Quantcast Arizona & Grand Canyon

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arizona & Grand Canyon

I am considering a trip to Arizona for April of 2009. My daughter will be 10 by that time and she was very excited when I had mentioned it to her. Do you think a full week is enough to take in the south west flavor. Would we run out of things to hold out interest? How long should we dedicate to the Grand Canyon? Are there any MUST SEE places? Anything suggested is appreciated.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

There are plenty of things to see in Arizona. I don't think you would run out of things to see. A week should be fine. I guess it depends on how much travel around the state you want to do.

There are many sites in Northern Arizona. The most famous site of course is the Grand Canyon. Some people walk up and spend 15 minutes and leave .... Others really take the whole thing in and spend a day or two.

There are several different lookout spots around the South rim to view the canyon and to learn the history. I believe the North rim is closed this time of year, but should be open in April. The north rim is completly different then the south rim. Most pepole view the canyon from the south rim, so there are usually a lot of people there. The north rim is more remote, a little bit of a drive to get there, but much more peaceful and relaxing. If you go to the north rim you should plan on staying in one of the cabins there to make the most of the effort to get there.

There are hotels on the south rim, or you could stay in Flagstaff, Arizona which is a larger city not too far from the canyon. Also not too far from the Flagstaff is metor crator where many, many years ago a giant meteor hit the surface. There is a interactive learning center and theater there. as well as the amazing site of the crator.

Other great places around northern Arizona are the Petrified Forest and Monument Valley. Great scenic areas, but may be more driving then you want to do.

If you are driving up to the Grand Canyon from the Phoenix area, a drive through Sedona Arizona is a must. One of the most beautiful areas of the state with the red rocks and trees. Also a great place to do some shopping or visit the many art and craft stores that are throughout Sedona.

The Phoenix area, and Tucson in southern Arizona also offer some attractions you could see. I would check out the Arizona tourism site and maybe make a plan of what places you think you want to see and plan your time that way. I grew up in Arizona, and as a kid we traveled the entire state. I'm in CA now, but still love my home state.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Go to nps.gov and click on Arizona to see all the federal parks you can visit. Walnut Canyon and Sunset Crater are very nice.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

The North Rim won't open until mid May and there is a good chance you will run into some snow on the south Rim and nearby.
    Go to the park's website and look at the lodging available in the park . . . it might not be as nice as outside the park, but it's all about location.
    Plan on doing some hikes out into the Canyon . . . it is well worth the effort to gat those views! Unless you are avid hikers and outdoors people, two full days are probably adequte to see the sights and explore.
    Then a couple days doing the places Altair recommends plus Wupatki National Monument from Flagstaff and then a couple days in Sedona.
    Do remember that you will be at elevation so if normal life is near sea level, you may fatigue more quickly than normal. Also keep in mind that while Phoenix is closer, you may get better airfare and car rental rates flying in to Las Vegas. We price our trips to that area both ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPT Trips View Post
    The North Rim won't open until mid May and there is a good chance you will run into some snow on the south Rim and nearby.
    I've only been to the north rim once, many years ago. I could not remember how soon it opens. Thanks for the info.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Mix in a trip to Disneyland?
    2008 @ VWL Turkey Day 8 day Adventure
    2008 Oct. @ BCV can we not get rained out of MNSSHP?????
    2008 Easter @ BCV & AKV 8 Days of Joy!
    2007 Nov. DVC going home to VWL & MVMCP gotta do it twice!
    2007 Sept. DVC going home to BCV & 1st MNSSHP boo!
    2006 DEC. POLY MKV. Concierge & MVMCP

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget about Montezuma's Castle--it's amazing! And then there are several little ghost towns where you can take mine tours. They're alot of fun.

šOšprprincessšOš

WDW-75, 79, 89, 91, 98, 04: Offsite; 01: ASMs & CSR; 02: Dolphin; 03: GF & POR; 06: POFQ & BC; 08: WL; 09: CBR
    DL--97-98: AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

We went to the Grand Canyon last October (07). I have a 9 year old son and he had a blast.
    We drove from Las Vegas so we didn't see other Arizona sites. I highly reccommend The El Tovar Hotel on the South Rim. It was right on the rim and all we had to do was walk outside and we were at the Canyon. The hotel was old fashion looking and very cool. It was very clean and the room was bigger than I expected. We had a view overlooking the canyon from our balcony. Elk came to our balcony every night.

The rooms at the canyon go fast. You should book a year in advance. I called a year ahead and was told there were no rooms left so I called back the next day and got a room. I guess it was a cancellation.

We were there for three days and had tons of things to do. We took the free shuttle and explored the loops on our own. It is really amazing. We are not hikers so three days was enough. If you are hikers I would spend more time.

In October (slow season??)there were always long lines for the restaurants so book them in advance (6 months I believe).
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much for your input. One other question. Has anyone ever taken one of the float trips from Page, AZ. ?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: