Quantcast Can TOO much planning ruining a WDW vacation???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    southern Indiana - 16 hours away from paradise
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can TOO much planning ruining a WDW vacation???

I think I'm becoming a little OC(obsessive -compulsive) about my upcoming trip to the magical World of Disney. I'm the kind of person who NEEDS to have a plan. I'm always willing to change the plan but there always needs to be a plan of some kind. I feel lost if I don't at least have a general idea where I'm going to end up. With that said...Can this personality flaw mess up a Disney vacation?
    My gang and I will be going May 27 - June 5 but I have been planning this trip for well over a year now. There are 8 of us - Me, DH, DS8, DD6, DS2, my mom, my brother, and my niece14.
    I have all our packages booked and paid for,and all of our ADRs have been made and changed,...and changed,....and changed,....and finalized. I have all my family's clothes put in boxes ready to pack. I have even gone so far as to type up an itinerary listing wake up times and color for shirt everyone is to wear each day. (We are wearing matching colors so the little ones will be able to pick us out of a crowd if they get separated...one of my biggest fears)
    Have I gone too far? We still have 57 days to go but I could leave tomorrow if we had to. Will my obsession ruin this trip? Please help!!!!
    °0° Lori °0°
    '13--Pop and BCV
    '12--Pop and OKW
    '11--POR and AKV/BLT
    '10--POR
    '09--Pop and BCV -- Our first trip "home"
    '08--Pop and Poly-1st P&PP
    '07--Pop Century - 1st MNSSHP
    '07--ASMu--First family trip
    Many, many trips as a child with my parents

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, we are arriving about the same time as you and I too am an obsessive planner. Is this your first trip? I think the planning only can hurt if you do not enjoy the planning and if you get upset later if things don't go as planned. I planned extensively for our last trip which was my first trip to the world. I am so glad I did! However, lots of things did NOT go as planned, but I relaxed and had a great time. I tried very hard not to pressure my party when the kids found fountains to play in, or we all needed a snack, or the time at the pool never materialized etc. This time I am planning in ever more detail, armed with better information, but also with more realization that part of the fun is letting go of the plan when we want to. I really enjoy the planning, it makes me feel like I am at Disney all year (well a bit anyway). Have fun!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I think you need a good mix of planned activities and spontaneous activities. Some things need to be well planned like ADRs especially with the dining plan. But IMHO using a touring a guide and planning and timing everything is taking it way too far. There are too many factors that end up throwing you off track and it can make for a stressful experience. I have talked to people who tried following a plan and ended running so they would stay on track.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

From your signature, it appears that this is your first trip. The more familiar you can make yourselves with the park before you leave, the better, especially at the time of year you are going...it may be quite crowded.

That said, I fully agree with what thejens and JPL said. You should have some plan to guide you, but still be willing to deviate from the plan if something comes up that you would rather do and not get upset about it.

Bottom line, you will not be able to do it all in one trip, so it comes down to choices and priorities.

Have fun planning, and even more fun on your trip!
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

With it being such a crowded place (probably will be pretty busy on your trip) the best of plans will always change.Whether it be longer then usual ride lines...or a bus that you cant seem to catch. Things are going to kink up your plans.

I am going in July and I know it will be busy so my plans will change as well. I will be sticking with all of my meals of course....those are the key events that I want to enjoy. As for the rides...I told my oldest son (6 years old) to pick out 5 of his favorite must do's for each park and we will hit those. As the day goes on and we can do more...great. If we cant do any extra that is fine as well...we will just go back to the pool and relax, shop at downtown disney, or just walk around and enjoy the scenery.

Having fun is more important then sticking to the plan. Remember that and you will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that you'll be fine, planning is half of the fun! BUT... be ready to chuck the plan at the last minute once you get there if you have to. There are just some circumstances that you can't control.

When I was a kid my mom and I would plan every last minute of our trip. As an adult with my own family, I'm not that obsessive. I set our ADRs and then create a loose park strategy around them. But I probably go over my plan and my budget plan (I get everything paid for ahead of time) at LEAST once a day.
    ~ Kristen
    Disneyland - '78,'92,'93,'94,'95,'98
    Walt Disney World - '72,'73,'75,'76,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'83,'84,
    '85,'86,'87,'88,'89,'91,'96, '02, '05

Polynesian Resort with my Family & BFF, Dec '07!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Boy do I feel your pain!! You sound just like me. I, too, planned and planned and planned our last trip (group of 15) and left nothing to chance. I admit that I do not handle spontaneous well . I'm always worried we may never get to Disney again, so see and do everything possible!

Unfortunately, "yes" this type of personality can mess up a vacation. So all I can say is try the best you can to chill out and enjoy it - drink plenty of alcohol if you need to - it will all work out in the end.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you answered your own question in the third line of your post. You said, "I am willing to change it".......

Planning is a fantastic way of keeping your excitement level up, BUT......

Did you happen to see the Travel Channel special a year or so ago where they followed four families - one in each of the four parks - as they planned, and enjoyed their park. Each group approached their vacation at different levels. The family that was featured at AK, was a minister who had every detail of every day on laminated sheets that he had bound in a notebook for each member of his family. He had distance and time between each attraction almost in minutes and seconds. That's just a LITTLE much???

If this is your first trip (I got that impression too), you won't see and do everything - even if it's on the "list". As to whether that will ruin your vacation will answer the question if you're too obsessive/compulsive. I'm guessing you're not, because if you are you would already know it.

Relax. Have a plan, but don't wear yourself out trying to follow it to the last little detail. You're going to have sooooooo much fun.

Last of all, we all want a report when you get back.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

It is imperative to have a general plan (which park which day based on EMH, shows, etc), but I wouldn't go too much farther than that if I were you. One, the time you are going will be a bit busy, so what you think you can accomplish in an hour may take five hours. Secondly, the size of your group will come into play. Some may not WANT to do the same things as others, and waiting for rides, tables, etc. for your size party may take longer.

Flexibility is key!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

you should have an overall plan on like what parks your gonna do and where you would want to eat supper or other meals. but like you cant control what rides to ride. like you coould plan spending 30 minutes in splash mountain but it could take an hour or more. u just can't plan too much because if you do then if you miss something on your plan then it messes up your whole plan. i say that you wing it and just do what you feel like doing at the time. Also I have found this out, that if you are with others who don't like to plan a lot than your overplanning can be very annoying to them. I hope u have a great trip.
    Taylor

been over 10 times and aint stoppin.

Post Thanks / Like

The three of us- me, DM and DF- went to MK just for the day back in Feb. I know there isn't that much to plan- and we didn't make any ADRs. But the itinerary I created was pretty detailed- 3 months in the making! There were one or two musts I had to do in most sections. We didn't have to go to the HM. We all wanted to see POTC, PhilharMagic and ride the TTA. It was also a photo-op for me and DF so it wasn't just about the rides. I noted what places I really wanted pictures of. This was an amazing trip for me because there were places I had never seen before! For the first time went over the bridge from the Adventureland approach leading to Liberty Square and the castle. The view is amazing!!! The only things that we really stuck to were our 1pm lunch at Liberty Tavern and watching the 3pm parade. There are so many wonderful things that go on continuously at the MK!!!
    1974- First trip to the Magic Kingdom

southern Indiana - 16 hours away from paradise
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much for the reassuance. This board is such an invaluable resource to so many people because of all the time, effort, and knowledge put forth by all you wonderful intercotees. Thank you again. I would never survive planning this trip without all of you!!!!!!
    °0° Lori °0°
    '13--Pop and BCV
    '12--Pop and OKW
    '11--POR and AKV/BLT
    '10--POR
    '09--Pop and BCV -- Our first trip "home"
    '08--Pop and Poly-1st P&PP
    '07--Pop Century - 1st MNSSHP
    '07--ASMu--First family trip
    Many, many trips as a child with my parents

Post Thanks / Like

I also LOVE planning about WDW. Our 5th family trip is just 6 days away One of the main benefits of compulsive planning is what you LEARN along the way. That knowledge gives you a lot more flexibility in the park when your plans need to change (and they will!). You know what attractions lines get the longest in the afternoons, so you hit those in the AM, or fastpass them. You will (mostly) know where you are eating; maybe have a couple of choices in mind for counter services in the parks, so you don't have to walk 2 miles to get to your "planned" lunch spot. You will know your group may split up for certain rides, and meet back together for shows, etc. At WDW, Knowledge is better than planning. You won't be one of the families huddled around a park map just inside the gate going "What do you want to see first?" But you also don't want to be one of the groups yelling at their kids "Hurry, Hurry, we have 3 minutes to get to Buzz Lightyear. You can't stop to look at the castle now. It's not going anywhere"

One of my kids favorite activities (which helps me) is this: I made a list of every attraction by park. We looked at them online, and on the DVD planning video. They get to rate them by A, B, or C. They get 5 A's, and 5 B's, everything else is a C. (I have 2 DDs). We make every effort possible to see their A's. (only if they are not running have we missed one). B's are next, and C's if we have time and energy. I know it sounds compulsive, but I don't want to hear "I didn't get to see X while we were there and it was my most favorite thing".

Don't worry about planning, as long as it's fun. Your plan will change, but you will be able to make that change a positive instead of a negative with all your preparation!! Have a great trip!!!
    All Star Music - August 1997 Won Trip from Pooh's Grand Adventure Friendship Sweepstakes!
    Dixie Landings - July 1999
    All Star Movies - July 2003
    Port Orleans French Quarter - April 2007
    Port Orleans Riverside - August 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Planning is good I think the only time it can ruin a vacation is if you pour your heart and soul into every detail and get upset if plans change. You have to be flexible, especially with kids. There were days my children didn't want to go to the parks. They just wanted to play in the pool at our resort so we played in the pool and went to the park later! I have been to Disney only three times in the past 9 years and I have gone knowing nothing at all (which is why I don't laugh at newbies) and I have gone full of information. Knowing about the parks is priceless and most of my information and knowledge comes from Intercot
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

We plan very little.

We make our ADR's and use that to plan what parks, what days. After that, it is up in the air. We have been known to walk out the door of the lobby to go to a park and then change our mind and head to another.

We had Free Dining the past two years so that forced us to plan more then we like.

This year, we are DVC members and are not buying the DP. We made one ADR for my daughter and her Asherkus dinner..after that it is all up in the air. It works for our family.

I can totally relate to "overplanning", I am that way at home. Our yearly trips to the World give us time to just go and see where we go next.

Have a wonderful trip!!
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone on here pretty much agrees....Overplanning is fine. I still don't know how people can just show up to WDW without a game plan in mind or atleast do alittle research before their trip.

Anywho, I am an DPA- DIsney Planner Addict.

On my first trip last year, it was baaaad, but I was glad I did it. It gave our group a little structure, which always helps if you plan on going during a busy season like we did.

Alot of my plans did go out the window, because there are certain factors that can get in the way.

Like rain while you go through WS or your body is way too sore to wake up early for ADR at Chef Mickeys. It happens!

Plan your heart out! However, keep in mind that once you get to the park...things could change and that is okay, because you are at DW!
    Aug 2006-POFQ & MWC
    Feb 2007-DL
    Jan 2008-POP/DCL
    Sept 2009-Cont
    May 2010-POP
    May 2011-Poly/YC
    Sept 2011-Cont
    April 2012-POP
    Jan 2013- AKL
    Sept 2013- BLT/Swan
    Upcoming Trips
    April 2015- Cont/BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Let me first say I am a planner. I love to plan. The planning I love best is Disney! I think the key to understand about planning, is that you are basically educating yourself to what your choices are at WDW. Then you can decide which things are the most important to you that you get to experience! The rest is all icing on the cake!

I have friends that laugh at all the planning that I do. I have a"plan" for each park. Lots of times we chuck it all & go to the pool! But I can't imagine going to some place as vast as WDW without something of a plan!

I think the amount of planning you do or the lack of planning is a reflection of each individuals style. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it. It's your vacation, you are paying for it and it should be done the way you want it!

Enjoy!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

We have a little bit of a joke in my family: "The best plan is to plan that absolutely nothing will go according to the plan you've planned."

In all seriousness, planning is excellent, and even overplanning is still fine, but overplanning to the point where you're freaking out if things don't go exactly according to plan will positively ruin your trip. I see some families and want to remind them that they're at Disney World, not boot camp.

A good plan will make your vacation less stressful and more fun, but you can only plan so much. You can control (to a degree) where you go and when, but you can't control wait times, breakdowns, etc.. You also may find that you or someone else in your party may simply want to stray from your plan at times, and you just have to accept it. It's much easier to accept it and move on then to obsess over it (as hard as that can be at times - trust me, I know!). Have a nice outline, but remember to go with the flow, too.

The most important thing to remember is that you're on vacation to have fun, and to make sure that your plan allows for that no matter what happens. As long as your plan is flexible and leaves room for down-time and changes, then you'll be just fine.
    Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time.

And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few tips for you as a first timer who really likes to plan coming from a person who also likes to plan!

I realize this is your first trip and you will want to see it all, do it all. Unless you stay at Disney for weeks and weeks, that's not going to happen.

Pick about 6 or 7 attractions that are on the top of your list for each park - make that your "plan" any other ones additional to that are really gravy. That way you won't feel that you missed out on any of your goals and you've done better than planned.

You are really geeked up about the trip - that is great. Your kids will get tired before you do. I see so many families filled with joy at 9am and then the meltdowns start in the afternoon around 5pm, since the kids are really tired out. Maybe this won't happen on day one, but it will happen on day 2 or day 3. You are vacationing, so put some rest time in there at the pool! i think people feel that they haven't gotten their "moneys worth" if they haven't gone on every ride... remember this is about family time together.

Planning is great, but don't get upset if your plans get changed... Whatever you don't see/do this time around is something you can see/do next time!

Also, if you take your cell phone with you put your cell phone number in your kids pockets. If you get separated tell your kids to find a CM and they can have someone call your cell phone.
    Many, many visits since 1973....

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should all join Planners Anonymous!

I too am a planner, and I love it, and the people I am with love it! I agree, Disney planning is the best, and the more planning you do, the more you feel like you're there and not freezing your toes off in NH! (although it's beautiful today!)

Most trips are DH and myself. We have another couple that we went with last year and again I did the planning. It was their first trip and they have friends who had been many times, telling them the "must see/do's." We talked a bit on phone, sent many emails, and had one weekend get together for planning discussion. (they live 2 hrs away.)

The couple had such a great time last year, we're going again this year with them. They are eager to repeat some items (HDDR and Ohana's) and welcome new ideas.

I'm in my planning glory!! I had custom maps made, I made my own custom calendars, and we're looking forward to our first (and likely only) planning discussion in a few weeks.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as you can be flexible if the need arises, you'll be fine with a plan. Heck, I even have a back-up plan!!

Nov '07 seems so far away, but the planning helps time go by faster and makes it all the more exciting!

Enjoy!! Enjoy the planning, enjoy the trip, enjoy being with your family!

More trips than I can list, DVC Members since 2003.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: