Quantcast Cast Members Going Downhill? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Luckily, we haven't run into any "bad" CM's during our visits. However, as some unbelievable threads have pointed out, the behavior of guests continues to sink to new lows.

And we have seen some real winners that would make me a very unhappy CM!!
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably going to be flamed for this one, but the WDW CMs, even the grouchy ones, are considerably better than the CMs at DLR. On our last trip to WDW, we had one CM (a waitress) who was problematic. But on our last trip to DLR, I think we only encountered one CM who was actually happily doing her job. Everyone else was busy having personal conversations, using their cell phones, ignoring guests, etc.
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sainter View Post
    I know that there are those here who know for sure, but I am pretty sure that the airline check in people are not Disney employees. They are employed by the airline itself.
    1) The airline check-in (resort-to-airport) folks are employed by BAGS, Inc.
    2) The company is the largest provider of skycap services.
    3) They do this same service in many cities and many hotels.
    4) They are independent of airlines, Disney and DME.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not recall any bad CM's, but I have noticed that more and more CM's lack knowledge of the park, attractions, where to buy items, etc.
    For example, when the Virtual Magic Kingdom store opened up, may CM's knew nothing about the store, or that there was an online virtual MK.
    A nice history lesson on WDW would be a nice touch for CM's.
    For the most part, CM's do a very good job and are usually very accommodating. Rarely will I ask a question and have the the CM not know it, or fail to find someone that knows the answer.
    It is still the best Customer Service in the biz.
    DigitalDaredevil
    VMK: EpcotRay

Post Thanks / Like

We've had a couple of bad experiences. One was at the TTC. We wanted to ride in the front of the monorail and walked over to the bench to wait (there were no other guests there yet). A cast member came over and proceeded to chew us out for not asking (we also had our 2 kids with us). I was flabbergasted to say the least All he had to do was just tell us that the policy is to ask, not treat all of us like naughty children! The other cast member was at Primevil Whirl when we went back with our baby swap ticket and fast pass and she would not let us back on. I explained to her the process and she refused. I have been using the child swap for years and know how it is used. I asked for the manager and she also refused. I went to customer relations and confirmed with them that they were wrong! I don't know if they did anything with them (hopefully educated them how to actually use the child swap system) but wouldn't you think that the people working there would know how the child swap worked

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaredevil View Post
    A nice history lesson on WDW would be a nice touch for CM's.
    For the most part, CM's do a very good job and are usually very accommodating. Rarely will I ask a question and have the the CM not know it, or fail to find someone that knows the answer.
    It is still the best Customer Service in the biz.
    The thing is that we are given a history of the company. A pretty good amount of info. And each CM has a walking tour of their location when they are hired. So MK CM's have to tour the entire park, even if they are working BOH or in Main Street USA.

The problem is that most CM's don't have a strong passion for the company, like some of us do. I will say I am one of the more....obsessive CM's at work. And for that reason, a lot of my collegues will come find me because there is a 80% that if they don't know it, I will. I don't know everything by any means and everyday I learn something new, but I know a great deal more than most of the people I work with, including my leaders.

What I am trying to say is that if they are just there because they need money, they won't put the effort to learn more about the company or its history, the park's layout and services, how to get from one park to the next, the basic layout of the parks. Not all CM's go the step to memorize the codes for each resort so that when you show me your room key, I can ask you how your stay at that resort is going (because that code at the bottom does have a purpose - but don't worry, it's never going to have your room number on it).

But I think that yes, Disney is still quite a few notches above the rest of the theme parks based on my experiences as well as those who I go to school with.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only had a couple. In 96 my sister and I weren't allowed into PI and the lady checking IDs shoved her into the pole and she had a huge bruise on her leg the next day. We both had valid IDs but she said we looked like we were only 14.

On our last trip we had a couple of problems with the staff at CBR. At the concierge desk and at the food court. Extremely rude!
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to defend the CMs on this one. I was in the park everyday this past week. Couple things you have to remeber 1) The park opened at 7am on Monday and Friday and 8 am the rest of the week, and was staying open until 1 am or 3 am when there were extra magic hours. 2) This past week was one of the busiest weeks of the year (hence the long hours). All the cast members I talked to were working 10 hour shifts, so knowing that, I completely understood if they were a little less than cheery.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    I'm going to defend the CMs on this one. I was in the park everyday this past week. Couple things you have to remeber 1) The park opened at 7am on Monday and Friday and 8 am the rest of the week, and was staying open until 1 am or 3 am when there were extra magic hours. 2) This past week was one of the busiest weeks of the year (hence the long hours). All the cast members I talked to were working 10 hour shifts, so knowing that, I completely understood if they were a little less than cheery.
    I don't and won't defend them. I'm one of those CM's working long days, not to mention I actually go to college full time - I'm taking 7 upper-level classes at 18 credits. I go straight to work and stay there until 2-3am after having been in classes since 7am.

When I go to work, I'm about to pass out and backstage, I'm usually leaning on the front desk, catching a cat nap. When I go onstage, it's like I've been sleeping for 1000 years. It might be forced, and if you look long enough, you might notice it, but I try my hardest to be nice.

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Our family has been to Disney many, many times and Disney is by far the best customer experience that we have encountered. Yes, I can think of a few times when there has been the rare CM that was a little less than "magical," but that has been few and far between. I can think of many, many more times when I have been to my local McDonalds, Wal-Mart, etc. and had horrible customer service.

This past February I had an extreme situation that a very kind Haunted Mansion CM helped me with. She really went above and beyond what I would have expected anyone to do in order to help me. I was very grateful. When I got home, I sent in an e-mail through the WDW website. I explained who she was and what she did to help me in hopes that she would get some sort of "credit" for what she did. A few weeks later, I received a phone call from WDW and they wanted to tell me thank you for sending in the e-mail and assured me that her superiors would be notified of her actions.

I really can't say enough good things regarding the excellent customer service that I have experienced at WDW.
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

Default CM's

The first time I went to Disneyland was August of 1955 and have been hundred's of times since then. I will admit that the level of customer service has gone down over the years, but it is still way above anywhere else my wife and I have been. 95% of all CM's that we have had contact with have been nothing but professional and "Disney" like in every way. This is one of the many reason why we will go to Disneyland rather than any where else. You will run into a CM from time to time that does not have the Disney spirit but you just need to ignore them then report them to town hall if they have been really rude.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to WDW several times over the years and I don't recall a particularly rude CM. Guests, yes, but not CMs.

I'm sure that CMs deal with A LOT of rude guests and it's amazing how well they deal with them. For example, ten years ago, my family (Me, DH, Mom, Dad, DS and BIL) were staying at WL. The resort wouldn't check us in until the entire party had arrived (I understand that's how the system worked back then). Unfortunately, my mother can turn rude and downright nasty when she's not happy about something, and this was no exception. She's got issues - but don't tell her that. An hour after they arrived, DH and I arrived and I had my mother sit down in the lobby so that I could handle it. The CMs were pleasant (although a little wary of me, given my Mom's attitude) and we got everything resolved, since we were the last to arrive. We were staying one fewer day than the rest of the party and WDW didn't know which of us it was. That is why they weren't checked in, and I don't think that was explained to my Mom. Maybe that would have helped diffuse the situation, but we'll never know.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Back in Oct. 07 on a solo / conference trip, I received a stern lecture from an irate bus driver. The empty bus arrived for pick up at CSR - I don't remember which park it was going to. There was a group of about 5 or 6 people getting on at the front door. As I was approaching from the rear end of the bus I just stepped on at the open side door. The driver went nuts! He read me the riot act about how no one was supposed to get on at the side door, policy clearly states, etc, etc. Now I admit that once on the bus I saw the sign that said please don't enter, and I apologized to him as well as the other folks on the bus, but he just kept going on and on to the point where we were all trying desperately not to laugh!

Now on the other hand, the next day another driver and I had a great conversation all the way to the park, and he even let me off closer to the entrance than the regular stop, so I guess it all balances out in the end.
    Previous trips:

Nov 2000, Oct 2002 - WL
    Dec 2002 - CSR (conf.)
    Feb 2004 - AKL
    Feb 2005, Jan 2007 - POR
    Oct 2007 - CSR (conf.)
    Oct 2008 - POP (pre-conf. visit)
    Oct 2009 - BV Suites (conf.)
    Oct 2010 - POR
    Nov 2010 - BV Suites (conf.)
    June 2012 - POR

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I have rarely run into CM's who were indifferent, but I've never had an encounter with a rude CM. Thank goodness.
    I wonder if sometimes a CM might feel unappreciated (I can totally relate as a teacher) so I always make sure to say thank you to bus drivers, etc. and take the time to share a smile or short, friendly comment to other CM's. Feeling unappreciated isn't an excuse for rudeness though.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

As Management in a 800 person call center, I can tell you that it is very difficult to consistantly find good customer service skilled people. So many problems and negative feelings can be stopped with just a bit of polite behavior.

Sometimes there are only so many decent employees in an area. It can be hard to find the right type of person for the right type of job. I could do 10 interviews and hire 1 person in a day. I am responsible for morale building, events, parties, contests, games and celebrations, and I am very involved in the day to day activities of my agents, and I see the good customer service reps get pounded and burned out by abusive customers, and I have seen the nicest customers get abused by uncaring customer service agents, as well.

Unfortunately, people in the customer service industry and even Customers are not as nice.

In my opinion, *everyone* (customer service and customers, in general, not specific people!) are just a bit ruder today...sad, hm?
    1980 Golf Resort(Was Disney Inn, now Shades of Green)
    1986 Contemporary
    1992 Swan
    1999 POFQ
    2003 (10/13-21) AKL Platinum Honeymoon (Grand Marshals - HS)
    2008 (10/7-15) Poly Platinum 5th Anniversary!
    2013 (10/6-13) Poly Platinum 10th Anniversary!
    2013 (10/13-17) Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Disney is still WAY above average in the service industry but, unfortunately, the service industry overall is WAY down. The younger generations (and this is a big generality, I know, but a true one and I'm say this as a GenXer) have lost common manners, work ethic, and respect for others. Where previous generations felt they were defined by their work and thus put every ounce of their being into that work, today's younger generations work simply to make a paycheck. It used to be live to work, now it's work to live. So, yes, CM's are of lower quality than they used to be, but when you compare Disney or Chick-Fil-A to places like McDonalds or Six Flags, Disney is still far superior in customer service.
    Well said. I agree with this totally.

I was going to post and agree with the OP, but I like the way you put this. I think it sums it up very nicely, so I have nothing to add really.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rude CMs

We, too, ran into a couple rude CMs on our last trip. I was shocked, to say the least. I tried to remember that CMs are no different than anyone else; they have good days and bad days. But, then I'd think, "hey, I spent 8 grand to be here for a week and I want to be treated in the Disney fashion I remember from trips when I was a kid." That being said, however, the GREAT CMs far, far outnumber the few "duds" we've run into. And somebody mentioned training earlier. I, too, have heard the Disney has cut WAY back on CM training. I don't know for certain it's true, but I read it somewhere. If it's true, then shame on them.
    July, 1973 - Polynesian
    July, 1976 - Polynesian
    July, 1978 - Polynesian
    October, 1982 - Hotel Royal Plaza (Honeymoon)
    November, 1999 - offsite (timeshare)
    June, 2003 - offsite (timeshare)
    June, 2006 - Coronado Springs Resort
    November, 2008 - Coronado Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Since my wife & I went to WDW for the first time in 1985 we have seen a slow but definite decline in the quality of the CMs.
    I understand all the commonly given reasons, but to be honest, I DON'T CARE.
    All of us have bad days, are mad because we didn't get a raise or promotion, feel we are the only ones in our group working hard, have issues at home,etc. But, as long as you are still accepting a paycheck you have the obligation to represent your employer in the manner they expect.
    Yes customers can be demanding, they can be rude or even demeaning; but that still doesn't excuse poor behavior or being rude to someone because you are still angry at the person you dealt with an hour ago.
    And it certainly doesn't give any organization the excuse to put people in customer contact positions without proper training.

Ok...rant over.
    I am now returning to planning for our trip in June.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubbyofadisneyholic View Post
    Since my wife & I went to WDW for the first time in 1985 we have seen a slow but definite decline in the quality of the CMs.
    I understand all the commonly given reasons, but to be honest, I DON'T CARE.
    All of us have bad days, are mad because we didn't get a raise or promotion, feel we are the only ones in our group working hard, have issues at home,etc. But, as long as you are still accepting a paycheck you have the obligation to represent your employer in the manner they expect.
    Yes customers can be demanding, they can be rude or even demeaning; but that still doesn't excuse poor behavior or being rude to someone because you are still angry at the person you dealt with an hour ago.
    And it certainly doesn't give any organization the excuse to put people in customer contact positions without proper training.

Ok...rant over.
    I am now returning to planning for our trip in June.
    I totaly agree. With the amount of money you pay, even for a Value Resort and base ticket (its over $70 for one person just to be there for a day), there is NO EXCUSE for CMs to be rude. We report all rude experiences now. It is still just a few CMs who can ruin your day, but one is all it takes in the right situation.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey91 View Post
    I totaly agree. With the amount of money you pay, even for a Value Resort and base ticket (its over $70 for one person just to be there for a day), there is NO EXCUSE for CMs to be rude. We report all rude experiences now. It is still just a few CMs who can ruin your day, but one is all it takes in the right situation.
    yeah....the problem is that the money you pay doesn't go to the employee.....

disney is basically bobbing near minimum wage....their maximum wages are ridiculously low.....no union raises are ever passed because florida basically won't allow a union with teeth.....

so while working for disney does make many employees try harder and excel.....it cannot be reasonably expected to do if for everyone

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: