Quantcast Avoiding Night of Joy

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Avoiding Night of Joy

Hi everyone,

I will be starting my Disney vacation on September 8th this year, which happens to be the last night for Night of Joy. Any tips on avoiding all the NOJ crowds? Normally I would consider it a crime to not hit MK as my first park of a trip, but since this is likely to be in the afternoon on 9/8, is this a bad idea?

Specifically, I'd appreciate insight on the following:

1) How crowded does MK get the day of a NOJ event? Do those attending NOJ tend to just go to MK for the whole day and camp there?

2) Are there increased crowds at other parks in the days before/after NOJ due to the increased number of guests at WDW?

3) I've read about quite a few horror stories surrounding NOJ, ranging from just an increase in crowds to unruly and unsupervised youth groups running amok, jumping lines, abusing CM's, and generally ruining everyone's vacation. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle, so if anyone has any NOJ stories, about MK or WDW in general, I'd like to hear the good AND the bad.

Thanks in advance!
    Early 1980's sometime - Offsite
    ... large hazy period ...
    01/99 - AS Music
    01/01 - AS Movies
    01/02 - AS Sports/AKL
    09/02 - Disneyland PARIS
    01/03 - Contemporary
    04/03 - Fort Wilderness
    01/04 - Offsite :(
    03/05 - CBR
    09/05 - Beach Club
    12/05 - OKW
    04/06 - OKW
    09/07 - CBR
    12/11 - PO:FQ

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi!

We're getting there the same day as you!! YEA! Only 22 more days to wait!

We stayed last year at the All Stars during Nights of Joy. Honestly, the only time we really noticed anything was the busses in the morning and at park close. They were packed with kids.

I think you're right about avoiding the Magic Kingdom, the park closes early anyway. Epcot usually can absorb large crowds pretty well, though.

We decided to do a really nice resort dinner our first night to kick things off . Well, really fun, maybe not really nice. We're Hoop-de-doo-ing!
    "You're not Mickey Mouse, you're a rat!"
    "Rat, Schmat! Besides, they're tourists! What do they know?"

Post Thanks / Like

We will be there around that time also. We are planning on going to the waterpark that Saturday in hopes of avoiding NOJ crowds. And than that will probably be our early night to catch up on some needed sleep. Hopefully that is a good plan.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

The DH and I have been to the World for 2 years now when NOJ has taken place. Here is what I can tell you.

Yes, the MK does get more crowded as the day wears on. You will see more and more Youth Groups walking around and generally just being teens. (Ya know, giggling, noisy). We have never experienced any rude groups or anything like that. The worst thing is that the Monorail is EXTREMELY crowded and it can take longer to get to and from the park the later in the day it gets.

The DH and I have been to MK during the day on the NOJ days, but we usually leave during dinner to go someplace else to eat and have fun. We tend to go to one of the other theme parks, with Epcot being the most likely. And like the other poster said, MK closes early that night anyway, so why not go someplace else.

Don't let the NOJ crowd throw off your plans. If you want to MK just do it as early as possible and plan to spend the evening someplace else.

Have fun!
    1986, 1995 - Off Property
    1995 - B.V. Palace
    2002 - PORS
    2005 - Wilderness Lodge
    2006 - CBR
    2007 - AKL
    2008 - Saratoga Springs
    Spring 2009 - BCV
    Fall 2009 - CSR
    Winter 2009 - VWL
    Spring 2010 - BWV
    Fall 2010 - Kidani & Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon
    December 2010 - OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I'm arriving that day as well, but I'm avoiding MK, that being only one reason. (Epcot is *my* traditional Day One.)

MK on a Saturday is INSANE normally, and I would think it'd be worse with NOJ there then too. I haven't been, so sorry, no stories.
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I can say that I did not think it was horrible. Like mentioned before...youth will be youth. However this is Christian concerts. I guess it depends on your age and whatnot. I did reacll that the park started getting crowded as the day moved along. If you have a hopper I might would start there and then move to somewhere else. While we were htere the only time we REALLY waited in line.....maybe for ave. of 10 min...was that night. We got on most rides in about 5 during the day...if not just walk on....but at night it was different. i did notice most of the kids watched the concerts though. have fun and enjoy your trip!

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose I should clarify that I am not attending NOJ itself, just being there at the same time NOJ is wrapping up.

That being said, I did plan to be somewhere else for the evening. I have an ADR for San Angel in EPCOT for (I think) 7:30 that night. The plan was to get to MK after we got settled in our resort from the flight and ME and all that, then head to MK for the traditional vacation kickoff. It's especially important to me this time because the person I'm taking has never been to WDW, so I want her first experience to be gazing down Main Street. If it gets too crazy, we'll just leave for EPCOT a little early; we're there for 8 days, so there's plenty of time.

Thanks for the stories everyone, keep 'em coming...
    Early 1980's sometime - Offsite
    ... large hazy period ...
    01/99 - AS Music
    01/01 - AS Movies
    01/02 - AS Sports/AKL
    09/02 - Disneyland PARIS
    01/03 - Contemporary
    04/03 - Fort Wilderness
    01/04 - Offsite :(
    03/05 - CBR
    09/05 - Beach Club
    12/05 - OKW
    04/06 - OKW
    09/07 - CBR
    12/11 - PO:FQ

Post Thanks / Like

I can only imagine how excited you are to get to take someone for their 1st exsp. I will never forget the 1st time I saw Micky...we went to mgm our first day....only half day that is why we chose mgm....anyway. I saw him during Fantasmic. I cryied like a child that lost their puppy. Im sure I will again this trip. I even cry when I watch the vaction planning dvd. man Im a disney dork and proud of it. Like I said earlier. It was not that bad until ...I think it was around 7 or so. Have fun and I cant wait to hear what she thinks of it!

Post Thanks / Like

We are arriving on the 8th as well, staying Saturday Night in a Suite at All-Star Music, and then checking in to OKW on Sunday. We have already decided to wait until Sunday to visit the MK and start our trip during the Little One's EMH. We will probably just hang at the pool with my DD's (3 & 1) and then we might take the bus to DTD for dinner at Rain Forest Cafe. This is the first time we have gone during this time of year. Can't wait!
    ~Tripp West
    Dream CMO Top 3!

1977, 1983, 1986, 1989, 1993, 1996, 2000, 2005, 2006,
    DVC Trips
    12/2006(SSR), 2/2007(OKW),9/2007(OKW),12/07 (ASM-Got a great AP Discount),3/08 (BWV)

Post Thanks / Like

We are getting there on the 8th too!!

Anyway, we were there for NOJ a couple of years ago, and actually had tickets for NOJ. We couldn't stand the event itself. We love Christian music, and I have been a youth leader for several years at our church, so I am pretty tolerant, but these kids were out of control!! They were very rude and obnoxious.

Having said that, we were staying then at the Poly, and could hear the noise and concerts from the beach. It was okay until about 1am when we were ready for it to stop.

I vowed after that experience to never to NOJ again, or go anywhere near the MK on those days. We are going to MK on Sunday the 9th and have ressies at CRT on Sunday night. Let's hope everyone is cleared out by then.

20 days and counting!!!
    Kellie

Sept 03- Contemporary (Pre-Deployment)
    May 04- Aug 05- OEF Deployment
    Sept 05- Poly (NO KIDS!!)
    Sept 07- POFQ (Free Dining!!)
    Nov 07- SOG (Solo Shopping Trip)

Post Thanks / Like

dh and i are planning on meeting a couple of friends and attending noj this year. so you are aware, rock the universe at universal studios is on the same weekend. from my perspective they have a really good line up for the younger demographic so hopefully thngs won't be too obnoxious this year.
    199?-Off Site 2004-Grand Floridian 2005-Coronado & Off Site
    2007-Caribbean Beach
    2007 & 2009-POFQ
    2008-All Star Movies 2010-planning now

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to WDW during NoJ probably at least 5 or 6 times and I actually attended once, so I have a decent background on this topic ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
    1) How crowded does MK get the day of a NOJ event? Do those attending NOJ tend to just go to MK for the whole day and camp there?
    If memory serves, MK crowds seem to build throughout the day. It's not mobbed early, but the closer you get to the event the more crowded it gets. It will definitely be more crowded in general than during any other normal September day.

2) Are there increased crowds at other parks in the days before/after NOJ due to the increased number of guests at WDW?
    From what I could tell, it looks like a large number of the attendees arrive by bus and tend to focus on Magic Kingdom. I can't say for certain, but I don't really recall seeing significant increases in crowds in the other three parks.

3) I've read about quite a few horror stories surrounding NOJ, ranging from just an increase in crowds to unruly and unsupervised youth groups running amok, jumping lines, abusing CM's, and generally ruining everyone's vacation. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle, so if anyone has any NOJ stories, about MK or WDW in general, I'd like to hear the good AND the bad.
    Sorry ... can't help you with the good ... the one and only night I ever went I saw everything you mention and a lot more.

Let me put it this way ... it takes a lot for me to be willing to pass up an extra three hours in Magic Kingdom, but I would never, for any price, go back to a NoJ.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We've been to NOJ twice, last year's event being one of them. 1999 was truly MAGICAL, but there were MANY thousands less people attending than last year.

We didn't have ANY experiences with rude kids. Some of them were even especially courteous. I don't think the kids were out of control, just that there were too many kids and too few adults. The place is PACKED with them - I mean body to body packed in most places. It's tough for anyone to be themselves when bathroom lines are over 30 minutes long, and getting in ANY restaurant door is a challenge, especially in Florida heat and humidity.

Add to that the fact that the rules are harsh, although I'm sure there are reasons for them, and I would NEVER recommend NOJ to anyone.

CM's are now told not to let anyone sit down on the ground (and there are no other options because all benches/ledges are staked out), and no one is allowed to leave any roped areas and return, even for a bathroom (a huge issue when you're trying to get back to your group, have small children, and all areas anywhere near stages are roped off).

If anyone is going to NOJ PLEASE DON'T TAKE POTTY TRAINING TODDLERS!

That said, here was our experience last year. The parks were EMPTY the two days after Labor Day. I mean the longest line we waited in was 5 minutes. We've never seen it like that (except on E-Ticket nights) and we always go off season! We did LOOPS around Everest and never stopped walking. Never even got off of BTMR! The CM at Space Mtn Thursday Morning said the longest line in the last 2 days at that attraction had been 5 minutes!

Thursday was a little more busy, but only slightly. Friday about noon things started getting busier. We were in EPCOT and noticed the difference. The line for Soarin was long (about 45 minutes) - but we'd already been there first thing that morning, so it was no big deal.

Saturday was the big change. We wanted to do our normal 4 parks in 1 day goodbye. MGM for Extra Magic Hours was easy. MK, we did Splash/Space/& Buzz without much problem. When we went to AK, however, right after lunch, we had to get a fast pass for Everest (first time all week) and waited 20 minutes for Kali. Dinosaur was about a 15 minute wait. With a fast pass Everest was about 10 minutes. We got to EPCOT at about 4pm, and it was fine. In fact Illuminations was as bare as I've ever seen it!

For anyone going during NOJ I would avoid the MK resort restaurants right before the concerts. They're PACKED with kids. We did 1900 Park Fare Friday night and wouldn't do it again. This year I'm hoping Spoodles is a better choice.

Regardless...It's Disney! You'll have fun! It's still much better than the summer season, and by Monday, I'd bet the crowds will be back to the normal type!
    Next visit - January 2018 OKW
    Mar 2015 Offsite
    Jan 2011,12,13&14 CSR
    Sept 2009 CSR & MNSSHP
    Sept 2007 CSR
    Sept 2006 POR & NOJ
    2005 Offsite
    2003 ASM & MVMCP
    2002 Doubletree onsite & MVMCP/1st DQ
    Sept 1999 POFQ / WL & NOJ
    May 1999 CSR/BC
    Dec 1997 & 1998 CBR & MVMCP
    April 1997 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

We are arriving in WDW on the 8th as well. We have ressies at Cinderella's Gala Feast at 6:30 pm at the GFR. Are we going to regret this? I didn't even think of NOJ crowds.

Thanks!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: