Quantcast Space Mountain Rehab Rumours {Merged Threads}

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Space Mountain Rehab Rumours {Merged Threads}

Are there any new rumours about SM going down for re-furb in 2008? Or what they may do to it if it does?

I was checking out Disneyland-Paris website and youtube videos (we have been debating a trip over to visit friends in Europe) and I watched the SM : Mission 2 video from there. It would be awesome if they did that to the SM at WDW!!!!!
    Jessica

Next Up - Aug 09' Wilderness Lodge
    98-08 - Shades of Green
    80-97 - Poly, CR, ASSports and family Condo at Daytona Beach.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Rumours still have it going down for a major refurb in 2008 although there is still no information as to the extent of the refurb. I would expect an announcement at the next press event.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I was in Disneyland CA about a month ago, and THAT'S the Space Mountain they should bring to WDW. Granted, I have some great memories of the current SM. However, having just seen the Paris version, I'd be OK with either Mountain coming to WDW.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

From my inside sources it will be june 2008. It will be down at least a yr but with how disney moves it could be longer. The plans will include refurbing TTA at the same time. They are going to completely gutt out space and rebuild it. AND trust me SPACE NEEDS THE REFURB BAD!!!! 20 downtimes a day is not fun to work with

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it was screamscape that said Disney had a deal with rollercoaster manufacturer Vekoma(sp) to completely redo the track. It would be same layout as now. Ride vehicles would get onboard audio. New lighting effects ect. I have mixed feelings with this one. Our SM is the original, the classic. Hopefully it is done in the same spirit as the Haunted Mansion refurb. where the original still shines, and gets tweaked, or plussed where necessary. The walk-thru queue up to the load area could definitely get a facelift. The load area seems okay, maybe some updated lighting effects. The tunnel with the flashing blue lights before the lift hill MUST remain. A very unique effect to SM. Of course upgrade the light effect to LEDS or fiber optics of some sort, but leave the general effect as is. I would redo all of the show scenes around the lift hill. Again, don't change, just update with state of the art lighting and effects. Is it me, or has the light levels during the ride been increased? I say make it as dark as possible. That is what made SM the thrill that it is. It gives the sense of going much faster than you are. And again with what lighting technology is available, they could really add some eye popping effects during the ride, star fields, strobes, ect. The beauty of WDW's SM is that it has just enough kick too it to be fun, but not so much that it rattles your skull. Most people can enjoy it, unlike the hypercoasters that most people can't do, simply for health reasons. Hypercoasters have their place. I marvel at them...won't ride them...but marvel at them. Amazing to look at. So give us a SM tweaked, and plussed, but essentially the same, just enough thrill, that we all know and love.

Post Thanks / Like

When you've tried another SM like the one at DLR you know that it needs more than tweaking. Everything from the cars to the load area to the track is superior and would quickly make you forget the 'classic' WDW version. I would love to see a major rehab take place.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Default Space Mountain?

I love SM but I think we all know it needs a face lift (at least). I am excited about renovations to this classic ride and eager to hear more details when they are released. I will be visiting in a few weeks and will make a point to ride SM several times in case it closes this year. I hope it is not June as was mentioned since we are having a big family trip then. The SM fans in the group will be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

If you guys new what it took to actually run it you would understand why it needs more than a tweeking. The systems is very old. Efficient but old. When we have a slow guest or stupid kids who run towards a moving train, we go down. Its a quick reset but i gain muscles by pushing trains and running up stairs. If somethin else goes wrong and we have an auto estop then we have to evac and reset whole ride.
    It is sad when maintence is elated for this because it is far over do. It needs a better system to help deal with guests who need greater assistance and be able to push more ppl through an hour . Six ppl to a train is not much.
    I cant waiyt to see how much Space gets a face lift

Post Thanks / Like

Screamscape talking about 12-18 month rehab. Actually taking the roof off the building to accommodate taking out old track and replacing it. Load and unload would get major overhauls, and perhaps some big change to the exit ramp. Disneyland's SM is able to move an entire vehicle and the length of track it is on to the side, at the load area, to allow guests with disabilities to take whatever time they need to load. I would think WDW could achieve this as well. I would think here there would be space issues, and we would have to do this at load and unload, more costly.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up A new SM?

I agree with WorldsFair....we could definitely use an updated SM, but PLEASE don't take away the things that make it Classic Space Mountain. I will always LOVE the haunting entrance music and the blue launch lights. How about a loop? :P I hope the TTA still goes through it, too.
    Tim J. Cullen
    "If we can dream it, we really CAN do it."

1982 to Present-various trips with family and friends.
    Disney Vacation Club Member 1993-2000
    TWO Honeymoons! (2000 and 2008)
    Cast Member 1999-2001 (Epcot Science @ The Land/The Living Seas/Monorails)
    Fantasmic! Vendor 2000

Post Thanks / Like

Thats why tta is going down for refurb too .... to reconstruct it through space and possibly new theming for tta

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that sounds cool. I hate that such a staple of Tomorrowland FUN will be down for so long, but hopefully, HOPEFULLY, it will be for the better this time.
    Tim J. Cullen

Fantasmic! Vendor 2000

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's been time for a while now

As you can see by my member name, I've been a huge fan of SM since my first trip over 30 years ago. Over time, I'm not sure if it's my age, or the incredible coasters built elsewhere, or the aging of the original SM, but it's lost some of its luster.

I would love to see a total re-do of the ride. Faster, darker, modernized 'feel' of the interior both in line and during the ride (do they still have the quadraphonic sound on the initial down ramp into the ride?). It will be hard if it's not in service when I get back to DW, but if the renovations are comprehensive, it's worth it.
    "It's a girl! A girl? In the castle? She's the one...the one we have been waiting for!"

'74 Int'l Drive
    '83 FW
    '86 LBV
    '92 Offsite @ Christmas (never again!)
    '01 One day! :(
    '03 POFQ with my 2 DDs
    '08 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree Space Mountain Man. SM has always been a fond part of my WDW memories. The sounds, the music, and the clicking of the mechanics as you wait for the ride. I do, again, agree that I will be sad to see it "101" for so long, but I'm excited for what rises from the ashes of the old one.
    Tim J. Cullen

Fantasmic! Vendor 2000

Post Thanks / Like

Well from the person who happens to have space go 101 too many times ... i will not miss that. It will be nice to see it get refurbed
    attention space travelers all flights have been put in a holding patern. travelers in rockets please remain seated as ur flight will continue in a moment. those travelers awaiting departure please remain where you are and a host or hostess will direct you.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Wow....even your name says it. I have actually never had it go down when I have been on it. To me, that would be kind of cool.
    Tim J. Cullen

Fantasmic! Vendor 2000

Post Thanks / Like

I like it the way it is. I hope that its just updated, or maybe they plus it, but not really change it. If they totally change it they should just build a new roller coaster some were else and leave SM alone. What I wish they would refurb is river country.
    DEC 79 FW (TERRY TRAIL)
    JUN 81 FW TRAILER
    JUN 89 FW POP-UP
    DEC 90 FW POP-UP
    DEC 91 FW POP-UP
    JUN 91 FW POP-UP
    DEC 92 FW POP-UP
    NOV-DEC 98 FW POP-UP
    MAY 00 FW CABIN
    NOV-DEC 02 FW Tent
    NOV-DEC 03 FW 5er
    JAN 05 POP CENTURY
    NOV-DEC 05 FW 5er
    JAN 07 FW 5er
    NOV-DEC 07 FW Fifth Wheel

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I do agree that SM is great the way it is, but I am not afraid of change....wait, I take that back....Disney has made me a bit wary of changes, but what can they really do to SM that would make it lame, right?
    Tim J. Cullen

Fantasmic! Vendor 2000

Post Thanks / Like

It just needs to be updated with away to be able to handle guests with disabilities better so it doesnt go 101 as much as it does.... i dont think that they will take away from the ride and the integrity of it ... like give it loops and make it go super fast .... since its not that fast to begin with (thunder mountain goes faster than space) but update it so it can keep guest happy all dya long and not so many 101s
    attention space travelers all flights have been put in a holding patern. travelers in rockets please remain seated as ur flight will continue in a moment. those travelers awaiting departure please remain where you are and a host or hostess will direct you.

Post Thanks / Like

To make WDW's SM like the one in DLP, it would require a lot of extra room around the building, with a lot more effects than I think is possible, really. It is much like RnRC, with twists and loops, plus a really awesome "blast off". It would be down a whole lot longer than is rumored if they make it like DLP.

Now, if they made it like DLR, I would think it would totally change SM as we know it. I do not think the building would hold two loading areas and two tracks to be like the one at DLR, so they would need one track, plus the extra train to be off at the side to load the disabled and those needing extra time to load.

While I love the classic SM that it is now, after riding two other versions, it is pretty obvious that SM needs an update, just to be considered in the same league as the other SM's.

If it happens, the news will be big, like bigger than SSE refurb big.
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: