Quantcast My memory may not be yours!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My memory may not be yours!

(just an observation!)

As we continue to discuss the overwhelming positive response to the removal of the wand and glove from Spaceship Earth, I have to wonder...most people are joyful because it restores it to it "classic" look, but for thousands, or millions of guests who's first trip was during the last few years, S.E. with the wand and glove are the how it is supposed to look, and to them it now may have lost some appeal.

As the parks change and grow I think we all need to be open minded to the fact that what was once our classic memory, may not be the next generations.
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That was very well put. and I agree. although i remember spaceship earth without the wand it never dawned on me that some people would not remember a time without it.
    Willie Wonka-

"A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men"

Post Thanks / Like

Makes sense to me. I have seen it with and without the wand and really don't mind it either way. I mean how many times have the changed the biggest icon in WDW, The Castle and it seems there is more disscusion about the Wand. I like that they change things up sometimes.

Honestly once inside Epcot I really don't notice the wand while walking around the park. I am to busy riding rides or walking around the World Showcase.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

My kids have never seen it without the wand, but my son is really excited that they are getting rid of it. He can't to see SE in it's purer form. I, on the other hand, have seen it the other way and I have mixed feelings on the subject.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Well said! I have seen it both ways and prefer it with the hand/wand, but not everyone has to agree with me!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    (just an observation!)

As we continue to discuss the overwhelming positive response to the removal of the wand and glove from Spaceship Earth, I have to wonder...most people are joyful because it restores it to it "classic" look, but for thousands, or millions of guests who's first trip was during the last few years, S.E. with the wand and glove are the how it is supposed to look, and to them it now may have lost some appeal.

As the parks change and grow I think we all need to be open minded to the fact that what was once our classic memory, may not be the next generations.
    I do so agree. DS, now 9, has never known a SE without the wand and glove. SE was his first favorite ride (which special affinity lasts, despite now ongoing relationships with TOT and EE, Splash, etc) and the sphere (with its wand and glove, because that is how it has always been) is his idea of the quintessential WDW icon (forget the castle - that's for princesses!). Not a visit to Epcot has passed without him taking a picture of it - he actually learned how to use a camera with SE as the subject. He has at least 6 pins featuring SE. I think he will be quite sad about the change.

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

Like most others so far I say very well put.

We saw it for the first time with the wand, but I don't think any of us are going to get all dissapointed the next time we see it without. Personally, I kind of like a "minimalist" look and I think the sphere is awesome enough to stand on its own without any imbellishments.
    Keven

06/76 Disneyland
    06/05 PoP Century - First time for the kids
    08/06 PoP Century - Celebrating DD's B-Day
    07/07 Pop Century - Celebrating DW's B-Day
    06/11 Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

So well put, and actually very thoughtful, also! I am embarassed to admit that it didn't cross my mind that for someone else, the wand will be forever tied to their first memories of SE. I have now been inspired to take your advice and remain open-minded to the fact that there may be a different version of magic for everyone! How great the world would be if we all remembered that as it applies to WDW and everyday life. Thanks for the reminder!
    July 1976-Off Site
    March 1993-Off-Site
    Oct. 1994-Port Orleans
    Feb. 1997-Port Orleans
    Dec. 1998-Dixie Landings-Cruise-Dixie Landings
    Nov. 2001-Caribbean Beach
    Nov. 2004-POR-CRUISE-POR
    Sept 2005 DL Paradise Pier
    Dec. 2006 POP
    Dec. 2007 CR
    Nov. 2008- POR
    Oct. 2010 BWV
    Nov. 2011 POR

Post Thanks / Like

True!

I have no strong feelings either way about the wand/hat on SE.

However...Cinderella's Castle as a pink birthday cake - was just wrong! First impression or not
    Have a Magical Day!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I saw SE without the wand back in the late 1980's, but I have the opinion that change is inevitable. If we didn't change, creativity would stop. I don't mind change because it gives us an opportunity to look at something and discover a whole new perspective.
    Visted Disney World since 1975
    Disney treehouses 1980's
    All-Star Movies 1990's

All-Star Music 2000-2005
    All-Star Movies March 2007
    Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa June 2007
    All-Star Movies 11/07

Post Thanks / Like

(just an observation!)

A most insightful point of view. It certainly has given me something to think about. Not to mention a broader perspective on the evolution of the parks in general.
    We have 999 Happy Haunts here...but there's always room for a thousand.

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

(just an observation!)

I have to agree that this was very well said. I saw it before the wand was added and after it was added. I really have no preference either way.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

I just really prefer to see SE!

Although I do prefer it with the wand, to me change is a good thing. For my oldest DS9, he is a bit sad that it won't be there when we return in October. To him, Epcot is the Wand, hand and SE.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I thank you for being so graceful and saying exactly what I was searching for in words!! You did a great job and I thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful wording! DH and I grew up in homes where Disney was not important at all. We have only been Disney fanatics for 2 1/2 years. So for us and our three children it will be odd to see SE without the wand and the castle without all of the gold on our next trip in December. My older children will have a first memory of seeing and eating in a "gold" castle. That being said; it's great to see everyone's opinion here and see what holds a special place for others. Sometimes I don't quite get why a certain ride is held in such high esteem but hey my most cherished ride is IASW. DS was having alot of medical issues on our first trip (22 mo old) and that ride made him come alive. So I will forever tear up and love the sound of IASW! To each his own.....

Post Thanks / Like

My son's first trip to EPOCT he was 13 months old. His favorite word was BALL.
    We have him saying BALL to the SE on video tape. Our next trip was in 2000, the year they added the wand and glove. I though it was a nice touch for that year.
    I liked it, but I guess it is time for a change.

Post Thanks / Like

My family and I are among the visitors that have only seen SE WITH the wand. First time was in 2000. When we went back in 2001 and saw that it was changed to EPCOT as opposed to being taken down all together we were pleased. I had seen pictures without of course, and thought it added a touch of "Mickey" to an otherwise [I]Mickey-less[I] park. But I am aware I am a minority with my point of view.
    September will be our first view without it...and although I am a little sad, I personally LOVE change. (except DW not following the DL lead and putting back the sub ride-)
    Countless Disneyland trips
    May 2000 Honeymoon 1st DW Trip
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site
    Christmas 2012 Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen the ball with nothing, with "2000" and with "Epcot". I have to be totally honest when I say I prefer the "Epcot" sign. It gives me a sense of magic that the naked ball does not.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

there is a precurser statement on some of my wdw dvd's that mentions something about the content within being "a snapshot in time" and reminds us that disney world is "a living experience".that tells me that change is bound to happen.each and every visit as i leave the mk on our last day i turn and take a long look at the train station and entryway tunnels and get all choked up.my wife comforts me and says,"we'll be back".i know that on our next visit their might be something new to discover at my wdw and i'm thankful for having my own "snapshot in time".

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for stating this so well. I, for one, embrace change at Disney, its what keeps it fresh. I have seen it both ways, and I have my preference, but can live with or without the wand. Either way, its part of the Disney magic which is the only really important thing.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: