Quantcast Those with young children...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Those with young children...

I'm curious how much time you really spend in your stateroom?

I'm guessing that w/ young children who go to bed early (and maybe still nap!? My youngest will have just turned 3), that we'll be in there more than we would if DH and I were just going alone. So, I'm wondering if it might be worth it to get a room w/ a verandah... so we can have a place to 'retreat' when they're snoozing?!
    Tonya

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

well, I don't have children, so I can't personally speak to that... but you've mentioned that veranda a few times now! I think you really want that veranda, and I say if you can afford it, go ahead. One other poster mentioned concern about the kids getting out, but as long as you safegaurd against that if it's a concern for you, then go ahead. AbeeNormal (sp?) posted a trip report on her cruise and she couldn't say enough good things about her veranda, how much they loved it, and how much time they spent. Perhaps you could as her how secure she felt it was with her kids. I'd guess since it's Disney, they've thought about that, and have take measure to make sure there are saftey precautions in place, but someone who's been in a room with a veranda can probably fill you in better.
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life.
    Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Our youngest were 4 when we went in Jan. We did have nap time for the twins everyday in the room before dinner. The dinners seem to take a long time but were very good They loved the clubs but it tired them out so the nap really helped (and they don't even nap at home). We had an inside stateroom and loved it because we could pull the curtain around the bed for them and it would be nice and dark. Sometimes we napped too and sometimes watched TV.
    Amanda, Mom of 4

ASMo Mar 2005
    Pop Sep 2006, Jan 2014, Jan 2016
    SSR Dec 2006
    Disney Magic Jan 2008, Mar 2009, Apr 2011
    OKW Jan 2009, June 2012, December 2017
    POFQ Jan 2012
    VWL Oct 2012
    AKV Jan 2013, June 2013, Aug 2015
    AOA July 2014
    All Star Sports Jan 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WonderlandsMostWanted View Post
    well, I don't have children, so I can't personally speak to that... but you've mentioned that veranda a few times now! I think you really want that veranda, and I say if you can afford it, go ahead. One other poster mentioned concern about the kids getting out, but as long as you safegaurd against that if it's a concern for you, then go ahead. AbeeNormal (sp?) posted a trip report on her cruise and she couldn't say enough good things about her veranda, how much they loved it, and how much time they spent. Perhaps you could as her how secure she felt it was with her kids. I'd guess since it's Disney, they've thought about that, and have take measure to make sure there are saftey precautions in place, but someone who's been in a room with a veranda can probably fill you in better.
    LOL... only twice! Actually, my girlfriend is the one who "planted the seed" about the veranda and while it sounds cool, I'm just not sure we'd use it. Thanks for the tip about Abeenormal... I'll have to stalk her posts!

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanFamily6 View Post
    Our youngest were 4 when we went in Jan. We did have nap time for the twins everyday in the room before dinner. The dinners seem to take a long time but were very good They loved the clubs but it tired them out so the nap really helped (and they don't even nap at home). We had an inside stateroom and loved it because we could pull the curtain around the bed for them and it would be nice and dark. Sometimes we napped too and sometimes watched TV.
    I didn't think about the curtain! That might just be perfect! Thanks!
    Tonya

Post Thanks / Like

Kids or no kids IMO the verandah is worth every penny. First off it makes you feel not so closed in plus the views are wonderful and calming. We sat outside in the warm breeze everynight before we went to bed. As long as we can afford it I will never cruise without getting one.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Natomas, California = 2908 miles from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

I also could never cruise again W/O my beloved Veranda. I loved it - we kept the door open the entire night to hear the ocean and it was outstanding.
    I was nervous about my kids - I just made sure they knew not to go out there without us and for once in their little lives they listened. ( not to mention the fact that if we were in the room we were out there.)

The door does have a lock and it is confusing to open even for adults and that also made us comfortable about having the veranda the kids couldn't figure out how to open the door andyway, and these are the same kids that could get to cookies hidden on the top shelf of the pantry in a safe, hahahaha.....

Bon Voyage!!
    Polynesian & DCL - 1st trip Jan 3rd '08 șOș
    Many Trips to Disneyland Resort șOș

Even if you're on the right track - you'll get run over if you just sit there!!
    - Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Kids or no kids IMO the verandah is worth every penny. First off it makes you feel not so closed in plus the views are wonderful and calming. We sat outside in the warm breeze everynight before we went to bed. As long as we can afford it I will never cruise without getting one.
    I 2nd that

- Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Oooh! That is GREAT to know about the locks. I was a bit concerned about that.

Question (if any of you happen back in here...) - is the veranda next to the sofa, like pictured on Disney's site? It's a bit confusing because the floorplans show the bed next to the veranda.

I ask because our thoughts on getting one were because we want to 'sneak' out there after the kiddos are asleep and that would be tricky if the wind whips them in the face on our way out!!! LOL
    Tonya

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if all the veranda rooms are set up the same. Our couch was by the door meaning you would have to pass the kids to get outside.

- Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

I'll weigh in on the alternate side. We cruised in October in a Cat 8 with no verandah. It was our first cruise so we didn't know enough to miss it. I have two small kids and we definitely did not have to worry about their safety with one. On the plus side - we got some great pictures of them in the large port hole window. While the rooms may look small, we actually felt it was a good size for what we got.
    Nov - DW CSR 2003
    June - DL 2004
    May - DW ASM 2005
    April -DW FQ 2006
    Nov - DW CSR 2006
    Oct - DCL Magic & CSR 2007
    Aug - DCL Wonder Double Dip 2008

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: