Quantcast Carousel of Progress refurb or replacement? - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Jacksboro, Texas (Northwest of Dallas Fort Worth)
    Post Thanks / Like

Found some more good news !!!

NEWS FROM CAST MEMBER...

Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 8:09 AM

Subject: This is from a CAST MEMBER

I am happy to report that there is no planned closing of COP!*

COP's external paint refurbish has just been completed last week.

Seating replacement and new carpeting is nearly done,
    along with exterior 'pre-show' monitor repairs.

The scrims for the first three scenes will be replaced within the next 3 weeks.

Discussions are currently that the skins on father Audio-Animatronics figures throughout maybe replaced within the next quarter.

While COP isn't totally out of danger--all in the know seem to now believe for the present time there is no plan to remove it or close it.

* There may be some closure of a limited nature for refurbishing

First trip 1981

Married at Disney's wedding pavillion 12-22-04
    DVC owners @ SSR Dec 2005
    OKW-DEC-2004-Wedding
    VERO BEACH-DEC-2004-(honeymoon)
    ASM-DEC-2005
    SSR-OCT-2006
    SSR-DEC-2007
    AKV owners Jul 08
    SSR Dec 08
    SSR June 09
    New Baby Boy arrived Aug 3 2009 !! (our first)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

thats great news. i never saww the face of the father AA up close we always sat like 3 rows fromt he back wall so we could get a good view of the entire scene so i guess it must be in bad condition then? if they are replacing carpeting and seats then im sure there will be some closureat some point even though its closed alot as it is right now since its a seasonal attraction.
    I LOVE THE PATRIOTS!!

Austin

Trips to WDW

1999 - AS Music
    2001 - POFQ
    2003 - Pop Century
    2004 - Pop Century
    2006 - Pop Century

Next Trip: Sometime Soon I Hope!

Post Thanks / Like

This is very good news. If Disney is smart, [which is sometimes questionable LOL] they would rebuild some of the old earlier attractions that the baby boomers remember from their childhood, It isn't like they don't have the room there to do it, if they must put in thrill rides so be it, though Walt no doubt turns in his grave, but bring back what Disney was intended to be, and bring back the quality that made it what it was.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (or at least I didn't see it when I was reading through the thread) is that I think this is the ONLY attraction at WDW that Walt personally worked on. Yes, there are Pirates and Small World, etc, but they are copies of the DLR originals. COP is the real deal.

By the way, as for the previous post, I've always wondered why they built Pooh in Mr. Toad's spot instead of on the filled in lagoon. Why do we have NO attractions on this spot? Is it cursed??????
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Get rid of CoP??? Eeegads NOOOO!!!!! I look forward to this ride every trip and I'm glad I always missed the seasonal closure. It's always been open for me!

I am unbelievably happy that the seats and carpet have been replaced as they were getting a bit droopy. I'm okay with a refurb as long as it is just maintenance and sprucing up (and perhaps the updating of the final scene). I'm always afraid when they do major refurbs on rides I love (a.k.a. the original Imagination ride).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    CoP is a classic not just a Disney Classic but an American Classic. It truly show the spirit of Walt and what he was all about. This attraction should be preserved at all costs.
    I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickie the Pooh View Post
    This is very good news. If Disney is smart, [which is sometimes questionable LOL] they would rebuild some of the old earlier attractions that the baby boomers remember from their childhood, It isn't like they don't have the room there to do it, if they must put in thrill rides so be it, though Walt no doubt turns in his grave, but bring back what Disney was intended to be, and bring back the quality that made it what it was.
    You are expressing my sentiments exactly. I still miss World of Motion so much and of course Horizons. At least Soarin' has helped to fill a void.

Post Thanks / Like

I just have to say that I took DH to WDW lasr year. This was one of his favorite attractions. I also love it because it may be one of the best depictions of life in the past, reminding us of all the advances over time. I think it is great for teaching children as well. I have loved thid ride since I have been small. I guess if you are looking for more thrill rides, you may want to look for a different park.

Post Thanks / Like

I've defended classic WDW attractions many times because some people just don't get it.

First of all , Intercot is firmly established as a site where WDW fanatics from all over the world come to share their passion for their favorite place on Earth. To be sure ,there are opinions , both positive and negative , but for the most part the comments are kept subtle and usually reflect a persons preferences , but not outright hatred.

Most of us don't have any problem with discussions on favorites and least favorites. But when comments are made that are offensive and downright rude and crude , I think we have every right to knock it it down and convey the message that certain phrases and terms have no place in an environment such as this. I believe that the original poster has used one of these terms and the resulting onslaught proves my point. As Marker mentioned , certain words may imply that anyone who enjoys a particular attraction that is being condemned ,is " stupid " as well.

I fervently hope that anyone wishing to post comments would think them out before posting , and understand the magnitude of fervor that some words create .

And by the way , CoP is a classic attraction and in my opinion , should be re-furbished as needed ,but never taken away.

" Everybody's got a laughin' place "

Steve

Trips to Walt Disney World : many !

Post Thanks / Like

We rode COP on Saturday. As we were exiting we (and many others) were stopped by CM's who wanted to know if we liked the ride, the CM's, why did we like the ride. Everyone around me gave it the highest marks and talked about the linkage to Walt. Hopefully this is a good sign!

note - we noticed some additives on Saturday - Valentine's Day gift on the table in the one scenario, boy on the dog in the last scene.
    2010 - WDW/Cont, DLR/DLH, DLR/GC, DLR/PP, DCL 7 Day
    2009 - DLR/DLH, GCH, and PP; WDW/WL, AKL, Cont
    2008 - DLR/DLH, and GCH; WDW/GF, AKL and PO
    2007- DLR/GCH and DLH;11 Night Med; WDW/POR
    2006 - DCL 7 Day, 10 Day; DLR/GCH; WDW/Cont
    2005 - DLR/GCH; WDW/Cont
    and many times before!

Post Thanks / Like

If CoP was ever removed, I think there would be a revolt at WDW, of which, I would be the leader! It is a Walt Disney original and still very enjoyable to me and mine. Yes, the final scene needs to updated, but that ride is the epitomy of what WDW is all about.
    "When hinges creak in doorless chambers
    and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls,
    Whenever candlelights flicker and the air is deathly still,
    That is the time ghosts are present,
    Practicing their terror with ghoulish delight."

Post Thanks / Like

There's many rides out there that are original (I.E. without Animation theming). Places like the Jungle Cruise, It's A Small World, Pirate of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, the Hall of Presidents and Carousel of Progress are all embedded in WDW-MK's DNA. Getting rid of them is like denaturing the place.

There's so much pixie dust in these walls, they don't deserve to be teared down.
    "But you've read it twice!" -The Bookseller

02-1987 Off-Site, 09-2005 Pop Century, 09-2006 Pop Century,
    09 2007 All-Star Sports

Next trip: 09-2006

Yes, I am a Browncoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Put me in the "love it" category as well! I would be devastated if it were removed, though I wouldn't care if they changed the last scene. The other scenes represent technologies that became household staples, whereas the last scene represented where people thought technology might be heading in the 90s (i'm not sure when that scene was last modified). Something is just off about it. Although the voice-recognition oven does provide for some hilarity
    Other than that I love this attraction.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickie the Pooh View Post
    I second that!

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the "BOOOORING" category.

AND

I am in the "don't take it away" category.

I think it needs updating in a big way. I agree that a voice activated stove doesn't exist...but the IDEA of it is outdated. The idea of voice-activated things isn't so "futuristic" any more. I mean, seriously...the iPhone isn't known for it's voice-activation, and even as a current innovation, it is far more futuristic than a stove you can tell to cook at 435 for 10 minutes! With all the amazing Imagineers on staff, you would think that they could update it to be more innovative.

I also think that the last jump to the final scene is getting too big. If you can't add an additional scene (I know they can't), they need to do a MAJOR update, where the time between the scenes is longer, so it isn't a jump-jump-MEGA LEAP!! Literally it is 20 years-20-years-60 years (and this leap is alreayd outdated)

Hubby and I just talked about it, and we think it has to be impossibly sci-fi for the future scene to last more than a decade. Maybe even 5 years, at the rate things move...

So ultimately, this is an attraction that is dying a slow death. It can't continue on this theme successfully for the forseeable future. Every year that passes, the final scene becomes either increasingly outdated, or if updated, will reveal and increasingly larger gap compared to the previous scenes by comparison. And this will become increasingly jarring, interrupting the "story" of the show irrevocably.

So get rid of it now? No. Get rid of it in the next decade plus? Yes. This is a ride that cannot stand the test of time, I am afraid.

Hubby just mentioned the idea of it being a "history" or "nostalgia" ride. Basically drop anything having to do with the present or future, and end, for instance, in the 60's. Then you don't have to keep trying to chase a decade ahead or more. I posit that kids would NOT be interested in this. (I already think that Hall or Presidents bores most kids; and though I am sure I will get a smattering of people who have kids who LOVE it, but I bet if you polled a majority of kids, it is not even in their top 100 things to see at Disney...) Maybe a one-trip kind of experience, but not the classic we may believe it to be today. Sad, but I believe it to be true...

Thoughts?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: