Quantcast Gay Day

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gay Day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gay Day

I had a trip planned for this weekend of June 1-3 2007. I rec'd an email that it was going to be Gay Day in Disney this weekend. I canceled the trip. I have a young child and for a week-end get away I was not in the mood to explain that sort of alternative lifestyle (if he were to see things he has not seen before.) I am not sure if we would have encountered some uncomfortable situations. I know it is an unofficial Disney meeting. But I was curious of what happens when it is gay day?? What is it all about? I was just bummed about the weekend trip I had to cancel.
    Last edited by John; 05-30-2007 at 10:35 PM.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't go to the park they have scheduled for that day you probably won't have a problem. However, while waiting for a bus at DTD one night during this event we had to watch cross-dressers walk by us, headed to P.Island. I think the gay day participants (not cross-dressers) also hang out at different resort lounges sometimes.

My point is this: If you are not ready to confront this issue with your child, then I just want to reassure you that you probably did the right thing by canceling. It's more relaxing to know you can visit a park/resort without being stressed out that something awkward may come up. Hopefully you'll be able to reschedule!

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely think you made the correct decision. No matter what your thoughts are on this issue, Disney Gay Day can be a very uncomfortable situation. In addition, the parks are quite crowded.

I hope you are able to reschedule your trip and still have a fun weekend! to Intercot!
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

I believe they are doing MGM on friday, MK on Saturday and Epcot on Sunday.

I had planned on following the same schedule. Luckily I found out in time to rearrange my days.

I don't mind the gays i just really hate long lines.
    "in darkness there is power"

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been to WDW during gay days, but my friend went and told me that it's certainly not anything obscene. He said that he saw some couples holding hands, and giving each other quick kisses (no tongue, just an affectionate peck). He said there were a lot of families there (gay people have families too!). He did say it was crowded though.

So if you're trying to avoid crowds, I'd say skip it. If you're scared of "the gays", realize that most kids don't really care one way or the other (they're just happy to be at WDW!). It's usually the adults who have the issues, not the kids.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm completely straight and I make it a point to go to GayDay every year with my friends to show support. It's really a lot of fun and you can tell the entire atmosphere of the park is changed. Everything is more fun than on a "normal" day at the parks. I'll be there in my red shirt on Saturday and just hanging out in the parks on Friday. I've had people throw religious tracts at me and tell me how wrong it is to be gay. I'll tell them that I am straight and they ask me if I want another shirt. A different colored one. I tell them no because I'm being supportive, and there is no reason for them to be forcing their opinions on me. Gay day is one of the days I look forward to all year long, and it really is usually the parents that make it a big deal. I've seen straight people in the parks doing things that should only be done behind closed doors. Gay couples at the parks seem to be more respectful than the straight ones. Gayday is the best!!
    Former CM at Mission: Space
    ~Meredith

*We choose to go!*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BouncingTigger View Post
    So if you're trying to avoid crowds, I'd say skip it. If you're scared of "the gays", realize that most kids don't really care one way or the other (they're just happy to be at WDW!). It's usually the adults who have the issues, not the kids.
    I agree!!! I happened to mention the word "gay" in front of my then 7 year old nephew and he says "I know what that is, when a boy loves another boy" and then he blew it off. I actually called Disney to congratulate them on offering Dream Weddings to Gay couples. The called me back and offered thanks for my support. I am straight but know lots of gay people. I would be honored to be there during "Gay Days" but I prefer going during the off season.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone to DLR during Gay Days, and showed my support by wearing red. I actually expected some kind of feeling of the parks being different--a different energy or flow as a result of the event. But in fact, other than a sea of red shirts every now and again, it felt very much the same as any other day. I wanted it to be more obviously festive, but it wasn't.

And I suppose that is kinda the point. It is NOT meant to be an "IN YOUR FACE" gesture. it is more to bring awareness to a population of people who already come to the parks to enjoy it, much like any other day, only they are more visible to show you they are THERE. They aren't offensive or strange or ruin your experience. They are always there. Only on these days do they remind you by wearing red shirts to the park that they are present... It's more subtle than any rally could ever be, and somehow more effective for me...

I wouldn't avoid it, in your shoes. I understand your concerns, even if I don't "agree" with them. But other than crowds and some red shirts..same ol' same ol.

And I agree with others that gay for most kids is a non-issue. We adults are the dinosaurs who cling to these labels in most situations...

Edit: I just read the article referenced above. Tell me truly--is Gay days in Orlando that horrific? I have never read reports before now that touted it such. And my experiences at DLR are vastly different. So I am curious...

Post Thanks / Like

If you are uncomfortable with it, then by all means, you did the right thing in cancelling.

I have been to Orlando during Gay Days, and I have been to Orlando when it wasn't. Contrary to what some may try to tell you, it is a totally different atmosphere.

On a normal average day at any of the Orlando parks you will encounter several gay couples. Nothing outrageous or in your face, just the way it is.

During Gay Days in Orlando, well, it is 'in your face'. While the majority of the people there are respectful of others (just like hetero couples), there are more than enough people who are deliberately trying to 'shock'. Groping, making out it line, etc. Stuff you really wouldn't want your two year old to stare at from any couple, gay or not.

It is easy enough to get the gathering schedule and just avoid the parks that are the official places to be each day. For the most part, when you do that, the red shirts you come across are just those normal gay couples, not the ones with the 'spring break' attitude.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

You did the right thing by cancelling. IF you think you will be uncomfortable then you would be. You would be tense walking around "waiting for IT to happen"

I have not been there during gay days but I have been in Boston. It usually coincides with the first oldies concert at the hatch shell. I have always taken my boys and with the exception of some colorful outfits there is nothing to see. In fact it is usually the straight people who act inappropriate
    The other posters are right about it not being a big deal for kids these days. My oldest told me a few months ago that a friend of his had " come out" I asked how he felt about it. His response was "I kind of figured he was, He knows I'm straight so there is no problem."
    I found his response to be very mature.

We've also discussed the theory
    "if you think that all gays are attracted to you because you're the same sex is crazy. With that thinking then all heteros would be attracted to every member of the opposite sex"
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

I would have done the same as well. For those that say it is not a "big deal" for the kids these days, I must disagree. Being a high school administrator, I can tell you that the new thing to be is gay. Both male and female students are coming out all over the place at our school. If you do not think it is a big deal, try to call a parent and let them know their daughter is in the office for PDA with her girlfriend as I have had to do. I hope this is only a fad or an attempt for attention.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

I will keep my views out of the situation and say that if you feel like you don't want to expose your child to something that may or may not happen, that is certainly appropriate and you should not be faulted for doing this by anyone.

Disney World is a great place to go and people have a right to enjoy it despite race, gender, or sexual orientation. It is not about political agendas or making a statement. On the same token, you have a right to choose when it will be an appropriate time for you and your children to go.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I'm offering my support to the OP - if you want to avoid Gay Day to prevent your child from seeing something that you feel is inappropriate you certainly have that right as a parent. I too try to protect my kids from seeing things I don't want them to see, from any type of inappropriate behavior to violence. I know I can't protect them forever but when you know that it's Gay Day at WDW, you can plan around that. Situations that don't necessarily make me uncomfortable for myself can make me feel very uncomfortable in front of my children (or sometimes even my parents and I'm 38). Gays don't bother me, but my friends who are gay don't exhibit raunchy behaviors in front of my children either - in fact, I'm not sure the kids even know these people are gay. Friends who have been to WDW during Gay Day said it's not bad but very crowded and there are plenty of couples who will walk around holding hands and such. Depending on the age of your child, it might be a bit tricky to explain.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Supportive

I think that it is great that so many of you are so supportive to the gay community. As for the high school administrator who thinks that being gay is a "fad". Most studies confirm that being gay is genetic. It's true that even in our high school that there are girls that Pretend to be gay to be popular. I think that this is funny. And yes, it probably is just a fad. - But anyway, I've been to the Magic Kingdom on Gay Day, and all I saw was a bunch of nice people wearing colored shirts with their families. But if someone isn't comfortable with the subject, they may want to skip it.

Post Thanks / Like

You canceled your entire trip because of Gay Days? That's ummm... something.

What happens on Gay Days? The exact same things that happen any other day, with a bit of a bigger crowd.

I'm puzzled.
    ~ Kristen
    Disneyland - '78,'92,'93,'94,'95,'98
    Walt Disney World - '72,'73,'75,'76,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'83,'84,
    '85,'86,'87,'88,'89,'91,'96, '02, '05

Polynesian Resort with my Family & BFF, Dec '07!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willowwind View Post
    You canceled your entire trip because of Gay Days? That's ummm... something.

What happens on Gay Days? The exact same things that happen any other day, with a bit of a bigger crowd.

I'm puzzled.

From my understanding, the gay people stand in lines, go on rides and eat at the restaurants. Ooh... scary.
    We have our yearly vacation starting this weekend with our family. We are picking different parks than the gay days parks - only for the crowd factor.
    Many, many visits since 1973....

Post Thanks / Like

Some of you aren't really being very nice to the OP. She wasn't gay-bashing and she already said she wasn't sure that she would encounter any uncomfortable situations but wasn't willing to take the chance and have to explain it to her child. Obviously from her post, she didn't understand what Gay Day is all about - that's what she was asking. Not everyone is a Disney expert and knows that Gay Day involves them attending certain parks on certain days. And not everyone is comfortable with the idea of gays being affectionate in public - I don't even like when straight people are drooling over each other in public. If she doesn't want to spend her weekend worrying about whether her son will see a gay couple being affectionate and having to explain that to him, then what business is it to all of us? At least she's a parent who cares and wants to look out for what she feels is her son's best interest - look how many parents don't care these days.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I guess if being in the same place as gay couples was a cause of concern for you, it is probably best that you canceled your trip. Of course, you may want to reconsider your next trip to the beach, grocery store, movie theatre, shopping mall....

We were at WDW during Gay Days a few years back. It was hardly backstage at L'Cage Aux Folles. My son's most pressing question (he was about 5 at the time) related to the event was why was everyone wearing red and shouldn't we go back to the room and change into something red? Frankly, since he has classmates/friends growing up in same sex families, I think he would be pretty non-plussed by it. As I am.

I applaud Disney's welcome attitude for non-traditional unions and particularly, non-traditional "families".

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, Dee13, welcome to Intercot! I'm glad that you're able to reschedule your trip and that you didn't have to postpone your trip due to illness or a family emergency.

Secondly, Kathy, thank you for your wise words.

We are a friendly community here, and sarcasm is not the best way to get one's point across.

Please let's keep the conversation friendly and polite!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I would have cancelled too, if I were bringing my children. We were at Universal Studios a couple years ago and there was a gay couple that ended up in front of us before getting on the down escalator. And while my dd was younger at the time (I think she was about 7)she probably didnt notice two guys holding hands and one leaning his head on the others shoulder because of being somewhat drunk. Not being judgemental just that I would not have been ready to confront that issue then. I have talked to her somewhat about it now since she is older but still wouldnt want it to be in her face, so to speak. My two cents.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: