Quantcast Can TOO much planning ruining a WDW vacation??? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

My last trip was a solo trip...I threw it all together with the help of Wendy @ MJ in less than 2 weeks before I left. I had resort and DME ressies, and my flight booked...that was as much of a plan as I had...I knew where I wanted to go, but had no ADR's or any solid plans other than I wanted to ride EE and see Wishes.

My September trip is very different. My mom and I took advantage of the Bounceback program they offered last winter, so we have the dining plan this time. We have had to plan more for this trip than we ever have for any of the others (because we needed ADR's to use up our credits) and I have to say, I don't really like it all that much. I love our trips when we just fly by the seat of our pants and do what ever we feel like when we wake up!

I think as long as you don't have a flip out in MK because it's 3:10 and you are only at Pirates, but you were supposed to be at Splash, but Sally had to go potty, and that threw off the schedule, a little planning doesn't hurt anyone! Just know that some of the best things in WDW can't be planned, so go with the flow and have a great time!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the planning - my family always whines about how I plan everything out and they think it should be totally spontaneous - and most of the trip is spontaneous - but once we get to disney - they all look to me and say what are we doing today(and I love every minute of it )
    08/07 Ft. Wilderness Cabins (WAHOO!)
    10/06 All Stars Music (me & dd)
    6/06 POFQ
    6/05 Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    1/05 Offsite and Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    8/03 Offsite
    3/02 Offsite
    9/99 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I am also an obsessive planner. However, I have learned not to spout out about every detail to the people who are going on vacation with me. If they ask a question, I will answer but mostly they get irritated if they are constantly bombarded with all that is going to happen each day, every minute. You can however, be on this board everyday asking as many questions as you want and everyone here understands. So welcome and try to enjoy yourself. Because another thing I have found out is that no matter if you plan down to every minute something is going to change somewhere.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I've been doing this for MANY years. Started when my youngest was only 6 weeks for his first trip(the others were 4 and 11 at the time)..let's just say the baby is going to be 16 in June. We have another May trip scheduled. It's great that you have a plan. Even your ADR's..which to me..I just hate having to plan that all out. But I can understand that now it's better to have them than to not. I did it myself for our May trip. You can always cancel if you don't feel like going with the plan. I do think you might have gone over the edge there with the color coordinated attire for each member of your party. Especially with the 14 year old..good luck with that! I mean you certainly can dress your kids in what you think appropriate, but I'm sorry, I had to laugh when I read that even your brother..and his 14 year old are dressing in the "color of the day"..so to speak. You need to lighten up a little and ENJOY the vacation. Relax. If you don't ..you are going to need a vacation from the vacation when you get back. As other's have mentioned..realize that you are not going to see and do everything. That's okay. Sometimes the best times are spontaneous..and maybe just kicking back and enjoy each other..and some fun in the resort pool. I know it's easy for me to say..we've been to the world quite a few times now. Our trips are mostly to see what is new..and what we enjoy doing from previous trips. We don't have that overwhelming desire to race through the parks seeing and doing everything. I do understand and remember it though. Our first trip..I had the tour book in hand..and knew exactly where to go and where to stand. I had two kids in strollers and an 11 year old. My mom trailing about 50 feet behind..with my husband feeling sorry for her and doubling back! So, honestly..I do understand having a plan...but I will tell you some of the best times my kids have had, have been in the pool or even in the game room..because they were kids..and that's what kids like to do. I even have a photo of my kids ..the youngest standing on a box so he could reach the controls of a game in the Wilderness Lodge Arcade. You know..it's one my favorite photos of them..yeah it's in a game room..but they were together and having a ball. (literally..the youngest climbed up the basketball game to put the ball in the net..what can you do? he was 4). Those are the moments you look back on and laugh..and those are the memories that you create as a family. They can be in the Magic Kingdom..or at a character meal..or just splashing around in the pool. Have fun..and enjoy your trip.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

it KILLS me to see people overplan and make their vacation so tight with schedules and must dos that it looks more like boot camp than vacation! A few plans are ok, but you have to approach WDW with a laid back attitude. There are so many people, rides sometimes are out of service, restaurants get too crowded, there are just too many variables to set concrete plans.
    Last trip we decided we were going to see certian attractions, and eat at a few places, but did not set times or dates. it works much easier that way. In my opinion, schedules are for jobs, not for vacations!
    Also, the tip I learned last trip was to schedule a "FREE DAY" where you have absolutely ZERO plans. This way if anything is missed, or if you find something you really like you have a day to take care of it.
    Bottom line : PLAN LESS=RELAX MORE!
    Have a great trip!
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Planning is a good thing - being upset when things don't work out as expected is not. I think at today's WDW planning is necessary. For example, have fun finding somewhere to eat if you do not make an ADR. On the other hand, too much planning can lead to disappointment if you are not adaptable. For instance, what if that ride on Soarin' has to wait a day due to a mechanical breakdown. You should be adaptable enough to have fun enjoying something else "outside of your plans."
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanGStefani24 View Post
    Bottom line : PLAN LESS=RELAX MORE!
    Have a great trip!
    Well, that's not always true (it's certainly not for me). All of you discussing this are speaking to your own personality and preference. There is no correct answer to this question. If you're a Type-A personality, then chances are you'll be more stressed if you don't plan everything out. If you're a laid-back personality, you'll be more stressed planning. Someone once said to me, "The greatest diet in the world is the one you'll actually stick with." That's true for planning. The only correct answer to this question is the one that works for you.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe just ask yourself the question, How has your obsessive planning worked for you in the past? Did everything work out well or were people getting upset? Also if everyone going with you is willing you may all do the planning together so everyone can have some input on what they really want to do. Maybe even ask everyone involved how they feel about what you have planned out already and if they like the idea.

I am one of those laid back types were I only plan any ADR's I want and what parks I want to do each day. It has worked out great for me.

Hopefully everything goes great for you. Just remember WDW is a place for fun, where you can throw all your worries from the real world away for a while. Thats why I choose the quote from Walt Disney for my signature.

WDW can be very overwhelming for a first timer but listen to everyone here when they you will not be able to everything in one trip unless maybe you stay for a couple weeks. It's ok to save some things for your next trip. One thing that would help with ride times is get an understanding of the fast pass system (which is free for everyone to use)and what rides use fast pass.

One fun thing to do is get those free personalized park maps. You can get one for each park. They are pretty cool. Here is a thread about it with a link. http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...d.php?t=100093
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! I am yet another planner... must be a symptom of being a Disney fanatic. And I have to say I agree w/ everyone who says planning is half of the fun - maybe even more!

When my DH & I took our DD's last may, my MIL went with us as well, and she teased me for all the planning I had done. I wasn't obsessive about it, but just had a general idea of what park to hit each day, where our ADR's were and lots of tips I'd learned from I'cot about where to be and when in order to get around the rides and parks most easily. Well, two days in and she was loving all the planning I'd done... mostly b/c the sense of urgency was gone - we knew what we wanted to see, we knew what we were willing to miss, and we managed to do most of what we'd wanted to do without having to run around like crazy.

I think Disney is the perfect vacation for planners - it gives us the chance to enjoy our vacation before we even leave, and I think it totally reduces the stress when you're there, as well. Like others have said, being flexible is the key - kids get tired just when you least expect it, or else they dislike an attraction you think they'll love - as long as you're willing to miss a few things, or re-arrange your plans a bit, you'll be fine.

And just a tip re: kids and getting separated - that was one of my biggest fears, too - each day, I took a small piece of fabric tape and wrote my DH's and my cell phone #'s on it and put it below the tag of their shirt, on the inside. They knew to tell a CM where the number was in case they got separated from us, and we would be just a phone call away.
    I've heard lots of other ideas similar to that - I'm sure if you search the boards, you'll find lots of good ones!

Good luck, enjoy the planning, and have a GREAT trip!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the poster who said (sorry, I didn't catch the nym) that planning for some people is more a process of researching than it is actually mapping out every detail. I find that to be more the truth for me, anyway.

My planning has been this much:
    1) Made a vague plan of where we wanted to be on what days. Meaning, MK is always day 1, we knew Epcot would be day 2, we wanted to make sure we had some nights at DTD, we wanted to have a day at a water park when it wouldn't be too busy so that meant a weekday, you get the idea...

2) Made ADR's (for us, DDP or no, it revolves around the FOOD! WDW is sooo delicious! Well, the food is. I am sure the park would be lovely eating if you liked metal and cement, and landscaping as a nosh...

3) Solidified the loose schedule somewhat. I designed a chart in a text document (Virgo! *raising hand) which was basically a calendar in that it was a series of boxes laid out by dates of our trip. I divided each one into top and bottom, representing morning and evening parks or activities. In the top corner of each box, I listed the scheduled hours for each park for each day, and underneath typed our planned park for each section of the day, and our ADR with the ressie time and confirmation number.

3a) the first time I did this, on our last trip, I actually put the parks we wanted to go to on color coded post-its, which fit neatly into the boxes sectioned off for morning and evening parks/activities. MK was blue post-its, Epcot was yellow, MGM was purple, and AK was, what else, green. The post-its allowed me to shuffle around my schedule without having to erase or re-type up anything. Just unstick and restick where I thought we would like to be. This worked great. I would do it that way again, but I am enjoying trying a new system this time.

4) We shopped for some new clothes and planned outfits for the days we were going to be there. Not exactly which we would wear each day specifically (save for a couple nice dinners, which we had dress/suit for just that occasion), and I packed them in bundles--tee shirt with the skirt it was to go with, undies, etc. I usually pack this way, but particularly took care in what to buy and wear since the weather was going to be so different from my hometown of Seattle.

We also had a printed list of the must-see attractions for each park based on reading about them and recommendations from places like this! I kept it folded with our other paperwork, and checked things off each night when we got back to the hotel.

When we went, it was in 2004's nutty hurricane season. Things were canceled and postponed all over the place. My system worked great for rearranging things without a fuss. And though I would not consider myself unyielding, I do enjoy my schedules to stay on-track. I was pleased to discover that I was entirely unfazed by the changes, because I felt that all the research I had done in making my plans allowed me to understand how these hiccups would not in the least ruin my trip just because things got shuffled. I had a good grasp on the whats, wheres, whens, and hows of making sure we still got to do the things we most wanted to, despite the change in the loosely, though carefully and lovingly, planned schedule.

Ultimately, what is too much planning for one person is not enough for another. We have commando-tourists on here as well as the every-detail-ers. So long as your style works for you and your family, then do what you will. The only times I get worried about people as overplanners are those who admit that they freak out or generally can pout or fume over the littlest changes, and end up ruining the trip for their family and friends they are traveling with. If this is something you know you are capable of, I would use this as an exercise to do a little *less* planning than you might normally do, and challenge yourself to be a little more flexible and fly-by-the seat. You may discover you have some skills in improvisation you never knew you had, and make the trip more enjoyable for your entire party.

Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

My take...I plan, plan, plan ahead of time, so it feels effortless on the vacation. I am always willing to shake things up, but I have dining reservations, I have ideas on where we should eat counter service meals based on the sections we'll probably be in at that time of day, and I have a ride order plan. That doesn't mean I run from ride to ride and time it to the minute. I just have a general plan...first the rides that collect the lines the quickest, that kind of thing. I plan in breaks, so we relax and don't need a vacation from our vacation. My family has no idea...they know I plan like crazy but they don't understand that is the reason they barely have to stand in line and they enjoy every second of their trip. In my opinion, Disney is not a fly by the seat of your pants kind of place. Not unless you want to spend your day in line, that is.

Charts for clothes? Yep, got it. Little laminated cards? That too...but only one a day, for ME, not everyone in my party. I plan so much that during the vaction, it actually feels very free and relaxing. I don't bulldoze my family, they are happy following me, knowing that Mom will keep them out of long lines and get them to the rides they love. I enjoy planning so much, it is a big part of the Disney experience for me, and I enjoy the fact that my planning makes the vacation seem effortless once we get there. There is no debating where to eat, getting turned away because of no availability, no standing in line for an hour with a cranky baby, no wandering around aimlessly and stopping in the middle of walkways to try to figure out where we are and where we are going.

Don't feel ashamed of your planning complusion, use it to your advantage! Milk it for all it is worth before your trip, because before you know it, the trip will be over! Just make sure in the midst of your planning that you've planned to relax!

Oh, and regarding those that are saying less planning makes for a more relaxing vacation, if you are like me, and it sounds like you are, less planning might make you frantic! I would be miserable without a plan...seriously. Not relaxed, but very tense and stressed while trying to figure out what to do next with my husband and 4 kids. I NEED a plan. I CRAVE a plan. I will have a PLAN, and I will love and enjoy every second of my vacation! Planning can be very relaxing, and people that aren't planners can't understand that.

I agree with one of the other posters that say don't share too much detail...if other members of your party aren't planners, just give them the basics, not the details, or you will see their eyes glaze over...
    Upcoming trips:

Universal (1st time)
    September 5-8 Portofino Bay
    September 8-15 Poly GV Concierge
    MNSSHP

Oct 10-13 GF
    Nov 16-19 Contemporary 14th Floor

We've stayed at:
    Poly (Concierge),POR,POFQ,Pop WL (Concierge),AKL, Yacht Club (Concierge)
    Boardwalk Inn (Concierge)

Post Thanks / Like

If planning ahead of time lets you relax while you are there, then plan away. Especially for a first trip. Be flexible, especially for weather or illness. Might have to move MK to a "better" day on a whim. But all the planning will just make those quick changes that much easier.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

I probably enjoy the planning as much as the vacation. Changes here and there as the time grows near are part of the challenge. It seems every time I think I have it finalized, I realize I forgot something or didn't allow enough time for travel. After a couple trips where the itinerery (Neatly typed and in a 3 ring binder) was totally blown out of the water, I realized it ok to plan but be ready and totally willing to trash the schedule and continue with whatever it is you are doing if you are have a good time.

Of course there are some thigs you want to make sure you get to. We wnet on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour last time and we had to stay with that scheduling. Things ike that. Otherwise, wingit if the schedule get in the way.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be one of the "every minute planned" types. It worked. However..the kids were pretty young at that point. Mostly I'd say for our 1st trip. I think as they get older you have to be a bit more flexible. Color coordinating clothing..on a 14 year old?....I don't know if that's worth the bad feelings it might kindle.
    Also..keep in mind that everyone else reads the same guide books with the same tips. One funny experience..we were at the Orlando airport waiting for our luggage. I figured..no problems..we tagged it with red ribbons as guide book suggested. Well..how funny was it when all the luggage from our flight came out on the carousel and almost all the bags had red ribbons on them! My mom just looked at me and said "Guess everyone else read the same book you did."...Had to laugh, what else can you do. So dressing everyone in color coordinated clothing..with the color of the day..is something you see all the times in the parks. I think that it reassures parents more than it really does anything for the kids. I think kids look more for the familiar than anything new..they know mommy's shirt..because she wears it at home too. Just my feeling..having been through it and come out on the other side..having my litle ones be 15 and 19 now..although we started back in "91 with a 6 week old infant and his four year old sister, and 11 year old brother. Oh..and don't forget Grandma..who still loves Disney ! I really think there is a happy medium. You know when you see grumpy people they have either not planned at all...or they are planned out. I think you need ADR's and a general plan on what you want to see that day, and when you should see it, but leave room for just seeing what happens. I think a day just for the resort is a great idea. We choose the resort we do, so that we can enjoy it's amenities. It's a big part of the vacation also.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the kind of person who needs to have a plan too. I've never considered it a personality flaw. A good plan is essential to get the most out of a WDW vacation. You can go without one and still have a good time. But you'll experience more attractions and shows with a plan than without one. Just know that your plan is a tool to help your group have the best vacation they can. Not a strict, step by step, minute by minute, itinerary.
    Planning for your group - that's being helpfull. Freaking out if your plan is not followed to the letter - that would be a personality flaw.

Post Thanks / Like

With a lot of thing in my life I am WAY ocd, but I found that when it came to WDW, I had to loosen the reigns a little. I planned our ADR's and the things I would like for us to do while we were there. But we try to go for at least 7 days and usually more. That way, we can let the boys sleep in each morning for a while, let them choose what park for that day, and we get lunch based on usually the park, MY ADR's finish the day with their parks & get back to our resort late that evening only to do it all over again the next day. But we also go, as you will, when the park hours are a little longer in the evening, so we don't try to rush through the parks. We are able to stroll leisurely and let the kids set the pace of the day. It works much better for us this way, and everyone is pretty well relaxed. We also squeeze in some down time by the pool for a day or so, but like all of the other days, that happens when it happens. Just remember, it's not work while you're there and have fun! That's the most important thing to plan!
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: