Quantcast Is it worth the extra money?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it worth the extra money?

On an Upcoming trip Dh and I are going to be staying at POR, but I was just told that we could afford to stay at the Wilderness if I really wanted to. So should I stay at POR and save the money (which will of course be spent on other disney things I am sure) of splurge for WL?
    Our Little Princess Isabelle Born 11/30/09

2001-Contemporary
    2005-All Star Movies(Dh Proposed!)
    2007- Honeymoon! Poly-Wilderness-DCL
    Sept 08- Saratoga Springs-Bought DVC!
    May 09- AKL/ Wilderness Villas (Babymoon!)
    Next Trip- Sept.10 AKL Jambo House

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost impossible to answer as everyone's financial situation is different. If you can afford moving up to the WL without it being any kind of financial hardship I would say go for it. I've stayed at POR and it's very nice, but the Wilderness Lodge IMHO is about as nice (in regard to theming) that Disney has to offer.
    Doug
    38 Trips to Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is different but for us the moderates work just fine. If we spent actual days at the resort than upgrading for us would make sense. We are park people and the extra money for a deluxe just to sleep is not worth it. Also if maybe it was just my DH and I, maybe I might reconsider, maybe. I just cannot justify that kind of money just to sleep and occasionally use the pool. The moderates are what you would normally pay anyway for a decent hotel and you get to stay on property and have the perks. IMHO I would save the money for a memorable dinner or possibly savings for another trip.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Default mods are great for couples

I think the mods will suit you fine....its just two of you, so the room will be plenty large and if you want (with the money you save) you can book a nice meal at an upscale restaurant in one of the deluxe resorts and enjoy the great theming they provide. (wilderness or animal kingdom are wonderfully themed).

another possibility would be to stay at a mod for the early part of your trip and transfer to a deluxe for the las tnight or two (always upgrade at the end because it make the vacation feel like its getting better). We have done this a couple of times in the past and its been like putting the cherry on top of the ice cream Sundae...(by the way disney makes transfers between resorts remarkably easy, even taking care of your luggage for you.)

By the way our biggest reason for us spending the extra bucks for a deluxe on a whole vacation is simply the issue of the two queen bed verses two full beds...the two queens lower the amount of territorial bed quarreling between our teenaged children.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

By the way our biggest reason for us spending the extra bucks for a deluxe on a whole vacation is simply the issue of the two queen bed verses two full beds.
    I hear ya on that one! That is one of the main reasons we upgraded to Deluxe several years ago & haven't gone back. DH and I are used to a King & couldn't get a good nights' sleep in the same full bed at Disney - and I got tired of being kicked by DS in the other bed!

As with many "Disney" things, Value/Moderate/Deluxe are all a matter of personal preference. Only you'll be able to decide if the extra $$$ are worth it! Good luck in your decision!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you think the full size bed will be an issue I would go with the moderate. I love POR and I prefer the area better then the Wilderness Lodge.

If you want to enjoy the Wilderness Lodge book a dinner at Artist Point one evening.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

As an alternative, the OP could (maybe they have?) book a king bed room for about $15 more a night and the bed size won't be a problem.

I think the OP should think about how much time they will use the pool, the transportation, the parks they expect to spend the most time at (WL is a lot closer to MK, but farther from the other parks as compared to POR), and the restaurants to help make their decision.

Personally, I would save the money for something else, especially in this economy.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazeedizneefinatic View Post
    Everyone is different but for us the moderates work just fine. If we spent actual days at the resort than upgrading for us would make sense. We are park people and the extra money for a deluxe just to sleep is not worth it. Also if maybe it was just my DH and I, maybe I might reconsider, maybe. I just cannot justify that kind of money just to sleep and occasionally use the pool. The moderates are what you would normally pay anyway for a decent hotel and you get to stay on property and have the perks. IMHO I would save the money for a memorable dinner or possibly savings for another trip.
    We absolutely love POR and will probably never stay anywhere else. Creature of habit. We have visited the Wilderness Lodge and had dinner at the Whispering Canyon. It is a beautiful resort but, the extra bucks spent out could be used for a special dinner or so. I'd stay mod and visit the deluxes. Now if you're planning on spending a lot of time in the resort other than the parks then go deluxe.
    STEELER SUPERBOWL CHAMPS: 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, and 2008 !

[SIZE="1"]1978 OFF SITE CAMPING
    JUNE 2004 POR
    JULY 2005 POR
    AUGUST 2006 POR
    JUNE - JULY 2007 POR
    DEC 2008- JAN 2009 POR
    JUNE 2009 POR
    JUNE 2010 POR
    JANUARY 2011 POP CENTURY
    APRIL 2011 Planning Stages

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BronxTigger View Post
    As an alternative, the OP could (maybe they have?) book a king bed room for about $15 more a night and the bed size won't be a problem.

I think the OP should think about how much time they will use the pool, the transportation, the parks they expect to spend the most time at (WL is a lot closer to MK, but farther from the other parks as compared to POR), and the restaurants to help make their decision.

Personally, I would save the money for something else, especially in this economy.
    I agree. I would stay at POR and make a dinner reservation at one of WL's restaurants so you can soak up some of the atmosphere. Of the three, I would recommend Artist's Point. The king rooms at POR are very nice and spacious. We were on a corner when we stayed there for a belated honeymoon last year and couldn't have been happier with the room location and layout.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

When are you going???? I feel that is an important factor in this decision. If it is summer and you are going to be out 'til 2 or 3 am using EFM then it really does not matter. But, on my Feb WL trip a few years ago the parks were closing at 6 or 7 at night -- we had lots of time to spend at WL -- it was worth it. Most of our trips we use POR though it is great. I HAVE NOT STAYED IN A BAD DISNEY RESORT!

Thanks
    Scott C
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I have this discussion every year and it inevitably comes down to budget. Usually 5-7 days at a deluxe or 10-12 days at a mod with more souvenir money. The mods always win out for us because we would rather stay longer than pay up for deluxe. The deluxes are nice though and we have done them a couple of times!
    POFQ Jan 2011
    Saratoga Springs May 2010
    POFQ May 2009 and Sept 2009
    POFQ Aug 2008
    POFQ Sept. and March 2007
    POFQ March 2006
    POFQ March 2005 POR July 2005
    POR Dec 2005
    CS August 2004
    Contemporary & POR May/June 2003
    CB May 2002
    OKW 2001
    Disney villas 2000

Post Thanks / Like

Price should certainly be a factor in your decision. That being said, I can only speak for my family when I say that several journeys ago, we were also able to upgrade to the WL, and have not looked back since. We love the overall relaxed atmosphere, and have the opportunity to utilize the resort alot more. And, it just seems that we spend less time on transportation by staying there. And having larger beds certainly does help!
    We've had all views. Standard, MK, lodge, and courtyard. and we prefer the courtyard the best. Nothing like kickin back on the balcony w/a cold one looking out over the pool and Bay lake...Aaaahhhh...
    1975 - Off site
    1980 - Golf Resort
    1981 - Poly
    1982 - CT
    1983 - Poly
    1989 - CBR
    1998 - CBR
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

If it doesn't strain the budget and you're likely to use the amenities of a deluxe resort, go for it. Or if it's what both of you want, go for it!

It's really a matter of personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a personal preference. We upgraded from POFQ to AKL on our last trip and I thought it was well worth the money. But I'm sure your'll enjoy either resort -- afterall, you will be in Disney.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

We decided to do POR first because its something new we have stayed at WL before, and while I love it it's nice to try something diffrent. But most important it means we can afford to go for 2 weeks in 2009 which to me sounds like a plan! Poly here I come in '09
    Our Little Princess Isabelle Born 11/30/09

2001-Contemporary
    2005-All Star Movies(Dh Proposed!)
    2007- Honeymoon! Poly-Wilderness-DCL
    Sept 08- Saratoga Springs-Bought DVC!
    May 09- AKL/ Wilderness Villas (Babymoon!)
    Next Trip- Sept.10 AKL Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

It's my personal peference, but I love the deluxe resorts. The rooms are bigger and I think the guest service is better. The WL is so cozy and beautiful.Go for it!!
    ¸,ø¤º°`¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,Karen°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¸,ø¤º °`°º¤ø,¸¸,DVC MEMBER
    ¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø"If you believe in Magic, you belong..."¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`° º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø

Post Thanks / Like

Those were the same two resorts we were trying to choose from for our first trip to the World. We ultimately went with the WL. I am so excited to be staying there I can not wait! The ambiance, pool, rooms, location to MK, all were factors for us. I think we would be happy with POR also, but I am glad we chose WL!!!
    First trip to WDW June '08.

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney-

Post Thanks / Like

If you can treat yourselves to this very special vacation, I'd spluge for the WL. We are lucky enough to have stayed there 4 times and we all get teary each and every time we first walk into the magnificant lobby -- feeling truly blessed that we are able to come back. There are many other ways to cut corners if you choose to stay at a deluxe. I hope you get to go and enjoy the WL experience!
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

I always tell people to base a choice like this on how much time they will be spending at the resort. Personnally I usually only sleep and shower at my resort, so I stay at the values.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Default transportation

The main reason I like the Deluxe hotels is because of their location. You have a re;axing boatride to MK from WL or the monorail at some other deluxes. At the mods, you''ll be taking the buses to the parks, We've always stayed at the deluxes, but we're trying our 1st mod POFQ in Sep. I hope it goes well!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: