Quantcast Media comps?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media comps?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Media comps?

I work for a local Tv station and hear that I can request tickets and they may possibly give you free lodging. Does anyone know what criteria you need to qualify for lodging or any extra perks from the resort? I would like to know before I call the number on WDWnews.com so I know what to ask for.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

i would call 407-w-disney and ask. Can't hurt
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Comp tickets are practically impossible to get unless you are an on air talent in a ranked market... and as far as lodging goes - you can pretty much forget about that...
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Comp tickets are practically impossible to get unless you are an on air talent in a ranked market... and as far as lodging goes - you can pretty much forget about that...
    I will echo what John said. Several years ago it was much easier to get comp tickets, and I was able to get them on several occasions, but Disney has cracked down on that, and made them harder to get. In addition to on air talent, I know that assignment desk people and photographers were allowed to get tickets at one time, but not sure if that has changed. Usually the tickets that they did give were for one maybe two days at most.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile other info

I found this info that may help you.
    Q. What are your policies regarding theme park tickets and hotel accommodations for journalists?
    A. Please contact the manager responsible for your medium and market by using the Find Your Disney Contact button shown above. Alternately, you can call Walt Disney World Public Relations at (407) 566-6397 during regular business hours in the Eastern time zone.

All requests must be made at least two weeks in advance.

Hope it helps and enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

I usually get comp tickets at least once a year. You will need to give names in your party, and dates of trip. Disney will give you a one day one park ticket per person in your group, up to 4 I think. Depends on how generous they feel. In the last couple of years, they have upgraded our tickets to one day park hoppers. This past trip I got a one day park hopper for my fiance and her two daughters as well as myself.

It's been a great help for sure. I don't think I've ever heard about them doing lodging, unless you are doing a story on the park, etc. That would be my guess.

What market are you in?
    Fan of the Man

VMK: PolarBearSnorkel

Disneyland 1981
    Disneyworld 1983
    DTD Hotel 7/04
    DT Orl. 12/04
    POR 1/06
    Pop 1/07
    SS 9/07
    Disney Wedding 4/08

Post Thanks / Like

I've never requested Disney World tickets, but I got comp tickets for Disneyland last year no problem -- and some of my coworkers have also gotten them for WDW. I called the number and was given a fax number -- then I just faxed in my request. The person I talked to on the phone told me I could request either Disneyland, California Adventure *or* a parkhopper. All I needed was my business card to pick them up at guest relations.

It's my understanding that you can request up to 4 comp tickets in a 12-month period, but that can be either 4 tickets for one day or one-ticket each for 4 separate days.

(And I'm not an on-air talent; I'm a producer ... strictly off-air!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sgundell View Post
    It's my understanding that you can request up to 4 comp tickets in a 12-month period, but that can be either 4 tickets for one day or one-ticket each for 4 separate days.

(And I'm not an on-air talent; I'm a producer ... strictly off-air!)
    That sounds about right. I've gotten two tickets twice in a year.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I am sorry and don't mean to be so negative, but on air personalities can probably afford the tickets. It is the working class/blue collar people that struggle and save every dime for their trip. Disney should throw some tickets our way sometimes. I'm sorry, but this just frustraits me.
    jen
    ASM Sept. 2009 for 20th Anniversary
    PORS Oct 2007
    PORS Oct 2005 with Aunt and Uncle
    AKL Oct 2004
    ASSp Oct 2003
    ASM Oct 2002
    Off Prop. Oct 2000

Post Thanks / Like

I understand what you are saying, and I don't know if you are in the business or not, but you'd be surprised what TV people make for a living. It's not the glitz and glam that most suspect.

Starting salaries are around 18K for most reporters breaking into the biz. Of course there are those anchors who break into six and seven figures, but thats pretty rare, with the exception of very large cities.

Fan of the Man

VMK: PolarBearSnorkel

Disneyland 1981
    Disneyworld 1983
    DTD Hotel 7/04
    DT Orl. 12/04
    POR 1/06
    Pop 1/07
    SS 9/07
    Disney Wedding 4/08

Post Thanks / Like

Default Totally agree!!!

I am the SNG Engineer and I seem to do more physical work for the news than anyone else. Since Disney owns plenty of news stations I hope they recognize this and give a nice kickback to the little guy! I have been in news for a few years now and still cant afford to go to DW. Luckily my wife has a confrence at Universal and we got her airfare and two days lodging for free or this trip would never happen.

Thanks for all the info. Cant hurt to try I guess!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martinfamily5 View Post
    Okay, I am sorry and don't mean to be so negative, but on air personalities can probably afford the tickets.
    1. Think again, we're not all Howard Stern and Tom Brokaw

2. It's a simple trade off, Disney thinks the more media people go to WDW, the more media people talk about WDW, it's business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martinfamily5 View Post
    Okay, I am sorry and don't mean to be so negative, but on air personalities can probably afford the tickets. It is the working class/blue collar people that struggle and save every dime for their trip. Disney should throw some tickets our way sometimes. I'm sorry, but this just frustraits me.
    Ok, now I am confused. I agree, (Fill in your favorite Network News Anchor's name here) and the rest of the high priced on air talent should ante up the price of a one day ticket when they plan to attend. I am betting however most of them probably never do. Possible reasons they would give:
    1) I might say something someday about your company on the air ... so you have to treat me special, or
    2) If I had to wait in line at Space Mountain for 20 minutes instead of being shuttled to the front ... just think of the mob scene my adoring fans might cause, or
    3) Imagine the back up at Cosmic Rays when I have to buy my own lunch ... and they can't break a $1,000 bill??

So for very good reasons, the high price talent get comps. Can't you see that it is for the good of the common person?

But you make the counter argument, that the working class people surely could use the break more than the super rich. Sure, apply that financial needs based logical approach to the situation .... How do you expect anyone to dispute your points if your going to use nothing but facts.

Given that the needy could use a break, I must ask however ... why is someone who works in a TV station any more deserving of a "comp" than the person working at McDonalds, Wachovia Bank, Macy's or any other employer?? I know, starting broadcast people work hard for not much pay .... but compaired to the teller, or the counter service person, or even a sales person at a dept store??? Not sure who works harder or gets paid less.

If Disney owns your station, and has an "employee perk" price, then that would be a benefit of working there, and great for you. If Disney doesn't own your station, then in effect you are a competitor of Disney, and wouldn't it be strange to offer bonus perks to your competition??? Try using your Dillard's employee discount at Macy's sometime.

Guess the bottom line in my book is .... Disney sets the prices for its offerings. It actually does an amazing job of segmenting the market with AS resorts up to the GF. If you choose to save and go, great. If it is too much to go often .... then you just don't go often. Don't mean to dispell any "Santa Clause" approach to the world, but it kinda works that way .... things have prices, and more desirable things usually cost more.

I would be disappointed if Disney gave a break to a maintanence person at a radio station, while telling a maintanence person at a high school that they don't get the same break. Who is more entitled? and why??

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys ... this was a simple question about comp tickets for members of the media. No need to turn it into some kind of class warfare thread.

Let's stick to the OP's question, please, and leave the social studies aspect to the university professors to debate.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    John I have to disagree with you on that one.
    My husband is a radio producer, I am a radio copywriter... my sister is a television director and her husband is a television camera man. None of us are on the air, and I know for myself, I work in a very small small market up here in Canada. And we ALL get comp passes for the parks every year, and have for several years now, even as recently as this past April. Disney is very generous, as long as you request no later than 6 weeks before your scheduled trip. You need to tell them the dates you're going, how many people are in your party, etc. and they'll help you out as best you can.
    They have a set number of passes they're allowed to comp-out, so if you luck out and choose a week to vacation when there aren't many others, you can get A LOT of passes. The last time I went with my husband, we were comped WAY too many. I received 4 x 5-day passes, and my husband received 4 x 4-day passes, with the water parks included. We ended up giving a lot of our unused passes to a young family we saw down there -- otherwise they would have gone to waste since they expired after our week was over.
    They will send you a letter that you have to bring to guest services when you arrive at the parks, and you need to show ID (and sometimes it helps to also have your business card if possible) to receive your passes.

As for lodging, well, I've never heard of that deal. But you can definitely get passes.

Hope that helps! Let me know if I can be of any more help!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not owned by Disney...

But who I work for has one of their ideas loaned to a park. Can u figure it out? What park? What ride?
    Last edited by Beast_fanatic; 10-19-2007 at 09:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    John I have to disagree with you on that one.
    My husband is a radio producer, I am a radio copywriter... my sister is a television director and her husband is a television camera man. None of us are on the air, and I know for myself, I work in a very small small market up here in Canada. And we ALL get comp passes for the parks every year, and have for several years now, even as recently as this past April. Disney is very generous, as long as you request no later than 6 weeks before your scheduled trip. You need to tell them the dates you're going, how many people are in your party, etc. and they'll help you out as best you can.
    They have a set number of passes they're allowed to comp-out, so if you luck out and choose a week to vacation when there aren't many others, you can get A LOT of passes. The last time I went with my husband, we were comped WAY too many. I received 4 x 5-day passes, and my husband received 4 x 4-day passes, with the water parks included. We ended up giving a lot of our unused passes to a young family we saw down there -- otherwise they would have gone to waste since they expired after our week was over.
    They will send you a letter that you have to bring to guest services when you arrive at the parks, and you need to show ID (and sometimes it helps to also have your business card if possible) to receive your passes.

As for lodging, well, I've never heard of that deal. But you can definitely get passes.

Hope that helps! Let me know if I can be of any more help!

I think the fact that you're in Canada has something to do with that. The norm for the US is two one day one park passes. They aren't that hard to get, though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haunt1000 View Post
    But who I work for has one of their ideas loaned to a park. Can u figure it out? What park? What ride?
    Twilight Zone?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Too easy! You got it.

Post Thanks / Like

subscribing...fyi, not to bring up a sore subject, but journalism is the lowest paid profession that requires a BA.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: