Quantcast Dining Plan Rumor Confirmation?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dining Plan Rumor Confirmation?

I've heard a rumor that starting August 1st - the DDP will no longer include a tip. Has anyone heard something similar from a reputable source?

I also heard that if your DDP package was paid for by that date - that it would include the tip. Any confirmation on that?
    Dec 2002, All Star Music (1 yr anniversary)
    Dec 2001, All Star Movies (honeymoon)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If the tip isn't included....would the dining plan be cheaper?...and if so, would they find a way to make it about the same price?
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

Knowing Disney - I would doubt they would lower the price.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I know for sure (because I learned it here) is that the Disney Worker's Union was negotiating that very thing, namely that the Dining Plan would not include a tip. The reason being that the servers could then hide tip earnings from the IRS. I have no idea what the outcome was/will be on that.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ddp

What I would like to know is where people hear these rumors? We have the free dining in September, which is already paid for. How would they keep track of the date that you paid for the DDP?

Post Thanks / Like

We have a friend who is a programmer who has worked on the DDP system in the past - and he still has contacts at WDW.

In terms of knowing when you paid - their system would easily be able to encode your keys to the kingdom with or without tip charges on the DDP.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading about this in Rumors, and I, too, am curious to learn of the outcome. What I recall is that the deal they wanted was to keep the price of the DDP the same, but NOT include gratuity.

If they were to do this, I think they would see a decline in people purchasing the DDP. The biggest draw of the DDP, for me, is that everything is paid for up front, and you don't have to worry about carrying cash.

If they change it to not include tips, we're getting even less bang for our buck.

Anyway, has anyone heard what's happened??
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

not to worry,disney advertised free dining and specified tip included. they could do it for next year if they do the free dining again.

just a silly rumor that they would change it when the people are all booked.
    "there`s a great big beautiful tomorrow"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dyin tago View Post
    not to worry,disney advertised free dining and specified tip included. they could do it for next year if they do the free dining again.

just a silly rumor that they would change it when the people are all booked.
    So perhaps they would start it October 1st to avoid the Free Dining period.
    I don't think it has anything to do with free dining. Since they offer the dining plan year 'round, they could make the change whenever they want.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it's still included. I tend to leave a few extra dollars anyway for great service.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope they don't do this! I'm sure that so many people would just not bother to tip...no matter how much they were told that tip wasn't included!

I also love knowing that my meal is paid for, tip & all (although we do leave a couple of extra bucks when the service is really good).

Geesh...this could cause quite a bit of confusion.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm booked for November and.....

If they do this, then I guess my server is going to be SUPER angry because I will not leave a tip. I was booked for it being included and just because I don't have to have my final payment in til October does not mean I am stuck paying tips all the sudden! If they want me to tip, they better offer me free dining.
    Michigan Mommy, dreaming of Disney days!

Post Thanks / Like

If Disney would lower the price of the DDP to make up for not having the tip included I would still use the DDP. However, I do not tip as freely as the DDP did and a lot of places would probably not receive the full 18% gratuity. If it is the workers union then they'll soon find out that a lot of people won't tip near as well as the DDP did. It's not that the service is bad, it's more that we paid a certain amount for the DDP and to have a check with a dollar amount to tip on that is higher than what we paid for the DDP probably won't be greeted too well by any guests. Besides, not having gratuity added in so you can hide wages is against the law last time I checked.
    November 1997 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    November 1999 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    February 2002 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Honeymoon!)
    October 2006 - Old Key West (1st Trip with kids!)
    December 2008 - Old Key West (The not-so-great trip)
    October 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to be a generous tipper and the main reason for that is that I waited tables in San Diego while I was in grad school. I got stiffed way too often by travellers visiting from other countries (which will go unnamed) where they do not tip 15% as we usually do. While I don't wait tables for a living now, I can't help but wonder if it would have been better to pay the IRS whatever the tax was, and not get stiffed altogether. Just wondering...
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    I tend to be a generous tipper and the main reason for that is that I waited tables in San Diego while I was in grad school. I got stiffed way too often by travellers visiting from other countries (which will go unnamed) where they do not tip 15% as we usually do. ..
    My daughter waitressed while she was in college and after hearing her stories, my DH & I tend to tip a little more even if it is included on the tab. I think if the dining is offered free, then Disney should have the choice of whether paying your tip or not seeing that they are already picking up your tab.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is the wait staff fighting to have the tip not included, then they aren't very bright. I know too many people that take great pleasure in working their waiter/waitress to a frenzy and then leaving VERY LITTLE in return and sometimes nothing. They will hurt themselves with this. Also, there won't be as many people dining in the TS restaurants to gain tips from.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I just can't believe that it's true (that the waiters are fighting it). A guaranteed 18% tip is fantastic. Being able to talk up the ticket (convince the customers to buy more expensive items to bring the tip percentage up), and the customers having a "sky's the limit" attitude toward the menu pricing thanks to everything being included in a price they already paid...I mean that is as sweet as it gets. And of course, avoiding low tippers, people who forget to tip, not having to contend with cultural norms where there is little to no tipping (especially in a place where there is SUCH a high percentage of foreign tourists)... No...having been a server for 8 years myself, I can't imagine any server wanting to change that.

On the contrary, all the reasons stated above may have to do with why Disney would want to avoid it. If waiters are steering customers toward higher tickets to result in higher tips, but Disney gets no more money than if they went for cheaper items (and the tips are lower), it behooves The Mouse to separate tipping from the equation so waiters aren't as invested in trying to help customers milk the system to the max.

And there is the common complaint that service has gone down because waiters know they don't have to work for the tip--they get it no matter what. I have not experienced this personally, but have certainly heard it enough from people who travel to the World more frequently than I do. But I am certain that can have an unintended effect on even the most dilligent waiters. Tips are motivators, consciously or subconsciously. To not have to consider it as contingent on your level of service...well, it would be easy to allow your bad days to just be bad days and not really work through it to try and give the best service if it doesn't affect your bottom line...

Post Thanks / Like

I just really love the convenience of it. I love not having to carry credit and cash. All I need is my key to the World. Some of those servers are less than friendly and could probably use the incentive of their guests deciding their tip but I wouldn't trade my convenience!
    1977 Ft.Wilderness
    1980 Ft.Wilderness
    1987 Off Site
    1992 Off Site
    1997 Disney Institute-Honeymoon
    September 2006 PORS
    Sept 2007 Wilderness Lodge!!!!
    August 2009 POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinksmom02 View Post
    . . . If they were to do this, I think they would see a decline in people purchasing the DDP. The biggest draw of the DDP, for me, is that everything is paid for up front, and you don't have to worry about carrying cash.
    1) I don't see a decrease in the offing.
    2) The American public likes to Pig Out.
    3) The DDP allows this handsomely.
    4) I think the public will continue to buy it.

NOTE: Not to be too cynical, but how many posts have you seen where people talk about how much more food they ate while on DDP? They didn't have to eat, they wanted to eat! So, tip included or not included, the people will but it in order to gorge themselves.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a note: The Orlando Sentinel's website (business section) states the union ratified the contract this week and there was no mention of changes to the DDP or the issue of tipping. Not saying that it could still happen but it was not listed as a part of negotiations in the article.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: