Quantcast Disney Dining Experience Program Changes - Page 11

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyatic View Post
    I 100% agree with Ian, I would rather have seen the price increase and the tip still be included so that the plan still offered the ease of everything being paid in advance.
    That was the main advantage of the plan for us, having everything already paid for and the only thing we needed to worry about was having money for souvenirs!
    DITTO! And I'd willingly pay twice as much for the kids DP if they had kid portions of the adult menu options.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyatic View Post
    I 100% agree with Ian, I would rather have seen the price increase and the tip still be included so that the plan still offered the ease of everything being paid in advance.
    That was the main advantage of the plan for us, having everything already paid for and the only thing we needed to worry about was having money for souvenirs!
    I also agree.

One note regarding the premise that everyone can just charge tips to their room which I've read in some other posts: That will only work under the assumption that everyone is staying on-site.

Also, this new change shoots one of the "espoused advantages" to the change to the 2008 DDP, which was ostensibly so that the wait staff would once again have an incentive for exemplary service.

Another thing, am I the only person who feels that paying 18% at a buffet (like Hollywood & Vine) for a server who brings me drinks is a rip-off???

The ONLY benefit I am seeing to all the changes...advanced dining reservations should get very easy to attain 2008 for those willing to succumb to the structure and mandates that Disney is kindly calculating and providing to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    One note regarding the premise that everyone can just charge tips to their room which I've read in some other posts: That will only work under the assumption that everyone is staying on-site.
    I believe the discussion of charging tips to their room began as a response to this post:
    The whole idea of the dining plan to me at least seemed to be a way to pre-pay for the dining and not having to worry about carrying money around with you. Wait until people realize they have to leave a tip, have no cash or credit card, what will Disney do make you dress up as Goofy and do the dishes.
    In order to be eligible for the DDP, you must be staying onsite.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like everyone (nearly everyone) is unhappy about the changes? What are you going to do about it?

Anyone called or emailed?
    1985 - off site
    1989 - Caribbean Beach
    1996 - All Star Music (honeymoon)
    2005 - All Star Movies (first time with kiddos)
    2006 - Disneyland
    2006 - Pop Century (with the grandparents)
    2008 - Saratoga Springs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adamsfam5 View Post
    Sounds like everyone (nearly everyone) is unhappy about the changes? What are you going to do about it?

Anyone called or emailed?
    I think you ought to read the whole thread before you ask a question like that LOL

Not only have we called and emailed, but many of us got answers, which is why we aren't so uppity about it anymore....
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTreeGal View Post
    I think you ought to read the whole thread before you ask a question like that LOL

Not only have we called and emailed, but many of us got answers, which is why we aren't so uppity about it anymore....
    Not entirely true...
    I'm still upset about the DDE requirement and have emailed yet again!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quite frankly, I think it's really greedy pure and simple.

I had read somewhere that the waiters at Disney had to claim all of their tip income (oh, my heart bleeds...) on their taxes because it was almost all reportable income due to the invention on the DDP.
    Now I just think it's greed on all ends. People really liked the dining plan for the convience and the servers were making out well on every table. I can tell you that if any server encountered my wicked sister-in-law they would only get a buck or two in a tip, no matter how much the bill was.
    We were lucky to be able to go to WDW twice this year, but it may be a long time before we can go back.
    I hope this issue resolves itself. Like any other company, Disney will tweek their product until their profits reflect that people are annoyed.
    FYI~ I just read that Disney posted record profits for this past quarter.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Does wicked SIL eat more than once at any restaurant

Post Thanks / Like

To add insult to injury, let's also not forget about the new Holiday Surchage that will apply to buffets during the upcoming holiday seasons.

Turkey Week - Nov 18th - Nov 24
    Santa Weeks - Dec 16 - Jan 5
    Bunny Weeks - Mar 16 - Mar 29
    Memorial Months - May 25 - Jul 5

Expect an additional $4 per seat added to your bill. Currently it appears this is just buffets, BUT I can't imagine this not also applying to regular TS locations as well.

I really do wish they would grab me by the ankle and shake me upside down at park entry to get all my money. At least they would tell me it's a new ride and I would think I was getting my money's worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Default We are rapidly getting over Disney and it's solely their fault.

I am all for emailing to voice displeasure with whatever the subject may be and I've done it many times but Disney isn't going to change anything as long as they get more money. However, we can all speak VOLUMES with our wallets. If they want to speak in numbers only, we as the customers can easily be in the drivers seat. Disney is taking power from our hands so I am choosing to take (at least my family's) money from theirs in the dining arena. Does Disney not realize the multitude of dining options that abound right outside their doors? Those places would LOVE to take any dissatisfied Disney business and we'd be charged lower prices to boot! Do they think we are so completely enamored with the TS options that we will just "get over it" and go along with anything they want no matter what they try to force on us? Get over yourself Disney. We always eat all of our meals on property with at least 1 TS meal per day but that will no longer be the case.There will be no TS plans for us on our next trip, we'll be going off-property for all our larger, expensive meals. WE are the customers, we get to choose where our money goes and how much of it too. If enough people take this stance we will see changes because they will have no choice. Once the bottom line shows a negative change, trust me, they'll change. Take the power from us Disney? We can take our business from you. We aren't nearly as powerless as you think.
    We're almost complete...
    Disney Magic
    Polynesian
    Coronado Springs
    Caribbean Beach
    Port Orleans
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club
    Wilderness Lodge
    Grand Floridian
    Contemporary
    Dixie Landings
    Animal Kingdom
    Boardwalk
    AS Sports/Music/Movies
    Pop Century
    Disney Institute
    Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    I hope this issue resolves itself. Like any other company, Disney will tweek their product until their profits reflect that people are annoyed.
    FYI~ I just read that Disney posted record profits for this past quarter.
    Julie
    It's just like all big companies, they want to make profits but not just small profits but record profits every year and it's just sad. It's all about the almighty dollar but the U.S. dollar ain't that mighty these days.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frakers View Post
    I am all for emailing to voice displeasure with whatever the subject may be and I've done it many times but Disney isn't going to change anything as long as they get more money. However, we can all speak VOLUMES with our wallets. If they want to speak in numbers only, we as the customers can easily be in the drivers seat. Disney is taking power from our hands so I am choosing to take (at least my family's) money from theirs in the dining arena. Does Disney not realize the multitude of dining options that abound right outside their doors? Those places would LOVE to take any dissatisfied Disney business and we'd be charged lower prices to boot! Do they think we are so completely enamored with the TS options that we will just "get over it" and go along with anything they want no matter what they try to force on us? Get over yourself Disney. We always eat all of our meals on property with at least 1 TS meal per day but that will no longer be the case.There will be no TS plans for us on our next trip, we'll be going off-property for all our larger, expensive meals. WE are the customers, we get to choose where our money goes and how much of it too. If enough people take this stance we will see changes because they will have no choice. Once the bottom line shows a negative change, trust me, they'll change. Take the power from us Disney? We can take our business from you. We aren't nearly as powerless as you think.
    It makes me sad, but I agree. It might be time to consider the possibility that WDW won't be an annual destination for my family's vacations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    It makes me sad, but I agree. It might be time to consider the possibility that WDW won't be an annual destination for my family's vacations.
    Ditto and I also agree. I also think Disney knows this and is doing it on purpose. The TS restaurant's are almost fully booked throughout the year. They need to throw cold water on it to slow it down and maximize effectiveness. I've experienced and read numerous complaints about how the service is slipping. That could be because they are running at 100% capacity for too long. I think they do want to reduce the number of diners hitting the TS restaurants. To do that, they have to make it less attractive. I see it like a golf course. Is a TS supposed to be like a public course, getting overplayed and abused, or would they rather have it like a country club, limited play and maximize the experience...
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    It's just like all big companies, they want to make profits but not just small profits but record profits every year and it's just sad. It's all about the almighty dollar but the U.S. dollar ain't that mighty these days.
    What else would we expect it to be about? Disney is a business.

I guess it would really be a magical place if they were not concerned with profits.... but then they wouldn't stay in business very long.

DDP is still an option, not an entitlement. If it works for you, great. If not, don't buy it. Seems simple enough to me. Certainly not something I'll choose to get upset, or hostile, about.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Is a TS supposed to be like a public course, getting overplayed and abused, or would they rather have it like a country club, limited play and maximize the experience...
    Interesting you put it this way, since the 18% surcharge is directed towards the folks they extended a DDE Membership invitation to - Florida Residents and Passholders. If they were trying to throw water on TS dining to slow it down, I would have guessed that they would have simply terminated the DDE - or the DDP - or both.

I can see how reducing the DDP as they have will slow down TS meals . . . but I honestly don't see what adding 18% automatically to the DDE will do, except anger their membership. Heck, it's not like the membership is free . . . That being said, I would still like a CHOICE on what to tip my servers.

Perhaps buffet dining among these members will go down (or not), and lounge visits may decline a bit (18% surcharge per drink?) but I don't believe a majority of cardholders will drop the program. After all, you're talking about people who visit frequently or for extended periods of time.

We've determined that DDE between 2006 and 2007 for our two trips easily saved us over $500. There may have been one or two circumstances where we tipped under 20%, but those instances were far and few in between (I think both times were at Ohana in '06). While I can't stand the idea of Disney mandating a tip schedule, the DDE is saving me a bunch of money - enough to buy an A/P and then some!

I'll be curious to see how it plays out. I really don't expect them to change their recently broadcast e-mail - although I did send a vehement letter to them stating that I object to the mandated surcharge on my bill. But will it terminate my relationship with Disney? No. As stated, the DDE is still saving me a ton of money.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    What else would we expect it to be about? Disney is a business.

I guess it would really be a magical place if they were not concerned with profits.... but then they wouldn't stay in business very long.

DDP is still an option, not an entitlement. If it works for you, great. If not, don't buy it. Seems simple enough to me. Certainly not something I'll choose to get upset, or hostile, about.
    I know that's what it's about. I was just saying it's all about getting RECORD PROFITS. It shouldn't be about how to squeeze every last penny out of everyone.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

we are DD members through our annual pass and have been for a number of years. Do I like having the 18% added to my bill? I really don't mind at all. We always tipped 20%. 2 of our children have worked as servers at some very exclusive restaurants and were jipped out of tips on numerous occasions by people who could afford to leave a tip. Most people tip the server even when they could have done a better job serving but it is the few that always spoil it for the many in any situation in life. Will I stop bying the DD card? No I will continue to get it every year. No matter what we still end up saving money in the long run.
    6/85 - Offsite
    12/86 - DI
    8/88 -1/98-5/00 DLR - Offsite
    12/91 - CR
    11/93 - FWC
    1/99 - POFQ
    9/99 - CSR
    1/02 - CB/PR
    1/03 - BCV
    12/03 - DCL/BCV
    10/04 -10/08 SSR
    5/05 - PR
    1/06 - WL
    5/06 - GC - DLR
    11/06 - POFQ
    2/07 DLH- DL
    11/07 BWV/POR
    5/08 OKW/VB

5/09 AK/VB
    10/09 GF

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously the DDE isn't an entitlement, why would we pay for an entitlement?
    It was an option for us to purchase the DDE card when we did, in September. However, Disney changed the plan that we bought in to. If we had known they were going to announce this change less than 2 months into our membership, we would not have purchased the DDE. Also, I hate to tell you this but just wait, the next step will be making that mandatory 18% fee for all TS meals. They started by dropping the DDP tip, now adding this on the DDE, so next will be that all TS meals will include this, essentially, non-negotiable charge. I think some folks are thinking we are bothered by having to tip 18% and that's far from the truth. Our objection is Disney deciding for us how we should compensate our servers for services not even yet rendered and us having no say-so in the matter.
    We're almost complete...
    Disney Magic
    Polynesian
    Coronado Springs
    Caribbean Beach
    Port Orleans
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club
    Wilderness Lodge
    Grand Floridian
    Contemporary
    Dixie Landings
    Animal Kingdom
    Boardwalk
    AS Sports/Music/Movies
    Pop Century
    Disney Institute
    Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

I read a large portion of the 11 pages of posts to this thread and II'm still not sure if this applies to out of pocket customers? Can someone let me know.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I read a large portion of the 11 pages of posts to this thread and II'm still not sure if this applies to out of pocket customers? Can someone let me know.
    The automatic 18 percent gratuity applies only to guests using the Disney Dining Experience card. I think everybody was confused when the news first broke a few days ago.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: