Quantcast How long would it take?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default How long would it take?

This is our question we are posing for those who know. How long would it take to get from Daytona Beach FL to WDW Ft. Wilderness on a Monday in August if we left at 7 am? We will be staying on the beach in Daytona and we need to be at breakfast ressies at 10:30 and we need to check in to our resorts since we are on the dining plan. We do not need to get into the site and set up that morining we just need to check in. With rush hour and park opening we just need to know if 7 am is to late or should we leave earlier from Daytona Beach with time to spare? To get to Ft. Wilderness we can use the back enterance going though DTD and that way rather than go though main gate. I hope someone could help us with this question as for we need to know.
    Last edited by TheMartellFamily; 04-26-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: so it makes sense

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on traffic, it takes 90 min to 2 hours to get from Daytona to WDW. That should put you 9ish arriving. Maybe 9:30 if you really hit a rush hour snarl, but that still should give you time to check in and get to your ADR as long as you're not going to set up camp immediately.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's way over there?

One thing to remember (having made that mistake myself) is that WDW is on the opposite side of Orlando from Daytona. It's easy to assume that once you get into Orlando that you're, 'just about there', then get stuck in traffic going through town. You have to drive all the way through the city to get to the gates.

Have fun--leaving tonight myself!!!
    "It's a girl! A girl? In the castle? She's the one...the one we have been waiting for!"

'74 Int'l Drive
    '83 FW
    '86 LBV
    '92 Offsite @ Christmas (never again!)
    '01 One day! :(
    '03 POFQ with my 2 DDs
    '08 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Space Mountain Man View Post
    One thing to remember (having made that mistake myself) is that WDW is on the opposite side of Orlando from Daytona. It's easy to assume that once you get into Orlando that you're, 'just about there', then get stuck in traffic going through town. You have to drive all the way through the city to get to the gates.

Have fun--leaving tonight myself!!!
    Precisely why I always recommend to folks that they get off I-4 at Exit 101B, which is SR 417, the Florida Greeneway. Yes, it's a toll road, but the toll is a small price to pay for your sanity, especially if you are pulling a trailer! I-4 through downtown Orlando is an absolute nightmare on weekdays during the morning and evening rush hours, and you are going to be on the worst side of the highway at that hour of the morning. Lots of folks who live out nearer the coast work in Orlando, so westbound traffic is always a major headache in the mornings.

I did a quick check for what your tolls would be if you got on SR417 at I-4 and got off at Exit 6 (International Drive exit - stay straight on that exit road and it becomes SR 536, also known as Epcot Center Drive,leading right into WDW. After passing under the WDW welcome archway take the first exit road, which is Bonnet Creek Parkway; at the T-intersection turn left onto Vista Blvd. and you're at Fort Wilderness! This keeps you away from the MK 'toll booth' route).

I don't know what size your trailer is, but tolls are based on how many axles you have:
    • Just a 2-axle vehicle = $5.00
    • Vehicle plus a one-axle trailer = $9.50
    • Vehicle plus a two-axle trailer = $13.00
    • Vehicle plus a three axle trailer = $17.00

I would still allow a minimum of two hours.

I think you'd have to agree that's a small investment to avoid the aggravation and stress of a rush-hour drive through central Orlando.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Though we have never taken the toll rd that TiggTigg5 recommends, it may be the best bet. If you leave Daytona at 7:00 AM, that will put you in Orlando at rush hour. Orlando is tricky at best with trafic. It can jam up at just about any time of day. We usually have good success with this, but we have been caught for an hour or so at an unseemly time for a traffic jam. You will want to either go the other route (toll) or leave a little earlier. Good luck and Have Fun!!!
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site