Quantcast why can't kids be kids

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default why can't kids be kids

Not sure if anyone else saw the pics of Miley Cyrus in the news this morning, but it makes me sad. My girls love Hannah Montanna and I really was impressed with all her talk about maintaining a good image and avoiding Hollywood pressures.

I'd link, but I can not remember if news links are allowed or not but you can find it on Drudge.

It's too bad really, she's still just a kid.
    Wife of one Handsome Prince
    Mother to Ariel, Tinker Bell, and twin Mulans

Planning is half the fun!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with you. She looked so bad in those pictures, not just the fact that her back is showing but her face just looked scary. What was her parents thinking? If we took pictures like that at home of our children they would arrest us. :-
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, it is disappointing to see her choose to do this. You would think in her contract her (her manager, or guardian) would have some level of editorial privilege and ask for a new shoot, or hopefully select better pictures. I would hate to think this is just another celebrity publicity scheme. "Yea, I did it, but now I feel so bad about it, didn't think they would turn out like this..." I mean is the intelligence levels of these younger stars just not there. Maybe too much time on sets than in school. Granted I know young people do things without thinking all the way through (I know I did), but these people have more than one other experienced adult looking after their image, first in line should be mom and dad. She is still underage, not an adult, so unless she divorced her parents or became emancipated they could still put the stop to this, right?
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

The article I read on cnn.com speculates that the pictures may be of a "look-alike". Always a possibility.

Since this really isn't "news" per se, I'm going to move this thread down to the Water Cooler; hold on.....and please remain seated until the thread comes to a full and complete stop.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I am praying this kid keeps her head on straight as she has done so far and not the path of Britney or Lindsey Lohan. I didn't like the dress she wore at the Country Music Awards, it just seemed way too mature, it had a big keyhole opening in the middle chest, just way too mature for a 15 yo. I haven't seen the article, I'll have to look at it.

PS Congrats on adopting your twin Mulans!! I was excited to read that in your sig. I always remember seeing your princess and prince tag and then saw the twins.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

As Ed mentioned, there is quite a bit of discussion out there as to whether these pictures are legit or not. I believe there have been instances in the past when people have put fake photos of her out there to try to make her look bad.

I think people just want to tear her down and turn her into the next Brittney Spears.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I just went and looked, that sure is an exact look-a-like if it's true. I really hate it if they are her.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiggTigg5 View Post
    The article I read on cnn.com speculates that the pictures may be of a "look-alike". Always a possibility.

Since this really isn't "news" per se, I'm going to move this thread down to the Water Cooler; hold on.....and please remain seated until the thread comes to a full and complete stop.

I'm really confused by all the pictures. The ones I saw this morning flashing on the news were done by Vanity Fair but Miley said in her released comments that there were some floating around the Internet of her that she was not proud of. I did see some other rather "suggestive" photos of her (taken obviously by a personal camera) a couple of weeks ago but I really thought it was a look-a-like. These particular photos showed "Miley" in a pic with her boyfriend and another one showed her with her shirt pulled partly down showing her undergarments. So in listening to what was reported this morning, I got the impression that she was not apologizing for the Vanity Fair spread, but was apologizing for the unofficial photos that were circulating a few weeks ago. Hmmm....maybe I was rushing this morning (well it is Monday and I did sleep in) but I think I had better go read up on this.

Anybody have any clue what I am talking about? I truly wish kids would just be kids also.
    Next Trip: 2008 (hoping and praying)
    POR-August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Miley Cyrus says Vanity Fair photo spread embarrasses her

Mon Apr 28, 3:40 AM EDT
    Miley Cyrus is taking issue with a photo of herself that's going around, and it's not another amateur, truth-or-dare Internet snapshot — it's the handiwork of Annie Leibovitz.

"I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed," Cyrus said Sunday in a statement through her publicist. "I never intended for any of this to happen and I apologize to my fans who I care so deeply about."

The photos, appearing in the upcoming issue of Vanity Fair, were taken by Leibovitz, a renowned celebrity photographer whose edgy, silver-toned portraits have included subjects such as Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansson and a naked, pregnant Demi Moore.

The Cyrus pictures accompany an interview with the 15-year-old pop star and her father, singer Billy Ray Cyrus. They include shots of the teen wrapped in what appears to be a satin bedsheet, looking over her shoulder with her back exposed.

The Disney Channel, which airs Cyrus' TV show "Hannah Montana," was also critical of Vanity Fair.

"Unfortunately, as the article suggests, a situation was created to deliberately manipulate a 15-year-old in order to sell magazines," a network statement said.

A phone message left for a Vanity Fair representative was not immediately returned Sunday night. But in a statement to the TV show "Entertainment Tonight," Vanity Fair defended its position.

"Miley's parents and/or minders were on the set all day," the magazine said. "Since the photo was taken digitally, they saw it on the shoot and everyone thought it was a beautiful and natural portrait of Miley."

In a caption released by Vanity Fair with the photo last week, Cyrus expressed her comfort with how the apparently topless picture turned out.

"I think it's really artsy," she told the magazine at the time. "It wasn't in a skanky way. Annie took, like, a beautiful shot, and I thought that was really cool. That's what she wanted me to do, and you can't say no to Annie."

A handful of borderline racy snapshots of a girl who appeared to be Cyrus have appeared on the Internet in recent months, including images of a girl posing in her underwear and bikini last week.

Cyrus is one of the biggest — and most G-rated — acts in the country and is often considered a role model for young girls. Her "Best of Both Worlds" tour sold out arenas, and her successful 3-D concert film collected $31.3 million in its opening weekend in February.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Yeah, I was just about to come back here and post that apparently these are legit.

What's sort of funny is that the photos were taken by Leibovitz, who did all those YoaMD photos for Disney.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I did a little more reading from various sources, and Miley does seem to be acknowledging that it was her in those photos (the bare midriff and the undergarment exposure), and that she's very embarrassed by the whole thing.

And while it's not exactly the most wholesome situation, did she really do anything totally scandalous? Personally, I don't think so. The photos that I've seen are a far cry from being any more suggestive than, say, what we see many teenage girls wearing on the beach. They were presumably taken by someone Miley considered a friend in a non-public situation, and that "friend" decided to make them public. Some friend!

And the Vanity Fair photo was taken by one of the world's top photographers, Annie Liebowitz (sp?), and apparently shows little more than bare shoulders - - again, hardly scandalous. Perhaps her parents/grandmother/"handlers" who were present for the shoot should have nixed the idea. Only they can justify that decision.

Anyway.... the long and the short of it is, in my opinion, that the whole thing is being blown way out of proportion. The Vanity Fair photos, while of somewhat questionable taste given her young age, were made for professional purposes. The other two (in my mind, at least) simply depict a young teenager being exactly that - a young teenager.

As Ian said, heaven forbid that Miley turns into another Britney Spears/Paris Hilton/Lindsay Lohan! She seems to have much more class than to fall into that trap. Let's hope it stays that way.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Personally why anyone would want a photo like that & think its great is beyond me. I don't care how famous of a photographer is this just isn't right. She doesnt' look comfortable & relaxed doing it to me. Definitely not natural looking either. She looks like a child that was forced to take a picture that she was told by a respected adult that it would be a great shot.

I agree where was her father or another responsible adult? I'm sure she wasn't at this shoot alone. Shame on Vanity Fair for wanting it too. Its one thing for people over 18 but under 18 it shouldn't even be a thought.

The other ones that are around the internet wether they are legit or not. Those were something that most 15 year olds would hope woudn't really show up outside their friends. We've all had the pictures taken at a party that we regret later. Its typical 15 yo being a 15yo. No one would think anything of it if she wasn't a star. Well her parents might. Look at some of the stuff on myspace etc.

I thought she had a chance of beating the odds of these childhood star problems but sadly it doesn't look to be so.
    Just got back. Unless we win the lottery or some long lost rich relative leaves me a bunch of money we won't be back for 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1 View Post
    PS Congrats on adopting your twin Mulans!! I was excited to read that in your sig. I always remember seeing your princess and prince tag and then saw the twins.
    Thank you, talk about being blessed times 2! We've been one of the lucky few to experience children by birth and by adoption. Our older two are 12 months apart (nearly to the day) and that was hard, twins is easier than that no questions asked. (Of course, we missed out on the first four months and I imagine any twin mom could tell you that those first few months were sleepless and hard!) My poor husband, he just doesn't stand a chance with all the princess going on in our house!

Back on topic, though, the more I look into the more I get a bit sad about it all. Sad for Miley that she would so publicly make a mistake like this and have to publicly express her regret. With my girls reaching the age's where they really are noticing people in the media (in other words, moving past animation) I really had hoped that "Hannah Montana" was a safe way to direct them. Not saying she isn't, we all make mistakes.

It is something to keep an eye on. Do I shelter my girls? YOU BET! There is just too much out there not to.

DISNEY in SIX DAYS!!!!
    Wife of one Handsome Prince
    Mother to Ariel, Tinker Bell, and twin Mulans

Planning is half the fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's just me but I can't say I find them terribly scandulous. While I understand she's a role model for young kids (my 6 year old nephew is one of her biggest fans) she is 15, which in todays world isn't really a kid anymore. She's still young but 15 year olds are in high school and are starting to grow up. I know when I was 15 (I'm 21 now..) I ran around on the beach in a bikini and wore halter tops in the summer that exposed my whole back.

Again, I realize she has a lot of exposure to young kids but then maybe young kids should be watching shows aimed to young kids and not ones for young teens/adolescents. Personally I don't understand why the show which revolves around middle/high schoolers (correct me if i'm wrong) is targeted to kids as young as 6 and 7.

just my feelings on the matter..
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

It's sad...I hope she steers clear of the negative photos from now on and gets back on track. The Vanity Fair article underneath her pictures says, "level-headed enough to avoid being the next Britney or Lindsay" and I sure hope so, but it seemed a bit ironic that they'd put that headline under her semi-nude picture.

To me, it's not just the fact that she has a ton of young fans, but it's also that she's a pretty, 15 year old girl, and in today's world, there are some disgusting people out there. I wouldn't want my child being looked at in a magazine, and I can't figure out why on earth Miley's parents went along with this. The whole family usually makes better decisions than that.

Post Thanks / Like

There is something disturbing about these pictures. I just don't like this whole thing and I'm not a prude by any means. Even when I was 15, I had the judgement not to do certain things, this would have been one of them not to do. Now I'm thinking, great, what's next.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Miley Cyrus says Vanity Fair photo spread embarrasses her

Mon Apr 28, 3:40 AM EDT
    Miley Cyrus is taking issue with a photo of herself that's going around, and it's not another amateur, truth-or-dare Internet snapshot — it's the handiwork of Annie Leibovitz.....

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    OK so that was the exact same article I read after leaving that first post. That cleared it up a lot for me.
    Next Trip: 2008 (hoping and praying)
    POR-August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

although it's sad to see her trying to act grown up lets face it she is not a typical 15 year old. She makes millions a year, has a stylist, a manager and the list goes on and on. Yes, I am sure most parents of 15 year olds would not allow your precious little one look provocative but you don't have a manager and booking agent steering your life. It's sad but maybe she was advised to take the pictures, after all she cannot appeal to 6-7 year olds anymore she needs to appeal to tweens. She is growing up, yes too fast but maybe that is how it is when you have someone in your ear telling you to change your childish image or you won't have a career. Bad choice, yes, maybe. Hopefully not, I hope she grows into her teens respecfully and tactfully, we don't need another horrible role model. Hopefully the bad press she got from these photos will change things, here's to hoping!
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Something else, this is Disney we're talking about. Walt didn't even want Annette wearing a bikini for awhile! I know times are different, but it's kind of the last bastion of innocence that parents have been able to rely on. Me and my dh wouldn't stand there and let these kind of photos be taken of our kids, what were Billy and Trish thinking.

Post Thanks / Like

A 15-year old has the ability and the maturity to say 'no'. I haven't seen the photos, but I can't imagine anyone thinking that a shot of a teenage girl wrapped in a satin sheet would have anything but sexual connotations, 'arty' or not.

I'm not willing to go along with the same old excuse that all her handlers, etc. 'made' her do it. She can make the decision to go for the fame and fortune, no matter what it takes, or to maintain her own sense of decency and take responsibility for what she does.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: