Quantcast Big Brother's Watching!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Brother's Watching!!

I noticed at Epcot that at the start of a few attractions, they have these security monitors that show you that "you're being watched" so basically that you better behave yourself. I noticed them at the start of Spaceship Earth and on Living With The Land. I didn't think it seemed very "Disney"...it was like, "behave or else!" Have you guys noticed that? Do you think it deters bad behaviour? I don't think it does. If some punk is gonna act up, I think they will whether or not Disney shows off their security cameras at the start of the attraction. Doesn't everyone assume that they're being watched already for safety reasons, so why emphasize that fact? I dunno...I thought it was out of taste...

*Disneyland Paris Hotel
    *Grand Floridian
    *Disneyland Hotel
    *Boardwalk Inn *Bay Lake Tower
    *Contemporary *Old Key West
    *Polynesian Resort *Animal Kingdom Lodge
    * Port Orleans French Quarter
    * Fort Wilderness
    *Art of Animation * Pop Century
    * All Star Movies, Music & Sports

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I guarantee there's not a place at WDW that's not being watched. That said, there are probably some attractions that tend to attract the type of visitor with tendencies to vandalize or participate in illegal activities. It's probably in those areas that Disney wants these folks to know they're under surveillence. I'm all for that. Those types of people are better off getting caught my Disney then being caught by me. You don't mess with the mouse with me looking.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously I don't work for Disney so this isn't gospel, but in most situations you have to legally disclose the surveillance to protect people's privacy. Knowing you are being watched means you can choose not to ride and by riding are consenting to the camera surveillance. New privacy laws and all that. That's why we had to do it where I worked.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I guarantee there's not a place at WDW that's not being watched. That said, there are probably some attractions that tend to attract the type of visitor with tendencies to vandalize or participate in illegal activities. It's probably in those areas that Disney wants these folks to know they're under surveillence.
    Vandalism and safety are probably the biggest reasons for security cameras, but I've heard from CMs about things people do when they think they aren't being watched. These signs let those people know that they can be seen ... even on dark rides like Pirates and the Haunted Mansion.

I used to live in a building that had security cameras in all 4 elevators. These cameras, along with other cameras throughout the building, could be seen on the cable system by anyone living there. Sometimes it was quite apparent that people didn't realize others could be watching.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I like the fact the notices are up and people are told they are being observed. i know that the ne patriots watch the crowds for unruly behavior and it works. they tossed a group behind us last year because they were caught on camera drinking from liquor bottles they snuck in and smoking - and this was after the majority of the folks around them had tried to self police the situation and get them to calm down. its sad when people just cant control themselves and just have a nice time without disrupting the nice time for the people around them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with the signs being put up and think they might deter some people from doing things that could cause the ride to **** down and cause problems for the rest of us.

That being said, unlike audio, I do not believe you have to have someone's permission to film , or take their picture. Imagine if you had to get everyone's permission in the background of the pictures you take of your family or something else at Disney.
    Last edited by Von-Drake; 06-12-2008 at 07:50 AM. Reason: added information
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Von-Drake View Post
    I have no problem with the signs being put up and think they might deter some people from doing things that could cause the ride to **** down and cause problems for the rest of us.

That being said, unlike audio, I do not believe you have to have someone's permission to film , or take their picture. Imagine if you had to get everyone's permission in the background of the pictures you take of your family or something else at Disney.

In the US, there are 4 privacy torts, one of which is the appropriation of someones name, personality, or likeness. So while you don't need permission to take a photo for personal use like a home photo album or scrapbook, if you were going to use it for any sort of commercial use, you would need the person's permission. I don't believe Disney's selling security tapes for profit, so it likely isn't an issue.

(For anyone interested, the other 3 are intrusion of solitude, portraying the plaintiff in a false light, and disclosure of embarrassing private facts that would be found patenly offensive by contemporary community standards)
    "One can't believe impossible things."
    "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

3/21 & 3/22/07- Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the camera's at Disney either or the signs making sure everyone knows they are there...I mean its bad enough with all the pictures that get "washed away" on Spl(Fl)ash Mountain...I can only imagine how much more of that kind of stuff (or worse) would be going on in the dark rides among hormone driven teens, exhibitionists and public thrill seekers without the watchful eye of Big Brother Mouse.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the moving attractions at WDW have a backstage control room (usually referred to informally as the "tower"). The tower consoles include ride stop buttons that temporarily stop ride motion, emergency stop buttons that shut down everything, PA systems, communication systems, and yes, security camera monitors. A CM is in the tower at all times to watch over the ride systems and the guests experiencing the attraction.

You can expect to be watched whenever you are out of direct sight of the CMs who are loading and unloading the ride. Even an open air ride like Kali River Rapids has every portion of the ride under surveillance. It's really amazing what some people will do when they think they are not being observed.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Welcome to our world. "Out of taste" or not, safety and security has to be a top priority.

We're living in a world where the unthinkable all too often becomes the evening news. Child abductions, sexual assault, and other malicious acts are not far too common. Imagine if Walt Disney World were to reduce the level of monitoring for the sake of not being "out of taste". The very moment something tragic happened, those very same people who were screaming about "Big Brother" watching would be crying about "why doesn't Disney do something to increase security".

In my opinion, until the public learns how to behave, especially where the safety and well-being of children is involved, I say move over "Big Brother" paranoia, bring on the security cameras. It's sad that it has to be that way, but one preventable abduction or assault would do much more to destroy the magic than a few cameras.
    Marker from MO

Gottaluvgoof Guest

Heck, I never noticed anything. I'm so excited to be getting on another ride, I'm sure I probably zipped right past it. It certainly doesn't bother me. Whatever it takes to keep things smooth for me and my family. I'm not doing anything wrong, so I don't care what their watching.

Post Thanks / Like

This doesn't bother me at all. Actually, it makes me feel a little safer knowing they're watching. Department stores and convenience stores have cameras. I imagine most public areas do.

lockedoutlogic Guest

they've always had some sort of security system in place.....but not necessarily cameras....

the problem with cameras is that you have to pay to have someone watch them.....

disney preferred the pressure mat system in many cases.....where a sensor to the sides of the track would alert control if somewhere to exit the vehicle....

many of the rides in Magic Kingdom....and i believe most of the original EPCOT pavilions featured this low maintenance security system....

the exception are the more "thrill rides" such as splash mountain....where shennanigans can lead to injury or death.....

now perhaps they've updated and gone to a camera system as rides have been rehabbed....but i don't know

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Doesn't everyone assume that they're being watched already for safety reasons, so why emphasize that fact? I dunno...I thought it was out of taste...
    It's never safe to assume. Especially not with the type of person who would do something foolish or criminal within one of the WDW parks. They're not thinking like average Joe does, otherwise they'd control their own behavior in the first place. We all know one thing and that's the fact that WDW isn't like anyother place. They're known for their taste, class, service etc. The WD company is VERY calculated and I'm sure has chosen to place these signs there for specific reasons that overrode their desire to stay tasteful and or classy.

"Big Brother" in this case is a multi billion dollar international corporation that must protect it's interests from frivolous law suits, which in this day and age are countless, and must keep it's customers safe in this age of terror. Keep in mind you're on THEIR PRIVATE property. If you don't want them surveilling you, you can always choose not to go. WDW would be foolish not to use technology to keep people, who keep them in business, safe and protect their company from harm.

77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyLove View Post
    ...if you were going to use it for any sort of commercial use, you would need the person's permission.
    I was just thinking about this, and realised that Disney never got my permission to use my photo to advertise DisneyQuest (I think it's still there), but I remember reading somewhere that entry into the parks and attractions gives Disney the right to use your photo and/or likeness in advertising material. Some sort of standard form contract you accept by entering the park. The same sort of contract you agree to when you park your car in a shopping mall. They are not responsible for damages caused by shopping carts.

If you don't agree to the contract, don't enter the park. No negotiations allowed.

I personally have never worried about security cameras. Never done much to be ashamed of.

Well, there were some issues while working on the beach wearing nothing much more than a Speedo.....
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garymacd View Post
    IThe same sort of contract you agree to when you park your car in a shopping mall. They are not responsible for damages caused by shopping carts.

If you don't agree to the contract, don't enter the park. No negotiations allowed.
    But they are responsible...(I received compensation in the past for a big dent in my wife's former Taurus caused by a windblown buggy at chain grocery store in Memphis...and there were all kinds of signs saying they were not liable.) The sign is really just designed to discourage filing complaints or to get you to leave the premises before finding out you could have been compensated(after you leave, its near impossible to prove their buggy did the damage.

I'm not trying to be nit-picky and I know my comment is not really a pertinent point to the overall discussion about Big Brother, but if any of my intercot friends have a car get "buggy struck" I just wanted them to know to go inside and immediately file a complaint with the store manager.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DNS View Post
    This doesn't bother me at all. Actually, it makes me feel a little safer knowing they're watching.

Same here! I know we're never going to do anything that would get us in trouble, so I don't mind "them" watching out for the troublemakers!
    "That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." ~Walt Disney

Disneyland 1987
    WDW 1992
    POFQ 6/25/01-7/1/01
    POP 6/26/06-7/1/06
    POP 8/4/08-8/9/08
    POR 8/5/09-8/12/09
    POR 10/27-10/31
    Next Trip- POR 6/23-6/28

Post Thanks / Like

When I first read this, I didn't think of a personal violation. I thought it was great that there were cameras and I hope there are more around WDW for the safety of the children. If a child gets lost maybe the cameras can help locate them or if (I hate to say) someone takes a child. Maybe by having the signs posted the latter will never happen.
    Too many to count-my grandparents lived in Winter Haven.
    Off site 10/95, 5/98, 12/07
    CBR 5/00, 5/01
    POFQ 5/01,12/04
    FWC 12/02
    CSR 12/03
    YC 1/05
    POR 12/05
    AKL 1/06, 1/07
    CR 1/04
    ASM 12/07
    5/02 Magic Eastern
    5/09 Magic Western

Post Thanks / Like

Smile I See You!

I took the KttK backstage tour on a recent trip, and our tourguide mentioned that, if you're in a park, there's a camera that's watching you (except for the bathrooms of course). He then pointed out several of the cameras & showed how they were disguised to look like something else. Trust me, you may not see it, but security is everywhere at WDW.
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jennsky View Post
    I noticed them at the start of Spaceship Earth and on Living With The Land.
    We did notice that. Right before you enter the greenhouse there's a camera screen and a CM. If I remember correctly, LWTL boats no longer have a CM on board. We assumed that's why. It's very possible to get hurt if you're messing about on the boat, so they'd need to be able to see what's going on.

Cameras don't bother me. All of rides have them, and most people probably never knew they were being watched, or never thought about it until it was made known.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: