Quantcast DVC removing coffee mugs and glasses from studios - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting reports that seem to confirm this story as true. The really annoying thing is that studios have sinks and used to have washing up liquid so folks could wash cups/glasses themselves even before they used them if any doubt about their cleanliness. I know I have had to wash stuff in one bedrooms before now.

It seems to me that with the facilities DVC has they should be the last place that implements this change - we can wash up. I am afraid that I think that anyone who uses DVC studios should be letting DVC know what they think - starting with the email or contact form via the DVC website. This just isn't acceptable!

Does anyone know if this is a Disney wide issue - ie are they removing coffee cups and glasses from all hotel rooms? If not why not and if they are why remove them from where you can actually clean them properly yourselves?
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DVC removing coffee mugs and glasses from studios

This is unfortunate. I will send an email too. Bad for the enviorment, bad esthetically and not what was part of the deal. Syrofoam is NOT delux accomdations. I protest!

Post Thanks / Like

I just read Deb Wills newsletter, and she's pretty reliable.

She confirms that DVC studios will swith to "disposable" cups in lieu of glasses and ceramic mugs.

Time to start those emails...
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    She confirms that DVC studios will swith to "disposable" cups in lieu of glasses and ceramic mugs.
    And... she had it in the "NEWS" section- not the rumor section.

I recommend you send your emails both through the "Contact Us" link on the DVC member website AND to your sales rep. let them know how you feel.

DH and I choose studios more often now that we travel without the kids more than with them. Choosing a studio means we can make more trips on our available points- and spend more money in WDW! I don't like being given Motel 6 "amenities" for all the cash we have handed over to Disney.

I guess I could choose a 1 bedroom villa instead, and just go less often. I wonder if that's what they hope to get out of this change?
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

I really didn't think that a studio unit, or any unit, in a delux resort like SSR or any DVC resort should have anything less than ceramic cups and glasses. While it bothers me that they'll be taking them away I'm not at all surprised. I'll just bring my own reuseable cups and glasses. Hopefuly the "disposable cups & glasses" they provide will be eco-friendly solo type waxed cups and glasses, after all they have returned to paper straws in a lot of locations in the parks. This is something we might just need to watch in the long run.
    Maybe they'll save enough money to replace the frayed, worn and dirty carpet in the last unit I had at SSR and even clean the bathroom before I get into the room...but that's another story.
    Bill
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

AKL, Jambo, September 18 to October 2, 2012

Natazu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Wanna bet it will be something along lines of

"After talking to several members and taking their concerns into account we have decided to remove the glasses and mugs based on their advise"
    I wonder if that's the same people that complained about the dining plan having too much food so now I have to pay for my appetizers.

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading another board and folks were saying how Disney was being "cheap" and how this was a way to save money. I think this is just the opposite. Supplying the studios with these disposable cups is going to cost more than washing mugs/glasses. Also, with Disney wanting to be more "enviromentally friendly" this is a huge step backwards. There was just an article in our last DVC magazine ("Disney FIles") about a nature conservatory that Disney has partnered with. I do not think that this move supports Disney's "green" inititive.

The only thing this might prevent is the spread of illness. With all of the press recently about hotel chains not properly sanitizing glassware I would think this change is a response to that. These stories obviously stuck in my head as I have to admit that when we stayed at AKV last month I washed all of our glasses/mugs by hand real quick before I used them.

I have also read that they are no longer supplying dishsoap in the studios. Since there IS a kitchenette there should be a way to wash items such as the styrofoam cups, baby bottles, mugs brought from home, etc.

Guess we will just have to buy a Mickey mug in the giftshop. Maybe this is just Disney's way to make us all have a HUGE Disney mug collection.
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

While I sympathize with you who oppose this move, let me share with you my thoughts on why they made the change. As other posters have noted, there have been some articles about unclean glasses, airborne diseases, etc. I know several people who refuse to use glasses that other people (especially those they don't know) have used. Having worked in the insurance industry for the past 25 years, I know there are people who will sue for absolutely anything. They were probably told by their legal staff to make the change.

And I don't mean to be calous about this, but this does appear to be a minor issue to me. If you want to drink from a glass/cup, bring your own from home. On a scale of 1 to 10 of the seriousness of the problem, this is at best a 1, but that is only my opinion only. Others may take it more seriously. Mark
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Mark I take your point but that is exactly why I don't understand them making the change at DVC rather than the other hotels. At DVC you have the equipment and opportunity to wash stuff yourself. As to bringing stuff yourself for some of us that isn't easy with flight weight limitations and liquid bans etc but this is supposed to be a home away from home. At home I wash up - why shouldn't I be able to at Disney (except they have now removed the washing up liquid)
    Mikki

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Justification

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    And this is exactly what Disney is going to use to Justify the Cutback. Saying DVC members were concerned about what happened at the Contemporary so we decided to eliminate the problem at DVC. And of course throw in the line to giveour Members the best possible service and a worry free stay
    If that were the case they would eliminate them at all DVC resorts in ALL categories of rooms. I think it's just another case of DVC management saying "Let's try it and see if we get away with it."
    Anything given up by the membership without a fight will most likely never be seen again.
    Last edited by ytzking; 03-12-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: omission
    Thanks,
    John

May 90 Swan
    May 91 O/P
    Oct 94 POFQ
    May 95 ASM
    May 96 AS Sp
    May 99 CSR
    Sept 99 BWV
    Oct 00 BWV
    Aug 01 DL/GC
    Oct 02 BWV
    Aug 04 BWV
    Aug 06 BWV
    Aug 07 - Grosv / BWV
    Aug 08 - WL/BWV/Dolphin
    Jan 09 - OKW / DCL / Wonder
    Jul 09 - CR / BWV / WL

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Looks to me like it is simply a knee-jerk reaction to some adverse publicity without thinking about the long-term consequences, the environmental impact, and the negative publicity such as this thread and dozens more like it on other sites.

With us being "locals", we most often rent studios because (1) it's just the two of us; (2) we try to use the least number of points per "weekend getaway" so that we can have MORE of those getaways per year; (3) which, in return, means that we are spending many more $$$ per year at WDW on food, entertainment, etc. than we would if we splurged for larger accommodations fewer times per year.

We presently have purchased a total of 400 points at no small price. We expect to get some perks and luxuries in return for our initial purchase price and our ever-increasing dues. Yes, perhaps the loss of ceramic mugs and glass drinking cups is a relatively-small issue in the grand scheme of things. Similarly, the increases in the "Pay as you Play" housekeeping fees is not an earth-shattering matter. But put these things (and others that I haven't listed) together, and you'll see that there's a gradual erosion of the things that we were all told we'd get as members. And the more the members let them get away with, the more perks and services we're going to lose. I shudder to think what's next: perhaps bring-your-own pillows because germs can be spread that way? No soaps or shampoos because someone might be allergic to them or super-sensitive to the smell of them? (I know.... I'm using some farfetched examples. Or am I??)

There's the old saying about the squeaky wheel getting the grease. I personally feel that we members need to make that squeak heard at the highest levels.

As for myself, I fully intend to trash every disposable cup in my future stays after exactly one use, even if it's a little sip of water, and drive the front desk and housekeeping folks nuts (even though this certainly is not their fault) demanding immediate replenishment of our supply. And demanding a fresh coffee carafe between every pot we brew (we drink a LOT of coffee, and bring our own grounds) because they no longer supply dishwashing lotion.

I'm composing an e-mail right now that will be going to everybody from Bob Iger down to my sales rep.

Probably won't have any effect, but I'll sure get some satisfaction out of it.

And if that fails, there's always the old faithful Orlando Sentinel who drool at the idea of publishing any negative publicity about Disney.

Unhappy? You bet I am.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ytzking View Post
    If that were the case they would eliminate them at all DVC resorts in ALL categories of rooms.
    They couldn't eliminate them from accomadations with kitchens what would you do have to go out and buy paper plates to use the kitchens and what about pots and pans.

Anyone who knows the Disney Comapny well know they make small cutbacks to equate to big $$$ hoping most guests won't know the difference all the new DVC members and current members who never stayed in a studio after the change will never know the difference and accept the change since they never knew it was changed. This is what Disney is hoping for. There are plenty examples of them doing this over the years. We can take a look at MHSSHP and MVMCP as an example. They raised the price of the party and cut out the free pictures that use to be part of it and now offer a discount on purchasing the photos through Photopass. Regular party goers complained but the new party goers didn't since they never knew the free pictures existed and were thrilled to get a 20% discount. Disney looked at the positive responses about the discounts and saw attendance rise at the parties as well as profits they totally ignored the frequent visitors.

As for you germaphobes I wouldn't worry too much about the glasses as far as germs and bacteria go the most bacteria can be found on the TV remote this is true in every hotel and even your home. I know for a fact Disney doesn't clean the remotes at all. What's next removing the remote for the TVs. Of course not and the reason being removing the remote doesn't save them a penny and even the casual guest will notice and complain about no remote for the TV. And think about the phone you use in the room that is never cleaned either maybe a quick wipe down on the outside to remove some dust. This is about profit margins period.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Wow!

I have only been to WDW once and will hopefully go again in Oct. I will have to stay at a value resort this trip. I have been looking forward to a time when I can purchase a DVC membership and stay at a nicer resort with a few perks, but if a studio at DVC isn't going to be much better then a room at a value resort why should I pay the extra money?
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cups and Mugs

I got a response from DVC. They said that based on the nature of my complaint, it would be forwarded the " Member Satisfaction Team" and they would respond to me.
    Details at eleven.
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
    I have been looking forward to a time when I can purchase a DVC membership and stay at a nicer resort with a few perks, but if a studio at DVC isn't going to be much better then a room at a value resort why should I pay the extra money?
    Bingo!

My point exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by pox24 View Post
    I got a response from DVC. They said that based on the nature of my complaint, it would be forwarded the " Member Satisfaction Team" and they would respond to me.
    Details at eleven.
    Word to the wise:
    Whatever you do, do NOT hold your breath waiting for a response.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pox24 View Post
    Details at eleven.
    I got the exact same response.
    I know from our sales rep that they are having a Round Table today. Not sure who's involved. Maybe it's just to inform the sales team of this new reduction in services.

I will wait for my response (breathing comfortably while waiting, Ed ) from the Member Satisfaction Team. Then I will most likely write another letter to Jim Lewis (DVC President) and Bob Iger.
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Undoubtedly an automated response. Chances are excellent no live human read the e-mails and sent that response.

Cynical so-and-so, ain't I?

Keep breathing, Linda.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendy*darling View Post
    I got the exact same response.
    I know from our sales rep that they are having a Round Table today. Not sure who's involved. Maybe it's just to inform the sales team of this new reduction in services.

I will wait for my response (breathing comfortably while waiting, Ed ) from the Member Satisfaction Team. Then I will most likely write another letter to Jim Lewis (DVC President) and Bob Iger.
    If you do write to them, please post their addresses for the rest of us to follow suit. Thanks.

I also sent a "strongly worded" email to DVC.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I actually had to call Member Services and they claim to know nothing about it I actually asked if I would need my own Dish Detergent so I could plan ahead. And then talked with Quality Assurance and the woman I spoke to said wow that would be below our Disney Standards I hope it's not true. So let's hope it's still just a rumour.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Here are Jim's details for those who want them (I haven't actually used these but they were from a business directory for the Orlando area):

Mr. James M. Lewis
    Disney Vacation Club
    200 Celebration Place, 2nd Floor, Suite 210
    Celebration, FL 34747
    Email: [email protected]
    Mikki

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: