Quantcast Tipping Mousekeeping - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Tipping

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tip day-to-day

111 76.03%
  • Tip upon departure

19 13.01%
  • Don't tip at all

16 10.96%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We usually tip a dollar per person.

I also must agree with the people before me who have said this. It's fun to come back to your room and see the towel sculptures that they sometimes make for you.

From my recent trips I've gotten a bow-tie (not the greatest) from Wilderness Lodge, a Polynesian Doll from the Polly, and a swan from Carribbean Beach.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days, Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,-- One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will, To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
    -"Ulysses" A. Tennyson

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't count on have the same housekeeper each day. If you get excellent service you want to make sure that the person responcible is the one rewarded.
    It's not 'work' if your doing something you enjoy. Let's just say that I 'work' 5 days out of every 7.

And why do I work? So that I can take my family to WDW, silly goose!

00 - Swan
    03 - Caribbean Beach
    04 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    06 - POR
    07 - Contemporary
    08 - POR
    09 - POR
    2010 - Disney Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

We tip daily a $1.00 per person and if they go a little further with towel sculptures soaps etc... then we'll leave extra the next day. Generally, we write a little note on a napkin or paper never thought about taking a decorated envelope. This past stay the mousekeeper didn't do anything extra at POR but, we still left a tip.
    STEELER SUPERBOWL CHAMPS: 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, and 2008 !

[SIZE="1"]1978 OFF SITE CAMPING
    JUNE 2004 POR
    JULY 2005 POR
    AUGUST 2006 POR
    JUNE - JULY 2007 POR
    DEC 2008- JAN 2009 POR
    JUNE 2009 POR
    JUNE 2010 POR
    JANUARY 2011 POP CENTURY
    APRIL 2011 Planning Stages

Post Thanks / Like

We generally tip $1 per person daily, but usually leave an extra buck if we do the connecting rooms at a value. (2 DAdults, 3Dkiddies)
    We usually leave it in an envelope marked "Mousekeeping" and we will write a little thank you on there as well.
    Something like- "Thanks so much for the adorable towel animal"
    That usually keeps them coming.

Post Thanks / Like

We tip $1 a day per person, but staying at movies we didn't get towel animals and this past stay we didn't even get the mickey towel welcoming you to the room. We just figured it was because we didn't have any kids it was me
    (27) and my cousin (28). We were talking about how the diffrent kids that had to walk from the preferred rooms to non seeing all the towel animals and none being in the non preferred rooms.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

we tip 2$ per person in the room everyday - and we made up disney thank you cards which is where we put the money - we usually leave the card in the bathroom sink - how nice it is to come back to your clean room after a long day - not to mention the coolest ever washcloth animals
    playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

Post Thanks / Like

Our lst trip, we made up our Mousekeeping envelopes at home. DS's decorated with Disney stickers & I put in 1 for each of us per day ($4). Mousekeeping was lousy! I could tell they weren't doing a good job when I noticed a dead fly in the corner of the bathroom room for a couple of days! I know - Gross! Why didn't I pick it up? Well, I figured if I came back to this each day, they at least weren't doing a thorough job of cleaning the bathroom! We didn't get a single towel animal, although all of the rooms around us had them proudly displayed in their windows! We quit tipping, I hung the do not disturb card in the door & I was done! I now bring my own basic cleaning cleaning, fantastic, windex & papertowels on trips!

We'll start fresh this year & tip, but if we get the so so service again, I'm calling mousekeeping, for whatever good it will or won't do!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

My sister and I usually tip at the end of our stay.

However last year we stayed at WL and on week days our mousekeeper was great the room was always tidy and we loved the towel animals. So we left a tip just for that person.
    The mousekeeper at the weekend was different and the room stayed untidy and my sisters bedding even went missing and we had to ask for new. So no tip for that person.

I tip depending on the level and quality of service we get - bad service no tip.

I used to be a chambermaid (housekeeping) during university and I wouldn't expect a tip myself unless I was doing a great job.
    I have always found it odd that some people expect a tip just for showing up to work
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Smiles View Post
    ... some days I didn't think that housekeeping really deserved it. We had our one towel animal the first day - a leftover from the previous occupants and no others throughout our entire stay.
    Housekeeping was certainly not up to the standard of previous years - not even close. One day we returned to our room to find our kleenex box cover in the sink wet with no kleenex at all in the room. Our glasses were not replaced very often and when I called down to housekeeping for glasses and kleenex the CM on the other line was pretty darn RUDE.
    Our refrigerator was packed with ice. Maintenance came to fix it..........which resulted in a very wet carpet. We had to put towels on the carpet in front of the fridge. Housekeeping did not once pick up nor replace the wet dirty towels. Our room was not once dusted in our 17 days there. Garbage went unemptied along with other undone jobs. In 2006 our Mousekeeping Staff were the complete opposite - just AMAZING.
    I noticed from your footer that you stayed at Port Orleans....we had numerous problems with housekeeping on our last trip to that resort. Between that and the terrible bus service (took an hour or more to get to/from the parks every day), we swore we'd never stay there again. It's only deluxe resorts for us, from now on.

On tipping: as others have stated, if the room has been touched up, we leave $2 per day. We strictly tip based on the service we receive...if they do "extra" stuff (towel animals, change bed lines, etc.) we leave more.

Hope this helps!!

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I always tip day to day (about $2-$3) with a larger tip Day of Departure based on the overall service
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.themouseforless.com/downl...ekeeping.shtml

hope this link works, it has some nice envelopes to print out and make!

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest problem I have had with tipping mousekeeping is knowing how to get the tip to the person who did the good job. Not all cleanings are by any stretch equal. Some are very much superior. My understanding is that they don't share tips and you can, and likely do, get a different mouskeeper each day.

So, that strategy of at the end doesn't necessarily give it to the good mousekeeper and leaving a tip by day based on the previous day's effort doesn't necessarily give it to that person. Its the most confusing tip for service arrangement in the parks. I would like to give the approriate level tip to the person who gave that level of service but there doesn't seem to be a strategy to do that.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Last time I stayed at PO I managed to run into the same housekeeper in my area and directly outside my room. So I think you have the same one except for their days off or illness. I feel you just to have to go on faith & a little magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless the housekeeping is just horrible at Disney, which I hope it's not, I plan on tipping $5 each day. I mean, they are cleaning up after me and my family. Yuck! I don't even like to do it and I know us. I couldn't imagine cleaning other people's rooms. $5 a day is the least I can do. Now, I would probably be more inclined to tip even more if there were towel animals included! LOL I really want a couple of those things!

Post Thanks / Like

We tip every day. Funny how the maid service seems to get even better as the trip goes on. I guess you get what you pay for.
    2001 - Wilderness Lodge
    2003 - CBR
    2004 - POR/AKL
    2005 - POR
    2006 - AKL

2007 - Saratoga Springs
    2007 - Poly
    Feb 2008 - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

We have tipped both ways-with mousekeeping envelopes and a lump sum at the end of our stay. On our first trip, when we left the tip at the end of our stay, the service was phenomenal...towel animals almost every day, stuffed animals arranged on the bed watching television, notes from Mickey & Minnie etc. Our last trip, we had our daughter make adorable mousekeeping envelopes (tipped generously) and nada! Not a darn special thing was done to our room...we were very disappointed. It was obvious that it was my son's birthday...and nothing extra was done. I have always wondered if they had the mindset that we already have the money in the envelopes (each day was marked on the outside) and figured that they didn't have to earn it. I think we might tip at the end of the week this time, but leave the envelopes marked with each day, so maybe the envelope will end up with the appropriate mousekeeper. We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We are daily tippers, don't know if you get the same housekeeper each day. We leave a decorated envelope for mousekeeping, $1 per person/per day.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Default another mousekeeping question

I usually tip the day I check out, but after reading these posts, I plan on tipping daily for our next stay later this month.
    My question is, do you tip for the previous day in the morning before going about your park visits, or leave it the next morning for THAT day's service?
    For example, we're checking in late on a Friday (around 7 PM) and leaving the following Monday morning. Should I leave an envelope Saturday morning for that day's service in advance? Or wait until Sunday morn based on Saturday's cleaning? I'm a little stumped, but I'd like to be fair.

Thanks!

Jeani
    Last edited by snerd475; 01-08-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: clarification
    Check out my pics, maps and brochures from 1975 on my home page!

Post Thanks / Like

You've said it better than I did, snerd475, I like to be fair. Typically in restaurants and elsewhere, you tip extra for better service. What I was getting at is that there doesn't seem to be a way of doing that for mousekeeping. From reading the posts here, I guess there really isn't and that an equal tip a day is probably the best way.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

We tipped daily, $5 per day for 4 of us. I would recommend filling the envelopes with your intended amount before leaving for your trip, that way you aren't scrambling each night or morning to find small bills. It was super easy to just pull the already filled envelope out each morning as we were heading out the door.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: