Quantcast How Much Of A Tip Do You Leave For Mousekeeping?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: How much of a tip do you leave for Mousekeeping per day?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Higher than $5

1 1.20%
  • $5

22 26.51%
  • $4

15 18.07%
  • $3

14 16.87%
  • $2

16 19.28%
  • $1

1 1.20%
  • Don't leave a tip

16 19.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How Much Of A Tip Do You Leave For Mousekeeping?

Another thing I often wondered..... If we get good service we leave $5 a day on the nightstand usually with a note of thanks. Usually something my son has drawn. If a holiday happens we also leave a little present. Last February 14th my son left a small box of chocolates. We don't leave the tip weekely in case someone else does the room the last day. It would not be fair. As a rule we always do have the same Mousekeeper but on 2 occassions we have also had different people. We have learned to leave it daily from now on. It will be interesting to see the poll results.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Since there are four of us, we leave $5 everyday. I agree with not leaving a tip at the end of the trip. There is nothing to say you won't get the ame Mousekeeper everyday of your stay.

My DW likes to make up envelopes with Disney stickers on it for Mousekeeping.

5 days to go!
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

We do a $1/person/day. So when it's me and my husband we give 2.

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I left $2/day for the mousekeepers. There were only two of us and we kept the room very tidy. We had everything put away each day before we left for the parks, so the mousekeepers could do their job without having to deal with our clutter.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

....and the last day we leave $5, since it's more work to turn the room over for new guests.

Post Thanks / Like

Technically, it's supposed to be a non-tipped position, but we also do $1/person/day.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Since there are only 2 of us we usually leave 2 dollars a day. But we do leave special little presents which we pick up during our trips to DLRP, like special postcards or pins.
    DL: 92, 93, 94, 96, 97, 2000, 2006
    DLRP: 98, 99, 2000, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09 WDW: 00, 02, 03, 04, 05: POR, PCR 06: YCR, OKW 07: P0R, ASMo, OKW , 08: POR, POP
    09: WDW and DCL Aug 15 to Sept 12 (can't beat free dining), CBR, OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I leave $3 per day for my DW and me.
    Polynesian Resort (1st Anniversary) - Dec 2007
    Coronado Springs Resort (Honeymoon) - Dec 2006

Post Thanks / Like

You can call me a cheapskate and I am sure my comments are likely to stir up a debate, but we no longer leave a tip for housekeeping. The reason we don't leave a tip is very simple. . .we don't see any difference in the quality of the service regardless of whether we leave a tip or not.

We also don't leave a tip because of a conversation I had with two Disney cast members several years ago. At that time I was at Disney World attending a seminar put on by Disney. During one of the presentations, a person from casting and a person in charge of housekeeping were addressing us. They mentioned that Disney feels that tipping Mousekeeping staff creates a situation that de-motivates many of the Mousekeeping staff.

The speakers said that they want Mousekeeping staff to provide the same, high-level, quality of service regardless of whether they receive a tip or not. When guests regularly leave a tip they have found that some of the staff end up working for the tip and not doing what they are being paid regularly to do.

The speakers also said that their surveys over the years have regularly shown that poor service from Mousekeeping along with poor service from those Cast Members who sell admission to the parks have the most significant impact on guest's overall satisfation with their stay at Disney World. Of course, this is among people staying on property, and does not include those staying off property!

After hearing the above, we decided not to tip Mousekeeping anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

We usually give $1.00 per person per day. There are usually 4 of us so we leave $4.00-$5.00. We will have two rooms this year with 5 people so I don't really know how to work this one. Maybe $3.00 per room per day. I really can't afford to leave much more than that every day. We will be there 7 days and although $42.00 does not seem like much $ when you are visiting Disney... we are on a pretty tight budget.
    '92 Port Orleans, '94 Condo/Off Site, '97 All Star Sports, '01 All Star Movies, '04 Pop Century, '07 Off Site, '07 All Star Music, '09 April Pop Century, '10 Pop Century, '12 All Star Sports,'14 AoA, '15 POP, '17 POP
    "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep." Cinderella

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought of it that way. Jasper,Thanks for the input! Although our room is always picked up by me (I am a neat freak, blame my mother!) I always left a tip. I cannot imagine what some of these Mousekeepers encounter. I had a friend in college work for a famous hotel chain, not connected with Disney in any way, for some extra cash. THe stories I heard about what slobs people were or what they expected the housekeepers to do. I know that is a choosen job but geez I could never never put up with it. I always left a tip because who knows what that person encountered that day, I don't wanna think about it. It might have lifted their spirits a little. Although your post does make lots of sense.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

I know it can add up the days you are there! $42 is some souvenier money!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    The reason we don't leave a tip is very simple. . .we don't see any difference in the quality of the service regardless of whether we leave a tip or not.

The speakers said that they want Mousekeeping staff to provide the same, high-level, quality of service regardless of whether they receive a tip or not. .

We always tip $5 each day in a special envelope and don't really expect to see any special treatment for it.
    I guess that we have always been lucky in our stays to get that "high quality service" through out the whole week of our stay.
    I view that as quality of the mousekeepers, not anticipation for a tip.
    D-A-D-D-Y needs C-O-F-F-E-E !

May '00 Honeymoon
    March '02 Easter with 7
    Jan ' 03 Romantic Getaway
    Oct '03 MNSSHP
    Aug '06 New addition's 1st trip
    Sept '07 No boys, but everyone else!
    June '09 Everyone !!

Post Thanks / Like

When we stay in a villa on points, we don't tip since there is no mousekeeping - just new towels after a few days since we handle our own trash.

When we book a regular stay, we tip about $2-3 per day for 2 adults on the last day of stay.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Like most others, we leave $1 per day, per person. BUT....if the mousekeeping is bad, we don't tip at all! Our last trip at ASMu, it was so bad it was comical! Our mousekeeper most days was a middle aged man! The spread on the bed was put on sideways and was barely on one side of the bed and completely tucked in on the other (presumably to get it off the floor!). The bathroom was never touched. The third day we specifically did things to tell if he had touched it - he didn't! I suppose we could, or even should, have complained, but we were only in the room to shower and sleep - we'll let the next person rat on the guy. I didn't want him to be fired, but I certainly was NOT going to give him a tip! (Oh, and BTW, I've never had service this bad before, onsite or off).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Funny!

Last time we stayed at ASM we had a Mousekeeper that was absolutely terrible! Let's not talk about tip here! The rubbish was not taken out for 2 days. The 3rd day my husband put the rubbish right in the path you walk, she finally emptied it. There were 4 people in our room and she would leave towels for 2. We approached her one day and as we were talking she shook her head as if she did not understand english. A few minutes later we all left the room only to find her conversing to another Mousekeeper in English. We still chuckle about it. We saved some money on tips that stay.

Post Thanks / Like

We leave $5 per day. We have (4) people in the room.

pogo Guest

We leave three dollars a day for two of us if the service is good.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We leave $5 per day for the 5 of us. We do the "Mousekeeping" envelopes and leave them as we leave the room in the morning to start another fun filled day inWDW!
    I always tip good service. If I receive poor service, I won't tip but I will (politely) let management know so that they can correct the problem.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

We typically leave $4 or $5 / day (four of us).

In December, we will be travelling with the inlaws, and have requested adjoining (not necessarily connecting) rooms. MIL is infamous for her lousy tipping - at restaurants, I usually quietly supplement whatever she has left so that I can return there to eat again

If our rooms end up being next door or even across the hall from one another, will we have the same mousekeeper? It would be much easier for me to leave the tip for both rooms in one envelope in our room, noting on the envelope that this is for both rooms. I don't think I'd be able to sneak into their room each morning to leave a second tip envelope, and I don't think I could deal with having tipping as a conversation topic for the rest of my married life

What do you guys think?
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: