Quantcast Should Teachers Take Classroom Time off for Disney? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Should Teachers Take Time Off from School for Vacation?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

72 76.60%
  • No

22 23.40%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Absolutely.

If the school system allows it, why not? The teacher should strive to leave interesting activities and work for the kids so that they won't give a sub too much trouble, but most teachers are good about doing this, anyway.

Oh, by the way, teachers work more than 9 months a year. It's not like they go home when the kids leave on the last day of school and then come back on the first day of school. Most teachers I know spend at least another week working to get their classrooms cleaned up. Then, many of them take required classes or in-service meetings over the summer. Then, they work another two weeks before school starts in order to get ready for a new crop of kids.
    1992...off site
    1996...Dixie Landings
    1997...off site
    2000...Dixie Landings
    2002...Wilderness Lodge
    2004...POR
    2004...POFQ
    2005...15th anniversary!
    2007...October trip with the DD's!
    2008.. October trip! Woooohoooo!!
    2010...April trip! DD's are marching in the MK!

War Eagle!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is actually somehting we were just talking about the other day. My dad is a teacher and would like to go back to WDW but the times he is out of school WDW is either too hot or too busy or expensive to go. We were trying to convince him to go with us and just take the time off. God knows he has enough sick days banked up. But he refuses. I say go for it!!!!
    Upcoming trips to DL Hojo's Oct 19-25 and Pop Cen Dec 30 09-Jan 06 10

Pop Cen, Wilderness L, Disney Wonder, Coronado Spr Mar 8-16 09
    Pop Cen Dec 13-19 08 Jan 12-18 08 Sept 15-22 07 Jan 15-21 07 Sept 28-Oct 5 06 Aug 5-12 05
    All St Music Jan 6-11 05

Post Thanks / Like

Our summer actually ends up being about 7 weeks long when you look at end time and our 2 weeks of workshops and classroom setup in August. I typically work on writing Curriculum during the summer for my school (a Charter School). Most teachers that I work with have part time or full time summer jobs to just make it through the summer and pay their bills.

To the person who said teachers are well paid, please remember how much teachers have to spend out of pocket for school supplies and the such. I may make a decent living (in your eyes) on paper, but once I buy things like books, posters, all the school fundraisers, etc. it doesn't seem like so much. I also work with children who don't have much so I have been known to purchase coats, uniforms, etc. and donate them through our school's social workers for children in need.

Teachers deserve time to spend with their own families. When this doesn't happen, a lot of teachers can burn out.

Thanks for listening.
    Jen
    S-O-UTH F-L-O-R-IDA! South Florida, South Florida, GO BULLS!!!

August 2008: Port Orleans Riverside
    July 2007: Polynesian
    Feb. 2006: Pop Century
    Before that many day trips and too many to list!!! I've been going since I was 3!

Post Thanks / Like

I think there's such a misconception out there about teachers, especially concerning holidays. We do have more days off than most careers, but.... for the 9-10 months we are working, we're pretty much tied to the job all day long.

Teachers can't leave work to run quick errands like going to the bank or the pharmacy. Scheduling appointments is horrible because you have to get class coverage when you need to go to the dentist or doctor-- getting appointments after school is really hard because that's when parents like to work kids in, so you're competing with them!!

And no lunch hours. You get maybe 30 minutes to stuff some lunch down and most of the time you're in the cafeteria with the kids.

So, yeah, lots of days off in the summer, but no breaks at all during the school year!! It's sort of a trade off.
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a problem with a teacher taking a vacation during the school year if the district allows for it. In fact, I would rather see a teacher take a scheduled vacation - allowing a sub time to prepare to take over the class - than to call off and a sub fill-in last minute. Now before you blast me, I realize that call-offs are a part of life and can't be controlled in advance in most cases - I'm not saying that they can't call off. Just an aside, it amazes me how much teacher salaries vary throught the country. Teachers around here are pretty well paid in comparison to some with salaries at $35,000+ in public schools.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazypoohbear View Post
    ( And with every course they take it gives them a step increase which raises their salary!)
    Just an FYI this increase is not very large most districts average a $500 - $1000 step increase for a Masters Degree. Considering a Masters Program averages about $10,000 to complete it takes up to 20 years to recoop your investment and most school districts do not pay for classes.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessEmmasMommy View Post
    I also work with children who don't have much so I have been known to purchase coats, uniforms, etc. and donate them through our school's social workers for children in need.
    On a side note: What a wonderful teacher (and human being for that matter) you are! I don't think teachers in our area are paid well at all. And you are right, most teachers pay for there classroom supplies, what a shame that is. Note to parents reading this: pick up some supplies for your favorite teacher! Stickers, colored paper, pens and such really really help. Even the dollar store sells classroom supplies!You sound as generous as my son's teacher now. She actually paid a light bill for one of the student's families. The only reason I knew about it was not because she told anyone but I was friends with that person and she broke down and cried to me. Teachers always seem to get a bad rap, and for no good reason. There are parents that expect to drop off their child and have the teacher discipline them, teach them, watch them and set them on the right path without any cooperation from home. And if that child falls behind or gets in trouble it's the teachers fault! I have seen it happen, and no I am not a teacher although wanted to be one, just an involved parent to have enough sense that my son's future does not rely on the school. It's my responsibility.Okay end of my off topic rant!
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is a teacher. It absolutely stinks that they only allow you a max of 5 days vacation from class. Once you hit that 5 days of accumulated vacation, you no longer gain days. We are also responsible for paying for the sub out of our own pocket. That is even more ridiculous. The other vacation accumulated can only be used on Teacher Work Days.

Why should teachers be held to a different standard? If I could only go to WDW or anywhere for that matter during Spring Break, Christmas Break, or Summer, I would be stuck with only crowds no matter where we went. This is why we have not been to WDW in such a long time.

I am hoping my wife gets into a school that goes year round. They will be on 9 weeks, off 3 weeks, with all normal vacations otherwise (except Spring Break). This will allow us far more flexibility in vacations.

Points of note for teachers to take off:
    1. The Federal Government does not recognize teachers as full-time employees. We found this out when my wife was pregnant and put on bed rest. Since their hours and salary are based on a 9-month year, they are considered part-time and are not protected by FMLA (Federal Medical Leave Act).
    2. Teachers work over their breaks to catch up on what they cannot do on "teacher work days". Teacher work-days now consist of bureaucracy meeting and nothing gets accomplished. Teacher work-days are now taken away to cover weather makeup days.
    3. Summer Breaks now require classes and conferences which do not allow for real time off. My wife gets 8-weeks off over the Summer. 3 weeks are spent on these "recertification" or "required" continuing education courses.

Now, for the ones that think taking a week off is not right, the issue is not that the teachers are there or not. The issue has to do with Politics. Thanks to No Child Left Behind, all children have to pass. The only way to allow this is lowering the standards of which it takes to pass classes. If the Federal Government does not care what the children learn, then teachers don't care about what they teach, and taking the time off means nothing to anyone any way. (wow , that rambled).

Simply put, no one should be able to tell another when they can and cannot take vacation. If the District allows it, then the teacher deserves it.
    Last edited by Beast_fanatic; 04-26-2007 at 11:37 PM.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I are both teachers. I coach as well, which means I also work most of the summer. We have no problem taking off to go to WDW, or anywhere else we decide to go. We take a Friday off before a three day weekend, and an extra day or two during our Mardi Gras or Christmas break. They give us the days off to use, and we do use some of them each year.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    My wife is a teacher. It absolutely stinks that they only allow you a max of 5 days vacation from class. Once you hit that 5 days of accumulated vacation, you no longer gain days. We are also responsible for paying for the sub out of our own pocket. That is even more ridiculous. The other vacation accumulated can only be used on Teacher Work Days.

Why should teachers be held to a different standard? If I could only go to WDW or anywhere for that matter during Spring Break, Christmas Break, or Summer, I would be stuck with only crowds no matter where we went. This is why we have not been to WDW in such a long time.

I am hoping my wife gets into a school that goes year round. They will be on 9 weeks, off 3 weeks, with all normal vacations otherwise (except Spring Break). This will allow us far more flexibility in vacations.

Points of note for teachers to take off:
    1. The Federal Government does not recognize teachers as full-time employees. We found this out when my wife was pregnant and put on bed rest. Since their hours and salary are based on a 9-month year, they are considered part-time and are not protected by FMLA (Federal Medical Leave Act).
    2. Teachers work over their breaks to catch up on what they cannot do on "teacher work days". Teacher work-days now consist of bureaucracy meeting and nothing gets accomplished. Teacher work-days are now taken away to cover weather makeup days.
    3. Summer Breaks now require classes and conferences which do not allow for real time off. My wife gets 8-weeks off over the Summer. 3 weeks are spent on these "recertification" or "required" continuing education courses.

Now, for the ones that think taking a week off is not right, the issue is not that the teachers are there or not. The issue has to do with Politics. Thanks to No Child Left Behind, all children have to pass. The only way to allow this is lowering the standards of which it takes to pass classes. If the Federal Government does not care what the children learn, then teachers don't care about what they teach, and taking the time off means nothing to anyone any way. (wow , that rambled).

Simply put, no one should be able to tell another when they can and cannot take vacation. If the District allows it, then the teacher deserves it.

Just wanted to let you know, the Government does recognize teaching as a full time occupation. You should recieve FMLA benefits, however as with any occupation, FMLA will take from your sick and personal days. Check her contract, for example, my contract goes from my sign date to July 14th, the next years contract starts July 15th so that there are no gaps. Also, if your wife signs in say late August, then the contract should provide coverage from July regardless.
    If this is not happening, then ask your wife to check with her Union Rep for clarification.
    Last edited by Beast_fanatic; 04-26-2007 at 11:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.

To be honest, I haven't voted in the poll. I can't decide my opinion on this subject -- maybe writing this post will help me to make up my mind.

I am a teacher (4 full days a week) and my DH is also a teacher (5 days week). In my district we are given 3 personal days. We are often told by the union that we do not have to share the reason for our personal days with administration. It is up to the teacher's discretion. Our 3 personal days do NOT accumulate, and in the contract it is 'strongly encouraged' that teachers not use the days before or after a vacation day.

I don't know anyone in my school who has used all three personal days in a row. I'm not sure how administration would deal with that... it seems they would have to approve it (per contract) but if a teacher had many absences or other problems during the year they could probably turn it down.

I have used one personal day a year in the last two years to extend weekend trips to Disney. I don't think I could take more than one day off in a row. Teaching is my job and I need to be there to do it. Having a sub (however well qualified) is NEVER the same thing as having the teacher there. I am always looking for ways to get my students to achieve more, understand more... and if I'm not there, no matter how good my sub plans are, their achievement will not be as great as when I am there. (must admit it is hard to find qualified music subs)

So, I think I know what I want to say. If a teacher has not missed many days in the year, and they are dedicated and hardworking, I would have no problem with them taking personal days. I personally could not do more than one day, it wouldn't feel right to me.

TikiG
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

While I agree in theory with the argument that teachers have an obligation to the students and therefore shouldn't take off, I also disagree with it. Why should my psychologist have been allowed to take a month off? Talk about being in a routine! Why do we hold one profession more accountable than another?

The working only 9 months out of the year issue has already been addressed, and my points made, so I won't rehash, lol.

Something else is that while some some kids really need that structure, most kids are tickled pink to have a sub! I am graduating college in 2 weeks and I still hope every day that we have a sub (we never do, lol). And for students who need that structure, not everything in life is going to happen the way they want it to all the time, so having a sub may be a good thing in that it will teach the child coping skills to deal with change.

Plus, lets be honest. A teacher is either good or it isn't. The good ones are going to go on vacation for a week and probably not for the rest of the year miss a day if they can help it. They are going to have amazing sub plans, probably better than they would plan out for themselves. A good amount will use their vacation experiences as a teaching experience somehow, be it bringing things back from Epcot or shells they found at the beach. They are going to make sure their students have learned what they were supposed to learn while they were gone. The good teachers are going to know which of their kids need that structure and need their extra attention and are going to make sure those kids are comfortable with their leaving. The bad teachers aren't going to teach well all year and they're going to drive you crazy. So what if they go on vacation? Might be a blessing.

None of this is directed at anyone on the board, lol. But we all know that there are bad teachers out there, unfortunately I think they are becoming more and more prevelent.

Our education system is... beyond words. But that is a subject for another time.
    Star light, star bright,
    first star I see tonight.
    I wish I may, I wish I might,
    have the wish, I wish tonight.
    We'll make a wish, and do as dreamers do,
    and all our wishes,
    will come true.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another thing to consider...teachers don't get a paid vacation. Even workers at wal-mart accumumlate vacation time to be used at their discretion.

Here's a scenario to consider. My brother is an engineer and makes gooooooood money. He gets 6 weeks of paid vacation in addition he gets all holidays off and if the holiday falls on a weekend, the following Monday and he doesn't work on Sat or Sunday. Now the math...365 - 30 vation days = 335 - 10 holidays = 325 - 104 weekend days...total days worked in a year 221 days...that's 30 days more than I work in a year. My point is that when you do the math there are many professionals out there who don't work much more than teachers do...even my father who was a blue collar worker had earned 6 weeks of paid vacation after 20 years at his mill. I've been a teacher for 20 years and I don't get a paid vacation...not even Christmas!
    TTFN,
    Brenda

1/90 off site
    12/94 Villas at Disney Institute
    12/97 off site
    2/99 Carribean Beach
    7/02 Polynesian
    4/03, 11/03 Wilderness Lodge
    9/04, 11/05, 6/07 1/09 VWL
    12/04, 12/07 SSR
    4/05 Contemporary Resort
    7/06, 4/07 ASMu
    11/06 BCV
    6/08 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

My mother has been a teacher for over 20 years.

She too pays for supplies for most of her high school students, and have for years, as the allowance set by most districts is very limited and only bare essentials.. nothing to make teaching exciting or worthwhile.

She works hard, even on "vacation". Most of the student holidays are really teacher in service days. Very few holidays during the year are true holidays for teachers. The only true "vacation" that my mother gets that a regular worker doesn't get is spring break, Christmas,and a few weeks during summer. A lot of teachers work on Saturdays as well.

Not only are they working before your children get there, they are working after they leave, and for a while at that. In addition, they have to take a lot of work home, working 'after hours' that they really don't get paid to do.

I am all for a teacher taking off for a week to go anywhere. They work very hard for the "9 months" they do work. Most other jobs allow a week in the middle of the year for a vacation. What excludes a teacher from taking a week off in the middle of it all? Most responsible teachers will only take a week off when it will not truly impact the children's progress. We had to work around state wide testing and inservice dates for my mother to take off for our Oct trip.

To my mother, family comes first. My grandparents gave me a week long Disney cruise for graduating college. My mother told them, "My daughter just graduated college. I'm going on this cruise to celebrate." She also told them that if they didn't allow her to go, she'd quit, because family is before work.

If you take an average teacher's salary, and divide it by just classroom time, you will find that it is probably hovering minimum wage, of course the more years experience you have, the more you will get paid. Then add in in-service and Back to School Nights, and Parent Teacher Conferences, and open houses, and late nights grading papers and tests, and planning (which you have to do out of the classroom because you can't do it while teaching). It adds up. They work hard, and are often underappreciated, taken advantage of, and are often not rewarded for the job they do. Most teachers teach because they want to shape children's minds and teach them to become great adults.

I don't see how that allowing teachers only 5 personal days off a year, making them and their family vacation during the summer, when its hot and crowded at many destinations, is justifiable, even when they have a summer vacation that most other jobs don't have.

For the record: I'm all for children being taken out for family vacation, as long as they allow time for the teacher to have plans ready, and all the work is done when the child comes back. That doesn't teach them to be irresponsible. If anything, it teaches them to be accountable for their actions. Sometimes you do have to work a little harder before you can have a little fun.

I say let teachers have their week off. If the president can go on vacation, I think a teacher can.
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by btuskan View Post
    Here's another thing to consider...teachers don't get a paid vacation. Even workers at wal-mart accumumlate vacation time to be used at their discretion.

Here's a scenario to consider. My brother is an engineer and makes gooooooood money. He gets 6 weeks of paid vacation in addition he gets all holidays off and if the holiday falls on a weekend, the following Monday and he doesn't work on Sat or Sunday. Now the math...365 - 30 vation days = 335 - 10 holidays = 325 - 104 weekend days...total days worked in a year 221 days...that's 30 days more than I work in a year. My point is that when you do the math there are many professionals out there who don't work much more than teachers do...even my father who was a blue collar worker had earned 6 weeks of paid vacation after 20 years at his mill. I've been a teacher for 20 years and I don't get a paid vacation...not even Christmas!
    You know, this is true. You also hear a lot of people griping that teachers get paid all summer! I try to explain that (here anyway) their salary reflects 185 days of work but they spread the pay out over the entire year. I usually get a blank stare

My husband is at the top of his district's pay scale. He has a Master's Degree and a CAGS degree (post Master's, pre Doctorate) which we are STILL paying for (I think JPL mentioned this catch 22). He also has 11 years in (last step increase). So, his pay will actually go DOWN every year if health insurance or retirement increases more than his slight cost of living increase every year. Yikes!! Thankfully, only a few more years until I can go back to teaching or some other profession full time (I am home with my kids right now and have been for 10 years).

I love all the support for the teacher's vacations. When I posted this I actually didn't find it unreasonable that we had to always vacation during Feb or April breaks, Christmas, or the summer. I thought it was just one drawback in the job. I am trying to get my husband to take just two days after the Veteran's Day holiday for our short trip to Florida. He can take the one comp. day he gets per year but it is pretty much forbidden to take another day next to that after a long weekend. It could be done but he is hesitant to do it. I would love to spend four days there instead of the three but we'll see how it goes!

Oh, and two of our former teachers at our children's school had to take time without pay. One thought our vacation was starting earlier than it did and one was celebrating her husband's 80th birthday. They lost 1/185 of their entire salary for each day they missed. It's not just 8 hours or 1/5 of your weekly pay......so they actually lost about a week's pay for taking a couple of unpaid days off. I thought that was ridiculous!!

Anyway, interesting replies. I think we need a few of you in our teacher's union
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

When I was refinancing my mortgage a while back we were all ready to sign the papers and finish things up. I went to the bank on my scheduled day and time and, can you believe it, my Loan Officer was not there. She had the nerve to go on a weeks vacation right when she was supposed to be finishing up my paper work. Another person in the Loan department took over for us. But, as you can imagine, I was outraged that she did not have more dedication to her job and her clients.

True story - except for the outrage part!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Of course!

Teachers here in Georgia have vacation time to use whenever they choose but I know it is frowned upon, but the way I see it is a job is not more important than your own family and your happiness. And why are there such things as subs if you are not suppose to miss work??

July 2001--FW
    Christmas 2005--Offsite
    Oct 2007--GF
    May 2008--Pop
    Oct 2009--Poly
    Oct 2010--BW
    Nov 2010--CS
    Nov/Dec 2011--BW
    Feb 2012--GF
    April 2012--AS
    Sep 2012--WL
    April 2013--Fantasy (eastern carribean)
    Sep 2013-SS
    Sep 2014-Fantasy (western carribean)
    Jan 2015-CS
    May 2016-Fantasy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Just an FYI this increase is not very large most districts average a $500 - $1000 step increase for a Masters Degree. Considering a Masters Program averages about $10,000 to complete it takes up to 20 years to recoop your investment and most school districts do not pay for classes.
    Things must be different here in my home town.
    Not only do the teachers and STAFF at the local schools get a step increase they also get a cost of living raise and an average 3% raise per year. that's 3 increases each year.

They just renewed their contract, they pay nothing for health insurance and their co pay is $5.00 per doctor visit, 5.00 -15.00 per perscription, nothing for hospitalizition.

My DH hasn't received a raise in TWO years, we pay $120.00 per WEEK health insurance and our co pay is 15.00 for doctors and perscriptions run $10-$40.00 each!
    We each only get 2 weeks vacation per year. Neither of us get sick time EVER

The teachers here accumulate 15 sick days per year that can be carried over and "sold back" when they retire up to a full year.
    ALSO,
    3 personal days per year

Out of a 7 period day they recieve per contract.
    1 "department period
    1 "planning period
    1 coffee break (15 minutes)
    1 lunch break ( 30 minutes)
    And Tuition reimbursement!
    Granted they don't get the total amount spent on schooling reimbursed but close to it.
    I know from reading different posts that things are quite different through the country but here in MA especially suburban Boston the teachers here have quite a contract!
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Crazypoohbear

Maybe you should look into teaching yourself. I know Mass. is going to need a lot of teachers in the next 10 years. I think you might need a Master's Degree to even start teaching now but if you really think they have it made, you should go for it yourself However, your district is quite unique in offering full health insurance! We pay almost 120.00 a week and the same copays as you do. They really add up after a kidney transplant, let me tell you!! Anyway, I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I always say, don't complain about what you don't have-go get what it is you think you want! I'm trying to figure out how to pay for my Master's so I can go back to teaching. I don't do it for the perks, though. I have other reasons like making a difference in children's lives Although that 425.00 a week from that 34,000 salary would be great and would almost cover our mortgage!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlinmagic4 View Post
    Hi Crazypoohbear

Maybe you should look into teaching yourself. I know Mass. is going to need a lot of teachers in the next 10 years.

You are right, Mass is going to need a lot of teachers in the next 10 years. that's why I told my DS that I thought it would be a good career choice for him!

I think you might need a Master's Degree to even start teaching now but if you really think they have it made, you should go for it yourself
    Actually you don't need a Master's to teach, there are several teachers here who have a teaching certificate, every year they get "permission from the superintendent to keep teaching"
    If you had a masters from what was just in the newspapers here the teachers with Master's are making between 60,000 and 100,000.

However, your district is quite unique in offering full health insurance!
    Yes it is quite unique, when the teachers were doing "informational picketing" in front of city hall regarding health insurance it only outraged most of the middle class residents, who like you and myself pay quite abit out of pocket for insurance. We pay almost 120.00 a week and the same co pays as you do. They really add up after a kidney transplant, let me tell you!! Anyway, I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I always say, don't complain about what you don't have-go get what it is you think you want!
    I did work for the school system for several years. I don't want you or anyone else to misunderstand, I think teaching is a great profession but I just don't think that teachers are the "working poor" here where I live
    I'm trying to figure out how to pay for my Master's so I can go back to teaching. I don't do it for the perks, though. I have other reasons like making a difference in children's lives Although that 425.00 a week from that 34,000 salary would be great and would almost cover our mortgage!
    34,000 is the starting salary, again it's public record, and if that amount is divided by 52 weeks that's $654.00 per week. Not a bad beginning for a starting salary out of college!

I didn't mean to upset you but when you see what teachers make here and compare it with other parts of the country I feel the teachers here have it pretty good!

That being said I still believe that the teachers should have the right to take their Disney vacation when it's convenient for them, not when dictated.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Share This Thread On Social Media: