Walt Disney World to Close the Animal Kingdom Park

In a stunning announcement this morning, the Walt Disney Company has announced the closing of their largest, and some would say least successful, theme park, Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

The announcement, made this morning outside of the park during a hastily called press conference, shocked many.

“The Walt Disney Company has decided that the Animal Kingdom Theme Park will close after this summer’s busy season,” stated Vice President Mary Steiner. “We feel that this park cannot continue to operate under the strict standards that Disney holds itself to.”

Steiner further commented that the Animal Kingdom Park has lost money since its first year, and Disney Imagineers have continually stated that they wanted to put their efforts into more crowd pleasing endeavors.

Guests had mixed feelings.

“I only come here for the new coaster,” stated Orlando native Tony Dawnson. “This park has nothing else to offer me. I like Disney just fine, but they blew it on this one!”

“It’s a shame,” said Cathy Partington toting her two daughters. “We love the park; it’s beautifully done; the plants, the animals, the themes. We’re devastated by this news.”

Steiner alluded to the fact that the Animal Kingdom’s attendance pales in comparison to the other three parks at Walt Disney World. “We anticipated a much more positive response from the public. However, with the land being used here, Disney can do some fantastic things.” She did not elaborate on what the future plans of said land would be.

Steiner further went on to ease people’s minds regarding the animals at the park. “All our animals will be relocated. They will find new homes in either Walt Disney World or at an accredited zoological park. Many of the animals from our Kilimanjaro Safaris attraction will be used at the new expansion at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge.”

She gave no further indication of what would happen with the land, once the park has been vacated.

-Associated Press
AP Writer Joe K. Ster
April 1, 2007