Quantcast Disney wants Epcot lawsuit dismissed

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney wants Epcot lawsuit dismissed

Disney wants Epcot lawsuit dismissed
    It says a company hired to design a ride has shown no evidence of harm.

Sophia Pearson
    Bloomberg News
    November 20, 2007

The Walt Disney Co. asked a judge to throw out a Pennsylvania company's lawsuit about the technology behind its Mission: Space ride, saying there's no evidence of wrongdoing.

Environmental Tectonics Corp. sued in 2005 claiming Disney disclosed confidential information about the ride and falsely took credit for its development. The company, hired by Disney to design the ride, hasn't shown any evidence that it has been harmed, Disney attorney Laurence Shiekman said at a hearing in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia.

"I think it would be a complete waste of judicial resources and time to permit this case to go to trial," Shiekman said Monday during the hearing.

Disney contracted with Environmental Tectonics, based in Southampton, Pa., in 1998 to design the ride at Epcot at Walt Disney World. Environmental Tectonics, which makes aircrew training systems, designed a ride with gondolas on rotating arms, using its flight-simulator technology. The company claims Disney disclosed its arm design to others, including competitors, without permission.

Environmental Tectonics was unable to complete the project on budget or on time, forcing Disney to take over and negotiate a new deal in November 2001, Shiekman said. Nothing Disney later sent to about 20 subcontractors had been identified by Environmental Tectonics as confidential, Shiekman said.

"After Nov. 15, Disney took over from ETC the responsibility of finishing the ride. ETC knew that," Shiekman said. "ETC never did anything to try to stop it. They never did anything that someone who's being harmed would have done."
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

1) I am sure Disney wants all of its lawsuits dismissed.
    2) Especially the multi-million dollar ones they have lost.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) I am sure Disney wants all of its lawsuits dismissed.
    2) Especially the multi-million dollar ones they have lost.
    You said it.

It's not like they haven't been caught stealing people's ideas before.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

While it is true that Disney has lost some very public lawsuits about theft of ideas it is also true that they have won or had thrown out many of those exact same kind of lawsuits.

It is also true that many of these kind of lawsuits hinge on very technical issues which makes it very difficult for individuals like us to form an accurate opinion about the cases. It is also hard to form a fair opinion about these cases because much of what happens falls into that realm of "he said-she said" kind of thing. As a result a lot of it comes down to who do we believe more. And let's face it, we are all generally more likely to believe the little guy rather than a giant like Disney.

My point is, let's not rush to judgment on these cases because there is so much we can never know about the case.

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, of course, Jasper.

I should really clarify what I meant. I was referring strictly to the title of the thread which reads, "Disney wants Epcot lawsuit dismissed .. "

Like Scup, I found that kinda funny since ... well ... DUH!

But in terms of this particular suit, I've read the details and it seems questionable to me, at best. I agree totally that it's not much more than "he said/she said."
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Tectonics couldn't "get er done" as they say, on time or under budget as the contract stated they had to. So now they want to recover some of their lost expenses on this failed project obviously. I predict they will be bancrupt and defunct within a year after this suit is tossed. Poor management driving a decent company into the ground. Just another frivolous lawsuit making the lawyers richer...
    DVC Member SSR
    SSR Apr 08
    AS Movies Apr 07

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that has struck me as odd about this lawsuit is the idea that somehow the technology involved in this is truly unique. After all there has been talk and even photos of centrifuge technology being used by NASA and the military since at least the 1950's and maybe even before that. I just wonder what technology this company had that was actually protected information?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    . . . I just wonder what technology this company had that was actually protected information? . . .
    1) I have (11) patents.
    2) I have (28) applications for patents denied.
    3) You would be surprised as to
    . . . what does qualify for a patent
    . . . what does not qualify for a patent
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I just wonder what technology this company had that was actually protected information?
    I would love to fill you in, but it's proprietary.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I just wonder what technology this company had that was actually protected information?

If I told you, I would have to kill you. Hee-hee!
    Last edited by Cinderelley; 11-24-2007 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Forgot the smilie
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Default article is pointless

The first step any lawyer does in a case is try to get it dismissed on grounds of a lack of merit so it doesn't have to go to court. The reporter is making a mountain out of a molehill and doesn't understand anything about reporting legal cases.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: