for next year would be prudent. The only problem was that this plan really didn't sit well with me at all. Therefore, we decided another New England trip would be the way to go!

I'll be honest. With the exception of WDW, I could happily make a lifetime out of summer trips around New England, and if forced to narrow it further, NH or ME would suit me just fine.

We decided on Old Orchard Beach, ME, which narrowly beat out our other options, the White Mountains, NH and Mystic, CT. If I had the time and money, I'd visit all three!

Unfortunately, due to a late start and a variety of other issues, we weren't able to get into a prime spot near the beach, but we booked a delightful looking hotel in nearby Biddeford. This is good because we actually only plan on spending one or two of our six days (weather permitting) on the beach anyway. What the hotel lacks in character, it makes up for in convenience and amenities, not to mention I got a $40 a night government discount!

Aside from the beach, famous pier, and nearby amusement parks, we are considering a whale watch , a Portland Sea Dogs baseball game, the Portland Children's museum, and Maine Wildlife Park as options. I'm also hoping to stop by York on the way home to visit the Nubble Lighthouse for sentimental reason. (We went there last summer.)

I can't wait to start making more concrete plans. Only 8 weeks to go!

Anyway, sorry for this rambling post, but I got kinda excited after thinking that we'd be home all summer.

Tell me what you think!
    Hope you have a wonderful trip! If you'd like some info on the hotel PM me and I would be glad to give you some as we live in Biddeford. Have you been to Old Orchard Beach? They really have made significant improvements in the area to make it a lovely place to visit.
    Your plans sound wonderful!. If I can be of any assistance helping you plan (send you brochures or something), please let me know!!
    Karen

DVC Owners at SSR & BLT
    1994-Offsite Honeymoon
    2003-May ASM-1st Time for Kids
    2005-Feb AKL
    2006-May SSR
    2006-Aug OKW
    2007-May VWL
    2007-Aug SSR
    2008- May BWV
    2009- Aug Cruise (Wonder) & WDW
    2009 -Dec Last minute Christmas trip
    2010-May BLT

2011- Aug- DISNEY DREAM!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I hope you all have wonderful trips. Maine is a state that I will see one day. There are two places that I have always wanted to see, besides WDW that is, Maine and New York City. If any of you do trip reports I'll be happy to read them. Have a great time!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWhirled View Post
    Hope you have a wonderful trip! If you'd like some info on the hotel PM me and I would be glad to give you some as we live in Biddeford. Have you been to Old Orchard Beach? They really have made significant improvements in the area to make it a lovely place to visit.
    Your plans sound wonderful!. If I can be of any assistance helping you plan (send you brochures or something), please let me know!!
    Thank you for the offer, but I don't think we need any specific information, as we're getting quite a bit from on-line and through the mail.

One bit of advice I would like to ask is what to do when we want to go to the pier, the beach, and the amusement park? Will it be impossible to park? I imagine it is like York Beach, where you have to feed the meters? I was hoping to get a place right on the beach in order to avoid that mess, but we ended up in Comfort Suites because everything nearby was booked. We're happy with the place we got though.

Any tips or advice are welcome of course.

Thanks.
    Viva Darth Macho!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post

One bit of advice I would like to ask is what to do when we want to go to the pier, the beach, and the amusement park? Will it be impossible to park? I imagine it is like York Beach, where you have to feed the meters? I was hoping to get a place right on the beach in order to avoid that mess, but we ended up in Comfort Suites because everything nearby was booked. We're happy with the place we got though.

Any tips or advice are welcome of course.

Thanks.

In OOB, there are several parking lots. There are meters, but that can be cumbersome. There are lots where you pay a flat fee for the day and you pay when parking the car. In my opinion, this is the best way to go.

People are coming and going all day, so you shouldn't have a problem finding parking in the lots. The meters can be hard to find.

Make sure you indulge in pier fries and Bill's Pizza...they are a local staple

The Comfort Suites is brand new within the last 3 years. We have gone swimming there during the winter...they let locals pay to use the pool.

Hope you have a wonderful time!!!
    Karen

DVC Owners at SSR & BLT
    1994-Offsite Honeymoon
    2003-May ASM-1st Time for Kids
    2005-Feb AKL
    2006-May SSR
    2006-Aug OKW
    2007-May VWL
    2007-Aug SSR
    2008- May BWV
    2009- Aug Cruise (Wonder) & WDW