Quantcast American Idol: Season 7 - Page 18

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Absolutely. He's also really, really bland. Milquetoast is the word I used for him. Blah. No zip at all. The only thing he's good for is crooning dull ballads to an audience of middle aged women.
    I am way on top of the David A. bandwagon. LOVE LOVE LOVE him. His voice makes me stop in my tracks. OK, OK, yes, I am a middle-aged woman. So sue me!!
    And judging from the reaction of my 11-year-old DD, he definitely has an audience other than us.

BUT I do think he's going to surprise everyone soon because he's going to have to. And just watch the reaction when he gets off the ballads. (My prediction.)

BTW, if you go on YouTube and look for videos from when he was youngER, looks like he's had that lip-licking habit for his whole life.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Last night was very disappointing. I can't say that I had any favorite this week.......just some that were just OK.
    Bottom 3 for me would be;
    Amanda (have been playing Janis Joplin's Pearl in the car this week and Amanda isn't even a close decent wanna-be)
    Ramiele (boring and not good)
    And then a toss up between Michael Johns (not coming close to how well in sang durning Hollywood week) or Kristi (this girl sings through her nose!)
    Overall just a bad week.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Well ... did you compare him to a current Daughtry video or a Daughtry video from when he was on AI?

You can't compare a professionally recorded and produced video from a big-label recording artist to a 90 second, rough performance from a new artist.
    I'm comparing the slick professionally-produced Daughtry, of course. But I can't imagine David Cook actually having the chops or the fan base to make it that far. I could imagine Daughtry doing well even while on Idol, even with that pesky vibrato problem. Of course, I don't recall him winking at the camera as if the audience might be in on the joke a la David Cook, either.

Perhaps I'll eat my words when Cook's stripped-down rock version of Afternoon Delight hits the Billboard charts.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday is one of my favorite Beatles songs. I hate how Syesha sang it. I'm ready for her to go home. I'm so tired of having to hear her. I just can't stand her.

I'm ready for about half of these people to go home.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    BUT I do think he's going to surprise everyone soon because he's going to have to. And just watch the reaction when he gets off the ballads. (My prediction.)
    I think we already saw what happens when we gets off the ballads (last week) and it was a complete disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I'm comparing the slick professionally-produced Daughtry, of course. But I can't imagine David Cook actually having the chops or the fan base to make it that far.
    I'm not sure if we're watching the same performances or not, Sherri, but suffice it to say I strongly disagree.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that Cook has his first hit long before Archuletta does (if he ever does).

Quote Originally Posted by BelleLovesTheBeast View Post
    Yesterday is one of my favorite Beatles songs. I hate how Syesha sang it. I'm ready for her to go home. I'm so tired of having to hear her. I just can't stand her.
    Ugh. I couldn't agree more. I don't understand what people find so appealing about her. I think she buchered Yesterday in a big way.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Kristy Lee Cook - I thought she was okay. I didn't really agree with the judges ripping her. Yeah ... she's not the best performer in the bunch. But I think she has a pretty sweet tone to her voice and I kinda thought the vocal was decent. Certainly not one of the best, but not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be.
    See... I think they were easy on her! The song she sang was written during one of Lennon's really depressive periods... it's about vulnerability and naked emotion and she sang it with zero conviction or personality, and even went off key a few times. She even admitted that she knew nothing about it other than she liked the title? Ian, I think you have another case of Haley Scarnato fever with this chick Honestly, if she wasn't so pretty and didn't have the early face time with the audition rounds, she'd be long gone.

David Archuletta -And you know ... I still don't see where this kid fits in in the music business. The more I see him the more he screams "BROADWAY!" to me. Unless he wants to try going the adult contempo route at age 17. He's like a 45 year old in a 17 year old's body.
    Actually as a musical theatre patron I have to say I don't see Broadway in him at all. He is in the same vein as Josh Groban and Michael Buble, both extremely popular albeit not with a youthful audience. But he has the tweens captivated. I'm pretty sure they'll find some kind of middle ground and find a way to market him. Clay Aiken's first album did wonderfully despite it not having appeal on "popular" radio. Lets face it, the only real "pop" idol that the show has produced is Kelly Clarkson. It's really hard to find someone that has mass appeal and most artists as evidenced by this season are just happy to be successful in their own little niche.

David Cook - I totally disagree about the talk box being gimmicky. I thought it was very creative, not at all "indulgent" (whatever that means from a performance perspective)
    Well, I don't always know what Simon means when HE uses that phrase because I don't often know what he means by it, but in this case, I'll explain exactly why I called it that. I don't think that the use of the talkbox in and of itself was gimmicky/smug/indulgent, but the use of it at THIS time, in THAT song was. If he was just learning how to use it then maybe he should've saved it for another week when it had more potential to be a "wow" factor. To me, I was waiting and waiting for him to use it, and then when he did I was kind of like..."uh, ok...that was it?" In my opinion he forced something where it didn't belong to try to keep proving that he is groundbreaking and innovative.

All that being said, I still said I enjoyed the performance and I do actually think he could have a successful career similar to Daughtry. I honestly think his raw singing voice is better than Daughtry's.

Ramiele - Sorry. Didn't get it. I see bad karoke for like 90% of her songs. The other 10% she shows what she's capable of, but she never carries through an entire song.
    I agree here. I keep wanting her to blow me away. I feel like she and Kristy are in the same boat in the sense that they are poorly lacking in stage presence, but I feel Ramiele's voice is much stronger. However I don't know if she can ever be a star. Someone on another site called her song the "Kidz Bop" version and I thought that was a perfect description.

Quote Originally Posted by poeticeclipse View Post
    Amanda Overmyer - “Back in the Ussr”
    [B]This was actually better than I thought it would be. I love this song so that helps a little.
    See, I also love this song which is why I hated her performance of it, lol! The whole part where the melody changes ("The Ukraine girls really knock me out...") was specifically written to be a happy, upbeat melodic breakdown to mimic The Beach Boys because The Beatles were in love with Pet Sounds at the time... and she just completely butchered it. There was no melody!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we already saw what happens when we gets off the ballads (last week) and it was a complete disaster.
    Boooooo.....

Ugh. I couldn't agree more. I don't understand what people find so appealing about her. I think she buchered Yesterday in a big way.
    Yeah, I don't really get why the judges are so nice to her except for the fact that she's cute. I lost count on how many times she didn't hit the notes.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Ian, I think you have another case of Haley Scarnato fever with this chick
    Okay ... that's possible.

He is in the same vein as Josh Groban and Michael Buble, both extremely popular albeit not with a youthful audience.
    See ... I guess you're right there, but I am SO not interested in that genre that I pay no attention to it. I'd never even heard of that Bubble dude until he was on AI last year. And after I heard him sing I was glad that he was previously anonymous to me.

Lets face it, the only real "pop" idol that the show has produced is Kelly Clarkson.
    Weeeeeeellll ... maybe if you're using an extremely narrow definition of the word "pop" idol, but I would consider both Carrie and Daughtry to fit that bill. They may not be "pop" singers, per se, but both are certainly wildly successful popular music artists.

I honestly think his raw singing voice is better than Daughtry's.
    We agree on that. He's tremendously talented vocally.

See, I also love this song which is why I hated her performance of it, lol! The whole part where the melody changes ("The Ukraine girls really knock me out...") was specifically written to be a happy, upbeat melodic breakdown to mimic The Beach Boys because The Beatles were in love with Pet Sounds at the time... and she just completely butchered it. There was no melody!
    Very well said, Maryanne. Exactly how I felt. She clearly didn't understand the song.

But then again I don't really think any of them truly "got" the songs they were singing.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Weeeeeeellll ... maybe if you're using an extremely narrow definition of the word "pop" idol, but I would consider both Carrie and Daughtry to fit that bill. They may not be "pop" singers, per se, but both are certainly wildly successful popular music artists.
    Carrie is an extremely successful country star who only recently started crossing over into the pop charts, specifically with "Before He Cheats." Daughtry is certainly a pop rock star, but came in 4th. I was mainly referring to winners/runners up.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Well ... did you compare him to a current Daughtry video or a Daughtry video from when he was on AI?

You can't compare a professionally recorded and produced video from a big-label recording artist to a 90 second, rough performance from a new artist.
    David Cook is like a GOOD Chris Daughtry. He's what Chris would be if Chris knew how to control his vibrato. I cannot STAND daughtry. His voice is all shakey and stuff. SO annoying. UGH.

I enjoy David. He may not have the best vocals, but his talent is wonderful.
    June 1987 Offsite WDW
    June 1991 Offsite WDW
    June 1995 All Star Sports
    June 2004 First Disneyland trip
    2005 - 2007 Disneyland AP Holder - visited at least once a week
    August 2007 Anaheim Plaza
    November 2007 Anaheim Plaza
    January 2008 Port Orleans Riverside
    January 2009 Anaheim Plaza

Post Thanks / Like

Default Graham's AI rundown

I'm always late to the party. Here's my run down. Those that know how I do this may recall that I give everybody their own name because I can't keep them straight.

YUUURGH CHILD!- “Back in the Ussr”
    It was her best redition of the song she's been signing since her audition thus far. I'd like to hear her try a different song.

Waffle House - “You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away"
    HEY! You've got to vote thiiiiiis... girl away...

Star Search - “Long and Winding Road”
    He's accepted the fact that he can only sing slow songs. Too bad that little revelation is going to leave the audience tired of his performances. He's used to the Star Search format where he only has to sing one good song to win everybody over. There is no way he could carry an entire show. Imagine an hour of him singing soft love songs in the alto range. Ugh.

Subaru Outback - “A Day in the Life”
    What was he thinking. He took last weeks fantastic performance and beat the stuffing out of it. Tasty pick. BONEHEAD!!!

Smashmouth - “Day Tripper”
    I'm getting a little tired of this cover band singer. He hit a home run with Lionel Ritchie's "Hello" so now he thinks that's what we want him to do every week. He needs to keep a few of them true to their roots especially with such recognizable tunes.

Carly Simonesque - “Here Comes the Sun”
    You can't go wrong with a George Harrison number unless of course you make everything yellow and dance around like an idiot. This looked like a Tide commercial. She wasn't bad as long as you didn't watch her.

Irish Spring - “Blackbird”
    Bad arrangement of a beautifully simple song. Giving it the Celine Dion treatment takes away the gentle sincerity that makes this song so great. Turn down the volume a bit.

Dreaded Smile - “Michelle”
    This guy could read stereo instructions and I still think the ladies would swoon. I'm sick of his antics. No comment on this song.

Star Search II - “Yesterday”
    You did this one the way Irish Spring should have done hers. Even with the rendition advantage you still clearly hate what you're singing. You're not gonna last with that attitude.

Isaac - “I’ve Just Seen A Face”
    The frantic wackiness was entertaining last week. Now you're just creeping people out. I'll assume you just learned how to "play" the harmonica. Embarassing.

Ramen - “I Should Have Known Better”
    So let me get this straight. You're co-dependant and use everybody there as a reference to how you're feeling since you don't have feelings of your own? It certainly shows when you inhale the life out of a song. I liked your little Daniel head shake there. To use a phrase from your apparent hero, "I wasn't likin' it."
    Last edited by Melanie; 03-19-2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Per TOS
    I just made a clever comment on the interwebs!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Thoughts

Amanda - Man, do I HATE her singing. Al the songs are exactly the same. And her voice is like gravel. I hate hate hate it!!! I want her to be gone so I never have to hear her awful voice again. Have fun doing small shows in Arkansas or wherever you're from.

Kristy Lee - She wasn't as bad as last week. But that's not saying much. She's just no good. That's all there is to it.

David A. - He did better this week. He does have a lovely voice. But I worry he can only do ballads. That said...he does a great job on the ballads! I think his shy act is definitely an "act" so it's getting old. But other than that, he has a nice voice. My husband thinks he sings the songs the way a woman would sing them.

Michael - I was not a fan of this performance. Sometimes he's okay. Sometimes he's awful. This time I thought was awful. He's never great.

David C. - I knew ahead of time that he was going to use a vox box or whatever you want to call it. *gag* I'm not a fan of them (not a fan of Frampton either.) Other than that, I liked the performance. Wasn't my favorite of his though. I still think he has the best overall talent.

Brooke - Wow that was some awkward dancing. I really like the song. She was a little too cheesy for me though.

Jason - Oh, poor Jason. I like him. But this week was a little "eh" for me. At one point he put his arm up and made a weird gesture that reminded me of a french chef or something. Very odd.

Syesha - She has a fantastic voice. But her charisma and personality are a bit lacking. She really needs to step it up if she wants to continue. I'd still like her to stick around longer than at least half of the others on this show.

Chikeze - He reminds me so much of Isaac from the love boat! He's a little over-the-top and cheesy a lot of the time. He's okay. Not the worst but definitely not the best either.

Ramiele - UGH! I cannot stand her. And she's got some serious attachment issues. She's so clingy with everyone and she hasn't even known them very long. Poor thing. Her performance was terrible! The worst one of the night. Yuck. She's no good.

Predicted bottom three = Ramiele, Kristy Lee, Syesha
    MY bottom three = Amanda, Ramiele, Kristy Lee

I think Ramiele will go home.
    I'd be happy to see any of my bottom three go. In reality, I wish all of my bottom three would leave and take a few others with them.
    June 1987 Offsite WDW
    June 1991 Offsite WDW
    June 1995 All Star Sports
    June 2004 First Disneyland trip
    2005 - 2007 Disneyland AP Holder - visited at least once a week
    August 2007 Anaheim Plaza
    November 2007 Anaheim Plaza
    January 2008 Port Orleans Riverside
    January 2009 Anaheim Plaza

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I was mainly referring to winners/runners up.
    Well ... but you're sort of making my point for me. A lot of the ones who won were more in the David A. mold than the David C. mold and those are the ones who've flopped out big time.

Although maybe that's not true either. Reuben and Fantasia were definitely gospel-types and who knows what Mr. Soul Patrol was doing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Quest4fun View Post
    He needs to keep a few of them true to their roots especially with such recognizable tunes.
    Actually this is probably one of the most valid criticisms of him I've seen thus far. He does need to come out one week and pick like a Nirvana tune or something and just stick to the original arrangement ... show us he can do that well, too.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Well ... but you're sort of making my point for me. A lot of the ones who won were more in the David A. mold than the David C. mold and those are the ones who've flopped out big time.
    Actually, I think we are basically making the same exact point. I was talking about the winners to show that they haven't succeeded in the Pop world, and that this year some contestants seem to actually be catering already to the audience they want to make an album for more than in past years. Archuletta might be able to find a niche and succeed, but he won't be a contemporary pop artist.

Oh, and just as an aside don't base your opinion of Buble on his Idol performance. I don't know what was up with that, he seemed really drunk. I've actually seen the man in concert and I honestly felt like I was at a Rat Pack show with his personality, and his vocals were spot on. And this was during one of the hottest days we had last summer, outside in the Mann Center, yet he didn't sandbag at all.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

I was completely bored last night and quite frankly, none of the performances were all that spectacular, I thought. I agree with the sentiment that round two of the Beatles was a mistake. Which is so hard for me to believe... I mean you have some of the greatest music ever at your disposal. How do you muck that up?

Anyway, it's interesting reading all of the opinions and how we can hear the same people sing and draw such different conclusions. I see several people who said they actually liked Chikezie and I just can't STAND him anymore, and I thought he was awful. I am SO ready for him to go. PLEASE.

I do have to say that while he wasn't great last night, I was giddy that Jason sang "Michelle" - I was named after that song (middle name) and my sisters and mom used to sing it to me all the time as a kid. I felt like he was singing to me! I'll admit, I have a hardcore crush on him, can't help it.

Quite honestly, the only ones I am really interested in watching anymore are David C., Carly, Brooke, Michael J., Jason and David A. Oh and I will say this about David A. ... the whole "Golly gosh, they like me!" "Aw shucks" modesty routine thing is growing old, a la Melinda Doolittle. At first it's nice to see that they're humble and all of that, but then it just gets old and annoying. David is getting that way. He's just sugary sweet.

See ... I guess you're right there, but I am SO not interested in that genre that I pay no attention to it. I'd never even heard of that Bubble dude until he was on AI last year. And after I heard him sing I was glad that he was previously anonymous to me.
    You are so lucky you picked on Buble and not Josh Groban. We would have had words, mister!! Although I like Buble, too, but not nearly as much as I LOVE Josh.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the time you take in writing your reviews. I really enjoy them and like to read the different views.

I absolutely love the Beatles and was really looking forward to a good week. Instead, I was very disappointed in all of them. Even my favorite Brooke, let me down. Although David Cook's look kind of bothers me, and I can't put my finger on why, I think he was the best last night.

My bottom 3 are: Lilly Munster, Ramiele, and Michael (terrible - a masterpiece of pop music stuffed into a minute and a half - good thinking!)
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

And Kristy Lee Cockroach lives on... always in the bottom but never the boot-ee. I have to say that I'm actually thinking about going to the tour this year for the heck of it and I would've much rather had Amanda on there, despite the fact that she definitely isn't the best singer. She still entertains better than Kristy. But oh well. I was absolutely shocked to see Carly in the bottom.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

YES!!!

Thank you, America!

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    Oh and I will say this about David A. ... the whole "Golly gosh, they like me!" "Aw shucks" modesty routine thing is growing old, a la Melinda Doolittle.
    Yeah, that's a great analogy. He does remind me of Melinda from last year. Same vibe.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I have to say that I'm actually thinking about going to the tour this year for the heck of it and I would've much rather had Amanda on there, despite the fact that she definitely isn't the best singer.
    Hmmm let me see ... Lily Munster or Marcia Brady?

I think I'd take Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm let me see ... Lily Munster or Marcia Brady?

I think I'd take Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.
    Well, I actually love the Munsters.... and Maureen McCormick has a better singing voice and more stage presence than Kristy anyway so it's not even a fair comparison
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: