Quantcast DVC removing coffee mugs and glasses from studios

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation DVC removing coffee mugs and glasses from studios

It seems DVC has made a change for the worse this week in studios by removing ceramic coffee mugs and glasses, just leaving styrofoam cups.

If this is true (and I've seen reports in several places so am afraid it may be) what do you think? I hate the idea as I like to drink coffee out of a proper cup and wine out of some kind of glass - and at least I can wash them up afterwards.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like this at all... if it is true but could it be maybe they are replacing them and this is just a temporary thing?? That would be my guess.

¤´¨)
    ¸·´ ¸·*´¨) ¸·*¨)
    (¸·´ (¸·` ¤ Erin
    º0º
    "Por favor mentangese alajado de los puertas"

MOVED to Florida June 2008... and loving it!!!
    January 2010 AKL-Villas
    AP Holder since Jan '06
    DVC Member since May '06

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely "they were listening to members again" however this is not a problem for us as I've seen a investigative tv show they way some maids clean cups and glasses. We always use our refillable cups for tea and coffee.

Post Thanks / Like

the impact to the enviornment is another reason to address this. Styrofoam single use cups are some of the worst things to add to landfill as they take a very long time to degrade. (And I mean an incredible amount of time)
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say as a recent DVC Purchaser I am not very happy with the way service seems to be going. I heard great things about the customer and this was one of the reasons I decided to buy in. I enjoyed having the mug for my morning coffee and the glasses if I needed or wanted one. What's next take away the fridge or microwave from the studios. This downward spiral in service and amenities at WDW really has me concerned.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Why would they do this? Is it a matter of stealing? Has anyone spoken to member services? This is silly. I sure hope it isn't true either.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Not a good move in my opinion either.
    Styrofoam is definitely the wrong choice as a substitute- what ever happened to the "Environmentality" campaign they promoted?

I didn't even like the paper plates and plastic utensils and did not understand why the guests who preferred studios were not "worthy" of the amenities of the 1 and 2 bedroom guests.
    Taking away the glasses and mugs to create more trash is a bad decision.

(edited to add: I just sent DVC an email about this rumor. If I get a response, I'll let everyone know.)
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Natazu Guest

One of the first things they tell you when you meet with sales is that as a member, you always get to stay in Deluxe Accommodations. One of the perks of staying deluxe is real glasses and real coffee mugs. I wonder if they thought of that?

I did notice in the Disneyfiles magazine they are preparing to remove per diem Internet fees. I guess I'll trade my coffee mug if I have to.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Glad you saw that, Mikki. We're staying in a studio at SSR in early April, and I absolutely ABHOR drinking from styrofoam cups, and, like you, I find drinking wine from a paper cup leaves a whole lot to be desired. It's comparable to drinking a fine beer out of a hubcap.

And, as was pointed out earlier, styrofoam is the worst possible choice as far as the environment goes. Disney makes a big deal out of how "environmentally friendly" and "green" they are. What were they thinking this time???

Guess we'll have to take our own coffee cups and wine glasses.

I think I'll join the e-mail flood protesting this.

Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I also read on another site that they have taken away the dishsoap. So you can't even wash your styrofoam cup! Are they going to provide more than 4? Again, this is not good for the environment!

Post Thanks / Like

This is a terrible move. For many DVCers, a studio is perfect but this cheapens it. when we arrived at OKW on our first trip last year, DW used the dish soap and washed the mugs and glasses. That morning coffee in the mug was great.

If the deluxe resorts have them we absolutely should as well.

And Styrofoam? Are they kidding? I thought they were trying to be green resorts.
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

So let's see taking away the Dish Soap saves money I think we have our answer 4 paper/Styrofoam cups must be cheaper than the 1/2 ounce of Detergent they give you

You would think DVC members are their most loyal customers and this should be the last place cutbacks are made.

Here's an idea raise my dues $0.001 per point to cover the Dish Detergent and any stolen or broken mugs
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendy*darling View Post
    I just sent DVC an email about this rumor. If I get a response, I'll let everyone know.
    Linda,
    I can't wait to see the response they send you. I'll be joining you with emails of my own if this is indeed a fact and not rumor...
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    You would think DVC members are their most loyal customers and this should be the last place cutbacks are made.
    Very good point!
    We're down there several times a year spending quite a bit of money; you'd think that they'd want to keep people like us happy! Don't pinch pennies when it comes to those who spend thousands at your parks and restaurants.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    Linda,
    I can't wait to see the response they send you.

Wanna bet it will be something along lines of

"After talking to several members and taking their concerns into account we have decided to remove the glasses and mugs based on their advise"
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Preliminary Update

So, I am sitting at my desk working at home this afternoon and the phone rings. Display say "Disney Vacation Club" and I thought "Wow! That was fast!!"

It turned out to be our guide, Frank Perez, making his every other year courtesy calls. We talked about our vacation plans and that we were happy with our membership.

Then, I told him I thought he was calling about the email I had sent last night. He seemed genuinely pleased about the coincidence.
    Neither he, nor the guide sitting near him, had heard anything about this "rumor."
    I told him what people are saying and speculating on the discussion boards.
    Environmental concerns, not a "deluxe" thing to do to the loyal members, cost cutting, etc., etc.
    He mentioned something about another hotel chain secretly videotaping their housekeeping staff and they were not washing the mugs/glasses in the rooms. But he said- "That's not Disney. We are sure that everything is clean during every room setup." He also said the dish soap and mugs & glasses cost next to nothing, so he did not see that as being an issue either.

He did say that they are having their quarterly (I think) Round Table tomorrow and he would bring it up and call me back.

So, I should have some sort of answer- at least from Frank- tomorrow.

Stay tuned!
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

There was some magazine report about glasses mugs not being cleaned properly in hotels and one of the hotels covered with problems was the Contemporary. Not sure why this would effect DVC though.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlpmikki View Post
    There was some magazine report about glasses mugs not being cleaned properly in hotels and one of the hotels covered with problems was the Contemporary. Not sure why this would effect DVC though.
    I saw it on TV and the first time they showed the Contemporary mousekeeping changed the glasses. The next time mousekeeping just wiped it off.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Default Foam Cups

I emailed DVC to see their response. If its true I will be truly outraged. 30 grand for styrofoam. Thats a deal breaker. I don't care how many hotels they build or if there is free internet.
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

Post Thanks / Like

Default But You Can't Break Your Deal

Quote Originally Posted by pox24 View Post
    I emailed DVC to see their response. If its true I will be truly outraged. 30 grand for styrofoam. Thats a deal breaker. I don't care how many hotels they build or if there is free internet.
    As a person still looking at DVC - but not yet a member - threads like this worry me.

The question is, how much, little by little, feature by feature, 1 quality point at a time, can the Disney Company decrease what they provide DVC mebers over a decades long contract before the member can say, "You are no longer giving my what I paid for." ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlpmikki View Post
    And this is exactly what Disney is going to use to Justify the Cutback. Saying DVC members were concerned about what happened at the Contemporary so we decided to eliminate the problem at DVC. And of course throw in the line to giveour Members the best possible service and a worry free stay
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: