Quantcast Experiences with Disney recipes? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvdiznee View Post
    I have 2 Disney cookbooks, and have tried recipes out of both of them. I've had great success. Especially with the Ohana Chicken Wings...
    What version of the cookbook do you have? I LOVE the Ohana chicken wings! I wondered how I had missed that recipe, and when I looked for it, the recipe was not in my cookbook. I would love to have that recipe if you would like to share!
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I came across this thread searching for the Ohana Wing Recipe and I can't find it anywhere. I have 2 different Disney cookbooks and it's not in either. I'd really love to surprise my sweetie by making them for him. HELP!
    12 trips to the World... next one: 10/29/12 for our Fairy Tale Wedding!

Post Thanks / Like

I have one from 1992. I tried the Alfredo Sauce (very different from OTHER Alfredo sauces...adds swiss cheese) and I tried Jambalyla both came out quite well. Of course I'm a swiss cheese nut so I added a little more.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

On a whim my fiance picked up a cookbook on our last day in December. We didn't really flip through it before we bought it so we had no idea how old it was. He has it, so I'm not exactly sure about the title but I believe it might be "Cooking with Mickey Vol II." I definitely know that whatever it is, it is "Vol II" and the cover features Chef Micky on a red and white checkerboard background. but the copyright ended up being from the 90s and half of the restaurants are gone or have substantially different menus. We have only tried to bake one thing so far, Chocolate Chip Cookies. My fiance actually is a pretty good baker and went to culinary school for a bit, but we just could not get these cookies to come out right. We tried about 4 different batches. They weren't BAD but were disappointing because they didn't taste any better than your typical pre-packaged cookie.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyChick View Post
    I came across this thread searching for the Ohana Wing Recipe and I can't find it anywhere. I have 2 different Disney cookbooks and it's not in either. I'd really love to surprise my sweetie by making them for him. HELP!
    You are in luck!!

My very good friend, TBY2225, sent me this recipie, and I saved it in my files. I made it one night for dinner, and it was pretty close to what we get in Ohana's. The only change that I made from the recipe is that I basted my chicken wings with the sauce before baking. That made them have that glaze like they do at Ohana's. I'm not sure where she got this recipe, but here you go:

Ohana’s Honey Coriander Wing Sauce
    Ingredients:
    1/8 cup chili powder
    1/4 cup ground ginger
    2 ea lime zest
    1/4 cup coriander
    1 cup soy sauce
    1 3/4 cup honey
    Method:
    Place all ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat until hot. Remove from heat and let cool. Serve with cooked chicken wings.
    Tara °O°

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

1) I find the problem is two-fold
    . . . the scale
    . . . the industrial kitchen equipment
    2) But, there is an easy fix to both
    . . . cook for 147 people
    . . . buy industrial stoves and cook surfaces
    3) Just invite a few friends over when you "cook Disney".
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) I find the problem is two-fold
    . . . the scale
    . . . the industrial kitchen equipment
    2) But, there is an easy fix to both
    . . . cook for 147 people
    . . . buy industrial stoves and cook surfaces
    3) Just invite a few friends over when you "cook Disney".
    I'll get right on that right after Ty Pennington does my kitchen makeover.
    Tara °O°

Next Up:

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any of the Disney cookbooks but I did get the recipe for maui mashed potatoes from 'Ohana off of the net and they turned out well. I've made them twice now. They don't taste exactly like the ones at 'Ohana. I put a little less of some stuff and a little more of others. I think the recipe calls for a little too much heavy cream. Next time I make it I think I'll put less in.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I Bought this last year but the only thing I made was the cheddar cheese soup which turned out lovely.

However i didn't exactly follow the recipie as I have to change the measures and things from US style to UK style.

I have yet to try anything else though - will have to see how other recipies turn out
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Okay. I have a confession. I currently own 4 or 5 Disney World cookbooks and I hardly ever use them! They are kind of dusty, but I love them and page through them occasionally.

I have made the Key Lime Pie, which is the same reciepe from book to book. It is easy and SUPER nummy. The last time I made it I think I ate over half of it myself. Really. (What a porker!)

I have made the dole whip that I got on intercot (Not in ANY of the books!). It tasted similar, but I think I added too much whipped cream. And my blender didn't work that great so it was sort of chunky. I will make it again... I think it would be great if made in an ice cream machine.

I love this post... I never thought to ask anyone if they are cooking from these books!!!
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

So I made a complete Ohana based dinner tonight, the bread, the salad dressing and the wings.

I have a full belly and I'm very very happy. The recipe for the wing sauce is dead on accurate. SOOOO TASTY.

Natazu Guest

We've done about four things out of that book. I can't remember the two that worked out to the letter, I'll check when I get home. I remember the Salmon dish from Coral Reef had to have a severe reduction in the amount of sea salt and the Sonoma Goat Cheese ravioli wasn't even close. I talked about this recipe with Chef Jeffrey from Le Cellier who was on the opening team for California Grill. He said "wow, that's way off. I'll write it down for you." I LOVE Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poeticeclipse View Post
    I don't have any of the Disney cookbooks but I did get the recipe for maui mashed potatoes from 'Ohana off of the net and they turned out well. I've made them twice now. They don't taste exactly like the ones at 'Ohana. I put a little less of some stuff and a little more of others. I think the recipe calls for a little too much heavy cream. Next time I make it I think I'll put less in.
    Where did you find the recipe for the potatoes? I'd love to be able to make them.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

La Cellier Cheddar Cheese soup is simmering on my stove right now. It smells soooooo good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyChick View Post
    La Cellier Cheddar Cheese soup is simmering on my stove right now. It smells soooooo good.

I hope yours turned out well. That is one of the things that I have made that turned out pretty close to what I had at Disney. The trick to that one is using the Moosehead beer.
    Tara °O°

Next Up:

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been to La Cellier so I have nothing to compare it to, but it was awesome.

The recipe is a pretty classic soup to make. (I went to culinary school for fun a few years ago.) It follows traditional soup patterns. I think next time I make it I might remove the bacon before adding the veggies and then add it back in at the end so it stays crisper.

I used Labatt Classic beer because I had some in the garage. I'll have to hunt around for Moosehead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McGoofy View Post
    I definitely know that elevation was not the problem. I live about 30 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean. We are about as close to sea level as you can get! That was a good thought though. The second idea could have been the problem. It was in no way even close to firm. I don't know what happened, but I won't attempt that again.
    When it comes to whipping cream, the trick is to make sure the whipping cream, metal bowl and metal whisk/beaters are frosty cold. Whipping in a room-temperature bowl with room-temperature beaters will leave you with soup for sure.

I have both editions of the Cooking with Mickey cookbook and have used them for 15 years. Everything I've tried in there turns out as it should. Some of the recipes have become family favorites.

As for the roast and cooking time, I learned (by experience similar to yours) that ovens cook differently. What is 350 on my oven in this house was 300 on my oven in my old house. And, of course, Disney is using professional everything, so that alone could contribue to your roast problem.

Don't give up.
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't guess the books have a recipe for the jamba juice at the Tusker House, does it??? We know it has guava and passion fruit, but can't remember if the other ingredient is pineapple or grapefruit juice or what. It is delicious and I would love to make it.
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: