Quantcast Paper Drinking Straws?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paper Drinking Straws?

I am almost certain I have a memory of being at the Magic Kingdom when I was a child and getting a paper drinking straw as opposed to a plastic straw. Did the MK have paper drinking straws at one time, and if so, does anyone know when they stopped using them?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they certainly did, but I can't remember when they were discontinued.

Good news, though: you can now find the paper straws at Animal Kingdom (they used to not allow straws at all).

Personally, I can't stand the things.
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Post Thanks / Like

I was just going to post the same thing, paper straws at animal kingdon and animal kingdom lodge!
    Tracy ºOº

1995 Grand Floridian for honeymoon
    2004 Polynesian LVC (three kids later)
    2005 Beach Club
    2006 Polynesian, Tonga!!
    2008 Polynesian
    figured out the secret...
    2008 DVC member AKV

2009 Saratoga Springs/ Boardwalk Villa
    2009 VWL/ AKV... 2 trips in 1 year..love my DVC!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I do not like buying drinks at Animal Kingdom. I understand the no lids no straws policy, but just don't like it. Drinks to easy for my son to spill or for stuff to get into drink.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't stand the new biodegradeable straws at AK. I still drink without a straw there. While the new straws are animal friendly, I feel like they are going to dissolve right in my mouth. I just don't like them.
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

yes, they definitely used to have paper straws, i remember them from visits in the 70s. it goes along with memories of the powder soap they used to have in the restrooms.
    if youve ever been to the restaurant chain ted's montana grill, they have both paper straws and powder soap, and it always reminds me of childhood
    last trip AKL may '06
    first trip 1973

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mac badger View Post
    yes, they definitely used to have paper straws, i remember them from visits in the 70s. it goes along with memories of the powder soap they used to have in the restrooms.
    if youve ever been to the restaurant chain ted's montana grill, they have both paper straws and powder soap, and it always reminds me of childhood
    Ewwww...powdered soap...I remember that from the early Disney days. I didn't like that either. I didn't like the feel or the smell.
    Tara °O°

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Von-Drake View Post
    I do not like buying drinks at Animal Kingdom. I understand the no lids no straws policy, but just don't like it. Drinks to easy for my son to spill or for stuff to get into drink.
    Last time at AK I walked under a walkway and thought something dropped in my drink...maybe my imagination, but I still had to throw it away. That's one reason I prefer lids, but I'm ok with it at that park, as I know it's better for the animals. I try to buy the drinks in bottles at the little stands when I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McGoofy View Post
    I can't stand the new biodegradeable straws at AK. I still drink without a straw there. While the new straws are animal friendly, I feel like they are going to dissolve right in my mouth. I just don't like them.
    I hate that feeling...its like rubbing wet paper on your lips...gives me the chills and it kinda makes the soda taste like a roll of paper towels
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    I hate that feeling...its like rubbing wet paper on your lips...gives me the chills and it kinda makes the soda taste like a roll of paper towels
    You got that right!! That is the exact feeling that I was trying to describe. You nailed it!
    Tara °O°

Next Up:

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's interesting that people have developed such strong feelings over something as insignificant as a straw.
    12 trips to the World... next one: 10/29/12 for our Fairy Tale Wedding!

Post Thanks / Like

Once upon a time in a land far, far away...

All straws were paper!

I think the serious conversion occurred in the 80s throughout the land. I distinctly recall using paper straws through the early 80s, although many restaurants had converted.

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mac badger View Post
    Thanks for the memories! I hadn't thought of the paper straws or powdered soap in a long time! That seems like a long.... time ago.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with the old paper straws is that they would collapse in your mouth after they got wet. Made drinking very difficult. I found the new ones in Animal Kingdom to be much sturdier.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: