Quantcast Im getting scared...Sci-Fi - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I am scared tooooo!!

I am worried about my meal choices also. We have made reservations at Sci-Fi and Hollywood & Vine. We also are planning to eat at Boma. I have read alot of bad reviews on these places. I am just about ready to cancel all my reservations and take our lunches or eat in the room.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am worried about my meal choices also. We have made reservations at Sci-Fi and Hollywood & Vine. We also are planning to eat at Boma. I have read alot of bad reviews on these places. I am just about ready to cancel all my reservations and take our lunches or eat in the room.
    Don't cancel everything. Remember that these are just opinions. And for everyone who has a good one, someone else has a bad one.

I've never done H&V, but I had a very good meal at Sci-Fi and Boma is my favorite WDW eatery EVER.

Think about your own favorite restaurant at home. I bet if you asked a bunch of people what they think of it, you'd find some that love it, some that say "eh" and some that absolutely despise it. But if it's your favorite, you wouldn't let it stop you from going back.

I'm not saying I'm right about these places and others are wrong, but you never know what your opinion will be until you try it. If you cancel and eat in the room, at the very least, you will miss out on some great theming and atmosphere and some fun meals. I say go and try these places - you may end up with a new favorite.

Post Thanks / Like

I am really surprised to see so many positive reviews for Sci-Fi here. I rarely see those.

I have eaten there a few times. Sometimes the food was less than great, but not so bad to keep us away.

The atmosphere is very cool. My kids love it there.
    It is definately worth trying! Everyone has different tastes.
    John/kmo84

Post Thanks / Like

we loved sci-fi also! we did get stuck in a backseat of a car, which was cramped for me, who stands at a massive 5'7". anyone else wouldn't be able to sit there. aside from that minor issue the food was great. it may not be on the level of Emeril's or Gordon Ramsay's, but it's good drive-in/table service food. plus the scenery is really cool IMO. you'll love it.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

The Sci-Fi is one of the family's fav's. I prefer the lunch menu over dinner. However, the 50's movie clips make the whole meal. The first time I saw them my sides ached from laughing. I hadn't seen those movies since I was small. My younger son is totally enthralled with this restaurant and it is now a mandatory part of each trip. Since family member chooses one special place for an ADR, Sci-Fi is his.
    Life is always better when you mix in a little MOUSE
    1981 1986 1990 2000 2003 off site
    1994 1998 All Star Music,
    2002 All Star Movies,
    2004 2005x2 2012 2013 2019 POR
    2007 2012 2014 2016 2019 Pop
    2008 ASMu Suites
    2014 2017 CBR
    2015 AoA Cars
    2017 AKLx2
    2018 Grand Canyon

Post Thanks / Like

Sci Fi was the one restaurant my family was not totally jazzed about. It was very cold in there and we didn't even get to sit in the car tables due to too many ADR's -- but I was grateful we didn't sit in them -- it would have made it harder to eat and talk. The food choices were not plentiful -- but what we did order was very good. We are going back in October and I didn't make plans to go back to this restaurant.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your choices are great. Hollywood and Vine offers a lot of great choices. Now, the Brown Derby is better, but I like both. Boma is my favorite. Even conservative diners would like the prime rib and other "safe" choices. The Sci Fi is not so much "a nice family dinner" as a fun and unique experience. I find the food mediocre, yet I go every time. My kids LOVE it. Stick to shakes and sandwiches and it's fine. If you really want a nice dinner with family conversation choose a more conventional choice. But if you are up for fun and a laugh, Sci Fi is enjoyable. Just my opinions!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

When we go to Disney we are together 24/7 for a week or more. This restaurant is a little break.

This restaurant allows the kids to feel like the are eating alone and mom and dad eating alone. (the girls in a row, the boys in a row and mom and dad in the back threatening to "make out"...eeewww!)

Also....it is the quietest restaurant in WDW....the kids are watching the movie. It is cool, I always bring sweatshirts for the kids.

We love the ribs and usually get three orders and share (along with a bunch a sides and other things) They also have decent wine!

If you want a Family Dinner, this is not the place. Those round table in the back are very small unless it is 2 adults and a little one.

This is a nice break from the hectic pace of WDW and keeping the kids happy. We also do this as a comprise as we don't do Character Dinners, but the kids go to at least 2 or 3 signature restaurants with us.

Post Thanks / Like

We are going to try it. I too have heard bad things about it, but I think the kids will enjoy the atmosphere.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

We absolutely love Sci-Fi. It is now a must-do for us on every trip. The atmosphere is very fun, and the food isn't bad either. We love the milkshakes and burgers!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday!!

Caribbean Beach Resort (several times)
    Wilderness Lodge (twice)
    Contemporary
    Yacht Club
    Polynesian
    Dixie Landings
    Coronodo Springs
    Pop Century (honeymoon!!)
    Up next CBR June 3-12!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We're trying Sci-Fi this trip, DH has wanted to go for a while, and since we have the Deluxe Dining Plan, we're giving it a try for lunch.

I'm glad to hear some good reviews, but I think a lot has to do with expectations. I'm not thinking this is going to be fancy, but more for the atmosphere, and that can be good enough too!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Sci Fi is a must do for us every trip! We love it! We have eaten lunch there every trip! WE just made a very last minute trip, very low budget (at least for us at WDW!) during Spring Break & I gave DS's their choice for one meal & they both exclaimed "SCI FI". It's not gourmet food, but we've always enjoyed it and the atmosphere is so fun & totally unique. So it largely depends on what you are looking for. If it's something fun & Disney, this should be a hit. If you are looking for more upscale or fine dining, you should look elsewhere rather than spend your time & money & be disappointed. My DS's are now 10 & 12, & have been enjoying since they were 4 & 6. I hope this helps.
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

We ate there last year and enjoyed it. I can't remember what we had though We did sit at a regular table in the back, which was pretty comfortable, I'm not sure how comfortable a car table would be. Oh, and to the other person who posted about Hollywood and Vine, we liked that and we love, love Boma! Its fanatastic, so much variety, our service was great, and you get the bonus of walking around AKL before and after.
    September 2004: CBR...dodging Hurricanes successfully!
    September 2005: CBR again and again dodging Hurricanes with success!
    September 2006: AKL, our honeymoon, just awesome!
    September 2007: POR, anniversary celebration! was awesome:)
    December 2012: First trip with the 4 year old, yay:)

Post Thanks / Like

We like the Sci-Fi! We try to fit it in each time we are in WDW. The seating is fun! We have been seated in the cars and we have been seated at the picnic tables. We prefer the cars.

We (DH, DD18, DD15, and myself of course) have an ADR for this July. I cannot wait!

The old movie clips are neat and the cast interaction has been great fun.

We have not had any problems with the food. We usually have lunch so I cannot speak for dinner.

You should try it, as the others have mentioned.

The atmosphere alone is worth the time.

Have fun!
    Gail
    Next:
    June 2012 - Pop Century
    August 2012 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

The food @ the Sci-Fi is just regular food. Burgers, dogs, fries, o-rings, etc...The cool thing is the setting. Drive-in @ night, outdoors in a 6-seater "car", w/the cheesiest old-timey horror movies/advertisments on the screen. We liked it and the kids thought is was pretty cool. Would do it again!
    74 offsite
    76 poly
    77 pol
    80 poly
    81 golf resort
    83 poly
    84 cr
    87 golf resort
    89 CBR
    98 CBR
    01 CBR
    03 WL
    04 WL
    05 WL
    2006 WL 2010 WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hyper71 View Post
    Do not cancel everything, even though I would never recommend the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater. For a standard buffet, the food at Hollywood & Vine is actually pretty good. We went there using the Fantasmic! Dinner Package and was pleasantly surprised with the fare, especially the dessert bar with soft-serve ice cream. Boma - Flavors of Africa is one of the best restaurants in Disney. Do not skip this meal. Everything is absolutely delicious.

The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone should go at least once and decided for themselves.

I can't tell you how many times I canceled reservations because someone said the food was bad or made reservations somewhere because someone said the food was wonderful... only to realize I do not like what everyone else likes.
    (I am from Louisiana... we eat almost anything)

I likes Sci fi and LOVED Boma. Not every thing at Boma... some of the stuff people rave about are not for me - Zebra Domes being one of them. But I did find lots of great food there.

We all have different tastes. Try it for yourself. If you do not like it THEN put it on your "do not do" list.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same worry as I made an ADR for Sci-Fi for dinner (which everyone says is worse) because I thought the menu looked good - its not fancy but looks like there is a few good options but we chose it mainly because of the atmosphere.

Me and my dad are big sci-fi fans and love the old 1950s black and white B-movies! I thought this was a perfect ADR for us so I'm sticking to it and we'll make our own minds up!

Though it is nice to see so many positive experiences on this post when it always tends to be so negative!
    Previous Trips
    1998 - Offsite
    1999 - Offsite
    2003 - Offsite
    2005 - All Star Movies
    2007 - Pop Century
    2008 - Pop Century
    June 2009 - Pop Century
    Next trip ... September 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

We went there years ago when DS was younger just so we could try it out. The experience is neat. I am a Sci Fi buff since childhood. I loved those movies that used to make me hide under the covers.

The food was just OK, but we were not there for fine dining. We have not returned, not because of anything bad; but we have so much we want to see. We don't want to waste time eating here compared with a quick CS.

I think it is a must do at least once, then decide for yourself. As a comparison, I would say the food is similar to Cosmic Ray's in MK, with a little fancier stuff on the menu. Just my thoughts.
    Ralph
    1996: CB (Oct)
    1997: PO (Sept)
    1998: PO (Sept)
    1999: Poly/BC (Aug)
    2000: PO/BC (Sept)
    2001: BC (Aug)
    2002: BC (Aug)
    2004: BC (Aug)
    2004: BC (Dec)
    2005: BC (June)
    2006: BC (Aug)
    2008: YC (Aug)
    2012: YC (Sept)
    2013: BC (Sept)
    2014: YC (Sept)
    2015: YC (Sept)
    2017: YC (Sept)

Post Thanks / Like

I have probably eaten here at least 5 times, and really have nothing to complain about! The atmosphere is really why you eat here, and the food is good as well! Last time I had the grilled Chicken sandwich and onion rings, it was great! I certainly agree that it should be visited at least once in your life. It is just such a neat concept! Anyway, the food certainly compares to a lot of other counter service places in the parks. We have only gone for lunch, and it was all sandwiches, apps, and soups/salads on the menu, but everything was great! I would say try it at least once!
    Hold on to your hats, cuz this here's the wildest ride in the west!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: