Quantcast Trading Spaces CANCELLED

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Trading Spaces CANCELLED

From Variety:

TLC is giving "Trading Spaces" an extreme makeover -- bringing back former host Paige Davis and enlisting the brains behind "Hell's Kitchen" to revive a show that was once a ratings powerhouse on cable.
    A. Smith & Co. has replaced current "Trading" production shingle Banyan Prods. as producers of the home redecorating format, which TLC plans to relaunch as early as January. Move, along with TLC's recent purchase of the Miss America franchise, is part of a major overhaul of the net being planned by new prexy-G.M. Angela Shapiro-Mathes.

Davis left the show two years ago. Her departure -- along with a glut of copycat cable makeover shows -- led to declining ratings for "Spaces," which at its zenith was the No. 1 cable show on Saturday nights. One episode even drew 9 million viewers, outdrawing the major broadcast nets.

Shapiro-Mathes said reviving "Spaces" has been a priority since she started at the net earlier this year.

"When you say TLC to anybody, 'Trading Spaces' is still the show most people connect with (the network), because it was so huge," she said.

Exec compared TLC's handling of the franchise to ABC's decision to maximize exposure for "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" when that quizzer was red-hot. Cabler tried a variety of brand extensions for "Spaces" and aired it frequently -- just as rival nets sent in the clones.

"It was no longer unique, it didn't have a clean format and it didn't have a host that said 'Trading Spaces' to the audience," Shapiro-Mathes said.

Shapiro-Mathes said her new senior VP of programming, Brant Pinvidic, suggested going after Davis, a move that led to bringing in A. Smith & Co. -- and parting ways with Banyan.

"They did an incredible job keeping the show on the air for so long," she said, adding that TLC is working with Banyan on other projects.

As for A. Smith & Co., Shapiro-Mathes said the shingle has "the sensibility and the experience" to put a new spin on "Spaces."

Skein will maintain much of its original format. Two teams will still perform makeovers on the other's rooms, with a budget of $1,000.

"The big difference will be in the casting," exec producer Arthur Smith said. "People want to be more vested in the people they're seeing. The couples may not be next-door neighbors all the time."

Indeed, Smith -- who will exec produce with Kent Weed and Frank Sinton -- said the show might now focus on a divorced couple or dueling mothers-in-law.

"You might have a little more conflict and drama than you had before," Weed said.

That doesn't mean Davis will start calling people donkeys or cursing them out, a la "Hell's Kitchen" chef Gordon Ramsay.

"We want to protect the things that made the show popular in the first place," Smith said. "It'll still be heartwarming."

In addition to Davis, a number of designers are returning to the skein, including Doug Wilson, Laurie Hickson-Smith, Frank Bielec and Hildi Santo-Thomas.

"This feels like a great big reunion," Davis said.

After leaving "Spaces," Davis inked a development deal with King World Television (now CBS Paramount) and returned to her theater roots, starring in "Chicago" and "Sweet Charity."
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I quit watching when they got rid of Paige, and I was addicted to the show for a long time while she was on. I will check it out again and see if any of the old magic is there again. I hope it is a good thing for Paige.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

My whole family was addicted to Trading Spaces when Paige was on. It just wasn't the same when she left and we slowly stopped watching it. I hope they don't get too carried away with the "drama"(fighting mother-in-laws, etc). I liked it simple and fun. I'm glad they're bringing her back!
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

This is just one of those odd coincidences ...

Just this past Sunday night we were watching some house show and I asked DW, "What ever happened to Paige Davis?"

Now I know!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I quit watching when she left also, so it will be nice to have her back. Glad to see them making things right
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped watching when they dropped Paige. It really irked me. I'm excited she's coming back and will probably watch again. She really makes the show work for me. The hostless format was a big bust.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    This is just one of those odd coincidences ...

Just this past Sunday night we were watching some house show and I asked DW, "What ever happened to Paige Davis?"

Now I know!
    WOW! Are you sure you weren't at our house this past week-end? My hubby just asked me the same question and I had to give him a lame "I think she's doing something in theater".

So glad to see Paige coming back. We only watched one time after the change and have not been interested in TS since.

I'm also happy to see Frank will be back........that's who our Frank The Cat was named after. If you've ever had a chance to hear his back story he is a very remarkable man.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad Paige is coming back, I stopped watching shortly after she left.

I'm not sure I need "the drama," divorced couples, MILs etc. I liked the show the way it was, sometimes everyone was happy and other times they weren't, that was enough drama for me.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Martinsville, IN 15 hrs. 22 min, 970 mi. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Paige is back - now I can start watching again! I just love her & Frank! Hildie is a hoot.
    December 2012 - Pop - All Girl I Wanna Go What's One More Trip
    October 2009 - POR - Grand Gathering
    Dec. 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
    August 2006 - Pop Century
    October 2005 - Pop Century

Nov. - Dec. 2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2002 - Ft. Wilderness Campground - Family Reunion Trip

Post Thanks / Like

HURRAY!!!!

Like many others, we quit watching around the time Paige left the show. They started messing around with the format, too, and we didn't like it.

I hope they return to something similar to the original - I've really missed watching!

Tammy

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to hear that!! I also quit watching it when they got rid of Paige - actually, I was wondering if Trading Spaces was still even on because I never heard anything about it! I'll definitely have to check it out again!
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I like most others quit watching after Paige left. I tuned in a few times to the show after she left but it just wasn't the same.
    I hope this will help the show. I will tune in again especially if it goes the way it sounds!
    Bonnie
    Oct '89 Comfort Inn and CBR
    Nov '92 Comfort Inn and DixieLandings
    Feb '96 Comfort Inn
    Feb '98 All Star Sports (Tennis)
    Feb '04 Disney Cruise, Pop Century (50's)

Post Thanks / Like

Another for Paige's return. We also quit the show after she left - there just wasn't any spark there. Hopefully she will rejuvenate the show and make it popular again.
    "Believe me, it's the most exciting and challenging assignment we have ever tackled at Walt Disney Productions."
    Walt Disney speaking on the future Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

I too stopped watching when Paige was ousted, and now I can't wait to start watching again! Yay!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what an overwhelming response!! I wondered what others would think of this and now I know. Oh, and I do agree with all the positive comments about bringing Paige back to the show!!!

So, one thing I have never been clear about; did she chose to leave the show or did the show dump her? And the next obvious question is; what was her/the show's reason for making the change. Yes, I know what she went on to do, but I am just wondering why the decision was made in the first place-inquiring minds want to know!! (I just love that old school tag line.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    So, one thing I have never been clear about; did she chose to leave the show or did the show dump her? And the next obvious question is; what was her/the show's reason for making the change. Yes, I know what she went on to do, but I am just wondering why the decision was made in the first place-inquiring minds want to know!! (I just love that old school tag line.)
    I remember reading an article in Entertainment Weekly or TV Guide (can't remember) that outlined the resons for Paige's departure. From what I know TLC (or in this case, Banyan Productions) wanted to go in a different direction and their vision of the "new and improved" Trading Spaces didn't involve a host, so they gave Paige the boot. They wanted to focus on the homeowners more, and I suppose they thought the host detracted from that. But it turned out the designers and carpenters took over most of what Paige used to do anyway. I think this was also when they added the "secret room" that had $2000 budgets and added about 3 new designers (who I thought were all ). I'm actually surprised Paige agreed to come back, especially after being asked to leave in the first place.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

I loved this show and stopped watching when Paige left and they changed the format and it became the Hildy/Doug show. It lost its spark. But if they revive it with Paige, I will probably go back to watching it. I always wondered if it was her idea to leave. I have seen her in several other shows and excerpts from some of her Broadway shows but think she makes a better design host. I just have a hard time picturing her singing and dancing. She is a hoot though. I will go back to watching the new one to see what has been changed.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

I loved Trading Spaces when Paige was on there. I HATE the format that they have now and only watch when there is nothing else on to watch. I wish that they would bring Vern back. He and Lori are my favorites! I love their style. I actually got to meet him in Atlanta and get my picture taken with him a few years ago! I was so excited.

to bringing Paige back!

'90~Grosvner Hotel
    '94~Shades of Green
    '03~Off property
    '05~Off property
    '06~youth trip off property
    '06~All Star Movie Resort

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever."
    ~ Tinkerbell

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped watching because of her leaving. I will surely be back to watching again!! Yeah Paige!
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

We watched it for a while...but then I just got tired of it. I will check it out though when they get the old gang back...to bad they can't get Ty back
    **Last Visits**

Feb 23 Fort Wilderness
    Nov 22 Hilton Tuscany Village (During Hurricane)
    Sep 22 Dolphin Hotel
    May 22 Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort

**Scheduled Visits**

Mar 23 Undecided
    Jun 23 Fort Wilderness

Twitter: MouseFacts

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: