Quantcast American Idol Attraction Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a first for me - a second post. I usually say my peace and move on.

While I have nothing against the show (not a fan - watched 5 minutes of it once) my first reaction of this being a bad idea still holds. When I go on vacation, I want to escape the normal routine. I can get Idol (or any TV show for that matter) at home. I just don't understand the thinking here. There is so much "historical" Disney material to choose from for new shows or interactive attractions that I am suprised by the direction to "sell out" for a ready-made product. I am sure many people will absolutely love this attraction and that is great for all, but it really does seem like it is a current fad and it will drop in popularity rather quickly. 2 years ago would have been prime for this and they could of had a great 5 year run. Now, I fear it will just be one more tired attraction in no time at all.

2018 Port Orleans Riverside
    2012 Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    2009 Grand Floridian
    2007 Contemporary
    2006 Grand Floridian
    2004 Polynesian
    1980 Day trip to MK

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    Personally, I think it would be more successful if they could have Simon, Paula and Randy "judging by satalite". Have video screens with with the three that can play pre-recorded canned critiques and a Cast Member backstage (who knows sining) selecting the critiques to match the performance.
    I LOVE this idea and think it could work out really well.

The biggest problem with this attraction could turn out to be the grand prize front of the line audition thing. This could attract too many of the crazies who think they actually have a shot by wearing a feathered boa and screeching the national anthem and then start to cry when they get rejected.

The key to making it work is that the pre-screening has to weed out people who don't have a sense of humor. They're never going to find a lot of "good" singers to carry the show so they need to put some bad people up there. The key is getting rid of the ones who think they're good. Because let's face it, there are a ton of people who would be willing to just go on stage and be goofy to get a laugh. I'll admit that I'm one of them. If I was with a group of friends, we'd all probably audition to go up there and make fools of ourselves singing Backstreet Boys or something just to get a laugh out of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    * Animal Kingdom was a great thought and cost money, but so much was ill-conceived or not built that it is a poor park. There were/are too few eateries and too few attractions. I think this makes the "conservation" them get lost. Plus, attractions had to be re-themed because they simply did not make sense (ie, Extinction, Big Red / Little Red). Joe Rohde had good ideas, but either his vision just wasn't far enough reaching or corporate didn't give enough money. If the before, then shame on Corporate for keeping the path; if the latter, then shame on Rohde for not changing some of the plans to make more-for-the-money.
    On a totally different note, I agree with this post almost entirely. Just be forwarned, Rusty, that this is an even more unpopular opinion around here than saying the American Idol show is a good idea.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    That's the business case justification which gets park management so excited.
    Well I'm sure glad the managers are excited by it, because they seem to be the only ones judging by their frequent guest's responses.

Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    There are many, many people who consider reality T.V. and American Idol to be the bottom rung of the ladder when it comes to entertainment ... one step above Jerry Springer ...
    Yea but lets be honest, the people who feel that way are far outnumbered by the people who enjoy reality tv, and as sad and scary as it was, Jerry Springer was an absolute phenomenon in the 90s.

And Ian just as an aside, I know from the threads you post in that you are a reality tv fan as well (I believe you watch Idol, Survivor, Amazing Race to name a few)...are you embarrassed about that or something?

Look, I don't begrudge anyone the right to complain because I know that I myself have been in the "negative nancy" shoes in the past. However I still don't get the vitriolic attacks that this idea is being met with. If you look at the regional ratings for Idol, do you know where it is still pulling in ridiculous numbers? THE SOUTH. This leads me down John's thinking, that it could be big with your average visitor.

I don't know that this attraction will turn out to be fantastic, but I also don't know that it will be terrible either. Does it seem easy, convenient, and cheap for Disney to do this? Yes. I don't think they would've done it if it weren't so. That being said, despite what we always hope and wish for, everything can't be a thrill ride or a dark ride, it just can't. Especially in a park whose original intent was to make you feel like you were at a real working studio. I'm simply going to wait and see on this one before I make my judgments.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

While at the Hollywood Studios two days ago (2/6), we passed by a camera crew filming a guy talking about this, but didn't really know what it was about. I guess I should've recognized him or something, but I'm not up on the latest teen heart throbs so I don't know who it was. If we hadn't been rushing out of the park, I would've lingered to see what was going on. I think we'll be surprised by the level of talent that's in the parks.
    WDW-Feb 08 ASMu
    WDW-Apr 07 POP
    WDW-Nov 04-07 POR
    WDW-Nov 01-03 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

It's not their own idea. They once again went out and drew in someone else's intellectual property when so many of their own successful properties are still underexposed in the theme parks. I don't go to Disney World to see American Idol ... I go to see Disney characters, Disney properties, or at a very minimum ideas and concepts that feel Disney (i.e. Indy, Star Wars, etc.).
    I agree. Where's the synergy on this one? It's not like they'll be encouraging anyone to watch more on ABC or the Disney Channel with it.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Well, at least they chose not to build a spinning wild mouse coaster themed to a parking lot this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    Millionaire at least required some bit of intellect to play, not torturing Guests with people who think they can sing. If you wanted to listen to people sing, sit at Fantasmic before it starts and listen to all the different national anthems being presented to you by the tour groups.

Also, what kind of songs will it be? Only Disney songs? Not everyone knows all the words (unless they are from Intercot). Popular songs? I wouldn't let my kids sing or listen to the majority of the music they play these days. Oldies? Most people around my age don't know them unless they were used for a movie.

I don't think it needs to be a dark ride, but there are other things they could have put there. Maybe even a virtual reality system where you can create and star in your own movie would be better than American Idol. They could have made a ride based on Kingdom Hearts (personal bias there) or they could have out a Nightmare before Christmas ride. There are many untouched Disney films that could have has something there or even, making an actual Narnia ride and converting the exhibit into an extensive prop and costume exhibit (because there isn't enough in Backlot). Make a museum for the props used in old Disney rides instead of letting them all rot in the MK cast parking.

There are about a million more ideas that would have been better than this. I would have preferred another Pixar ride before American Idol. And no, I'm not all that excited about the stupid Toy Story Mania ride since to me, it's nothing more than an upgraded version of Buzz (showing that again, Disney has no originality and is just copying other rides).

I love Disney, but they need something new and fresh. Heck, buy the rights to like...Lord of the Rings and make an attraction out of that! Make Middle Earth Land!

Now this is what I'm talking about. Jessica has it right. I am sure she is not in WDI. There are a couple of idea's here that would be great. My kids come up with idea's all the time that would fit in with DHS or the other parks for that matter. I don't watch Idol for one reason. There are thousands or more that have been singing for a living and can't get anywhere. If you are professional you can't get on Idol. There are millions of idea's that could fill the parks. Idol is not one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSad View Post
    There are thousands or more that have been singing for a living and can't get anywhere. If you are professional you can't get on Idol.
    OK this isn't really true. Not trying to hijack the thread but just to set the record straight, the only requirement for Idol is that you cannot CURRENTLY have a record DEAL. Which is to say if you had one in the past and went nowhere, you can get on (this year there are many "second go around" people) or if you have an independently released album, you are also good to go. You don't have to be a complete novice to be allowed on the show.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Forget all about the possibility for this to be entertaining or not ... it doesn't at all bother you that Disney went outside again to get material and that they went to a reality T.V. show?

What's next? A meet and greet with Donald Trump???
    How about "Extreme Makeover: Disney Hollywood Studios Edition"?

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! I can't believe how much negativity there is on this already! Personally, I think you guys are jumping the gun. I prefer to take a more neutral position on it right now, a wait and see attitude. So, Ian, or whoever is counting, mark one down for neutral

While I'm a "mild" fan of American Idol, I think it's a good business idea for Disney, and a potential moneymaker, especially among alot of the younger crowd (teens to young adults). I just see this as another one of Bob Iger's reaching out to other "Big" companys and trying to leverage some of their synergy, it's kind of a gutsy move, but it's also a fairly safe move in that they don't have to spend a whole lot of money developing something new. It's also another way for them to add more and spend less, like they've done with the Four Seasons venture and the Western Way expansion. It seems to be the way Bob Iger and his team seem to be going.

I really don't see this as a lot different than some of the things Walt himself did when he opened Disneyland. He's bringing in other companys with big money and ideas and helping promote them while sharing some some of their profits. Makes me wonder if Disney is trying to ink a long-term deal with Simon Fuller and his company 19 Entertainment for future productions outside of American Idol.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

As John pointed out, this show is
    ..filling dead space with a hit show that will no doubt entertain most who come to the park if well done...
    Again, this area is smack dab in the middle of the park and its footprint is not condusive to an E ticket anyway.

I consider myself a normal visitor to WDW, going once every 4-5 years. So for me, going to see this once, it might not be there when I go back. (e.g. Millionaire, SST, Hunchback show)
    IMHO its better than an empty theater and something that I think most people will go see at least once. A perfect example of this was the "Fear Factor" LIVE show at Universal. I went and saw it once, and that was fine. It will not be there when I go back (probably in '09) and that's OK by me.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we are missing the hidden agenda here...looks to me like a way for Disney to find the next Hannah Montana. They will be utilizing the huge volume of people to filter out the best teenage talent (who happen to be Disney fans because they are at Disney).

Besides...if it sucs more people away from Toy Story Mania I am all for it!
    I wish Mr. Tom Morrow would hurry up and take his page!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    . . . And then there's the marketing potential here- all sorts of product merchandise to be sold (American Idol contestant CDs, T-shirts with "What's up Dawg" or Ryan Seacrest's face on them and maybe even a Simon Cowell plush that hurls insults at you when you squeeze it) . . . The American Idol creators are anxious to expand their franchise as much as possible . . .
    1) I agree.
    2) But, I don't care about THEIR franchise.
    3) I don't care about Disney revenue from the associated sales.
    4) I want new attractions at WDW.
    5) I personally think it is another case of ignoring the guest.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Huh?

Am I the only one that thinks this is a great idea?!?!?
    I mean, I would have preferred an updated superstar television any day but this is so similar to me. Besides, nothing has been in that spot for years. Isn't anyone happy that they are actually putting something interactive, related to the theme of the disney studios, and not based on a pixar film in the vacant spot?!??!!?!? I really don't understand all the negativity. Furthermore, isn't American Idol one of the most watched shows in television history???? Where are these people???

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Sigh. . . . .

Something more I can avoid at DHS. Are they are trying to fill this park with attractions that one would rather avoid? ( Narnia, too)
    Trendy and sad - and I agree with others who are commenting on what is going to happen 2 years from now? I would think for the development and building costs of things these days, they would consider rides/attractions/shows that have alittle more longevity to them. Five years from now, no one will probably know what it is. . . .kinda like Britney Spears !! HeeHee
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and to John and Mufasa- I am anything but an "average guest"

Post Thanks / Like

I had a thought about how they might could "plus" this attraction. I think it would be really neat if they use the same technology they have at Turtle Talk with Crush and Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, to "emulate" one or more of the judges from the show. I think Simon would be the best choice, but some might find his personality too offensive for the typically, family friendly parks. A "virtual" Simon Cowell, now that's scary!
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Give it a chance, Disney might do it right. It's a music attraction. I'm sure they'll pack it with previous winner's quality work (Carrie Underwood, etc.). They just need to keep it quick and fun. No longer than 20 minutes and have good MC that makes it fun. Sure, it's probably only a one time every couple years (if it lasts that long) attraction but I'll give it a chance. I like making fun of people.

Also, it looks like Disney isn't risking much cash here. They are letting the AI people do all the heavy lifting. Do this for a couple years and then have the next #1 TV show do something with the building...

Another "plus" thought. Make them sing only Disney tunes and where character costumes. That will Disnefy it!
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleveSJM View Post
    Also, it looks like Disney isn't risking much cash here. They are letting the AI people do all the heavy lifting. Do this for a couple years and then have the next #1 TV show do something with the building...
    Exactly! This seems to be part of the new strategy that Disney/Bob Iger has crafted for new development, at least at WDW. Leverage other partners to fund the capital development projects. The financial risk in doing it this way is quite minimal, it's like having your brother pay for the new car, and you just pay gas and insurance.
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP