Quantcast What's wrong with classic "Sesame Street"?? (vent)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's wrong with classic "Sesame Street"?? (vent)

mode on:

There was a story on last night's local news about a warning that appears on DVDs of the first two seasons of "Sesame Street". This warning indicates that the show is intended for grown-ups, and may not be appropriate for today's toddler/preschooler.

Huh?

I saw the teaser to this story just before the news came on, so I stayed up to watch the story. I wanted to know what was considered offensive to the sensibilities of a child of today. Unfortunately, the news report didn't go into details about the inappropriate content. I poked around on the web just now, and found a story that talks about children wandering around with adults, Oscar the Grouch being crabby (hello! His name is Oscar the Grouch!), and other features of the show that seem suitably inane to this 40-something. What am I missing?

When my DD was a preschooler, and I happily sat her in front of the TV to watch the newer version of this show, I was more appalled by what I saw now. In one sequence, the Gettysburg Address is recited incorrectly: "Four score and seven years ago, our mothers...." What kind of revisionist history is this? One may not like the fact that women were not included in Mr. Lincoln's speech, but that doesn't give one the right to change the wording!

Okay, I've calmed down a little. I'll get off my now...
    Last edited by alphamommy; 01-09-2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: didn't like original formatting
    Tammy

8/78, 5/88, 3/90, 3/94 - WDW - Off-Site
    5/86, 7/91, 3/99 - DL - Off-Site
    10/97, 7/98 - WDW - Poly
    7/01 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #1
    2/02 - WDW - WL
    7/03 - WDW - Poly - surprise b-day trip
    12/04 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #2
    1/06 - WDW - Poly - surprise 6th b-day for DD

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree completely this is outrageous. Both my DW and myself grew up on Sesame Street, and we turned out fine. You know I even heard that they have stopped lettign Cookie Monster eat cookies for fear that it would encourage obesity in kids. How utterley ridiculous! Sorry I had to jump on your rant too. Everything is just entirely to PC now a days.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I totally agree. I grew up watching Sesame Street and, quite honestly, loved it immensely as a child.

But now, I won't even let my kids watch it. It's just awful.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you have to remember, as time moves forward some people who feel they have an education try to change things for, what they believe is better.

When I was in college oh so many years ago now, my ex-wife was in the elementary education program. She was being taught phonics is bad and whole language is good. That isn't the only thing however, it has been too many years to remember details but the phonics/whole language seems a good place to discuss. When the whole language came into vogue in the school systems, millions of children were delayed in learning the English language and reading because it was believe to immerse a child in the word and not the parts of the word. It was discovered soon thereafter that phonics was needed for children to really get a grasp of the English language.

Watching my son learn to speak, he is using phonics on his own to learn. For "dance" he says "D." For boat, he says "buh buh boat."

These do-gooders are usually a flash in the pan and fade away when it is discovered what they are trying to peddle is snake oil.

I say, if you want your children to watch the classic episodes of Sesame Street, please do so. To be honest, I don't smoke so I don't think Cookie Monster smoking in a spoof of Masterpiece Theatre harmed me any... And I really did enjoy eating cookies they way Cookie Monster did.

Post Thanks / Like

I read an article about this about a month ago, and to be honest with you, I took it all with a grain of salt. Yeah, things change, and I guess what was deemed okay back then isn't PC nowadays, but honestly, I'd let my kids watched the old episodes. I love them and still don't. I don't see what harm they would cause.

ºOºprprincessºOº

WDW-75, 79, 89, 91, 98, 04: Offsite; 01: ASMs & CSR; 02: Dolphin; 03: GF & POR; 06: POFQ & BC; 08: WL; 09: CBR
    DL--97-98: AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky for me neither have my kids have ever liked Sesame Street but I watched it growing up, and I must say that I turned out fine (at least I think I did).
    Next Trip: 2008 (hoping and praying)
    POR-August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    And I really did enjoy eating cookies they way Cookie Monster did.
    LOL! DH still eats his cookies that way!!!
    Next Trip: 2008 (hoping and praying)
    POR-August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I wonder who "they" are this time. Given the nature of most network television programming, by want measure of logic do "they" find the greater concern with the likes of Oscar and Cookie Monster?

Once again, I believe "they" are vastly misguided.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Another excuse they give was that characters looks (both human and muppet) have changed, as well as relationships and attitudes. I own both Classic Sesame Street Volumes and there's nothing I see as offensive. I watched Sesame Street regularly from the mid-1980s to mid 1990s. One of my favorite shows to this day is Christmas Eve on Sesame Street which was filmed in the 70s. By the time I started watching the show, Mr. Hooper had died and many of the characters featured in this movie had a different look, but I still was able to follow and enjoy it. It's really not that confusing.

They also shows the Monsterpiece Theater skit when I was growing up as well. Amazing how things can change in a little over a decade.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

It might be the fact that Bert and Ernie live with each other and are not brothers.

Sesame Street is also very big in the Netherlands, and I have certainly been brought up with those characters. This is just what young children need now instead of Pokemon and power rangers and all that thrash..
    DLP:
    Dec. 1992 - May 1994 - Dec. 1997
    October 1999 - October 2003 - June 2004
    July 2006 - October 2006 - October 2007
    Going November 2008

WDW:
    Dec. 2003- Dec. 2005- November/Dec. 2006
    Dec./January 2007
    Going June 2008

DLR:
    Dec. 2006 - Dec. 2007
    Going July 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Sesame Street first aired shortly before I was born. I have always loved it, and I still love watching it with my DS5.

But, one of the things that I really remember was when they changed Snuffalupagus. When the show was new, all the characters thought that Snuffy was Big Bird's "Imaginary Friend." No one else was ever around when Snuffy was around. So, they thought Big Bird was making Snuffy up. Kids saw this and were afraid that grown-ups wouldn't believe them when they told important information. And, actually, I remember being very upset and frustrated when I watched the Big Bird sequences and to see the other characters not believe him.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDog View Post
    Sesame Street first aired shortly before I was born. I have always loved it, and I still love watching it with my DS5.

But, one of the things that I really remember was when they changed Snuffalupagus. When the show was new, all the characters thought that Snuffy was Big Bird's "Imaginary Friend." No one else was ever around when Snuffy was around. So, they thought Big Bird was making Snuffy up. Kids saw this and were afraid that grown-ups wouldn't believe them when they told important information. And, actually, I remember being very upset and frustrated when I watched the Big Bird sequences and to see the other characters not believe him.
    Yep, me too. The first episode aired in November of 1969 when I was just 4 months old. I literally watched it probably every day, multiple times a day, for maybe the first 6 or 7 years of my life.

I had every Sesame Street toy known to man (in fact, in my home office I still have one of my little Bert finger puppets from when I was a kid on my bookshelf) and just loved to play Sesame Street with my brother (we had the Fisher Price Sesame Street playset).

Funny you say that about Snuffy, though. I kinda remember being very frustrated about that, too. I remember thinking, "When are these people finally going to meet Snuffy for real??"
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDog View Post
    Kids saw this and were afraid that grown-ups wouldn't believe them when they told important information. And, actually, I remember being very upset and frustrated when I watched the Big Bird sequences and to see the other characters not believe him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Funny you say that about Snuffy, though. I kinda remember being very frustrated about that, too. I remember thinking, "When are these people finally going to meet Snuffy for real??"
    This is something I'll agree with you on. And a clip of "Imaginary" Snuffy is indeed featured on the Classic collection. I was just watching the other night and getting really upset because they were practically yelling at Big Bird saying he wasn't real. Maria especially had a bad attitude. That is one direction that I think was a bad one for Sesame.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: