Quantcast landscaping in the parks

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default landscaping in the parks

I just fininshed reading about the smells of Disney and realized that a huge part of what makes WDW so wonderful for me is the gorgeous landscaping. This seems to get relatively little mention, but adds so much to the theming. I recently have been to several local "amusement park/carnival" type activities with the kids and couldn't stop noticing how horrible everything looked. Of course there are a million reasons WDW is much better but a huge part is the role the trees, flowers, etc. play. At Epcot I got cranky and annoyed when it seemed my entire family could spend the whole day playing in Innovations. I left the building and sat outside. I immediately became happy watching the fountains and enjoying the tranquil setting. I think I could enjoy going to all the parks and not go on a single ride (of course I would rather ride too.)
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yes, I agree with you that the landscaping is
    beautiful in all the parks. WDW really knows
    how to landscape. Epcot is so pretty in the
    spring when we attend the Flower and Garden
    Festival.

Post Thanks / Like

I could and have just sat outside on a bench and looked around...and enjoyed the beautiful landscaping...and theming...

Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Cypress gardens is the only one that is better. All of the better theme parks are getting more into landscaping, and putting loads of effort into it.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

șoș It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for writing about landscaping. It is one of the things that makes all the Disney parks and resort areas special. The neatly manicured foliage, the colors and plants that change to fit the area. Everywhere...
    ~~Have a Disney Day~~
    șoș WDW 9-83, 9-84, 9-88, 9-93, 5-94, 5-95, 5-96, 9-99, 9-07
    șoș TDL 6-83, 9-91
    șoș DLR many, many

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the landscaping at the resorts is even more incredible. At the WL there are even little bunnies hopping about. The AKL is so exotic! Then at the Contemporary all the trees are cut in a futuristic "Jetson's" style. I think the Values are superior to any other reasonably priced motel due to the extraordinary landscaping and grounds. It is just wonderful!
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

1) There are two park-wide departments at WDW that TRULY EXCEL.
    . . . Maintenance
    . . . Horticulture
    2) Both do such a great job with their budget cuts.
    3) Horticulture people are especially dedicated.
    4) I have known several, and they do try hard.

NOTE: This is not to say other departments don't try, but as a park-wide entity, these two consistently perform far greater than their proportionately reduced budgets normally would allow.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Secrets of Disney's Glorious Gardens by Kevin Markey (Disney Editions, 2006) and Gardens of the Walt Disney World Resort (the Walt Disney Company, 1988).
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

The landscaping is one of my favorite parts of WDW, with Epcot in particular being the best.

Post Thanks / Like

They really do a great job, and bring a lot of beauty to the parks and resorts. Their hard waorks really pays off in my mind
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

You are so right. I could spend all day watching the fountains at Epcot and listening to the music (well, maybe not that long cause there is too many other great things to do ) Also, the topiary scene from Sorcerer's Apprentice outside the animation studios section at MGM ( I mean DHS) is excellent.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Disney is the Master when it comes to landscaping and putting you in the middle of the theming
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    I think I could enjoy going to all the parks and not go on a single ride

I could too!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I totally agree this topic is not mentioned near enough. The landscaping (as I have read in older Birmbaum guides) in Epcot's WS is not only done with plants indigenous to the country but also with that country's techneiques for pruning for example. I even read they copied the 18th century pruning techniques on the trees outside the American Pavillion. I baffles the mind the research involved in even the most minute details all of which adds to the magic. I have always had an appreciation for the topiaries which are not just in the parks but at the marketplace and even at some resorts. My fave has always been the dragon at the lake near tomorrowland.
    2014 POR Alligator Bayou & Beach Club.
    1978-2007 Several Visits off Property.

"Come to the Tiki Room...No one ever takes a Siesta"

"Parents hold your kids by the hair and we're clear"

"I am happy to see they brought back Orange Bird!!"

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I have pictures of topiaries!!

Ooh-Ooh-Ooh....May I post pictures of the Flower Festival???? I love the landscaping at any time at WDW, but I especially love the Flower Festival. I wish the topiaries could stay up year round, but I guess that wouldn't make it special each spring. Anyway, this past May, I was just in awe over the landscaping at the Flower Festival, so if you would like, you may see some of the photos that I took:
    Flower Festival
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

I have tremendous back problems and can't ride any of the attractions that are rough or wild so I get a lot of opportunity to sit and enjoy the landscaping. Walt Disney is quoted many different places as having made many comments about wanting a park where he could take his children and not feel dirty and unsafe. The result is the beautiful look that we all love so much. There is no question that when we go to other parks that are not as well landscaped that we do not feel nearly as good about the experience.

I am often disappointed when we go to other amusement parks that don't even make the effort to landscape nicely or to keep the park clean. It really doesn't take that much to make and keep the landscaping nice. We live about 30 minutes from a small theme park called Holiday World here in southern Indiana. This is a prime example of a small park that doesn't have a lot of financial resources but still does so much to make the park nice. They start out any new attraction with at least some landscaping and then add to it as they can afford to do so. In addition they keep the park absolutely immaculately clean. If they can do it any park can.

Post Thanks / Like

jasper, i went to holiday world last summer and really enjoyed it. plus- free parking, free sunscreen and free soda (even if it is pepsi products)a thoroughly enjoyable smaller park

i have in fact spent a whole day at a park (mk) doing nothing but people watching, and enjoying the architecture and landscaping. it was a great day
    last trip AKL may '06
    first trip 1973

Post Thanks / Like

My family thinks I am crazy! I love to go and see how many of the plants I can identify!! We live in VA and I love all the different things that grow in FLA! We go to Busch Gardens, Williamsburg quite often and they also do a lovely job landscaping this park! I would love to go sometime during the F&G Show at Epcot and spend a day w/ the gardeners! However w/ my DS6 and my DS4 tagging along this wont get to happen any time soon! Maybe when I retire...........

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your pictures McGoofy. It brought back memories. I have only ever been to WDW during the Flower show and don't think I want to try another time! I was glad you posted the pics because since we stayed at Beach Club I never entered the park by the Peter Pan display and missed it. Thanks! Also, lightchaser, that is amazing information about the horticulturists using period pruning techniques. I surely can't see any evidence of budget cutbacks! But I hope they don't cut anymore. I think even those who don't "notice" the landscaping are deeply affected by it. The "magic" we all feel is most likely a result of lots and lots of very precise, careful hard work, but I like to think there is a little fairy dust thrown in.
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your pictures McGoofy. It brought back memories. I have only ever been to WDW during the Flower show and don't think I want to try another time! I was glad you posted the pics because since we stayed at Beach Club I never entered the park by the Peter Pan display and missed it. Thanks! Also, lightchaser, that is amazing information about the horticulturists using period pruning techniques. I surely can't see any evidence of budget cutbacks! But I hope they don't cut anymore. I think even those who don't "notice" the landscaping are deeply affected by it. The "magic" we all feel is most likely a result of lots and lots of very precise, careful hard work, but I like to think there is a little fairy dust thrown in.
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Share This Thread On Social Media: