Quantcast Mall of America

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Mall of America

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mall of America

This year is our third attempt to a long weekend at the Mall of America. Two years in a row trips have had to be canceled. The first year everyone backed out because of outside financial obligations and last year my sister had to have her gall bladder removed five days before the trip. Anyway we are going mid May and will be there for three days. I would like to leave the Mall area for a few hours and do something in the city. Any suggestions (besides shopping) that is a short distance from the mall, easy to get to, in a good neighborhood and interesting?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

the mn zoo can be fun - they have indoor and outdoor trails, and there is a dolphin show and monorail experience (about $15 for an adult to do everything there). it's about a 15 minute drive from the mall.

the science museum is also fun (about $14 for adults to do everything there). they have an omni theater and loads of exhibits. the museum is located in downtown st. paul, which is about 20 minutes away and has some really pretty parks. just up the hill on summit avenue is the largest stretch of victorian mansions in the country. very beautiful to drive by (or take a walk).

the mn history museum is also downtown, and it's free. they have a couple of cool exhibits there with relatively high production value for a free museum.

another free thing to do is como park. it's also in st. paul, though not down town. maybe 25 minutes from the mall. there are picnic areas, a lake with paddle boats and music and ice cream at the pavillion, a free zoo, a beautiful conservatory that costs just $1, and a few other things.

also, the twin city grill is my favorite restaurant in the mall. they have a nice pecan-crusted walleye - walleye is a mn specialty. rest of the menu is good, too, and it's nice and quiet in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips. I love museums. Out of the history and the science which one would you recommend?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of mode of transportation will you have?

There is a big IKEA store right next to the mall (MOA).

There is a indoor waterpark and hotel not far from MOA.

There is a light rail system, which is really reasonable in price, that runs right from MOA all the way to downtown Minneapolis. It has several stops along the way including the airport and Fort Snelling National Cemetary, and the Metrodome where the Minnesota Twins play. I believe it takes about 30-40 minutes to get from MOA to the Metrodome on the light rail.

The science museum in St. Paul is nice but you would have to drive there.

The Minnesota Zoo and the Como Park Zoo/Park/Conservatory are both nice. Como Park is free.

Most of everything in the Twin Cities area isn't to far apart and is easy to get to. With-in 20-40 minutes easily except for during heavy traffic times.
    June, 1990 - MK, Epcot -Off Site Hotel - Sang on stage & Marched in parade at MK
    Feb. '05 - DL, DCA - Off Site Hotel
    Feb. '07 - All Parks, DT - AKL
    May '08 - All Parks, DT - AKL & POP - 4 day Disney Cruise
    Jan. '13 DL, DCA, DT -Off Site Hotel
    Nov. '13 All Parks, DT - POP & Swan

Post Thanks / Like

The MN science museum is awesome. I would recommend that over the history museum.
    July 06: Coronado Springs (Honeymoon)
    Sept 07: POP Century
    Feb 09: Port Orleans Riverside
    Dec 09: Caribbean Beach
    Jan 11: Coronado Springs

I blame this obsession on my wife...

Post Thanks / Like

between the science museum and the history museum...it depends on the travellers. the science museum is popular with kids but also has some interesting things for adults. exhibits include dinosaurs, a physics and weather lab, the human body, a minnesota nature exhibit, and a travelling exhibit that changes all the time. overall, the presentation of the museum's exhibits is largely geared for kids - lots of hands-on stuff. however, the information itself is more for adults. the omni theater is fantastic, and the views from some of the decks are nice. the museum is on the mississippi. it also has a fairly decent food court and is about three times the size of the history museum.

the history museum is a lot more laid back. you could do it in 90 minutes, probably. there is a small kid section, but it has the air of being added as an afterthought. the tone at the history museum is decidedly more grown up, and it focuses mainly on mn history but in an interesting way. for example, there is a large exhibit on mn music, and a portion of it is about a famous music venue, so it is decorated like a 1950s ballroom, with booths and a light show. there is also an interactive slide show that takes place in a theater with moving sets and surprise elements. nothing huge, but very well done.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the info everyone
    We won't have a car so will either be taking a cab or the light rail. I'm going to get together with everyone and let them know our options so we can decide what to do.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

i would go with the science museum since you will not have a car. you can take a metro transit bus from moa to downtown st paul. they leave about every 15 min and it is about a 25 min ride to downtown st paul.
    jen

Post Thanks / Like

You may need to rent a car for some of these things as for they are located far from the mall. The Mall is located basically across from the airport and alot of things are downtown Minneapolis or St.Paul which is some what of a drive the mall. You would have to map things out to see.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: