Quantcast Kid Nation - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kid Nation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    Ok, so it really irritates me that THIS is the show that your crazy TV provider decided to air in real time! ugh.
    Yep, THIS show got quick turnaround here, and the last Amazing Race did not. Go figure!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

They're replaying the first episode on Saturday, Michael. I'd give it a look.
    šš*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kid nation

I watched this on the DVR last night without high expectations and actually really enjoyed it. The kids were cute, said cute kid things. I thought the challenges were appropriate as were the prizes. I was surprised they gave Sophia the star even though she spoke out against the coucilbut kudos to the council for recognizing her hard work...I'll give it a few more weeks for sure.
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched in on tivo and I liked it more then I expected I would. The kids were making some good grown-up decisions. They said cute things. It's interesting. I'll probably continue to record it.

I thought they filmed this in the summer, I don't know about pulling kids out of school to do it. I don't have kids but if I did I would be iffy about letting them do this and it would be a big NO if I found out they had to miss school.
    șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't interested in it until it made the news. I wouldn't watch it anyway. Personally, I think all the Survivor type shows are a waste and I would like to see real shows fill their slots. Shows with writers and actors. But, as far as this show goes I am following the news about it, that's where my interest is. I'm not too much into that either, but if there is ever a law suit and it lands on Court TV (where the real reality shows are) then I will be right there watching!

I too think it is explotive. I also think that child labor laws were broken. Most of us are just out of touch with the reason why child labor laws were put into place and what they are. We think that nothing can go wrong if children are entrusted to adults.

The parents who signed the release were irresponsible and ridiculous. Signing a contract that says you will not sue if your child dies in their care!
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I had heard about a lot of the negative press this show got before it aired, so I tried to keep an open mind when watching it. I was somewhat pleasantly surprised. There was some of the expected drama, but the kids overall were resourceful and interesting. The one thing that got me was little Jimmy, sobbing off by himself. No way could I, as a parent, have allowed my son to be a part of something like that at such a young age. I'm glad he ended up going home, but it absolutely broke my heart to see him going through that. I used to be a camp counselor and we didn't even take children that young at the camp because it really is just too hard on them.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Intresting episode tonight with them dealing having to kill the chicken.

Also is anybody as tired of miss "I'm a beauty queen I have to do no work" as I am? She so annoys me she does nothing for the town. What is even worse is she is one of the council members I wish they could get new ones or vote people out lol

Her entire thing tonight with but where the youngest was I don't think right to say considering the entire reason they are even doing this is to prove that age doesn't matter.
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb26 View Post
    Somehow I must have missed that part. What was the outcome?

I don't think I could handle my boy being away from me for that long (one week of summer camp was enough, my boyfriend said I was a roller coaster of emotions he could easily tell when I was getting depressed)...but it does seem good for the kids.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Taylor needs a good, strong kick in the you-know-where.

But other than her, I'm really liking the show. I bet the producers made sure they had plenty of kids from farming backgrounds when they did the selections. Not many 9-15 year-olds would know how to slaugher, feather, and gut a chicken like that (I know I wouldn't!).

I thought Emilie was being a bit annoying. She said she grew up on a farm so I couldn't understand why she was so against killing a chicken. But I'm glad she stayed.

And how cute were Mallory and her friend for putting up a stuffed pet business? Too cute.

And I was so rooting for the green team! I love both Laurel and Sophia and really wanted them to beat the yellow team! I'm getting too addicted to this show for my own good. And too bad they lost out on the pumps.

I'm looking forward to next week. And hoping Greg won't be too much of a sore loswer over the whole gold star thing (though I think he deserved it more than Michael, but whatever).
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb26 View Post

Also is anybody as tired of miss "I'm a beauty queen I have to do no work" as I am? She so annoys me she does nothing for the town. What is even worse is she is one of the council members I wish they could get new ones or vote people out.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvonleaCF View Post
    Taylor needs a good, strong kick in the you-know-where.

But other than her, I'm really liking the show.

And I was so rooting for the green team! I love both Laurel and Sophia and really wanted them to beat the yellow team! I'm getting too addicted to this show for my own good. And too bad they lost out on the pumps.
    The chicken killing was kind of hard to watch, that would have been hard for me to do, but I know it's part of life ... I eat chicken as well.

I agree with both of you on Taylor. Sometimes she can be a good leader and acts more mature then her 10 years, then other times she is very spoiled, and seems to act her age or younger.

I was also hoping the green team would win. I like both Laurel and Sophia as well. I think everyone would enjoy the green team cooking the food.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

No.
    Marker from MO

mttafire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Babe View Post
    I wasn't interested in it until it made the news. I wouldn't watch it anyway. Personally, I think all the Survivor type shows are a waste and I would like to see real shows fill their slots. Shows with writers and actors. But, as far as this show goes I am following the news about it, that's where my interest is. I'm not too much into that either, but if there is ever a law suit and it lands on Court TV (where the real reality shows are) then I will be right there watching!

I too think it is explotive. I also think that child labor laws were broken. Most of us are just out of touch with the reason why child labor laws were put into place and what they are. We think that nothing can go wrong if children are entrusted to adults.

The parents who signed the release were irresponsible and ridiculous. Signing a contract that says you will not sue if your child dies in their care!
    Id like to argue a few points....
    1. Exploitive? Not at all. Its entertainment, No one was forced..FREE WILL.
    2. Like it or not reality shows are incredible popular and PROFITABLE. They wont be going anywhere anytime soon. "untill they arent profitable'
    3. Child labor laws broken....
    All the things these kids did are CHORES. All kids should have responsibilty and work to do. IMHO, It builds character and good work ethic.
    Anyways, I DO respect your opinion...I just completely disagree with it. Peace.

Post Thanks / Like

It certainly doesn't sound like you respect my opinion. You simply disagree it with and think I am wrong and have stated so strongly rather than respectfully.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to look up the history of child labor laws as they relate to the entertainment industry. Once you do, please point out the differences here. Especially in regards to the parents signing contracts that release the entertainment company from liability in the death or injury of their children.

"Like it or not....." Why? Profitable? Aren't going anyway? What, so I should fall in line and like or accept it?

I'm entiled to dislike this form of "entertainment" if I choose to. I'm entiled to say my opinion. Even if something is profitable and popular, not all of us have to like it.
    Last edited by Disney Babe; 10-02-2007 at 02:00 AM. Reason: correcting mispellings
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."

Walt Disney

mttafire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Babe View Post
    It certainly doesn't sound like you respect my opinion. You simply disagree it with and think I am wrong and have stated so strongly rather than respectfully.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to look up the history of child labor laws as they relate to the entertainment industry. Once you do, please point out the differences here. Especially in regards to the parents signing contracts that release the entertainment company from liability in the death or injury of their children.

"Like it or not....." Why? Profitable? Aren't going anyway? What, so I should fall in line and like or accept it?

I'm entiled to dislike this form of "entertainment" if I choose to. I'm entiled to say my opinion. Even if something is profitable and popular, not all of us have to like it.
    You are absolutely right. Different strokes for different folks.
    No one said you have to like it or accept it. I simply said it "reality shows" arent going away...Like it or NOT.
    The child labor laws...Im sure the lawers were well involved to begin with, They always are.
    You ARE intitled to your opinion...I just choose to completely disagree.

P.S. Knots Landing....Now thats a show!! Bring it back...

Post Thanks / Like

It looked like there was a lot more tension in the groups last night. I think I would have just about slugged those boys playing in the flour. what a mess they made.

I do find it interesting how many of the older kids are so caring about the little ones.

I think I would have chosen the Pizza over the microwave.

That one council member girl is getting a little too bossy.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't feel sorry for Taylor when she started crying. But from the previews for next week it doesn't look like she'll improve.

I'm so glad they have the award to Mallory! She's so cute and always willing to help. Good for them.

As for the pizza vs. microwave, I actually thought Taylor was the most level-headed, explaining the want vs. the need.

I do hope Greg can get a Gold Star. If we can continue to help without losing his temper the others will vote for him.

Mike is getting on my nerves. Actually of all the counsil members I think Laurel is the only one doing a good job. I'd replace the other three.

And can I please make a request that people not bash the show as "child exploitation" unless they've actually watched an episode? Thanks.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

And can I please make a request that people not bash the show as "child exploitation" unless they've actually watched an episode? Thanks.
    I have got to totally agree with you...these kids are at about the equivalent of "camp".

If anyone has ever attended a Boy Scout camp I can tell you that quite often the BOYS are the ones doing the cooking, cleaning, fire building...and even more...I think for the most part they are really enjoying it with an occasional "homesick" issue.

They certianly look "revived" when they have their shot at the "gold star". I know my DS is really enjoying it.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't feel sorry for Taylor when she started crying. But from the previews for next week it doesn't look like she'll improve.

I'm so glad they have the award to Mallory! She's so cute and always willing to help. Good for them.
    I didn't feel sorry for Taylor either, it was about time she got a wake up call about her behavior. In each episode there are times I really like Taylor, and then other points where I can stand how she acts.

I was also happy with Mallory getting the gold star. He coversation with her parents was nice. I thought the other girl they were considering would have been a good choice as well.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I really can't decide if I actually like this show or not. The little diary moments seem SO scripted. And Taylor is a brat, and i think Greg really got the shaft not getting the gold star. He seems to work really hard, and does stuff that no ones else does. I think it's admirable that even though he admits he is working for the star he realizes that since he's definitely older than everyone, he knows he needs that money to go to COLLEGE. He's not a bad kid, he's just at that awkward adolescent stage where the kid inside him is confused by the need to be more grown up.

I am going to give it one more week.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I just marathon watched the first three episodes on my DVR. The first one almost lost me - pretty boring - but I'm glad I stuck with it.

I was going to let my DD5 watch, but I changed my mind. Partly because of the chicken killing thing, largely because of them having to bleep Greg's mouth all the time, and now also because of all of the "soda chugging".

Does that bother anyone else, or am I just getting prudish in my old age?

I know they're only drinking soda, but it's like they're IMITATING alcohol drinking...they were even making "virgin depth charges" where they were dropping a shot (complete with shot glasses) into their soda. At another point they were all encouraging another child to "chug, chug, chug, chug"...

I think it holds some kind of nice lessons for children, and I'm really impressed with some of the things they're doing - the bedtime thing blew me away. It's certainly a lot healthier for them than Survivor, which a lot of young kids are watching.

(Not knocking Survivor - I love it myself - I just don't think it's appropriate for young kids. Especially this season where no one seems to have any clothes!!!)

I had my concerns that it might be exploitative, but I'm not finding that to be the case as I watch. I was relieved to see that they give the kids the opportunity to opt out every week.

I'm rooting for Morgan to get her gold star...and I hope that Greg has a nice shining moment from an attitude perspective where they're able to reward him with one too...

(What was the name of the guy in Lord of the Flies who eventually killed Piggy??? I fear that's Greg...)

BTW - thank god for DVR - I fast forwarded through the whole chicken thing....

Well - there's one thing to be said - that show certainly inspires a lot of discussion!!!!
    Kim1st
    1982 & 1985 Grandma's house
    10/2006 - WL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: