Quantcast Tidbits May 2008

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Tidbits May 2008

Tidbits
    May 2008

Rehabs in Space

5/22/08 Recent reports from Structural Engineering and Operations have indicated that the Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain is still tentatively planned to receive a major refurbishment. According to these reports, the current rehab plans call for the track to receive a major maintenance overhaul, a refurbished load area, new on-ride effects, and new single seater trains with on-board audio. While these reports have held that most (if not all) of the track will be replaced, the track layout will reportedly remain unchanged. The refurbishment is reportedly tentatively scheduled to start January 2009 and last 10-11 months.

A Passing Thought

5/22/08 The Fuel for Thought post-show exhibit at Test Track has closed for refurbishment with out prior announcment. The area is currently behind construction walls with out any indication if the area is being refurbished or replaced with a new exhibit.

Treehouse Re-Growth

5/22/08 Demolition of the Treehouse Villa's has begun. The demolition is quite noticeable to Guests in the passing area; however, there has yet to be any signifigant reports of the work affecting any Guests' stay at the nearby resorts.

4/8/08 Construction Permits have been filed for the major refurbishments of the Treehouse Villas' Pool and all 60 the Tree House Villa units. While these permits show signs of the project progressing, they do not shed any light on a potential completion date.

Kiosk Under the Big Top

5/22/08 A themed extension area of Dumbo the Flying Elephant has been added to Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom. The circus themed alcove features a relatively large Disney Vacation Club kiosk themed to a circus tent. The area also includes a "wild Animals" Circus Car photo spot.

A More Contemporary Tower

5/13/08 Construction permits have been filed to prepare the construction site for a "new coffee counter" to be added to the Contemporary's Lobby. It is unclear from this permit if this is an addition to or replacement of the existing Contemporary Grounds location. Resort Cast reported plans to replace current Contemporary Grounds coffee shop with a new Children’s area and add a new coffee shop nearer to the entrance to the convention center back in October of 2005. The remainder of these plans have come to fruition, so it is likely these will as well, however these current permits neither wholly confirm nor deny these previously reported plans.

Epicurean Expansion

5/13/08 The Magic Kingdom park has announced that its Diamond Horseshoe Saloon dining location will offer lunch service on select days in Late May 2008. The Frontierland counter service location will offer a lunch serving of assorted sandwiches and snacks May 17, 24, 25, 27, and 30. The lunch service will be offered from 11:00 am till 4:00 pm on those select days.

A New Journey

5/13/08 The Meet & Greet portion of the Journey into Narnia: Prince Caspian exhibit at Disney's Hollywood Studios has been announced to open May 16, 2008. Disney has also released further details about the Prince Caspian Meet & Greet that will be part of the new exhibit, see Prince Caspian to Appear at Disney's Hollywood Studios for details and discussion. The full exhibit is still scheduled to open at a later time in "Summer 2008"

3/21/08 Paper work has been filed for the addition of structural steel and plaster rockwork to the currently-under-refurbishment Journey into Narnia attraction. Disney has also publicly announced the forthcoming form of attraction and a tentative opening date with the following press release:

Journey into Narnia: Prince Caspian (2008) -- Guests can experience an exclusive opportunity to see behind-the-scenes footage, original concept art, storyboards, props and costumes from the latest installment of “The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.” They can explore Aslan’s stone table chamber set recreated directly from the original molds, see blueprints used for the motion picture, and meet Prince Caspian. Opening summer 2008 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
    Mission: Possible?

5/13/08 Construction walls have appeared in several locations around World Showcase that have been cited in construction permits to install "Interactive Distribution Carts". The permits listed the Italy pavilion, Norway pavilion and International Gateway area as sites of installation. These construction areas are the first overt sign of work being done to prepare the launch of this yet-to-be-defined interactive game.

4/30/08 Further vague permits for what appear to be interactive elements have been filed for locations around World Showcase lending to further semi-educated speculation that the Kim Possible themed Team Possible interactive game will soon be launched on a full scale. Additionally, there have been several Guest reports citing that elements from the trial run of the game have been reinstalled around World Showcase in their non-interactive state. With the Summer Season approaching, it is being speculated that this yet to be defined interactive game will likely be launched with in the coming months.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks Jason!!

The interactive game sounds like something my DS would be interested in playing.
    We are looking forward to hearing more about it.
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait for the interactive game thing to be implemented. My oldest is just about "over" the whole mask thing at the Fun Stops. It sounds like a perfect way to keep kids in his demographic engaged in EPCOT!

Thanks for the updates!
    Next trip - New Years 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

The Kim Possible thing has been in the works for quite a while, it will be interesting to see it finally go live in the parks.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Gottaluvgoof Guest

My family was chosen a few years back to play the Kim Possible game. My daughters loved it. They still talk about it and we were given a limited edition Kim Possible pin for playing. I know they would be thrilled to play it again.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of excited about the Kim Possible game at WS. My DW & I love the exploring the different countries but the kids tend to get bored which limits our time we can spend there. They do the masks which is OK but having another avenue to entertain them would be excellent.

Thanks for the updates!
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the Narnia attraction that is opening May 16? Or is it something else?
    Capt. Sparrow

Next Trip: 12/20 - Old Key West
    5/21 - Boardwalk Villas

Last Trip: 11/19 I 12/15 I 5/10 I 12/09 I 6/09 I 12/08 I 5/08 I 12/07 I 8/07 I 8/06 I 8/05 I 5/05 I 8/04 I 8/03 I 8/02 I 5/02 I 10/00 I 5/98 I 5/93 I 5/88

Post Thanks / Like

Jason, Thanks so much for the update!
    "See, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is you'll never run out of Wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you. And that, my friends, is where the magic lives."Jiminy Cricket
    Our wish came true! Ellie 9/9/13

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the updates.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the updates.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks Jason!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I've heard from a few reliable sources that the Space Mountain refurb is a go. The only thing still being hashed out (from what I've been made to understand) is exactly what it's going to entail.

I think they're still pulling things out/adding things in in terms of just how extensive it will be. My guess is it will be somewhere in between a simple track replacement and the total overhaul that Disneyland's received.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Jason! I'm glad to hear that SM will be getting it's refurb -- but I'm even happier to see that it's not planned to start 'til Jan 2009!! My girls haven't been to the World since May '06, and I was afraid they'd miss their chance to go on SM this December!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I am so happy to hear that they are still moving forward with the "interactive game". DD loved playing Kim Possible a couple of years ago...and still talks about it!

I would love to be able to explore the rest of World Showcase the same way
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Yay for the SM refurb, but I hope it's at the end of January so I can ride one last time when I go earlier in the month!

Hmm, I wonder that would do the TTA . . . can anyone say "construction previews"? (Though they'll probably block the windows. I would.)
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

If they redo the Space Mountain track, I hope it will be as smooth as the track in California!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    If they redo the Space Mountain track, I hope it will be as smooth as the track in California!
    Indeed! DLR has a great SM.

I hope that this will occur AFTER the marathon so we can ride i one more time. We will arrive the evening of the 6th, so we hope to ride it at least one more time!!!

If not, we'll ride it as much as possible in Sept!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to hear that SM won't be refurbished until 2009, I was afraid we were going to miss it in our trip in September. Thanks for the updates!
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: