Quantcast Looking for a book for a Disney Lover

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for a book for a Disney Lover

I'm looking for a book for DH about Disney World for Christmas. We have all 3 of the Imagineers' Guides to the Parks. I was considering one of the haunted mansion books because that's his favorite ride. Can anyone recommend a good book for someone who loves the magic (and now wants to retire down there?)
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

How about the series about Peter Pan? I know that they are a kids series, but I read them and really enjoyed them (I am 38 ). There are 3 books to the series and I think one of the two authors last names is "Barry".

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a copy of "The Complete Walt Disney World" (Neal) a few months ago and have been devouring it ever since! It is WONDERFUL. Not only is it packed full of gorgeous full color pictures, but it gives back stories and trivia about the attractions. Love it!!!
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

There's a book about all of the Disney Mountains called "Imagineering at Its Peak" by Jason Surrell.

Also - a must have is the book about designing the parks and their attractions by JOhn Hench (but I can't think of the name since I"m not in front of my shelf.)
    Dec 2002, All Star Music (1 yr anniversary)
    Dec 2001, All Star Movies (honeymoon)

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

What about the Encyclopedia by Dave Smith or books about the man himself? I find Walt's life to be completely fascinating.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to recommend "Spinning Disney's World" by Charlie Ridgway .
    It's not strictly about WDW, but about all of the Disney Parks from the man who was Walt's "Press Secretary" and stayed on long after Walt dies. It's a great look behind the scenes at how many things in the parks came to be.
    It's not too long, but full of really cool details.
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendy*darling View Post
    I have to recommend "Spinning Disney's World" by Charlie Ridgway .
    It's not strictly about WDW, but about all of the Disney Parks from the man who was Walt's "Press Secretary" and stayed on long after Walt dies. It's a great look behind the scenes at how many things in the parks came to be.
    It's not too long, but full of really cool details.
    I'm glad to hear a review of this book, I just ordered it--another website was offering it at 40% off, and the author is supposed to sign it. With shipping I think it was about $17. Haven't gotten it yet, but it sounded interesting. Glad to hear you liked it!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

There is another fiction book about the MK, that is called Kingdom Keepers. It is a childrens book (Harry Potter Style and reading level), but I really enjoyed it. I will never look at the audioanimatronics at IASWAA quite the same.
    DDuck66
    Disney Veteran

2000- Once
    2001- Twice
    2002- Three Times
    2003- Three times
    2004 Twice
    2005 Twice
    2006- October and Christmas
    2007- The year of the annual pass!!!
    2008- Concierge at the POLY!!!!
    2009- Birthdays in January and March!!!!
    2010- Lots of trips..Too many to count!!

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of great Disney and WDW-related books which I own come to mind.

1) Walt Disney...The Triumph of the American Imagination, by Neal Gabler...the most complete biography on Walt I have ever read.

2) Since The World Began, by Jeff Kurtii...this is an older book, done mainly for the 25th anniversary, but it is a great read, nonetheless!
    Jerry

"I only hope we never lose sight of one thing..that it was all started by a mouse."--Walt Disney

Our favorite trip...the NEXT one!

Post Thanks / Like

I third "Spinning Disney's World" by Charles Ridgeway. When I bought this book Charles Ridgeway was there signing the book and I got to talk to him for a least an hour. He's such a fascinating man, and his book is just as fascinating!!!!! The things he got to see and do...amazing!!!!!! He's a lucky guy, and it shows in his book.

I have also read Kingdom Keepers (in fact I sold it on ebay and just mailed it off last night) and it's a good book for a childrens book. And yes...I will never look at IASW the same!!!!
    ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for all of the great tips! So many good choices to choose from.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I too really enjoyed "Since The World Began", but it is an older book.

I have been thinking about finding something new and I apprecitated the suggestions here.
    John/kmo84

Post Thanks / Like

I too have "Since The World Began" and it's a beautiful book! It is an older book but I just purchased mine last year online, & used, I think it was less than $10.00. It's in perfect condition! I have read so many books about WDW and in particular about Walt Disney the man. I can't get enough! But I 've read so many that I can't remember all of the titles. I check out a lot through the public library.

I love reading anything and everything about Disney. The next book that I intend to buy is "The Complete Walt Disney World". I have read many good things about this book. I have many touring guides, and books that I've bought in the parks, and we particularly love the trivia books about WDW! For a Disney fan, I'm sure that anything you give, will be enjoyed!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

If your husband doesn't mind reading a little fiction, Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson, the co-author of Peter and the Starcatchers, would be perfect. It has a ton of Disney facts mixed in with an interesting plot, and theres a sequel coming out soon (YAY!! ).
    There is another fiction book, but it probably wouldn't be right for your husband, but it might intrest others: Dream Factory by Brad Barkley and Heather Hepler. I think it's geared more towards women than men, but you never know...
    I've been going to WDW since birth, and now I work there.
    Proud Baton Twirler!
    "Oh look, my tax dollars at work coming to arrest me, " Reily Pool, NT2
    Go UCF and UF!

Post Thanks / Like

If you're DH is interested in a good critical view of WDW, there is a book called Vinyl Leaves (I think its available on Amazon) which is an excellent view of the world, from a definitely non-Disney point of view. It's a little old (2000), but, I think is still relevant. The author is realistic (as opposed to some Disney critiques) and enjoys WDW, but still points out a lot interesting things how the reality of WDW doesn't always jive with the fantasy that it is promoting.

Happy reading
    First visit 1971
    Annual pass member
    Visit 2005
    May 2005 become DVC Member!!!
    Last visit 2006
    Last minute 2007 trip (for my 50th Bday)
    January 1, 2010 for 8 days
    January 2, 2012 for 7 days!!
    November, 2013, quick trip
    October 2014 1st time with future son-in-law

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above post about The Complete Walt Disney World. It is a great book. The pictures are fantastic. It has great tips and interesting facts about most of the attractions. My family has really enjoyed it.
    "Tomorrow's child... seeing that knowledge keeps growing"
    Over 20 WDW trips and counting.
    Resorts stayed at: The Disney Inn, Swan, POR, CS, YC, CB, Contemp., Poly, GF, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

FYI....A new edition of Since The World Began is due out March of 2008...It is to be titled, "Walt Disney World...Then, Now, and Forever." It's by the same author, Jeff Kurtii.
    Jerry

"I only hope we never lose sight of one thing..that it was all started by a mouse."--Walt Disney

Our favorite trip...the NEXT one!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there fellow WDW retiree. (DH & I are going there also after DD goes off to college). Complete WDW (Neal) is wonderful). If he's into video, go online to Discovery Channel or Travel Channel to get most excellent dvds about WDW. (I really liked the "Modern Marvels" on Discovery and "Ultimate WDW" on Travel Channel. Also, Barnes & Nobles has a good WDW selection. Hope these help!
    1975 - Off site
    1980 - Golf Resort
    1981 - Poly
    1982 - CT
    1983 - Poly
    1989 - CBR
    1998 - CBR
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

I second the Peter Pan books (first one is Peter and the Starcatchers). My husband read them and loved them, so I have started to read them too.

They aren't WDW, but still about beloved Disney characters!

Oh, and of the authors is Dave Barry (the comedian).
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm throwing another book title into the mix:
    Realityland: True-Life Adventures at Walt Disney World by David Koenig.

My DH and I have been reading this together, and the facts in it are so interesting. It is just amazing to see all of the challenges that Walt Disney overcame to make WDW happen.
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: